Maines Paper & Food Service, Inc. Employee Reviews

not a bad place to work
Receiver (Former Employee) –  Conklin, NYJanuary 14, 2019
long hours to work bad pay bad management only getting 30 mins lunch break not good training good coworks good place to work good benefits hard to get a pay raies
Pros
good benefits
Cons
bad managment
Need new management
Driver (Former Employee) –  Terrell, TXJanuary 8, 2019
Just like the title says. Need new management. The GM is a complete coward. The transportation mgr basically runs the yard. The gm has no leadership skills. They force people to run even if your over your hours and the drivers do exactly what they want. It used to be a great place to work but when the new management got into office it just spiraled down. The amazing part is corporate knows about it and does nothing. The transportation mgr talks horribly to the women in the office. Do yourself a favor and go somewhere else. You can do better!!!
Pros
Cons
Entire management team
Good environment great people.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, MDDecember 31, 2018
I love working at Maine’s paper and food if it were my decision I would love to have been able to move up and claim other positions. Some of the people that I encountered working here were wonderful as well as a few of the concept companies we served etc chick-Fil-a and Boston Market.
Management is the worse i have ever worked with.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Jessup, MDDecember 30, 2018
If you are liked it is shown. If you are not liked or to obey the rules you are an outcast. New hire training is awful almost non existent . All they care about is getting the loads out. Even if it means a driver runs illegally
productive and everyone is very nice and hlepfu;
Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 28, 2018
Enjoyable work place. Friendly people and hard work. the mangers are very understanding. custumer survice is a big part of we keep custumers coming back.
Pros
long breaks
Cons
not enough pay
Ok
Driver Helper (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, MDDecember 19, 2018
It was a good job but it had some long hours but you get to travel a lot. If you like traveling this could could be a great opportunity. The drivers get paid pretty well.
Not well run
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Savage, MD 20763December 18, 2018
Maines Paper and Food service is the worst company any person could ever think of working. The company CEO, CFO and COO are horrible people. The Maines Bros are good people and I do not understand why they can continue to allow people to ruin their company. In the past couple of years there have been a couple of their companies close as well as several stores. I would not recommend anyone working for Maines as it will not be around long. A company with little to know assets there is nothing to sell, thus employees will be jobless.
Pros
A paycheck
Cons
Upper Management, unstable, employees are overworked.
Losing Business / Closing Centers
Transportation (Current Employee) –  Conklin, NYDecember 15, 2018
Maines is so bad at delivering they are actually losing business to the tune of 3 million dollars as of January 1, 2019. Not only that but they are closing down centers across NY and MD. As of April the Aberdeen location is closing. Drivers and other Employees are being laid off all throughout the Company. Terrible place to work, no home life, management doesn’t care, moral is low, no employee appreciation. Don’t work there, trust me, they won’t be around much longer.
Pros
10% off at Maines Store
Cons
Losing business, no moral, laying off, no family time
Lacks everything
Driverv (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 28, 2018
This company should be completely shut down never to be able to do business again , there lires and thieves and treat there carriers like slaves and hit them with unexpected charges
Pros
Want high demand
Cons
Dont deliver
Fun place to work
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 27, 2018
No family time and work all holidays only work four days schedule. But the money change have to do more routes to get the money. It will take your life away from you.
Pros
Good money at first
Cons
No family time
Hard Knocks Company
Director (Former Employee) –  New YorkNovember 26, 2018
Like all other businesses in the food industry Maines can grind the paint off of a person. The difference between Maines and the others is that they have a tendency to incinerate bridges with their customers as well. I have never seen a management organization act with such hostility and malice to a customer, upon seeing this I realized that this is not a place that has a sustainable future. Managed to penny and leveraged to the hilt.
Quick Paced
Fork Lift Driver (Current Employee) –  Farmingville, NYNovember 12, 2018
Overall the work environment is positive. Management allows flexible hours which is a plus meaning we finish our job early we have the option to leave. The hardest part of the job is the product lifting and the most enjoyable part is driving the forklift.
Pros
we can work at our own pace
Cons
dirty
Work was cool
Forklift Operator/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Oakwood, OHNovember 12, 2018
the day was cool I learned how work little faster that was good management was ok at time work culture was real good all the guys was real cool,hardest part was dilling with people sometime oh did want to work
Pros
good people
Cons
the pay
It’s not worth it.
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Farmingdale, NYNovember 4, 2018
Overall... it’s just not a good job... that’s if you don’t like to work hard.
Also... if you have no life as well because they like to call people on their day off.
Management doesn’t stick up for their drivers or workers.
Favoritism .. absolutely.
The only good thing about Maine is the pay.
Well... they have to pay you to keep you, but ... it’s biweekly.
I enjoyed it
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, MD 21001November 1, 2018
I don't mind the stress and fast pace and long hours just the long days everyday can sometimes get to you. The pay checks were nice when you could spend them
Pros
not bad pay checks
Cons
long work weeks
Very good
Driver (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TNOctober 30, 2018
Very great to work atmosphere.Good people and good equipment.Really good experience and I enjoyed working here.Maines manager's are very friendly and compassionate.
Physically and Mentally Exhausting
Transportation Manager (Former Employee) –  Terrell, TXOctober 30, 2018
Brutal place to work. Favoritism by management forced out a senior management employee because of the “good ole boy” cliche that exist!

