Marcus & Millichap Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great Place to Learn
Multi Housing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 8, 2018
I had 2 mentors at this location and they were both amazing. Branch broker and sales agents were always willing to help. Collaborative environment. Professional atmosphere.
Know what you're getting into
Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 3, 2018
Great place to start in the RE industry, they "train" you in the bare fundamentals as well as sales tactics. After the training though, you are on your own to sink or swim.

The firm brings on new brokers on a 100% commission basis. Most of the time, you can be placed on a team after talking with the different team leaders, and your splits will most likely start at 50/50 with senior then 50/50 with company.

If you can handle the first 8-16 months (cold-calling nonstop, rejection from every angle, racking up credit card debt because you make $0) , then I've heard you should be good. After that, you should have some clients that stick and you can start to build a timeline.

Definitely a long-term career so just know what you're getting into.
Pros
No set hours, can work from home, commission potential
Cons
Incessant cold-calling, constant rejection, not sophisticated work
My managers were wonderful
Marketing and team coordinator (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 17, 2018
Unfortunately the pay was low and I had to supplement my income with other jobs. I learned a lot at this job but there are not any benefits such as paid time off, healthcare or anything else. It was very fast paced but my mangers were very nice and forthcoming.
Brokerage Assistant Front Desk
Brokerage Assistant/Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILJune 1, 2018
Great pay. Great benefits. Beautiful office. Unfortunately, it all comes at a price. What the job description fails to include is that they want you to be in three places at the same time. They want you to be glued to the front desk chair so you can answer the phones, while buzzing the pompous, arrogant, privileged brokers in, because they are above having to use their key card. They also fail to mention that you MUST have the kitchen clean and coffee ready at ALL times for the brokers, who must always be catered to. It is also imperative to clean the conference rooms at all times, or you will be reprimanded. If you want a job that is very isolating, lonely, boring, lowers your esteem, as well as self worth, then by all means ... this is the job for you. With the high turnover this position has had, they really need to reconsider who is running that office, before she runs it into the ground.
Pros
Pay, benefits.
Cons
Management is horrible, as are the majority of the brokers. Not a friendly office at all.
Make the most of your experience
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYMay 31, 2018
In the brokerage world, it's all about balancing your time between prospecting and working with existing clients. I have been fortunate enough to have a "deep Rolodex", which has afforded me access to a wide array of clientele. I enjoy the freedom of setting my own time and working at a rate which provides me the ability to balance career and life obligations.
Pros
Flexible time
Cons
You "eat what you kill"
Hard to Evaluate
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 20, 2018
My role was more of a contractor so it is hard to evaluate the entire breadth of the company. Only worked with small team of people in a small department.
Pros
Free parking, secured buildin g
Cons
Very long hours
Nice environment
Investment Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMay 17, 2018
Poor support, zero security. Nice office. Decent training program. Hardest part was nothing guaranteed a lot based off real estate market. Not much control over future compensation.
Pros
Nice office
Cons
Terrible security, zero benefits
Great job for aggressive personalities
Associate - National Hospitality Group (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDMay 11, 2018
Lots of upside; you eat what you kill; what you get out of it is directly correlated to what you put in;

Would recommend a bit of a nest egg put away due to slow sale cycle of hospitality investments.

Other product types tend to move quicker but are much more competitive.

First class offices/equipment and resources at your disposal

Solid brand name for investment sales
Pros
Uncapped earning potential
Cons
100% commission; no benefits
Very Competitive and Stressful
SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 3, 2018
This is a cut throat environment! High money rewards but no balance in your life! Very,very competitive. Cn be unhealthy for people but also very rewarding when money goals are accomplhished,
Pros
Money
Cons
Stressful environment
Good place to learn CRE Sales business
Commercial Real Estate Salesperson (Current Employee) –  Saddle Brook, NJMarch 27, 2018
Good place to learn CRE Sales business. Tough to make money first coupl eof years under the structure for new agents. Great training and good place to start CRE Sales career.
productive
Vice president investments (Former Employee) –  ft lauderdaleMarch 26, 2018
great company i do not wish to discuss further. we just had a different view and I was in a different place. they have great trainig for new hires and lots of perks as you move up the ladder
Pros
great name recognition
Cons
straight commision
Extremely poor management
Junior Art Director / Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Calabasas, CAMarch 14, 2018
I really enjoyed my opportunity with M&M when i started but over the course of the years I have worked there, it has been increasingly prominent that the company does not care about the satisfaction of their employees. They only care about the money they save and it shows in the managers they hire. The management, all the way to the top are terrible communicators and only look to squeeze the most out of the least. They cut who they hire and increase work load. I loved my team and had a very close relationship with them but the management is TERRIBLE
Great staff
real estate salesperson (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 9, 2018
Working environment is great. Working for brokers, not so great. Base salaries are very low, with little to no increase in pay through the years. Healthcare plans poor.
Cons
healthcare
Hard Working Environment
Commercial Real Estate Investment Salesperson (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 8, 2018
Good place to grind your gears.
Be prepared to work very hard for long hours.
Not much work and personal life.
If you get a good mentor then you will last.
Quick Review
Corporate Facilities Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calabasas, CAMarch 8, 2018
Totally depends on what department you're in, and your position of whether you're a revenue generating employee or not one. My review is related to being a corporate employee in a "underrated department".

Great learning experience but it capped off quickly. My recruiter left the company and my original proposed job description was not related to what I actually do by a long shot.
Pros
Learning
Cons
Overworked with no consideration to well being from management or HR
Top real estate brokerage
Marketing & Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAFebruary 20, 2018
At MM you have access to a multitude of different research and technology tools that are necessary to be competitive. I learned what it takes to work in a professional environment with high net-worth clients. Sometimes it could be an intimidating workplace because there are so many successful brokers there requiring a high level of support.
Pros
Reputable name
Cons
Intimidating culture.
Cuthroat job with lack of local knowledge in management
Broker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 6, 2018
-worked 8-6pm daily
-learned skills to broker a deal from start to finish
-management turnover led me to pursue other opportunities
-emphasized collabrative culture, however found to be untrue
-getting exclusive listings was hardest part of job
-learning something new each day was most enjoyable part of job
Save your money
Real Estate Agent (Current Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 27, 2018
Although top agents can make millions of dollars a year, the first year you should not expect to make any money at all. If you do it's a bonus however the majority of deals take months to close and months to obtain. Marcus & Millichap provide good training to prepare for a successful career however be prepared for the initial struggles.
Pros
No limit to the amount of money you can make
Cons
Difficult to break into a saturated industry
Phenomenal Company
COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE INVESTMENT BROKER (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 26, 2018
Marcus & Millichap provides you with any and all tools to grow your business. You must be self-driven in order to succeed. Not everyone gets a trophy. Gotta have focus and commitment because this is not a salary position. You only get out what you put in, but can be very rewarding once your business takes off!
Pros
Provided with the most advanced tools and software in the real estate business
Cons
You don't get paid for showing up
Very Stressfull environmnet
Commercial Real Estate Agent (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 17, 2018
There was no pay and no support, I worked over 50 hours a day and build a full data base for apartment buildings in Orange County with no pay. Very condescending management.
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
No pay and horrible managment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marcus & Millichap. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

2.0Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight