Marden's Employee Reviews

Poor Management and Scheduling
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, MEMay 9, 2018
Overall a mediocre job experience. Manager’s were poor at managing employees and create a hostile work environment. Poor instructions and unprofessional attitudes make following directions difficult. Poor manager attitudes reflect directly on employees and create an overall negative work experience. Managers may know how to manage their department but cannot manage their own employees.

Frequent belittling for calling out in blizzards and for family emergencies. Additional belittling occurs for taking 15 minute breaks.

Very little work/life flexibility and working late nights/ weekends is ironic seeing how much Mardens directly advertises itself as a local family owned business.
Pros
Lots of parking space
Cons
Poor management, dirty work space, no work/life balance
Poor management
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Biddeford, MEApril 13, 2018
Store manager sits in her office all day, assistant manager is alright. The supervisor do not have any freedom in the department's they run. Management will give you an attitude and the silent treatment if you call in sick. Females expected to do heavy carry outs.you get spied on by loss prevention and if you do 1 thing wrong you get spoken to.Mardens expects you to be in 12 places at once.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Poor management, gossip
relaxed, family friendly business
SALES REPRESENTIVE (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, MEMarch 14, 2018
I started as a sales associate and after showing interest in sales, was promoted to Sales Representative in the furniture department. The company is family friendly and treats its employees very well.
Pros
layed back
Cons
minimal advancement
poor
Loss Prevention Manager (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MENovember 9, 2017
Marden's is a poor place to work which is surprising due to how large they are. they do not offer health insurance and they have well over 200 employees company wide. and they only pay minimum wage.
Great job
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, MEAugust 14, 2017
Fast-paced and upbeat. I learned a lot about customer service and my co workers were happy and helpful. It can be a lot helping hundreds of customers while being on your feet for 7-9 hours, but the pace and attitude of everyone keeps it enjoyable.
Always busy
Fabric Cutter (Former Employee) –  Sanford, MEMay 15, 2017
You always have something to do. If not cutting fabric, then organizing the bolts or restocking. It was nice but quick paced when you have busy days. Fun once you get the hang of it.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Breaks are kinda crumby.
Quality place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterville, MEMarch 15, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. They are genuine and like to see their employees succeed. They have by far the most reasonable schedule system and are generous when it comes to benefits.
Pros
Schedule
Cons
Lack of staff
Family run business that accommodates with people's lives outside of work.
Clothing Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sanford, MEAugust 30, 2016
Marden's has been the only work place that I have every known; and I have liked them enough to stay there for four years. I have been able to attend two years of high school and two years of college, with no scheduling problems. They have allowed me to take the time off that I have needed for school, or for any sort of emergency. I enjoy everyone who I have worked with there, and I enjoy being able to see the product before any of the customers do.

The hardest part of the job would be having to put on a smile when there's something going on at home, or between other coworkers. The best way to handle any situation like this, is to open up to someone and explain what you feel the issue is. Problems always get resolved.
Pros
Christmas Bonus Check
Cons
Pay
Not a forever job
Employee (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MEAugust 11, 2015
Great for high school or those nearing retirement unless you are in upper management. Its a great second job and slower pace. The hours are very friend on nights and weekends
My review
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Jersey Shore, PAJuly 7, 2014
Nice company to work with. Compensation was ok. Enjoyed driving different routes.
job seccurity/advancement
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Biddeford, MEApril 7, 2014
doing the cash-up ,then to the bank, getting cashiers ready for the day and the service desk ready.talked with management to see what was going on for the day.always talked with my co-workers to see what they were working on.really wasn't anything hard about the job after 10 yrs it is like a second skin same everyday.seeing the same repeat customers some became my friends.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
the night shifts
Not a company to make a career with.
Friend of employee (Former Employee) –  Sanford, MENovember 5, 2013
Had a friend work here for many years who was loyal and dedicated and they let them go because they claimed the position was eliminated. I know other employees that work there that should of been let go way before this guy should of. You couldnt have a better employee....
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
pay, management not friendly
Fun and stressful but busy
Cashier, cash office, clothing, customer service (Former Employee) –  Biddeford, MESeptember 6, 2013
Clock in count drawer get things set up for the day. Then go where ever they needed me I was trained for everything in the store except furniture.
That I enjoy working in retail.
Management was alright could have been better some of them had a bad habit of bringing there troubles to work and taking it out on the crew.
Coworkers were fun and most of them worked hard.
Hardest part of the job slow days when there were not a lot of customers.
All of it I loved everything I did there.
Pros
20% off
good temporary work place
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEOctober 22, 2012
When first starting out its good, gets harder when you have family medical problems or family that needs help and they don't give any help. Some co-workers are great and extremely friendly. A day at work consists of the register, stocking items, answering phones, dealing with returns, and customer service. The hardest part is trying to get a schedule that works for the employee and not just the employer. The most enjoyable part was working with great people and getting to hang out outside of work with them. The management is 50/50 best of days.
Pros
great friends, somewhat enjoyable work place
Cons
short breaks, not long enough lunches, not picking hours
wouldnt recomend
Hardware Clerk/Flooring Labor (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MEJuly 2, 2012
it was horrible. the managers wanted you to do something in every department in the store for min. wadge