Marcus Hotels & Resorts Employee Reviews

I'm so grateful
Operations Associate (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 7, 2018
Marcus Corporation is an amazing company I'm lucky to have found. They really take care of their people, and it shows! I have been here 3 years, and have been given so many opportunities. Whenever I want to switch something up, I can easily move locations are work somewhere else! I have been given many promotions! Many of my ideas are appreciated, and implemented! Marcus really is an industry leader, and I feel like they're family! I can't tell my friends and family enough about Marcus Hotels & Resorts! If you're looking for an amazing career that will shape your future, Marcus is for you!
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Coworkers, Management, Growth
December 20, 2018

Thank you very much for the kind words. As you know Marcus Hotels & Resorts and Marcus Corporation tries hard to engage our associates and support their dreams and aspirations. It sounds like you found a great "fit" here at Marcus and we found an amazing team member that we hope stays with us a very, very long time.

Horrible job, horrible company
Group sales manager (Former Employee) –  Sheraton Chapel HillSeptember 4, 2018
I was hired to work at Marcus Hotels and Resorts and was never paid for the work I did. The corporate office and the local office do not seem to have any working relationship with each other. The Sheraton Chapel Hill would do best to find another management company to manage their property at the Marcus Hotel Group is a horrible management company. I would not recommend anybody working for or staying at the Sheraton Chapel Hill.
Pros
Cons
Horrible work environment Shady management company
October 5, 2018

We are very sorry to hear you had a poor experience in regards to your employment with our Sheraton Chapel Hill hotel. The property shares a unique connection with our corporate office and other hotels. Several of our most successful and tenured managers from other Marcus properties have been promoted to new roles at the Sheraton. We are very proud of their career growth and efforts to make the Sheraton Chapel Hill a world class property.

In regards to not being paid for work, that is a concern we do not take lightly. We encourage you to contact the hotel, our corporate office or call the confidential line we provide for all associates. With your assistance we should be able to clear up any payroll issue you might have outstanding.

Our goal is to provide a exceptional employment experience to all associates.

Wrongful Termination
Dishwasher/Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 1, 2019
I was wrongfully terminated from my Stewarding position years ago I've tried applying for other Marcus Hotels in the Stewarding department but I believe that termination stops me from moving forward.
Pros
Free meals, great employees
Cons
Management is terrible
meh
Guest Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Lake Geneva, WINovember 20, 2018
Managers don't have your back long hours and days tend to drag. They always throw things at you last second. They care more about money than workers health and wellness and it's suppose to be a "family" company.
Pros
free lunches, good insurance
December 20, 2018

Thank you for your feedback and while we wish you felt better about your work experience at Marcus Hotels & Resorts we appreciate your candid response. We hope you have taken advantage of our "open door" policy to express your concerns to you manager, division head, HR and/or property General Manager.

We try to create a fair, friendly and engaging work environment and with your feed back the property should be able to find a way to make your experience more enjoyable and fruitful.

Thank you.

Horrible management
Banquet server (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 18, 2018
With new managers, expect a cut in your paycheck. Have worked events with more than 500 people and walked away with less than $100. Also there are a lot of issues with paychecks i.e. not getting the right amount of hours on checks or not getting paid for days that you have worked. Was sad to leave because the people working there were great but cannot put up with shady management.
Pros
Great break room with food, friendly coworkers
Cons
management, shady business.
August 27, 2018

We are sorry to hear about your poor experience. We have brought your comments to the attention of the HR Director for the Milwaukee market.

Hopefully you brought these concerns to someone's attention before you left. As you know we have an Open Door policy and also offer a confidential line for our associates to call if they are not comfortable discussing their concerns with someone on property.

If you continue to have concerns about how or what you where paid please feel free to call our corporate office at 414-905-1000 and ask for Human Resources. We always want to make sure you compensation is fair, accurate and timely.

Provides awesome work environment
Reservations Agent (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 13, 2018
The pfister hotel provides a wonderful work environment for their employees with benefits health insurance and retirement plans the management helps and motivates their employees with educational opportunities
Pros
Wonderful place to work
Cons
Parking
June 4, 2018

Thank you very much for your wonderful review. As you know we do our best to support and care for our associates. Our commitment and mission to Serve People, Create Memories and Deliver Exceptional Experiences flows from the top of our organization.

We realize parking in a large city like Milwaukee can be difficult to find and expensive. However, we do our best to offer convenient parking at a reasonable cost to our associates.We also offer bus pass and carpool discounts at many of our locations. Please check with your HR department for options, they will do their best to help.

Thank you again and good luck with your continued growth and success at Marcus Hotels & Resorts.

Fighting in a competitive industry.
Security Supervisor/Manager-On-Duty (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 10, 2018
The hotel industry is a competitive, fascinating industry. Turnover is high. "Good help is hard to find," and keep. Customers are very demanding. Every day is a battle.
October 5, 2018

Thank you for your feedback and commitment to serving our customers. Loss Prevention and Security are a critical part of the care we provide each and every guest. Our industry requires professionals who offer keen focus, diligent attention and a passion for serving others.

We take great pride in the work our teams do at each and every Marcus property to maintain the high standards we have set.

Co workers fun to work management hard to get along and no sympathy for death related issues
Banquets set up, food runner, some front desk (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 23, 2018
My transfer wasn’t properly handled to move to front desk manager said I can transfer after my last shift then turned around put on a mandatory meeting but my last day was Friday didn’t like how that was handled at all wasn’t scheduled anymore in the department after Friday smh
Pros
Being a Hilton member
Cons
Manager no employees skills
December 20, 2018

We are very sorry to hear about your less than positive experience. Marcus Hotels & Resorts strives to be an employer of choice and to handle each and every opportunity related to associate engagement and development in a positive and fulfilling manner. Unfortunately, it sounds like that did not happen in your case.

We hope you took advantage of our "open door" policy and spoke to someone in HR or possibly the hotels General Manager to find a positive resolution to your challenge.

Productive place to work
Culinary Intern (Former Employee) –  Lake Geneva, WI, USAJuly 1, 2018
Grand Geneva is a good hotel and good facilities. Being a line cook there wasn’t easy at all especially during weekdays and holiday and some of the kitchen staff has a bad attitude especially the sous chefs as well as the executive chef.
Pros
Free lunches
December 20, 2018

Thank you very much for your candid feedback. As a current or former associate your input is quite welcome and often utilized as a means to improve the quality of the work environment we provide.

As you may or may not know the Grand Geneva recently made some changes to their culinary department. If you are still with the property we hope the impact of these changes has been positive. If you have moved on to seek new opportunities we encourage you to reach out to colleagues still with the resort and to consider coming back to see how things have possibly improved for yourself..

Tough place for a che
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 17, 2017
My 1 year was a total beating. Always short staffed. No support from hr or my director. As for corporate, they never focused on the real picture of supporting the front line. Saw plenty of other management burn out and leave. If your in Milwaukee you will get supported well. Everyone else start looking for another opportunity.
Was given a 1% raise for doing a good job!
Pros
Payed the bills
Cons
Finally leaving at the end of the day
An ok work place, good associates, unhelpful managers in house keeping
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Lake Geneva, WISeptember 2, 2018
Its fast paced because there always short people. If someone is not in or called off you have to do there job on top of your own job. The house keeping manager isnt the best guy. Unhelpful i should say. 7 people quit their with in 1 month. The associates are great, customers are perfect, its jus the pay and manager.
Pros
Free lunches, guest surveys you
Cons
Short breaks, none helpable managers
December 20, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. Your input is critical to improving associate engagement and support at both the property and departmental level. While we have shared your comments with the property in question. We hope you took full advantage of our "open door" policy and shared these same concerns with your supervisor, department head, HR Director and/or Hotel General Manager.

Year Round Property
Culinary Intern (Former Employee) –  Grand Geneva Way, Wisconsin, USADecember 5, 2018
I worked here for like 7 months, the ambiance was so good. I have learned a lot on this property, on my first few months here I was assigned at the Banquet Kitchen and the months before my contract was done I work on their Pastry Kitchen.
December 20, 2018

Thank you for the kind feedback. If sounds as if you were part of an internship or training opportunity at the Grand Geneva Resort. With decades of experience guiding the development of aspiring hospitality and culinary professionals the resort has learned to go above and beyond to to assist with the professional development of our future industry leaders. Additionally, they always find ways to help trainees connect with the local community, culture and volunteer opportunities.

Good luck with what will likely be a very successful future.

fun place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lake Geneva, WINovember 25, 2018
I enjoyed the people both guests and employees. Both were fun and pleasent to be around. It made the day go by fast and made me want to go back to work for my next shifts. Good people.
December 20, 2018

We are so happy to hear you have had a positive experience working with our amazing team at the Grand Geneva Resort and Spa. We hope you continue to have fun working at the Grand for many years to come.

Do not work for Marcus
Valet / Bellman (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OK 73102May 23, 2017
I started for Marcus hotels in 2007 and only got a raise like once in my 10 years. They do not know how to manage the company yet alone the hotel. They bring in management that has no idea what they are doing or know how to cuts corners when they want. I worked at the hotel and was promised bell captain 6 years ago and then it "wasn't in the budget" then when it opens up a year ago they give it to a guy who has been there for a year and I was on year 8. Only us 2 applied but since front desk manager wanted people to control to do her work, went with him. Many things were brought up to corp. about stuff going on at the hotel and nothing ever got fixed and hints why the hotel is in a decline because employees are unhappy.
Pros
free lunch, great tips
Cons
management, pay raises, they cut peoples benefits in anyway they can
Wasn't there long
Steward (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLMay 26, 2018
I was only there for a short time however I want qiven a real chance to advance in the company, and was fired before I could really better myself as an employee.
Loved it
Office Coordinator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lake Geneva, WIOctober 17, 2018
I loved it, it was my first job it was so relaxing easy and fun. I wish I could have or find another job just like it. But I was on my third child and needed to start being a mom.
December 20, 2018

We love that you "loved it" at the Grand Geneva. We wish you the best with your young family and hope you will come back and work with us again in the future. As you probably know we do offer both part-time and on-call shifts in some departments. Possibly one of these opportunities might allow you to continue to work while you take care of your family commitments.

Awesome Place to Work!
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Pfister Hotel, Milwaukee WisconsinApril 8, 2017
I had been employed by Marcus through the Pfister Hotel as a Loss Prev Offocer. Great Management and Leadership from higher ups. I will never forget the personal touches that my Loss Prev Director displayed to those who wanted to learn and be a par of. IF the pay had been just a tad bit more competitive..and the advancement opportunities more realistic I believe that we (Marcus Corp and I) would still be in a growing customer oriented ,security minded professional relationship. I do not regret my time there at all. As I said it was a GREAT EXPERIENCE.
Pros
Respected as a Loss Prev Officer
Cons
Sometimes guests get away with bad benaviour for WHO they are
Nice people
Customer service and preparing meals (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 6, 2017
People should not be promoted straight out federal prison to being management.the opportunities for advancement are a joke.the benefits of the company are ok.
Pros
Free lunch good pay
Cons
Exhausting place rife with incompetence
Server (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 3, 2018
Constantly overstaffed so staff is very tense. Incompetent management and human resources team. Food poisoning reports from food outlets happened often and were hid from public
Pros
Cons
Draconian HR, constant supply shortage, gross employee food
i really liked working there.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 31, 2018
The hardest part of the day would be too many checkouts and too many floors for one person, other than that, you get to meet famous people such as a lot of basketball players.
Pros
meeting nice people
Cons
a lot of work.
August 27, 2018

Thank you for your comments. We truly value associate feedback.

We know Housekeeping is hard work, especially on days with lots of checkouts. The Skirvin Hotel could not be successful without your efforts and dedication.

Please stop into HR and speak to your HR Director if you ever have questions or run into any issues you cannot solve. Feel free to stop her or the hotel General Manager in the Family Room during lunch too if that is more convenient.

Our goal is to continually improve our property and ensure that we Serve People, Create Memories and Deliver Exceptional experiences to our guests, clients and associates.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marcus Hotels & Resorts. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

2.2Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight