MaineHealth Employee Reviews

Nice place to work
Psych Tech (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJanuary 18, 2019
I enjoyed working at mmc I worked there for about 5 years, I grew a lot, the hours there were perfect for my life, the pay wasn't to bad, I would have stayed there if I didn't move.
Incompetant Management
Pro Search Contractor (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJanuary 18, 2019
Contractors are thrown away like trash after they have loyally performed their duties. All their acquired knowledge is lost and the credit goes to the multitude of incompetent managers and project leaders who survive by brown nosing their superiors.

Toxic environment from the top down.
Many of the "IT" managers have zero background in IT and have only been promoted because they don't have souls.
Compartmentalization of duties and complete communications blackouts between departments. No coordinated efforts.

Outdated, and old tech, 10 years behind, practices that are completely antiquated. Complete lack of training materials.
No support from supervisors when an employee or team has concerns.

Overall, it's a great place to never apply to as their application process is so laborious you might as well plant an oak tree and wait for acorns. You would be rejected anyway as they promote from within usually those who are least threatening to their organization, i.e. those without ideas or independent thoughts.

Look elsewhere.
If you ever get sick, stay away from this place, everything is toxic.
Pros
Great coworkers.
Cons
Many, (See Review)
Good company having growing pains
Executive Assistant II (Current Employee) –  South Portland, MEJanuary 12, 2019
Very competitive now that we have completely merged. Young company trying to work with the "big wigs" is changing the atmosphere of a small company that loves its clients.
Pros
Good location, great co-workers
Cons
competitive, hectic
Organized and passionate about helping people
Volunteer Chaplain (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJanuary 11, 2019
This place really represents the heart of Barbara Bush as she built the children's wing. This hospital is the finest in Maine...even perhaps north of Boston
Pros
Growing
Cons
parking hard to find
The view of a CNA
CNAII (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJanuary 10, 2019
HARD WORK. You'll be loaded with patients and the nurses have too much to do, so good luck. Also, the pay for CNA's is terrible and MMC should be ashamed. You'll have job security because they need the help.
Benefits
Cons
what's a break? wages for CNA is terrible
Okay Place to Work
Dispatch Officer (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEJanuary 4, 2019
As a security officer your not given the tools to properly do your job safely and the job is not something I look forward to coming to work for. The pay is alright but for what we do on a daily basis I think we should be getting paid a lot more.
Pros
Paid Lunches
Cons
Not provided with the tools to do your job properly.
experience
Environmental Service (Housekeeping) (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJanuary 4, 2019
Is a health care institution providing patient treatment with specialized medical and nursing staff and medical equipment.The best-known type of hospital is the general hospital, which typically has an emergency department to treat urgent health problems ranging
It's been a wild ride
Patient Financial Services Associate (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, MEJanuary 4, 2019
I have been at Scarborough CBO for over 3 1/2 years. There were a lot of internal perks when I started. They don't do that anymore. I make 17.50 an hour from starting at 15. If you do ok, you get a 2 percent raise each year. We went open concept last year that is actually the reason a lot of people are leaving. It did nothing for us. It is now noisier, chattier, and 10 times less productive than it was. There is no peace to one's self. We made suggestions on how to fix things. We were ignored. We are frozen out of processes. People who do not do our jobs change our processes without asking us for input on how processes can be improved. The managers do not communicate with each other. They often do not know how to do what we do. The flex time is ok. There are no opportunities to advance. No opportunities to work from home. You are expected to attend a lot of time consuming meetings and do the same amount of productivity as if you were never interrupted. If you have ambitions in training, know that there won't be any pay increase with the move. Allowed to listen to your radio. You are allowed to take breaks, but expect people to let your manager know if you are missing from your desk longer than 15 minutes. You are not allowed creative freedom or independence. You are not given all the tools you need to do this job. The discounts aren't any thing you can't find on your own. 280 hours pto. Understand that a chunk of that PTO is holidays that they do not give you the option to work on. Overtime is gone as soon as it's offered.
Pros
Sometimes free snacks. Free cookouts, potlucks
Cons
Pointless meetings, lots of trainees, high turnover
Spring Harbor Hospital
Behavior Technician (Current Employee) –  Westbrook, MEDecember 29, 2018
Spring Harbor is not an enjoyable place to work and not because of the patients. Management does not support their staff and only care about themselves.
Pros
Patients
Cons
Low pay, dont always get a break, management is awful
productive fun place place
Medicare Coverage Analyst (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, MEDecember 18, 2018
My coworker are an amazing group of people. I have learned various task. The hardest part of the job is communication there does not seem to be any. Management is Management there are so many different areas with so many managers I feel it is very topheavy.
Pros
great benefits 0
Cons
compensation
Not for the Faint of Heart
Patient Financial Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, MEDecember 16, 2018
If you like messy, rude, office behavior, this place is for you. If you like nepotism, or slaving away in a fishbowl, this is the place for you. If you like not getting a raise or any chance of advancement, this is the job for you. If you like wondering if you are doing your job correctly or enjoy being micromanaged, this is the job for you. If you like management who smile in your face and then screw you over for job advancement, this is the place for you. If you have any other options, take them.

You have been warned.

Good Luck.
Pros
Cons
See Review
Exciting Work Environment, Compensation low
EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEDecember 16, 2018
Working for MaineHealth was very enjoyable at times. At certain times it can be exciting and very good for patient contact and getting immersed in the medical field. Although the work isn't bad, the compensation is low compared to other places.
Great hospital
CNA LEVEL II, ED TECH (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEDecember 15, 2018
Always had opportunities for further education, great management. Overall, exceptional employees. At cna level, often overworked due to lack of structure
I loved the job I did but not alot of the surroundings around me.
Sterile Processing Technician II (Former Employee) –  Maine Medical CenterDecember 11, 2018
I worked as a sterile Tech for 15 yrs and always liked the job.It got very overwhelming over time.You would come in and all work from day before was there and hard to catch up and focus on stats for the day and find things you needed.The hospital grew and added more OR rooms which meant more work but not enough employees to do it all.Was nice to come in and see everyone as the became your family after so many yrs.I felt over worked and underpaid mostly.The hospital changed their policies often and it didnt seem fair most of the time.I did like staying busy,independently doing my job and cared that my trays were being used on a patient in the OR.
Pros
Fast paced, Independently work
Cons
Not organized, Communication very poor, work ethics were poor
Beware
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEDecember 10, 2018
Stay far away from Otolaryngology. Everyone is clueless. No leadership. No communication. Extremely insufficient training. Lots of gossiping and negativity. Pay is pathetic.
Pros
Hour lunch breaks
Cons
No weekends
Poor Management/Poor salary
Records Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEDecember 7, 2018
Work atmosphere stressful, HR representation very poor for employees, salary very poor, not concerned about employee concerns, not appreciative of dedicated employees.
Pros
Health Insurance
Cons
Work atmosphere, HR representation
It is a hospital
Certified nursing assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, MENovember 30, 2018
It is a hospital. It is like most hospitals. The hours are long, the pay is low, the management is flippant. They make up for it all by providing full benefits.
Skewed priorities
Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, MENovember 29, 2018
My immediate culture and team are unmatched, but there are too many layers in this organization to get anything accomplished. The priorities often seem skewed away from what's best for patient care and promises are not kept.
Pros
Great Coworkers
Cons
Salary below industry standards; Compensation not commensurate with applicable experience and value.
done
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  South Portland, MENovember 14, 2018
Call center, very stressful, constantly watch your every move. Listen in on calls, expected to take 86 calls at the very least every day 90% of the time. Yet, still have to register families of maybe 4-8 people and that is time consuming. Take calls from patients for refills, appointments distress or suicide calls. These should be handled as calls come in and priority and care and sympathy and understanding given, We were pushed to get off a call and onto the next. .Very nerve wracking. Management sly sneaky and not on your side at all.
They are just fine if your kissing up to them and kowtow. If not then you are off their radar. It was quite simply the Very worst job experience I have ever had.
Pros
we were all in it together yet miserable
Cons
Worst job ever so under appreciated.
Fun plce to work
Professional Billing Epic Credentialed Trainer (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, MENovember 12, 2018
This is a fun place to work. Very much a team environment and growth with in the company is always encouraged. Management believes in people over process.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MaineHealth. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight