Management Science Associates Inc. Employee Reviews

2.4
Ratings breakdown
No training given when asked for
Data Processor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 26, 2018
I was denied training which would have abled me to move up within my department. The time I was asking for training was given to a new employee who had only been there for less than a year wasn't at the level of someone who was there for 3 years and who was well acculated to the ins and outs of the system. I also believe because I am a woman I was denied the opportunity to be trained further and move up.
Pros
Cons
no training, no raises, no credit when due, no incentives
Stay away
Data Processor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 7, 2018
This jobs is a joke. There is barely any work. For a typical 8 hour day you’ll put in about 3-4 hours of “work”. You can get busy some days by doing brand ID and verification but most of the time your looking for work and asking you manger for work doesn’t help. Everyone watch’s Netflix at this job that how slow it is. Plus the company is dying more clients are leaving which leads to less work and layoff so no job security.
Pros
Can watch Netflix cause that how little work you have.
Cons
Lack of work, horrible management, mangers still think it high school, no room to advance, no job security
stay clear of this place
Data Center Technician 2 (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 5, 2017
Company is going down hill and has no future. the managers don't give 2 craps about you tell you in the hiring process that nobody gets study day light but that's a lie and everything is a joke to the boss along with not caring about their job nor clients.
Cons
worst job ever
Overall Good place to work
data analyst II (Current Employee) –  pittsburgh, paAugust 19, 2017
I thought an overall good review was in order for MSA. I've been there about a year and a half and find that they are very flexible, the hours are very reasonable, and as long as you do your job you can come and go without any hand-holding.

Admittedly, it's not the most competitive in pay or benefits but if you are someone looking to gain a large swath of skills MSA has huge opportunity to learn different technologies and data related skill-sets.

There has been a huge shift in the culture in the past couple years and it's no longer what many have described the culture to be. I work with a lot of young, fresh individuals and my direct supervisors and managers are always looking out for my and the teams success and opportunities.

It is very easy to come and do your day to day work and never ask for new projects and end up in a monotonous 9-5. MSA gives you both the opportunity to be mediocre (of your own fruition) and a chance to do really great things whether you stay there or take your skills somewhere else.
Pros
flexible, cafeteria on-site, learning opportunities
Cons
compensation/benefits
Company is lacking quality data/good relations with Clients.
Client Relations (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 6, 2017
Co-workers hate their jobs and management.
New management does not care if data is incorrect. Reputation of company is going down hill, and Clients are leaving. So many people are looking for other jobs.
Productive and a great learning experience
Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 5, 2014
Help Customers with various issues/errors using Help Desk tracking software to document troubleshooting steps and resolutions.
Not A Good Place To Work If You Have Skills
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 7, 2013
There is poor management. They manage by fear of what will happen next. I heard hearsay that my manager’s boss would have yelling episodes which I think made my manager “afraid” of her. My manager would then act in a way which would make my supervisor “afraid” of him. This appeared to happen in other departments, not so much the fear, but poor management that would make it harder for employees to do their job. There was no really good review of upper management. It appeared that anyone that had been there long enough and was in the right spot at the right time could get the job.

They got an outside firm to determine employee satisfaction. This is something that was totally unnecessary. The things determined from the survey could have been recognized in-house if they had good management. I don’t think that anyone who has any brains would have put anything negative on the survey. I think that there are a lot of unhappy people there ready to leave at the drop of a hat. There was even something about doing a study of employee performance to see who could park in their main parking lot. Seems like somebody had too much time.

They say that the employees are their number one asset. They don’t offer any tuition reimbursement. They offer in-house training, but mostly it is stuff that you could learn on your own. They do offer career changes, but it appears mostly that people changed jobs to get away from their old jobs. How well you did there did not depend how good you did your job. It depended on how nice you were to the right people. It seems like you only
  more... had a voice if your opinions/suggestions agreed with upper management. If your job workload was changed, they would dump into just any position. I have heard of people being dumped into “lesser” jobs after taking a leave of absence. When I was laid-off, I was told that I could check for other positions in the company, but nothing was done to help me. I had been there close to 20 years and it seemed like they would made up any reason to get rid of me and other people who had been there a long time to save money in some way. And it is not like the pay was great or there weren’t other positions that we could have been placed into.  less
Cons
Poor Management
Eh, its ok.
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 12, 2013
Most of the management have been at MSA so long they lack perspective/new ideas. The pay is about 20 percent below comparable jobs. Morale is negative/low especially since upper level people are constanly moving to better jobs. They can't hold on to good people. However, I don't think anybody ever gets fired here (unless they don't show up), not much work required for the low pay, and things are laid back/no overtime. Health Insurance is outrageously expense if you have a spouse/family.