Mainstreet Credit Union Employee Reviews

An okay place to work
Teller III (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSFebruary 12, 2019
The management tries to pressure people into moving up even if they’ve been told the individual is not interested. The pay is okay, but many of the members are very rude and do not care about rules and policies.
Pros
Great health insurance, dental, and vision.
Cons
Pressure to advance
Not a good option for experienced bankers
Employee (Former Employee) –  BranchOctober 19, 2018
It's an okay place to bank as long as you don't need anything out of the ordinary but I would avoid it for employment purposes. There are little to no checks and balances or accountability. Lack of staffing, security and leadership put employees well-being and overall happiness at a risk. If you've worked in the financial industry before it will seem awkward to you immediately. Loans and loan goals are the only thing important to management which seems odd for a non-profit. They have some very good people but don't acknowledge them and praise the ones that don't quite deserve it. There is a huge disconnect between the main office and the branches. The only opinion management will have of you comes from the mouth of the branch manager alone. If you end up on the wrong side of that situation you might as well leave as your opinion will not be heard.... no matter the approach. I truly believe that my previous manager is a good person but wasn't capable of handling confrontation.... be it a slimy member hitting on the staff or employee related issues that needed addressed. Instead problems are ignored or brushed under the rug until the point of disaster.

Common case of the "right people in the wrong role". It's very sad because there is a lot of wasted potential and turnover as a result. Happens too often that people are given or take management positions based on tenure or pay but don't possess the leadership skills to do the job.... leaving others suffer the consequences. This may not be the case company wide but it certainly was the case at my location.
Pros
Pay and a climate controlled environment
Cons
Everything else
Best credit union in KS
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSOctober 11, 2018
One of the best credit unions around. They are making changes for the better. Good company to work for. If a job is open I would recommend that you apply for it. This company won’t let you down
Career Changing
Loan Officer (Current Employee) –  Lenexa KSAugust 23, 2018
Mainstreet Credit Union has been a terrific place to work. I was employed with MCU for 5 1/2 months before being recognized for my hard work and being promoted. Our management team is always willing to listen, and work with anybody in just about any situation. I would highly recommend someone to work here if they are looking for a fun atmosphere with career growth and fair pay.
Worked at Lenexa, was so bad
Teller II (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSAugust 15, 2018
The manager was awesome, the assistant manager was the absolute worst person ever though. Did not work around my schedule and super unorganized. Either really busy or really slow and you have nothing to do while slow. Plus you dont normally get breaks because they are "too busy"
Fast but you get some good experience
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  United StatesJuly 11, 2018
It is fast paced and you have to be astute mentally but you can work with some great people. A good place for an entry level seeker or someone who is looking at an intermediate career change.
Pros
Good Pay and Good with members
Cons
Had long hours lately
Worst Place I've Ever Worked
Branch Associate (Former Employee) –  KansasJuly 7, 2018
I was optimistic about joining Mainstreet, but shortly after starting, it became clear that the management from CEO down has serious deficiencies. People are promoted to management based on their years of service, not because they're the best person for the job. The most demeaning managers I've seen work for Mainstreet. I consistently worked over 50 hours a week under stressful conditions, which was made worse by the lack of support from coworkers. There isn't a team environment; judgement and attitude are the norm when interacting with support departments. The board of directors needs to make changes in management, and then bring in people to make quick and significant changes to promote a healthy workplace.
Pros
Pay- Consider a higher than average salary hazard pay
Cons
Everything else
Targeted
Manager (Current Employee) –  KansasMay 6, 2018
The immediate management here is great unfortunately I have seen so many things that break federal regulations and laws. But the credit union is so far behind in the times that they choose member wants over federal regulations which then puts the employees at risk. If you dare to want to protect yourself, your reprimanded. The health insurance is horrendous, I've never paid so much for so little coverage.
Pros
Team
Cons
Healthcare
Unfair
teller (Former Employee) –  Mission, KSJanuary 11, 2018
I loved my job but am no longer employed there. This company shows favoritism and isn't fair to hard working employees. They hire and fire at the drop of a dime based on personal opinions. HR is a joke and doesn't take time to listen to ongoing employee concerns.
Pros
Was a good company at one point, great customers
Cons
Unfair
Mainstreet
Teller III/Lead (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KS, Lenexa, KSJanuary 10, 2018
We are always short staffed, overworked, stressed, and working over our normal 40 hours a week, management is a joke, there is favoritism, as well as not much discipline. The company pays well however it's not enough for what they put you through day to day.
No career advancenment opportunities
MSR III/Loan Officer (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSNovember 11, 2017
I have enjoyed working for Mainstreet Credit Union, however there are very few opportunites for career advancement. After 3 1/2 years of working for this company, the trend seems to be that when ever there is an opening for any type of a promotion all new hires seem to be external.
Cons
No job advancement opportunites
Caring Environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSOctober 30, 2017
I process payroll and new hires/terminations; benefits; board reports/minutes/travel arrangements; order supplies. The job is stressful due to the amount of details to remember.
Quik Paced and Fun place to work
Teller III (Former Employee) –  Mission, KSMay 16, 2017
A typical day at Mainstreet was very busy. A lot of multiple tasks to complete at once yet very relaxing management. Very busy with great customers and customer service.