Manatee County Sheriff's Office Employee Reviews

Work place unnecessary stress
CPS Investigator (Former Employee) –  3500 9st bradentonFebruary 16, 2019
While working there you can feel the stress, one of the reason is that Manatee CPI department cut the time allowed by the State into half the time, so if FL DCF required 60 days to complete a case Manatee cut in half 30 days. The FTO's are told to placed added stress on the trainee's on top of learning all the different system, materials and out reach agencies, which leads to a high turn over with CPI. You can look at Manatee as a normal work environment with added stress.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
Addded stress
Custody and Care of people
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLNovember 25, 2018
The sheriff's office can be a great place to work, but there is always the human factor. Some people will use that uniform and badge for their own authority. not good.
Pros
respect
Cons
over doing it
Law Enforcement
Corrections & Law Enforcement Deputy (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLAugust 26, 2018
- Respond to every kind of call for service
-All management is new as a result of retirements and fast-paced promotions.
-High volume of calls for service and not enough help
-Great people
Pros
Great People
Cons
Good ol Boy system
There is a lot of negatively among workers
Master Child Protective Investigator (Current Employee) –  3500 9th st west, Bradenton FL 34205August 16, 2018
A typical day at work I was exposed o many different cultures and stressful situation that I need to be able to negotiate and help others. I also needed to be able to read and review all background checks on individuals to ensure safety. The hardest part of the job is time frames. It is a very fast paced job that requires an abundance of time frames. The enjoyable part of the job is helping others and feel like you are making a difference in the world.
Pros
The best part the job is the benefits and helping others others
Cons
weekends, holidays, on call
Good Ol Boy agency. If your not family your out there by yourself.
Corrections Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLAugust 10, 2018
I was a Sergeant and starting dating a subordinate prior to her getting transferred to Law Enforcement Bureau. We got Married three weeks prior and I was terminated because they said by not notifying the chain of command I was being untruthful.
Interesting and never a day that is the same!
Supervisor of School Crossing Guards (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJune 2, 2018
Overseeing The Crossing, shared by 3 other supervisors, including their payroll, council if needed, if not following General Orders, that applies to all Crossing Guards.
Trained new Crossing Guards as hired, and a once of year trading for all Guards.
If a Guard calls in sick, or unable to work that day, it was my job to either find a substitute or do the Crossing myself.
I learned the geographical area of Manatee Country, as I have supervised every Crossing in the county.
Most of the time spent was out of the office. I did have a desk where I did the Crossing Guards time and compared their work time sheet bi-weekly as to what I had posted daily in the computer; memos, etc.
Reported to my Sergeant usually daily, either in person or on the telephone.
Early hours getting up and taking any telephone calls that need to be addressed, and decide what procedure to take.

The most enjoyable part of the job was conversations with children (usually students), parents and motorists.

Enjoyed every day while employed by MCSO, would have continued if I had not become so tired from early hours.

Retired with a pension.
Pros
Good starting pay, and the ability to transfer/promoted. Minimal pension as part time
Cons
Early morning hours, standing out in the heat and rain, No sitting in car. No benefits.
Quick paced/high stress
Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLFebruary 8, 2018
The hardest part of the job is making sure you are keeping up with your paperwork on 18+ cases all the while ensuring the safety of the children you are working for. The most enjoyable part is working with the families and ensuring they are provided the services they need.
Pros
Family atmosphere
Cons
High Stress
A good place to work and build a career
Correctional Officer II (Former Employee) –  600 U.S 301 Blvd W #202 Bradenton,FlaFebruary 4, 2018
A very good and productive place to work and a environment that feels like a family away from home. It provides a opportunity to utilize good people skills with inmates and your peers. It keeps you in contact with the public and help to enhance your communication skills. It gives you a chance to see others who may come from different economic and social backgrounds without judgement or prejudice. It provides you with the skills needed to function in today's adverse society.
Pros
friendly people
Cons
hostile inmates
Interesting
Food Service Coordinator (Supervisor) (Current Employee) –  Manatee County, FLNovember 15, 2017
I learned a lot working here, and gained a variety of skills I don't think I would have learned elsewhere. The agency is extremely friendly, and a wonderful place to work,
Pros
Friendly
Cons
Low pay for that position.
stressful job
CHILD PROTECTION SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLOctober 6, 2017
Receive new investigation cases daily. Work long hours. Assess for present and impending danger of children. Assess the safety of children. Drug screen parents. Implement services. Type up court documents. Enter notes and documentation. Variety of culture. The hardest part of the job is getting cases on a daily bases and working 10-12 hour shifts.
Pros
Work vehicle supplied, health insurance
Cons
Not enough time to work on cases.
Stressful,
Booking Officer (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLSeptember 19, 2017
In the winter, you go to work in the dark and you come home in the dark. the days are very long, but you get a lot of days off also.
It is difficult to raise a family when your working such long hours.
Pros
every other weekend off, pretty good healthcare
Cons
swing shifts
Data Entry Clerk
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  600 301 Blvd. West, Bradenton, FL 34205September 9, 2017
This position involved interpreting deputy incident reports. In so doing, I had to give each incident of the crime report a code that was used for that incident under the UCR (Uniform Crime Reporting).
Pros
It was a learning experience
Cons
Driving 35 miles round trip did get expensive.
Helping others
Patrol Deputy/ Detective (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLAugust 13, 2017
A typical day at work: Investigating crimes and arresting offenders.

I have learned that not every case is the same and there is more than one way to investigate a crime and prosecute offenders.

Management was very Black & White. If they were managers in private industry the company would go out of business.

The culture was Paramilitary.

The hardest part of this job was the fact management had a, "If its not broken don't fix it." But, if there are faster and more accurate ways of getting things done, do it.
Everyone was afraid of their own shadow, it was stressful and frustrating being a Law Enforcement Officer.

I enjoyed arresting and convicting guilty criminals. I also enjoyed the art of investigations and solving cases as a Detective.
Pros
Take home car and great benifits
Cons
Pay was awful
very good learning experience for real world situations
Lieutenant (Former Employee) –  Manatee County FloridaAugust 9, 2017
Good benefits, alot of educational opportunities, provided some supervisory education, but most was learned on the job. No two days are the same. met alot of good people and had some good management. Hardest part of the job was seeing innocent victim's of crimes, but helping those people and others was most rewarding.
This is a data entry ground level position
Civil Process Clerk (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJune 11, 2017
There is a lot of information to learn, the environment is face paced and multi-task oriented. There is a lot of cross training due to the amount of information handled on a daily basis by all.
Pros
Hour lunch, gyms on site
Cons
Office politics can be a bit childish
Great place to work and very family oriented.
Sheriff's Deputy (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLOctober 17, 2016
MCSO treats thier employees very well and I have nothing but respect for management. No one is there to see you fail. Great benefits too!
Pros
Family oriented and good benefits
Excellent Career
Captain Enforcement Bureau (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLSeptember 18, 2016
The Manatee County Sheriff's Office is an excellent place of employment to start a career, not too many places will offer the benefits that the Sheriff's Office has to offer.
Manatee County Sheriffs Office
Public Safety Telecommunicator Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJuly 24, 2016
This is a great agency to work for with lots of opportunity to advance. This is a medium sized agency with over 1000 employees.
This job was challenging every day. High stress environment
Booking Clerk (Former Employee) –  600 301 Blvd W #202 Bradenton, FL 34205June 12, 2016
When I say I multi tasked, I really multi tasked. I enjoyed it though. Working twelve hour days, and while staying busy with many tasks, it helped time go by and always kept me on my toes.

I learned a lot about the law, Florida State Statues, I learned how to work a brand new computer system that I never worked before. I learned how to read and run criminal histories. I learned how to confirm warrants, whether they be out of state, another county or the county I worked in.

Management could have been better. However, I did my duties and made sure all my work was done professionally and proficient.

There was always a lot of pressure and for the most part my co-workers and myself always helped one another.

Hardest part about my job was the crimes being committed, especially when a child was involved.

What I learned and the challenges were the most enjoyable.
Pros
Always something new to be learned
Cons
I was not fond of working weekends
Professional Company to work for.
Senior Corporal (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLSeptember 30, 2015
Our days were always busy and never ending, there was always
more work to be done than personnel to do it.

I had some wonderful people who I submitted to as supervisors and
some great training classes that I was able to take.

The hardest part of the job was shift work and trying to juggle that
with the family. Easier on the single person but hard on families.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with people who
had your back , they were like family.
Pros
Professional Office to work for.
Cons
Shift work can be hard to do for some.