Marathon Oil Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great work environment
Land GIS Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 14, 2018
I only worked here during a summer as an intern but it was a great learning experience. The teams and the management at this company know what they are doing. Each task I did was useful and even as an intern I did real projects that were beneficial to the company. The people here make for a great work environment.
Pros
Workplace Culture, Learning opportunity
Cut throat joke.
Operations (Former Employee) –  WVAugust 11, 2018
This has been the worst place I have ever worked. The job is so cut throat the only thing it’s takes is a hurt feelings compliant to get some one fired. If you go to work here you may want to wear a steel lined jacket because it’s onky a matter of time before you get stabbed in the back. You’ve got the topical mix of lazier then normal employees. The only problem with that is management falls right in with that. There’s a select handful of hard working employees while everyone else and the supervisors sit around and play games all day on there phones and rarely leave the office. I’d any complaints are made or questions asked you should probably look for another job. The Hr department is the most comical thing that I have ever seen here. You could literally get told on for someone else cussing you at work and they try and fire the innocent person. I’ve seen a lead safety man get fired nearly for doing his job. Most of the full time employees are so lazy they had to hire temporary contractors to do the job and then put them in a lead role while the lazy employees cry and wine about someone telling them to do something. If you are looking for career advancement and looking to move up in this company then all you have to do if friend your boss on PUBG and be as lazy as possible and it’s almost guaranteed that buoy will be a lead within a month. This place is very toxic please do your self a favor and keep looking unless you are a gladiator and you enjoy a fight.
Pros
It strengthens your mental fortitude dealing with all the sh**
Cons
It will mentally break your spirtit
Fast paced
Light products driver (Current Employee) –  Hammond, INAugust 6, 2018
Overall Marathon has been a really great company. The people are pretty good to work for and with. They have newer well taken care of equipment, and preach and live safety. Benefits are exceptional, great home time, paid time off, and insurance. They match your 401k and provide a pension. (good luck finding a company that does that) There is always someone available if any issues come up. All the other drivers are very helpful if you have any questions. They always have extra days available to work if you want them, your income is entirely up to you, paid hourly + coefficient + weekly safety bonus, and end of year bonus ranging from 6% to 11% of your yearly income.
Pros
Decent pay, great benefits, newer equipment, great family time
Cons
Paid every 2 weeks, cameras in the trucks, strict no cell phone policy
It’s stressful to deal with the managers
Server (Former Employee) –  Southaven, MSAugust 4, 2018
They make you feel comfortable for a while, but then it gets annoying. You learn to work fast there. You meet a lot of people, your coworkers help you when you’re new.
Cons
No breaks, you get in way too early.
Easy going, I loved interacting with the customers.
Broadway - Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJuly 31, 2018
To start the day I stocked the cooler's take the trash out. I ran the cash register for the rest of the day. At night I made the deposit and closed up shop.
Pros
It was close to my home.
Cons
No paid time off
Safe and well managed.
Operations Intern (Former Employee) –  Catlettsburg, KYJuly 31, 2018
Marathon is ran very efficiently and safely. I have no other work place that compares to the level of care they have for employees. This is a company that anyone will love to be apart of.
Pros
pay, hours, benefits.
Cons
competition for jobs.
Excellent place to work
Wintel Engineer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 31, 2018
Good people and good working environment. I would like to get hired and retire form here. The people that I work with with true human and I am very pleased to hang around with.
Good place to work.
Process Technology Intern (Former Employee) –  Catlettsburg, KYJuly 29, 2018
Excellent place to work. Hours are long, but pay is well worth it. Good opurtunities for advancement if you get out and bust your butt. Everyone knows you from the higher ups to the lower downs.
Bad to worse when management changes
SR PROCESSOR (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 27, 2018
The only thing wrong at all with this position was the people that were brought in out of state to run the projects. They came with all their buddys and did everything how they wanted with no regard to anyone or anything in the places they were working at. If they didnt like you, you just were pulled off your own position and stuck where they felt they wouldnt have to deal with you in their daily schedules.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
employees coming in from other plants suck
Loved Marathon
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, NMJuly 27, 2018
Marathon was the best company I have ever worked for. The only reason I left is Marathon sold and I stayed on with the new company that came in (big mistake). If I could go back to Marathon I would in a heartbeat.
Pros
Evwrything
Cons
I love the people the company
Refinery Document Control Engineer Specialist (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 26, 2018
My job i love the fact Marathon gave me a chance of training me for the job with great!!!!!pay i have no complaintsand my bosses are awsome..if you only stay a while just learn all you can and do your best to be great at it for you. THE COMPANY treat everyone the same no matter if you are man or woman black or white. The love is real
Pros
Great job to work for
Cons
No over time
Fast paced.
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fort Mitchell, ALJuly 16, 2018
Very fast paced job, especially when you have a line of customers and venders running in and out. Can be boring because normally your working by yourself
Temp
Gas Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJuly 14, 2018
This was a temp job, I just got my CNA a took another job that is in that field. It wasnt the worst place but just not what i want to do for the rest of my life
Plenty of work
Sr. I&E Designer (Current Employee) –  Kenedy, TXJuly 12, 2018
I appreciate the job security as there is years of work needed to be finished. The support I receive from management is excellent. The field crews doing the "As-built" walkdowns are well trained and have excellent attitudes.
Pros
Plenty of work
Cons
un-fair contract (no per diem or expenses)
Overall Review
Production Operator I (Current Employee) –  Kenedy, TXJuly 10, 2018
I’ve worked for Marathon Oil Co. for 3 yrs and they are a great company. They have the best production equipment and take the necessary steps to ensure our work environment is a safe one. The benefits are great and they even helped us with a loan for anyone who was affected by Hurricane Harvey to help us during this tragedy. I would definitely recommend people to work for Marathon if they need a good job.
Cashier/Stock (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INJuly 9, 2018
Great place to work fast pace it gets crazy sometimes but then it's also slow its not to bad of a job if your great with people this is for you store is always cleaned
Relaxed
operator/roustabout (Former Employee) –  Cody WyomingJuly 2, 2018
I enjoyed the rotating schedule of the gas plant. I enjoyed working by myself and at my own pace. The other operators were helpful in learning the plant and helping trouble shoot problems or issues.
Great Company
Product Movement Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHJuly 2, 2018
I truly enjoyed working for Marathon Petroleum. I can proudly say that I made a difference while working at the Canton Refinery. Marathon management team always held all their supervisors accountable for their actions.
Pros
Great Company to work for.
Cons
HR Leadership needs improvement in their people skills.
bad experience
Senior Processor (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 23, 2018
during a buyout let go without warning or regard to job security, here's your money and you can leave... bad experience... I would not recommend applying to this company if you plan to have a permanent career because they are not trurstworthy
Pros
Cons
no job security
good place to work
Advanced Facility Specialist/CWI (Former Employee) –  pleasanton TexasJune 22, 2018
had an awesome experience with Marathon met and worked with a lot of good people.
learned various skill set as per marathon standards and have utilized them in everyday activities.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marathon Oil. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss