Major Tool & Machine, Inc. Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
interesting place to work
Welder Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 23, 2018
if you like working on large scale projects from start to instillation this could be a place for you there is some travel with this job to were ever the customer needs the product installed at they also do some gov contracts mostly military
Precise & Precision @ Major Tool and Machine
Quality Finisher (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 7, 2018
A typical work day at Major Tool and Machine is not necessarily a fast paced kind of day. Its more about being precise while using precision when handling product.
Pros
Great Hours
Cons
Poor Benefits Package
balanced and steady work.
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 29, 2017
My manager a micro manager, always looking over your shoulder and questioning everything you are doing. the things i liked about my job were, loading a part in my machine and machining it and seeing it work.
Pros
bonuses
Cons
short lunches
An okay place to work
Welder (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN 46218June 8, 2017
Need new HR employees. Management was good. Had a lot of issues with human resources . was not properly trained in attendance policies. Not too compromising for family issues .
Pros
good pay
Cons
long hours, hard labor, doesn't show too much concern for employees well being
Interesting opportunities.
Shipping Clerk/Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 25, 2016
Major Tool is a premier fabrication shop. The scope of work is diverse and challenging. The staff is a very highly skilled group.

Where else can you work on a space capsule, a fusion reactor, and a part of a candy making machine in the same week?
Pros
The work is challenging and keeps you involved.
Cons
Everything is always rushed to the last minute.
Good work environment
Nuclear Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 6, 2016
Benefits are comparable to other companies in the industry, lots of opportunities to work on new and exciting projects, limited opportunities for advancement
Pros
401k, nice environment
Cons
Engineering department is dated and could use ergonomic upgrades
cultchure changes at major tool, is leaving them desperat at best in thier manegment of employies skills
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 10, 2016
regular hours,w/varied amounts of overtime.increased wageg at a very slow rate copared to other shops ive worked for. pleasant environment w/steady dependable co-workers.hardest part of the day was dealing w/ under skilled supervisors who were brought in to help turn things around. most enjoyable part of the the day was succeeding in a very risky environment. when theres a hundred bullets coming at you at once u cant dodge them all.
great place
CNC & Manual Machinist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 19, 2015
good place to work just got laid off from the job. it is a big place with a lot of machines. the time I was there I did a lot working on different machines and getting tooling together
Custom manufacturing environment with a diverse customer base
Nuclear Quality Inspector (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 17, 2015
My primary function as a CMM operator was to verify conformity to product specifications either manually or via programs. I was also required to make temporary program modifications and report events which prompted such modifications.

I became a Nuclear Quality Inspector after reading industry by-laws and performing nuclear inspections accordingly.

My management team was very supportive and practiced an open door policy relative to product and work place environment.

Communication with administrative, engineering, machining, and maintenance personnel was productive due to everyone's skill level and desire to produce on-time quality products.

The hardest part of the job was not having the immediate access to support staff due to my 3rd shift (10pm-6am) assignment; however, I enjoyed overcoming those obstacles along with the degree of analysis that was required to process the unique products MTM manufactures.
Pros
The environment that management created which encouraged individual input for areas of improvement.
Cons
75 mile daily round trip commute
Good work place, Good people, Employees are cared for and listened to.
Welder (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 16, 2014
Good company, work side by side with really experienced people. Major Tool and Machine was my first big employer. Learned a lot of core values from the few moths I worked there.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
Low pay for work demand
Tool Setter/Inventory Control
Tool Setter/Inventory Control (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 9, 2013
I enjoyed working for this company. I worked third shift so i worked independently by myself all night. I enjoyed all parts of this position.
good core values
Welder/Fabricator (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 10, 2013
family owened facility and they take very good care of there emplyees. very hard and precision work, but makes you proud of what you're building.
Productive, Fun place to work with a ping-pong table at lunch time.
Tool-setter (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 20, 2012
I work the Grave-yard shift starting at 10:pm and working til 6:am, unless I needed to work overtime for an hour or two, which I had no problems with, (or) the Mgmt. (or) with my co-workers. The hardest part of the job, was when I could'nt full-fill setting a tool because the tool crib might be out of a certain cutting tool at the time. I learned to do what was ask of me in a timely manner to the best of my ability. we did have enjoyable lunch's, because we were able to play ping-pong.
Pros
ping-pong at lunch time
Excellent Place to Work
Welding Engineer (Former Employee)September 13, 2011
At Major Tool we worked on projects that most companies did not have the capabilities to perform. There was a wide variety of experience and the people were great.