MakeSpace Employee Reviews

You'll have to go and apply for Welfare and Food Stamps if you are a truck driver for this employer
Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 6, 2018
Make Space advertises truck driver pay at 27 an hour. You are told, not guaranteed forty hours a week, but hours are advertised from 9:00 pm to 5:00 am. A regular work week here is not 40 hours, but 30 hours / 6 hour days. They will deduct a 30 minute unpaid break whether you work 1 hour or 6.
Do not come here as a big time truck driver. It will be a foolish mistake. You barely work 10 to 15 hours a week and you don't work every day. It is a split work week, in other words, your days off are on a weekday. You will work weekends and holidays, if there is work. If there is no work you will be notified at the last minute. If you start to approach the max hours, you will be given days off that week.
Pros
Cons
Minimal hours unannounced days off barely any hours at all
Fun workplace.
WAREHOUSE LEAD, & WAREHOUSE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CAApril 17, 2018
understaffed but management is very understanding when it comes to work/life balance. Also is a great, calm atmosphere to be productive in. cant complain about the free lunch.
Learning
DRIVER / HELPER FOREMAN (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 27, 2018
I love working at makespace great learning experience room to grow you the pay is good they have great staff I wouldn’t mind going back there and workingv
Fun place to work
Driver/Mover (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 20, 2018
MakeSpace is a great place to work. The pay is competitive and great, there's also room for advancement with in the company. The workplace culture is unlike any other workplace out there.
Experience at the startup world!
Manager of Operations (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 13, 2018
Having worked under startups type of environments in the past, I have come to realize that MakeSpace is very different in the way it engages with its employees from hourly associates to salaried. The leadership has been able to establish a culture of trust by being transparent and consistent with its core values.
Pros
-Amazing culture of DOERS., -Collaboration and support throughout the organization., -Fast paced and outstanding ownership to achieve results., -Balanced expectations when it comes to deliverables & priorities.
Cons
-High degree of ambiguity around processes., -Often too frequent iterations of new ways of doing things on behalf of the customer., -Not structured performance reviews.
No career growth
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 27, 2017
Poor company to work for with lack of career advancement. My direct manager was pompus, unmotivating and did not communicate effectively. There is no positive reinforcement whatsoever. Do yourself a favor and don’t work for a company that doesn’t value its employees.
This company is terrible
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Vernon, CAOctober 11, 2017
I hated working at this dreadful company...me and most coworkers called it breakspace/fakespace/shamespace.They lied to mostly all the employees guaranteeing them job security but ended up letting most of them go. The breaks were close to none and constantly were on your back about it. The only thing I can say I liked about it were the coworkers I builded a bond with.
Pros
Free shirts that you can wipe your butt with
Unfortunate
Mover (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 11, 2017
I really loved working there too bad things worked the way they did I don't think I should've been fired this was a matter of moral and not financial.
Horrible management. Very unorganized.
Assisting Co-team members (Former Employee) –  Vernon, CAJuly 23, 2017
The first start of the job was cool and work was steady. As the weeks started going by, I kept getting more and more off days and shorter checks....
Pros
Getting tips, exploring the city.
Cons
horrible management. No stability. (Dont waste your time here)
Worst job ever demoralizing.
Furniture Handler (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 12, 2017
Talent unrecognized, raises promised at start of employment not given. Management too young and unqualified. Customers told by sales rep not to tip that employees pd well!!
August 24, 2017

Raises are based on performances, not something we promise anyone upon hiring. Tipping is up to our customers, and it is not something we forced upon them.

Promises unfulfilled
Furniture Handler (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 2, 2017
Pros
If yr young n dumb this job for you
Cons
See above
August 24, 2017

It's ok
Supervisor/Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 12, 2017
Stressful at the end of the month. But you gain work experience, such as properly lifting, building pallets, working together as a team, and driving skills
August 10, 2017

Glad to hear that our training programs is beneficial and working!! We do know how busy it gets at the end of the month and we sincerely appreciate all the hard work everyone puts out. If there is any changes you think or feel would benefit everyone, please remember we have a open door policy. Feel free to step in and talk to us.

