Make A Wish Foundation of America Employee Reviews

a life time of fun and amazing feeling
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 7, 2018
When working with the Make-A-Wish Foundation, it was a fantastic opportunity to work with these children who wanted nothing but their dying wish. And with just being able to give a child a little more to help with their dream made me feel like their little superhero. Every cent counted, and I was trying to reach for the stars for those children.
Pros
making a childs dream come true
Cons
not a long enough time to collect money
Operations tasks
Operations Office Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 24, 2018
This is by far the best job I have ever had. I have been able to develop myself and grow within the organization while aiding in wish giving! My boss is flexible and understanding of the work-life balance.
Great work, poor leadership
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 8, 2018
Loved working there, but my boss was extremely racist. She slowly replace the whole team with Asian race.. There were continued complaints to HR, but nothing was ever done. The last person to leave had worked at MAW for 17 years. A very sad time. They finally fired the boss, but the damage was already done.
Poor leadership from the top
Sr. Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 13, 2018
Turnover is extremely high; lots of qualified employees left because of its poor management and bad culture; Most HR staff quit in late 2016. It took a year to refill all HR positions, by June 2018, all newly hired HR staff quit. Make-A-Wish operates with a skeleton crew in HR. Ever since Make-A-Wish promoted someone be the COO, the culture went south and it gets worse now. A change in the top management is in desperate need.
Pros
Free ice creams
Cons
Poor Management; gossip in Accounting/Finance department;directors do not respect lower level staff;
Awesome work environment with sweet coworkers and the best families!
Intern (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 9, 2018
Interning at Make A Wish was life changing, it was really an eye opener to see how you never really truly know what is going on in families lives around you.
Excellent people and work environment
Project Management Intern (Former Employee) –  Trumbull, CTJune 5, 2018
Worked on a wide variety of tasks ranging from contacting families and volunteers to budgeting and booking wishes. Quickly and easily mastered administrative tasks using data management systems such as SalesForce and Raiser’s Edge. The work environment was excellent and I will truly miss the people I met working there.
Great mission, wonderful people!
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 30, 2018
Every organization has its pluses and minuses, but Make-A-Wish America is way above average in their commitment not only to their mission but to their employees. Sometimes they stumble but they have a great heart.
Surprisingly a horrible work experience
Administration (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 26, 2017
I've been with Make A Wish for over 5 years now and have seen the National Office work place go from incredibly wonderful to watch your back type environment. Years ago we had great leaders who not only understood the mission but really cared about the employees who were working to achieve that mission. Now our leaders seem more about their own career advancement and pushing people around with their high demands and disrespectful tone that it's no longer a fun place to work. The CEO either is oblivious or just doesn't care and counting down the days to retirement. I am looking myself and can't wait to get out. I'll miss the old days and the wonderful people that worked here. I would not recommend any position within the National Office. If you really like Make A Wish, I would work work for a chapter.
Pros
Free ice cream
Cons
Poor management, hostile work environment, no job stability, and no room for advancement.
Mistake choosing Make-A-Wish for internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 25, 2017
Great mission but was treated like a elementary school student versus a University student. The people in the areas that I worked in were so fake and unfriendly, I actually questioned my major but then realized they are not a true representation of the general nonprofit world. My biggest takeaway was don't assume that if an organization has a great mission that the people would be just as great. That is not true based on my internship. I worked in areas such as centralized financial services, internal audit, and chapter advancement and wherever I was needed. It seemed like I was just there to do busy work or the general work the salaried staff just didn't want to do. I was hoping to learn much more than I did. I could give them a pass for not being organized but no pass for being mean and unkind.
Pros
free ice cream and sometimes leftovers after meetings
Cons
Unfriendly people, unorganized, poor management
Big No to Compliance
Senior Consultant (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 17, 2017
I know people who have worked for compliance. Very high turnover in both auditors and in management. I would not recommend the compliance auditor position unless you are a recent grad. Highly dysfunctional area of MAW. I would not recommend the compliance auditor position to anyone I know.
Pros
CEO communicates to his employees
Cons
Treat lower level employees like garbage. Directors rule like dictators and some are self serviing.
A mission driven organization
Sr. Manager CRM Professional Services (Former Employee) –  RemoteJuly 31, 2017
The best part of this organization is the impact it has on the community it serves and the kids and families it helps. This is a national organization that has a presence in all states and has 62 chapters currently.
review summary
Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 18, 2017
MAW has a great workplace culture and very welcoming to all employees, volunteers, and interns. The building itself is in a central location. I enjoyed my experience
Amazing Workplace
Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 31, 2017
You meet a lot of new and amazing people, interact with volunteers and many children. Grant the wishes of children and provide happiness and faith to children of medical conditions.Opportunity of a life time.
Co-workers
McDonalds Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Dunnellon, FLJanuary 23, 2017
The job is mostly fast pace and jammed. I seen that most of the time the customer wasn't right but to keep the custom happy do whatever they ask. Hardest part bout the job really is the commotion, lack of togetherness and communication
Made me feel amazing
Make A Wish Wish Granter (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 5, 2016
While working up to grant the wish through ETC- All Americans, I struggled to make the practices, I lived an hour away. But when I went to perform for the girl, I saw the smile on her face and it was amazing
Important Business
Media Assistant/ Photographer (Former Employee) –  MSNovember 29, 2015
It was my responsibility to call Wish families and fill in the information that may be lacking. Sometimes it was nothing but an extra cell number, other times it was a parent or doctor telling me the severity of the child. I took great pride in being involved with such a great team of ladies and gentlemen. The organization is well staffed and I observed generosity at its finest.
Pros
free coffee
Maw
Wish granter (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INAugust 16, 2015
Make a wish has been an extremely rewarding foundation to volunteer for. I found it to have many different aspects that have influenced my work ethic in many different fields.
Enjoyed working with staff
Assistant MIS (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 25, 2014
What a great place to work especially the children it provides services to.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
No cons
I would not want to return
Analyst - Data Reporting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 16, 2013
Greatest mission on earth!! They tend to not share that compassion back to their employees. Underlying expectation that you should want to work as a volunteer, therefore be happy with the pay they "give" you.
Pros
many free things from corporate partners (food, coffee, events)
Cons
under market pay with an attitude.