Wish HR was more responsive to employees concerns.
Pros
Solid Employees
Cons
General Manager
Great workplace, never home enough
Delivery Route Driver (Current Employee) –  Conklin, NY 13748October 23, 2018
Pay's there, hours are definitely there, home-time is lacking. Definitely not worth working for if you'd like to be home with your wife and kids 10-20% of the week. Otherwise, great place for the hard working American. Also, no set schedules. Scheduling asks for a months notice if you have plans, but can't even have a schedule 2 weeks in advance (schedules are made out week by week).
You've never seen horrible management, until you work here
Order Selector (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, MDOctober 21, 2018
First of all, if you're an experienced selector, you can make a couple Grand a week with these hours. Some people make $30+ an hour here. That's literally the only good thing about it.

Management is the most uneducated, favoritism showing, lying bunch of vessels I've ever seen in my entire life. You ask them a question, that you may know the answer to already, they will have no problem lying to your face. There is a supervisor here that does absolutely nothing all day, and probably makes 60k a year. Yes, he does absolutely NOTHING. He's a condescending, worthless, disgusting person. He's always making remarks to the pickers about the younger women that work there, and he's old enough to be their grandfather. Nobody in corporate cares. The WM is OKAY, but you can't trust him either. If you are a good picker, and you have an emergency, or get injured and need to leave, your job WILL be threatened. The harder you work, the more you get treated like a slave, a dog, and a piece of garbage.

The training for these new people they keep hiring, is a complete joke. They tell them what to do to pick, and into the shark infested water they go. They end up picking slow, in the middle of every aisle, and if you're a selector, you know how annoying that is. They need more lift drivers, and management needs to learn how to adjust the schedule. Two of the busiest days, have the most people off. Since I've been here, no changes have been made to fix this problem.

The place is a death trap. The late GM that just got fired for being a useless tool(idk how the rest of them are still
  more... employed) kept making a big deal about music(headphones), but people are picking in sneakers, the equipment is complete garbage now, the dock is a death trap, some selectors are complete lazy sacks of you know what, and people come to work on all kinds of stuff.

They give you a rate to pick at, depending on where you're picking. A bunch of people aren't hitting rate in the dry area, and none of them have been fired for that, even though that's why we were working 20 hour days. Yes I'm being serious...we worked many of those. You got a guy in the freezer, who's best buds with the main manager, and he picks 1500 cases in a 15 hour shift. That's 100 cases an hour, when the freezer rate is 190-195 cases an hour. He still works there.

This place is only good if you need some cash, but 2 years is the max I would suggest for you young cats that wanna good paying job. Until this trash management is replaced, it's a no fly zone.
Pros
Great pay if you're not lazy
Cons
Terrible management, death trap dock, horrible hiring staff, horrible equipment, Terrible management
Great place to work for
Transportation Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oakwood Village, OHOctober 19, 2018
Working at Maines Paper and Food Service was the best thing I've ever done. They staff were very friendly and straight forward same goes for the drivers. The job is very very relaxed. I was able to do my own thing 90% of the time without worrying about anyone else. I would HIGHLY recommend working here.
Pros
Everything is amazing long breaks and as many breaks as you want
Cons
The campus isnt very large, and parking is sometimes an issue.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Maines Paper & Food Service, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.