Maplewood Senior Living Employee Reviews

It was a okay place to work for
Maintenance Technician and Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Orange, CTJanuary 13, 2016
A typical day of work would come in about 10 in the morning and would have a list of objectives to take care of throughout the building. I learned how to tear up old carpet and put new carpet down. The management there wasn't really at there best things never got down when it came down to it the co-workers acted more like management. Hardest part of my job was walking in to the building not knowing if one of our residents were still alive they were like family to us and thats why i enjoyed parts of my job there knowing i was there putting a big smile on there face just by making there life easier.
Wonderful Work Experience
Marketing and Communications Intern (Current Employee) –  Westport, CTDecember 22, 2015
Great work environment and passionate people who truly care about the success of Maplewood and its associates. Have many opportunities for personal growth and learning. Always feel that my work and efforts are appreciated and respected. Overall, really enjoy Maplewood as a workplace.

The company is still developing their infrastructure, but there is promise for growth in the future.

Would appreciate the observation of more holidays and a more substantial benefits package.
Pros
Culture, Growth Opportunities, and Overall Environment
Benefits
Extremly stressful, sad, workplace
RESIDENT CARE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Orange, CTNovember 29, 2015
Stressful environment. Aggressive senior administration.
negative work environment.
Extremely high staff turn over
Stay away!
Lpn (Former Employee) –  Darien, CTOctober 27, 2015
Management is horrible they dodge you and never answer job related questions. Pay is horrible overall. No time and a half on holidays. Nurses don't document on things they are suppose to. Management gossip about team members to other team members. Residents are moving out left and right. They don't appreciate their employees. Nobody is happy there. Staffing on the weekends are the worst.
Pros
Worst place I have ever worked
Administration (Former Employee) –  CTOctober 18, 2015
Dedication, diligence, perseverance & ambition are viewed by senior management as limitations rather than assets. Efforts are not recognized or rewarded. They practice favoritism at every level. Power struggles are abundant and go unaddressed & unresolved. Value is based more on appearance rather than ability. Those most successful seem to go with the flow rather than stepping up to the plate to make necessary improvements. If legitimate concerns are raised, you will be reprimanded. Many of the support team don’t respond to requests for assistance to resolve pertinent issues. If you follow up, your requests are often met with arrogance, resistance & even less support because they think you’re trying to make them look inefficient. They seek to blame others & repeatedly fail to acknowledge their own mistakes. If you do overcome all the virtually insurmountable obstacles to be effective in your position, then you are given even more challenges to overcome with minimal direction & no recognition or appreciation for a job well done, unless of course you are one of the elite favorites. Being successful at this company is impossible. If you value your health & family life, work for a company that will appreciate your hard work, knowledge & experience.
Pros
Assisting seniors in the community
Cons
Inexperienced management & rapid company growth with inadequate support
Regional (Former Employee) –  WestportJuly 19, 2015
Good Place to work. Work with Seniors, Employer really cares. In addition the mission statement is an amazing philosophy.
Far too busy, not enough pay.
Maintenance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newtown, CTApril 10, 2015
You are expected to break your back-literally- for this company in hopes of advancement that they dangle over your head like a rabbit chasing a carrot. It's pitiful. They don't pay well, raises are low and criticism is high. You cannot voice opinions, and management talks down to you daily. You're essentially a glorified janitor.
Pros
Full-time work and the residents you help daily.
Cons
Short breaks, high healthcare, poor management, poor work environment.
Former food service director
Food Service Director (Former Employee) –  ctMarch 8, 2015
I took this job because I love the residents and that was the best part of the job.The ED was always late for meetings. We would have a stand up meeting every day which is supposed to be a quick 10 minute meeting and it turned out to be a hour or more of a sit down meeting instead. The employee turn over was incredible. We were always looking for nurse's and aids all the time. In the year I was there we had gone through 3-4 head nurses and I can't recall how many aids. The kitchen did not have any needed equipment, no small wares, no inventory. I was left to bring in my own pots and my own food processor because I was told I could not purchase anything.
The kitchen wait staff were also used to work as RESCARE(resident care) in time of needs. Their hours for the RESCARE did not come out of res-care budget instead came out of kitchen budget and then I was told my staff budget was over
My budget for food costs was always being trimmed every month, and as long as I could keep within it the budget would be trimmed yet again.
The menu structure was unmanageable because of the budget structure.
Pros
residents
Cons
no place to park, staff were always getting parking tickets
Worst Place to Work
Nurse (Former Employee) –  NorwalkJanuary 18, 2015
Worst place to work in the world. Their turnover rate is extremely high, people come and they go. Guarantee that who you started with, you will not end with at least 2 fold. They expect people to be happy go lucky there, but you spend more time watching your back then caring for resident because everyone is out to get everyone else. The energy there is extremely negative and all one person has to do is report you, even if it's not true and its your word against theirs. They have a list of people who they want to get rid of everytime they get a new administrator and they don't appreciate their staff and expect that if they feed you, that you should be happy about coming to work. Extra food doesn't pay the bills, extra money does. Plus they don't pay much and it's just like a nursing home, worst even. One of the worst places I've ever worked.
Pros
No Pros
Cons
All cons
Fun and Friendly Work Environment
Intern (Current Employee) –  Westport, CTJuly 8, 2014
Maplewood Senior Living is a great place to work, whether you're in the home office or out in one of the many beautiful buildings. There is a great family environment and everyone truly cares for one another. Even the partners of the company take time to check in with you and see how you are doing. Everyone knows each other personally and we have fun working together to deliver the best product possible by serving the residents who live in the buildings.
Pros
Fun and friendly work environment
Terrible Management..... Horrible Director
Maintenance Director (Former Employee) –  Norwalk CTApril 21, 2014
Horrible Director learned later on the she got FIRED. To bad that the owners did not listen to me sooner before that very poor management skills director was Fired. She made so many enemies with in the staff employees were quitting just because they did not want to deal with such an inexperienced ED she showed favoritism, talked down to employees in a condescending way. When I reported all of it to her supervisor nothing were done about it. Until they opened their eyes and fired her. It was a shame because I would have stayed their was doing a good job.
Pros
Careing CEO very nice guy
Cons
poor management Horrible Director
Great social work environment
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Westport, CTJanuary 16, 2014
Co-workers are very social and friendly, enjoyed the environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Maplewood Senior Living. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8