Marathon Oil Employee Reviews

Not the company it use to be
IT Support (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 17, 2019
The company keeps shrinking in size and who knows when it will stop. The company use to be have wonderful employee retention and really cared about employees but no more.

No career paths, mentoring, and diversity has gone away. The company's safety record is terrible. There are so many other good oil and gas companies to work for in Houston.
Pros
Good pay, lots of vacation and 9/80 work schedule
Cons
Poor Safety Record, no diversity, too many mangers and not enough workers
Working
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mio, MIApril 13, 2019
Working there was a very great experience I wish I had stayed longer loved the boss got along great with other employees I would highly recommend a job here
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Productive, fun caring employees.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Guysville, OHApril 10, 2019
I absolutely loved my job here! Everyone I worked with were amazing! Not just a job , but a family! Over time was usually available. Career opportunities to grow in the company are there and willing to give the right person.
Pros
Emergency days off if needed.
Cons
No health insurance
Very good people to work with.
Contractor Senior Maintenance/ TAR Planner (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TX 77590April 10, 2019
I liked the people at Marathon. I made some good friends their who I still talk to today. The plant needed the 1.2 Billion dollar infusion it recently got for upgrades.
Pros
Good people
My Experience at Marathon
Reprographics Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 6, 2019
I had a good experience working for this company, I learned alot on how to work create copies, imaging and printing regular documents and oversize documents, on regular copiers, plotters, imaging etc.
doesn't pay much
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Dublin, OHApril 2, 2019
nice owner. The job is nice because it is very low stress. There is not too much hassle working there. The pay really stinks. The co workers are great, the benefits are non existent.
Pros
nice owners
Cons
no benefits low pay
Fast paced with multi cultural interactions
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLApril 1, 2019
A typical day was dealing with the public, serving their needs, and maintaining the store so it was well kept and stocked up. Hot food and coffee was always a big seller. Clean bathrooms were a must!
Pros
Meeting multi cultural people
Cons
Meeting multi cultural people
Very nice people. Low pay. No benefits
Sales Coordinator/Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Corbin, KYMarch 28, 2019
Very Nice people. Low pay. No benefits. Dangerous place to work.A very temporary job. Not a place for permanancy. Management is very nice and easy to work with.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
No benefits. Dangerous area
Summary
Brand Marketing Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 27, 2019
Worked from home.
Traveled and was away from family quite a bit.
Good culture and atmosphere at corporate.
Great people to work with.
Heavy involvement 24/7.
The boss was really hard work for. He had favorites he start and gove more hours while some of the other employees worked harder got nothing out from
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYMarch 22, 2019
Not one best places i have worked for. Boss really was hsrd to work for. This business prepares food which je lets it set out all day. Needed to be thrown out after 4 hrs.not very clean in the area prepared thr fpod. Nor back in sinl. Just not really professiomal at all. Dont roatate food when comes in or dated.seen no ome wash hands just put gloves on. I washed my hand everytime and wore gloves. Not fair to employees.
Pros
Got no lunch breaks
Great Company and Culture
Accounting Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZMarch 21, 2019
My company was acquired by Marathon and they have been a great place to work since the acquisition. I learned many facets of the petroleum industry. and will use this knowledge to further enhance my career. Due to integration my position was eliminated after 19 years and must move on in my career. Marathon is a great company.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Enjoyed working with the people in my department
Advanced Senior Auditor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 19, 2019
Enjoyed working in the JV Audit Department. Supervisor was personal, knowledgeable and a company person. I enjoyed working for her. The most enjoyable part of the job was traveling with my co-workers and working closely during our field work.
Pros
Flex schedule, worked a 9-80 schedule
Cons
Compensation
Team oriented interesting place to work
Business LAN Administrator (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHMarch 18, 2019
A normal day for me was supporting BLAN servers and users, and database admin role. The hardest thing is getting hired. I was a contractor for over 3 years they loved me but no matter what I did I could not get in. I really enjoyed working there in the IT department. Everyone I worked with was great! Great team environment. You are treated with respect and that meant a lot to me. I was able to visit a few of the other refineries and I learned a lot about the oil refining operation. Marathon is rated the #1 place to work in the US and that is correct. This company is ran like a well oiled machine. Just a great place!!
Pros
Respected, free lunches, team work, fun, travel
Cons
not much, they don't value their contractors as they should
Great job
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pikeville, KYMarch 15, 2019
Great job if you had a chance to get a break but if someone called in you would be the only one there and wouldn’t get any breaks until the next shift came on and you went home.
Pros
Customers
Cons
No breaks
very rewarding
Volunteer Protection Program Committee (VPP) (Former Employee) –  Reserve, LAMarch 14, 2019
this job allows you to excel. You get the opportunity to learn new things, meet new people. This job can get stressful at times but management was amazing
Collaborative work place with competitive atmosphere
HES Professional (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 9, 2019
Marathon has a collaborative work place that requires you to interact with multiple groups.

Things can be competitive at times within internal groups.

Hard work within groups is optional, with some specific employees taking the brunt of the workload while others coast, and is often not worth the effort.
Pros
Good to decent benefits, lots of opportunity
Cons
Very few opportunities for advancement, pay is not competitive enough
Heavy Billing and AP/AR
Cash Application Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 1, 2019
Although quiet and calm atmosphere there is no room for you to need to leave due to family emergencies. There is great work to be done while employed. there. There is tons to learn
No Comment
Contracts Manager (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Anacortes, WAFebruary 27, 2019
Worked at Anacortes Wa. a facility which was previously owned by Tesoro which was sold to Marathon Oil.

Good site, great people close community. Minimal traffic to work
Unstable Work Environment
Lead Enterprise Backup Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 27, 2019
The pay and benefits are great, but management is flaky and layoffs are brutal. Like all Oil and Gas companies layoffs are inevitable when the price of oil is down. This leads to a lot of stress and uncertainty.
Marathon Oil is a great company.
System Civil Engineer intern (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 20, 2019
Marathon Oil is a great company. I interned for a few months as an undergrad four years ago. They respect work-life balance and care about the employees.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marathon Oil. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss