Marcus Theatres Employee Reviews

Repetitive and long, but the people are ok
Concessions Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IADecember 3, 2018
-Management is just ok
-Majority of coworkers are high schoolers
-Won’t get a raise for a year
-Free Movies and popcorn
-Employees don’t always do their job leaving you to do it
-Stressful if in any position of power
Pros
Free movies and popcorn
Cons
Rare raises, mediocre management, long shifts 7-8hrs
The work was very fun, but poor compensation and working hours
Usher (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 28, 2018
I was with the conpany for only a few months before moving out of state with my family at the time. But the job itself was good for a beginner in the workforce. I worked at concessions and then breifly as a theater usher, i didnt deal much with management. I enjoyed the work, however no full time opportunities were available so i worked very little hours, and the compensation was very lacking.
Pros
Fun work environment, great co workers, decent benefits
Cons
Short hours, poor compensation
great place to work
Seasonal Temporary Associate (Former Employee) –  WisconsinJanuary 13, 2019
great place to work. would recommend to anyone looking for a great work environment. Great management who support work life balance. They also value communication.
Pros
movies
Cons
Wouldn’t recommend to my worst enemy.
Server (Current Employee) –  Trexlertown, PAFebruary 3, 2019
Management is a disaster at this place of employment. The kitchen has, since day one, taken forever with food on the 2 busy nights of the week...45 minutes for mozz sticks for one example; with occasional evenings where whole theaters wouldn’t receive their food at all. Management does not care about the employees and turn over is at an extraordinary high. Avoid this place like the plague, 0 stars.
Cons
Inconsistency with Managers and poor coworkers
Theatre Associate (Current Employee) –  Brookfield, WIAugust 26, 2018
Many of the managers at the Brookfield location are inconsistent with hints that are deemed correct or incorrect. One manager will say something is okay while another disagrees. Many of the theatre side employees do not do their job well and end up causing me to do the work. They are also beginning to hire new high school aged employees for their first job and are getting paid higher than associates that have been working there before the pay increase which is only being offered to new employees. The vending stand is also extremely dirty and rarely, if ever deep cleaned. Overall, many of the personalities there are great and they are nice people. However, these are not the people I would want to work with but rather spend time outside of work with.
Pros
Free Movies, 30% discount on hot food 30 minutes before or after your shift
Cons
No breaks if your over 18, low pay, no benefits, rare opportunities for overtime
An Amazing place to work at
Concession Worker (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAAugust 28, 2018
The staff the management the benefits and the whole experience working here is amazing no one is ever arguing with each other eveyone can collaborate and cooperate with each other making it a very stress free place
Pros
Free movies
Cons
Short breaks
Good starting job
Associate (Former Employee) –  Rosemount, MNAugust 13, 2018
Good place to start out and earn some cash. Do not work here too long unless you plan on becoming a manager. The pay is better as a manager and you get more hours, but there is less flexibility in asking for time off. More opportunity for raises as a manager.
Pros
Free movies, other minor discounts
Cons
No breaks, low pay
Fun people bad management
Theatre Associate (Former Employee) –  Pickerington, OHNovember 6, 2018
Your day is good or bad depending on which managers are there, I learned how to be verbally lashed without retorting, just about everyone but the GM and assistant manager is great to work with and fair. The hardest part of the job is the people most the time but they are also the best part of the job
Pros
Free drinks and one free small slushee a day
Cons
Extremely rude management, horrible schedules for employees
Decent high school job, but no opportunity for advancement.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Elk River, MNJuly 13, 2018
I got this job when I was 17. It was a very fun and carefree work environment, but into my college years I realized there was little opportunity for advancement or even a pay raise. Other than that, I would highly recommend this job for a high schooler!
Fun, but more than a handful.
Theatre Associate (Former Employee) –  Sun Prairie, WIJanuary 21, 2019
If one is to pursue this job, then hopefully you have a better experience than I did.
The general manager was horrible - either in his office "monitoring the cameras," or out-and-about threatening employees. If he caught you slacking, you could expect threats towards losing your job.
The other managers were not much better, but some were more than tolerable.
When arriving to work, I found myself scanning the parking lot for the GM's car. If it was there, I knew the shift was about to be bad. If it was nowhere to be seen, then I would have to pray there was a good assistant manager on shift.
The work was relatively easy, and there was a solid amount of free time (granted it is a weekday and there were not very good movies out.)
Most staff are young (high school age primarily) and therefore pretty incompetent.
Pros
Free movies. $1 movie passes every 12 hours of work. Free popcorn, soda, and (if you snuck it, ) other concession items.
Cons
Bad managers. Unreliable hours. Bad pay. Sometimes customers were extremely bitter.
Employees great, Management could have did better.
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  O'Fallon, ILOctober 26, 2018
Most employees that I worked with here very friendly, happy, nice coworkers. They got the job done as a team, and had very good communication skills. We here force too have all those things because the managers never listen, and we had to figure out everything on our own. For an example, every month we get new discounts, and we basically have to find out for ourselves with the discounts are and how to put them in the computer. The managers never let us know what deals we have, or what the deals are for. They never order the things we need. They had horrible communication .
Pros
Long breaks, nice clean environment.
Cons
Managers, Cutting hours
Fun Co-Workers Awful Management Company>Employee
Associate (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WIDecember 16, 2017
Mangement does next to nothing here. They may spew off a list of responsiblities but in reality all of the jobs they should be doing are done by the associates. Lots of favouritism not based off work performance. Will schedule you outside availability and good luck getting a co worker to take your shift. If you are lucky enough to find a somone to take it you will be punished for not working asigned shift. Everyone must work ALL holidays. Worked at two locations both GM's were sexist. Raises non existent.
Pros
Some enjoyable Co-Workers, sometimes Packers players come in
Cons
No breaks or Short breaks, poor management, poor pay, favoritism
Not a great place
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Waite Park, MNJune 30, 2018
Long hours including minor compensation for work. I mostly felt under appreciated as an employee and almost more so as an assistant manager. I would not reccommend
Great place for young individuals
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Worthington, OHAugust 29, 2018
To some it could be very stressful because it can become incredibly fast paced although they do not ask anything unrealistic of you

The management was a 5/10 not bad but not stellar

The pay is absolutely awful and should not be place you want to work if you need to pay the bills
Pros
Wonderful team and great people
Cons
Awful pay, very late nights
Stressful Environment thanks to manager
Vending Associate (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMarch 29, 2018
The general manager at my location often stretched expectations out over all employees. Treated many assistant managers with such disrespect it pushed them to leave, would schedule bare minimum employees required on a day, leaving us overworked and stressed and hurrying to get customers through the line, and expected things of us that weren't in our job descriptions and that we weren't getting a raise for.
Soul-sucking if Reliable
Associate (Vending/Ushing/Box Office) (Former Employee) –  Sheboygan, WI/Menomonee Falls, WIMarch 11, 2018
There were three good things about working at Marcus Theaters: The people I worked with were mostly great, it was easy to request off if I planned ahead, and I was able to see movies for free/very cheap.

Apart from that, it was a pretty awful place to work. The company, for whatever reason, is exempt from having to pay overtime, and during summers it wasn't uncommon to work overtime hours without compensation (the most I worked in a single week was roughly 74, but I knew others who worked more). Additionally, if you were an adult employee, they would not let you have breaks if you worked any less than twelve hours. They usually hire at minimum wage (7.25 where I am) and I wasn't given a raise in the entire 2-and-a-half years that I worked there.

It's fast-paced and stressful. A lot is demanded and very little is rewarded for meeting those demands. I usually tell people to avoid working there if they can.
Pros
Free movies, typically great people, works with your availability
Cons
excessive overtime hours with no compensation, long fast-paced hours with no real breaks, little-to-no pay raises, low-paying
Fun and fast paced work environment
F&B Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 18, 2018
Long work hours, work life balance doesn't exist if you are a member of the management team. Can be fun and fast paced work environment. Too many managers giving different direction, can be very confusing as to what to do first and how to prioritize.
Pros
fun
Cons
long days
Need better management
Bartender, Banquet bartending, server (Current Employee) –  Oakdale, MNJune 27, 2018
Marcus has poor training & advancement opportunities. The hardest part of the job was making sure that the health & safety standards were complied with, I have learned that I have high standards and will not waver them even under stressful situations. The most enjoyable part of my job was serving the customers, and working with my co-workers whom were amazing and work as a team.
Pros
50% off meals
Cons
no breaks, no suport from managers, limited training and advancemet opportunities
Great for first job opportunities and work experience.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Sun Prairie, WISeptember 28, 2018
Busy during holidays and can be stressful at times but coworkers help make it more enjoyable. Though unless in some management position usually under pays in most other positions.
Great Job for teens or people without bills
Associate (Current Employee) –  Country Club Hills, ILAugust 9, 2018
This job is very great, you're able to learn things that can help you throughout life. Due to Tuesdays being discounted to the public, the job can be overwhelming but you're able to stick it out. Especially when managers are working with you. Everything is EVERYTHING at this location besides the pay.
Cons
pay, compensations, salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marcus Theatres. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.4InHerSight Score

1.3Personal Development

1.4Career Opportunities

1.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight