Marathon Oil
78Above average

Marathon Oil Employee Reviews

United States812 reviews
Limited advancement opportunities, limited technical positions, competitive environment, friendly coworkers, "force" ranking system, good flex options, some unexperienced management
Very positive and proactive willing to learn and able to adapt easily. Willing to get the job done in a positive environment. Able to adjust to any environment
It’s a really great place to work my customer service skills have expanded and I like working with my employees I like meeting new people from all over other cities
I’m currently an employee at the Marathon garage in Indianapolis. It used to be a great place to work until we got new management. Now it seems like the new management is trying to make everyone miserable so they will quit. Now we work days, nights and weekends. Your schedule is different every week. If you apply for a job at Marathon don’t believe anything they tell you, more than likely it is a lie.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Schedule, awful management
Spent 20 years at Marathon. Great benefits retirement plan 401k. Down fall as a driver when transferred from one terminal to next you lose your seniority at the terminal. You maintain your company seniority but lose your terminal seniority. In other words a person with 1 day of terminal seniority will Trump a person with 20 years company seniority.
Pros
Benefits, pay, time off saving and insurance
Cons
Seniority
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
They gave me my start in well head production. Started as a Roustabout, then a well tester,then a pumper. That's how my 40 year career started. Nothing more to say.
Pros
Great people, who i enjoyed helping me
Cons
Some Supervisors didn't like me.
Big company, lots of job security. Several departments to work with and a very nice job site as well. They offer a fitness center, on site cafe and Starbucks.
The Experiences were more then I could've ever asked for. I gained customer interaction skills. Punctuality. They taught me cash handeling, being able to produce change in a fast and proper manner.
great group of people, manageable workload, good supervisors, remote work, mostly computer work, email and SAP, enjoyable work place, sports fields in front of building, walking paths, outdoor picnic areas
It is a Keeper if you stay in your lane. Safety is Key. Do your job right and try to not step on other people toes. Keep you language clean and your jokes too.
Worked with some Fine people

Prayer

God, You alone are worthy of honor, glory, and praise. With You, we can overcome every storm—including COVID-19.

Right now, we are asking You to:

• Heal those who are sick and protect those who are not.

• Give our leaders extra wisdom as they navigate this pandemic and economic uncertainty.

• Strengthen Your global Church. Reveal to us how we can partner together to reach the needs of those around us.

• Calm our fears. Fill us with Your hope, joy, and peace as we continue to trust in You.
Over time Marathon devolved from a little Independent that could to a company that valued the dream over the execution. Continual restructuring of teams, inexperience of middle management, and focus on 100% alignment from staff created an environment that was easy to blur the lines of excellence and achievements.
I enjoyed working for this company very much. Everyone was willing to lend a helping hand and encouraging. Everyone was respectfull. Many employees helped inform me about other task from other job titles to help me become more knowledgeable with all different positions.
They compensation was average. My supervisor lacked the knowledge he should have possessed to do his role. Overall it was a good experience. They had a decent Safety Management System. All audits were done on an iPad. The Team Lead was very helpful.
Pros
Good personnel on the location where i worked.
Cons
I was confined to the location for two weeks without a chance to go get supplies.
9/80 work schedule is really flexible. Hardest part of the job is the workload. Management has a vision, but can be reactive instead of proactive. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people.
good company, great pay, flexible work hours, good managers, nice office environment. work was good and customers in maintenance worked well together with purchasing.
Very fast paced environment, very knowledgeable people who are always willing to help and answer any questions you may have. Their technology is very good and easy to use.
I really enjoyed the team of men I worked with there great atmosphere Upper management was in tune with our struggles as Operators They made sure we always had every resource available to us
Oil field is tough and driving is tougher.long days 12-14 for sure.You will have online training to add to the day after your shift plus the long commute back home.Only 2 weeks vacation. I mean literally.You can not even take time off not being payed.You will burn out in the end.
Nobody else in the oil field conducts themselves in this manner.

Decisions made by corporate office staff that have no clue how demanding this job is.Money is good and benefits are great.

Make sure this what you decide your life will be because there is no time for anything else.
I was lucky to work with one of the finest team in the Organization. They were friendly, extremely supportive to me and they welcomed me since day 1. They were open to new ideas and made me feel that I was helpful whenever I could answer their questions and help them find solutions to any problem they encountered.
MRO always takes care of its employees, A long time leader in the upstream oil business, Marathon Oil is a great place to work and grow your career. One of the best companies in Houston.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marathon Oil. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.1Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
3.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight