Management Sciences for Health Employee Reviews

Great mission, company going through changes
Senior Project Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAAugust 21, 2018
MSH has been a great place to work with opportunity for growth and learning and interaction with smart, hard working colleagues around the world. Unfortunately, with several projects ending and not a lot of new wins, the company has gone through some downsizing. The culture is changing, hopefully for the better, with several recent changes in senior management. I hope some new business can help MSH build again into the robust, focused company it was a few years ago.
Msh
SR FINANCE PORTFOLIO MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJuly 4, 2018
People are dedicated to their work and are passionate about improving health for those in most need. There was a lot of reorganization and change due to lost awards.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Weak senior management
Good mission that has gone down the tubes
Sr Executive Assistant to the EVP and COO (Former Employee) –  Medford, MAJune 22, 2018
This firm has an outstanding mission and really good people working there. However, management (both middle and upper) consider themselves as perfect and are not open to any opinion other than their own. The company is bleeding good staff and the lack of projects is unfortunately forcing the closure of long-term offices in countries that can really use the type of assistance that MSH can provide.
Not a fun place to work
Finance and Operations Assistant - (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 10, 2018
After a year with MSH, I realized that It was difficult for me to move to a management position, therefore I decided to leave the company and joined Abt Associates.
Sweat shop; egomaniacal upper management
Business Resource Development (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMay 16, 2018
There were far too many outsized egos in upper management. Little room for advancement. Averse to change or criticism. In the NGO field, MSH was considered arrogant and overpriced. That is not to say there were not gifted, caring people there. There were. But they were worn down by the system there.

The pay was good, and the international experience was great. But there was no work-life balance, and, in part due to USAID schedules, I worked every holiday -- including Christmas and Easter -- while at MSH. The company was officially closed, but USAID often set ridiculous deadlines, like Jan. 2.
Excellent place with lots of talented people
Senior Program Associate (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMarch 28, 2018
I enjoyed working at MSH but had difficulty with family issues that conflicted with my job requirements. There was lots of collaboration, and there were many talented people who were helpful in the job place.
Pros
Family support
Cons
Travel conflicted with my family situation
Great place but slowly growing down the drain.
Project Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Medford, MAFebruary 5, 2018
When I started working at MSH, there was a fire in my colleagues bellies. Over the past two years, I’ve seen that fire die out die to a number of factors (the current President , lack of diversity in funding, poor advancement opportunities, etc.).
Poor leadership and lack of vision
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VADecember 11, 2017
The past 4 years in this company was a rollercoaster due to poor leadership and strategic decisions. Managers lacked the vision to understand and face the changes in the industry and balance the need of reducing cost and still keep the right technical staff to secure the confidence of donors, partners and staff.
Does not value employees
Senior Technical Advisor (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VANovember 22, 2017
Laid off without severance
Poor management
Sexist old boys club
Far too dependent on USAID funding
Morale cannot get any lower
Some low performing employees have protected status and remain employed
Relaxed place to work
Senior Project Associate (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 30, 2017
Although no much room for growth and low salaries, MSH has great benefits and value the work-life balance of it's employees. Diversity is something present in the organization.
Pros
relaxed workplace
Cons
low salaries
Hostile Work Environment
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Medford, MAJune 9, 2017
While reviewing Glass Door, you will see that the EAs are unprofessional and behave like school children. They create hostile work environments, and it is allowed.
Pros
Nice office surroundings
Cons
Hostile Work Environment / Unprofessional
The MSH Leadership Team is missing the people skills.
Senior Portfolio Finance Manager/ FP&A (Former Employee) –  Medford, MAJanuary 25, 2017
The best part of my work was the interaction with the project team and the team in the field. We all care about saving life worldwide no matter what.
However, the Leadership Team loss the people skills. Unfortunately, they are re-organizing every year without thinking of any consequence to any Unit and/or the staff in the field.
Pros
Free parking & 401K contribution
Cons
Location, very difficult to get to the office
Great Experience
BASICS PROJECT, Program Associate (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 2, 2016
Working with MSH was a great experience. it was crucial for ma formative years in project management. I had a lot of support from my supervisor, though the project had two other company partners.
Pros
learning a lot every day
Cons
project too short
Great mission-driven company but needs to build a better management team.
Deputy Director of Finance (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 11, 2016
There are many great projects but lack of leadership and support. As result, they are poorly managed. Since most people are placed in the project level and working on a project basis, there is no long-term career growth plan for each individual. The company needs to be more updated on pay scale with commercial businesses to attract more talents to serve the world better.
great atmosphere, terrible pay
Project Associate (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAAugust 3, 2015
nice people to work with, great work relationships were forged. the pay was terrible, definitely not to support someone who lives in the DC/MD/VA metropolitan area.
Pros
nice people
Cons
it's nonprofit in the worst way
Brilliant colleagues interesting work, not good for junior staff or anyone looking to move up.
Project Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 8, 2014
This is a great work environment for those just out of Graduate School or senior level employees. The staff are extremely knowledgeable in their fields and are very passionate about their work. There is a high is a high turn over rate due to constant changes in opinion from upper-level management. Much of the good work field staff and regular project staff does goes unnoticed or unrewarded by those at the top.
smart colleagues who work well in teams
Member of USAID (Former Employee) –  Boston, maJune 1, 2014
a stimulating environment with people dedicated to making a difference in international development
An international NGO with mission of strengthening national health systems for greater heath impact
Human Resources Specialist in charge (Current Employee) –  MbaleMay 7, 2014
A typical work day seess the greatest buzz of activity early inthe mrning and late in the evening as staff prepare to set off to the field and when they return frm the field at the end of the day. As support stff, ours is to ensure that th e program teams are well equiipped for the field and so we must have received their prorams and lists of requireents well in advance. Th team is a mature one where every one respects one anther and people from the Chief of Party right down to the Gardeneer refer to each other as colleagues and are on first name basis. Mangement is very supportive.

My most enjoyable part of work is usually the morning hours when ensuring that all teams have what they need and are happy with the support we offer. The hardest time is when I have to handle disciplinary hearings or resolve conflicts since almost every one considers me their friend
Innovative workplace, high quality employees, genuine commitment to mission of health for all
Principal Technical Advisor (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAMarch 28, 2014
Founded by a man with a genuine concern for the health of the poorest in the world, the tradition continues today - 40 years later. Organization continually seeks to improve itself. I consider it an honor to work there.
A crash course in politics
Policy and Advocacy Intern (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMarch 3, 2014
Every day I would check emails, follow-up with supervisors, and be assigned new tasks for the day. I had the opportunity to experience how large organizations, with many people and many "moving parts" function. I was responsible for keeping up with three supervisors and the tasks they needed assistance with. My coworkers were fun and the environment was largely enjoyable and supportive.

The most enjoyable part of my job was working in a gorgeous facility with people who were truly passionate about their work. I would feel very fortunate if every group I had the pleasure of working with had the passion and dedication to their work that the team at MSH Arlington has for theirs.I also had the opportunity to meet many prominent people in my field and one day I even visited every single congressional office on Capitol Hill!

The hardest part of my job was that the main project I had been originally expected to do during my internship was cancelled due to the government shut down and since no one could have planned for that to happen my experience and tasks were probably more disorganized than they would have been had the project not been cancelled. I wasn't prepared that so much of the work of the department I was in was dependent on politics and I learned that was not the area for me. I chose to take on unpaid work but found I had to keep two paid jobs in order to balance the cost of an entirely unpaid internship. I feel this policy of not paying interns (especially when they give preference to full-time interns) is exclusionary to otherwise qualified candidates who cannot
  more... afford to work for free.  less
Pros
free coffee/tea all day, beautiful facilities, easily walkable area, metro accessible, passionate coworkers
Cons
unpaid work, a lot of ups and downs in short periods of time