inovative and exciting start up company enviornment
Uploader/Driver/Mover (Current Employee) –  Greenpoint, NYMarch 24, 2017
Great hard working team of workers. Makespace is new and operations managers seem to be making it up as they go. open communication between departments is diminishing instead of expanding. fridge stays stocked with snacks and company has catered meetings and events.
Pros
lots of overtime during busy seasons
Cons
favoritism lowering morale
great start up. Many issues to work out.
Intern Ops Manager/Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 13, 2017
No balance between home life and work. no loyalty to the workers. Company is all about profit and do not really care about workers or their family life. If you cannot give them 60 hours every week you will fall off
Average workplace
Lead / Driver / Mover (Former Employee) –  Vernon, CAMarch 7, 2017
Working for Makespace was great when i started they treated you great
and your work was actually appreciated .
being a mover has its both good and bad but overall it got the bills paid .
Pros
Free Pre meals
Cons
Very Short Brakes
August 10, 2017

Thank you for your insight. We strive to keep everyone happy and without insights, its hard to do so. If there are any changes you think or feel would benefit the everyone on the team, please remember we have a open door policy. Feel free to come in and speak to us.

Cool work environment
Team Captain / Driver / Mover (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 25, 2016
I enjoyed my time at MakeSpace. The team was cool and the work was fun. I definitely experienced my share of crazy stories but, all in all, everyday was different but the team of guys we had always got the job done.
Building a massive company
VP Strategy (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 23, 2016
Great team of extremely hard-working, collaborative, humble, and honest people, all singularly focused on building a huge company by disrupting the antiquated self-storage industry. Pace of change is very fast, as we're scaling every aspect of the company in order to keep up with unprecedented customer demand. I love coming in every day and having a seat in the cockpit of this rocketship - it's challenging in all the best ways. The hardest parts right now are that we run a very lean team, and we're all being asked to take on additional responsibilities and punch above our weight class. Some people are up for this challenge, but it isn't for everyone.
Pros
Collaborative atmosphere, collective responsibility, company trajectory
Cons
7-day operations can make it hard to get away
B Players Need Not Apply
Operations (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 22, 2016
Does self-storage suck? Yes, but I don’t jump out of bed every morning to go to work at MakeSpace because I want to “destroy the storage industry.” I come to work every day because I love to work with smart and passionate people that make me bring my A game every day.

HQ
The company founders think like athletes. They try to surround themselves with the best players and put them in positions to succeed. They don’t want yes men. High-achievers flourish. B players leave. It is a “New York” culture. It is not passive aggressive by any means. You need to speak up to have your voice heard. You need to be comfortable challenging not only others but your own assumptions.

Field
The field staff is the heart of the business. The drivers and movers interact with customers all day long and are entrusted with protecting and safely transporting customer belongings. Performance is valued over seniority. They have direct contact with senior management, with the CEO and COO regularly attending monthly dinners with the field staff and answering any questions or concerns. Their voices are heard with input to processes and how technology is being developed. They are also well-compensated and fully covered with healthcare.

Both HQ and the Field are unpredictable environments. No day is the same. If you want a job where you know exactly what is coming at you day in and day out, MakeSpace is not the place for you.
Pros
Rewarded for the value you are bringing
Cons
Growing incredibly fast - mistakes happen
Revolutionizing the storage industry
Director of Talent Acquisition (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 17, 2016
My experience at MakeSpace has been nothing less than enjoyable. Being able to work on real world problems, build a technology driven solution that is transforming the self storage industry, while having a direct impact on the lives of our customer and our rapidly growing staff has bene amazing.

We have a great group of really hard working, smart and driven people who are passionate about what this business strives for.
Pros
Great pay, solid benefits, stocked kitchen, amazing people, tons of challenges, growth opportunity, rewarding experience, your voice is heard
Cons
Unlike many businesses, we operate 7 days a week across 3 time zones which can be challenging to some.
Best Moving/Storage Company To Work For!
Mover and Driver (Current Employee) –  Secaucus, NJJune 17, 2016
Warehouse is organized and clean. Managers/co-workers are very friendly and helpful. Expanding company with room for internal mobility.

Positive and fun job for those willing to learn the business.

Provides the a ton of benefits to their laborers.
Pros
Good Pay, Free MakeSpace, free snacks/drinks/lunches, happy hours
Cons
Gets busy during peak times but what can you do.. part of the job.