Marathon Oil
76Above average

Marathon Oil Employee Reviews

United States704 reviews
Poor culture and leadership with the lack of strategic direction. So many conflicting priorities with poor ogranizational structure. No career developement program.
Pros
paid well
Cons
no career progression or learning
Laid back, work alone, pretty easy 8 hour shift most of the work is done when arriving and leaving counting cigarettes and cashier drawer and end of shift report.
Pros
Working alone
Cons
Short breaks
Great company to work for plenty of opportunity to advance and make a career for yourself and family. Managers always available to talk to and get and listen to ideas and thoughts.
Pros
Pays outstanding
Cons
Shutting out refinery die losing job
Good company to work for. Rotating shift work.
Nice wages. One of the biggest refiners in the country. The own numerous refineries and have lots of different areas of work for individual seeking employment.
Pros
Wages
Cons
Rotating shift work
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
The job took a lot. I worked 12-hour shifts with rotating day and night shifts every 4 days on and 4 days off. I got called in on my days off because we took turns being on call. I worked lots of overtime. The average overtime for someone is 500+ hours. The other employees were great to work with. They were like family. We worked together, ate together, and just hung out during the downtime there. I am very sad to be leaving. I worked at the Martinez Marathon Refinery, which was shut down in November 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Pros
Free lunch during turnarounds, lots of overtime, great co-workers, great pay, great retirement
Cons
You work a lot, you are there for over 12 hours a day, on work days that was pretty much all I did, no going out or anything.
Learning constantly and growing as an individual. Management could use some attention though. Also need to invest more in the facilities infrastructure.
I can honestly say that this is the best job ive ever had plan on retiring here, management doesn't micromanage unless you give them a reason to. Pay could be better but i work alot of OT so it balances out and theres always OT, but after the contract is up we'll definitely be the highest paid. Honestly i really dont have any issues, i just go to work do my job and come home. As for the contract you can blame the baby boomers that retired n left us with this horrible contract until 2023.
Pros
The potiential for advancement
Cons
Union Contract
Very positive and proactive willing to learn and able to adapt easily. Willing to get the job done in a positive environment. Able to adjust to any environment
It’s a really great place to work my customer service skills have expanded and I like working with my employees I like meeting new people from all over other cities
I’m currently an employee at the Marathon garage in Indianapolis. It used to be a great place to work until we got new management. Now it seems like the new management is trying to make everyone miserable so they will quit. Now we work days, nights and weekends. Your schedule is different every week. If you apply for a job at Marathon don’t believe anything they tell you, more than likely it is a lie.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Schedule, awful management
Spent 20 years at Marathon. Great benefits retirement plan 401k. Down fall as a driver when transferred from one terminal to next you lose your seniority at the terminal. You maintain your company seniority but lose your terminal seniority. In other words a person with 1 day of terminal seniority will Trump a person with 20 years company seniority.
Pros
Benefits, pay, time off saving and insurance
Cons
Seniority
Limited advancement opportunities, limited technical positions, competitive environment, friendly coworkers, "force" ranking system, good flex options, some unexperienced management
They gave me my start in well head production. Started as a Roustabout, then a well tester,then a pumper. That's how my 40 year career started. Nothing more to say.
Pros
Great people, who i enjoyed helping me
Cons
Some Supervisors didn't like me.
Big company, lots of job security. Several departments to work with and a very nice job site as well. They offer a fitness center, on site cafe and Starbucks.
The Experiences were more then I could've ever asked for. I gained customer interaction skills. Punctuality. They taught me cash handeling, being able to produce change in a fast and proper manner.
great group of people, manageable workload, good supervisors, remote work, mostly computer work, email and SAP, enjoyable work place, sports fields in front of building, walking paths, outdoor picnic areas
It is a Keeper if you stay in your lane. Safety is Key. Do your job right and try to not step on other people toes. Keep you language clean and your jokes too.
Worked with some Fine people

Prayer

God, You alone are worthy of honor, glory, and praise. With You, we can overcome every storm—including COVID-19.

Right now, we are asking You to:

• Heal those who are sick and protect those who are not.

• Give our leaders extra wisdom as they navigate this pandemic and economic uncertainty.

• Strengthen Your global Church. Reveal to us how we can partner together to reach the needs of those around us.

• Calm our fears. Fill us with Your hope, joy, and peace as we continue to trust in You.
Over time Marathon devolved from a little Independent that could to a company that valued the dream over the execution. Continual restructuring of teams, inexperience of middle management, and focus on 100% alignment from staff created an environment that was easy to blur the lines of excellence and achievements.
I enjoyed working for this company very much. Everyone was willing to lend a helping hand and encouraging. Everyone was respectfull. Many employees helped inform me about other task from other job titles to help me become more knowledgeable with all different positions.
They compensation was average. My supervisor lacked the knowledge he should have possessed to do his role. Overall it was a good experience. They had a decent Safety Management System. All audits were done on an iPad. The Team Lead was very helpful.
Pros
Good personnel on the location where i worked.
Cons
I was confined to the location for two weeks without a chance to go get supplies.