Mariano's Employee Reviews

To many hours for little pay.
Bakery Manager (Current Employee) –  Northbrook, ILFebruary 11, 2019
Horrible management. Pay is low for many hours. Managers just get pushed without training. Many misconduct with management and hourly employees. Not professional at all.
Mariano’s has a superior environment opposed to other grocery stores.
Hot Foods Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 11, 2019
I really enjoyed the time worked at Mariano's. I met a lot of good peeple working there and got the opportunity to get experience in my first grocery store environment,
Pros
Discounts
Apply at your risk
General Team Member (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 10, 2019
Due of lack of training and safety issues , as well; It a lawsuit waiting to happen, I would not recommend this anyone till this problem is addressed and fix immediately not later.
They only care about the business
Del Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 6, 2019
They don’t care if you sick or have an emergency. If you miss any days you will get a write up or get suspended because unfortunately you couldn’t make it to work. They expect you to do a thousand things at once and if you didn’t get it done by the end of your shift your in trouble even if you finished majority of it.
Stressful and lots of gossiping and management that wasn't helpful
Grocery Clerk/ Clicklist Associate (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILFebruary 5, 2019
Although the pay wasn't too bad, the benefits were awful and management was poor. Managers were often replaced and would give attitude if a favor was asked of them. The managers would also bad mouth you behind your back. Sundays were typically the busiest days and would constantly have someone down your neck telling you what to do.
Pros
got payed extra on sundays
Cons
short breaks
fast pace
ADMINISTRATOR/SPIRITUAL DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILFebruary 3, 2019
Mariano's is a fast pace and busy place to work everyday a new experience your advance is up to you if you desire to move up its up to you.
interacting with the public is a major part of your daily life.
customer service is number one role of a Mariano emloyee.
it is a chill job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 3, 2019
most days it is a chill job, other days such as holidays and weekends are the busiest of them all they would get so busy that you may not get a break.
Cons
shortbreaks
its just perfect for a job when you're in high school
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 30, 2019
Mostly stressful co workers were rude usually not fair. You were always at a register taking care of customers or you were helping coworkers bag. Then wrapping things up at the end you would clean registers.
Cons
short breaks
Union
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Norridge, ILJanuary 23, 2019
You do have Union so you are protected and workers have certain rules they must follow. You can not call off without getting written up. I believe after a certain number of write ups you do get fired.
Pros
discounts, friendly work place
Cons
short breaks, favorites, rude customers
Terrible place
Bakery Lead (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 17, 2019
The one I was at had terrible management, the basic retail bs. They were in it for themselves since they were on salary, so they didn’t listen or had selective hearing. We had whole issues where union threatened to call lawyers, had a mental breakdown that still affects me to this day. I can’t even go back in that store or I’ll have a panic attack.

Leveling up was a scam, instead of hiring more or doing it the right way they’d just make someone in charge so they didn’t have to pay more. And they’d drag it out so when you’d finish a level they’d tell you that there’s more to it, but they wait to tell you until you’re already at that point. My coworker had to call union to get her leveled up and it wasn’t even worth the 30¢ raise.

No free food, everyone stole even the management.the discount was like 5% off their brand products (which few bought)

No real training but then would have issues with what you don’t know or don’t do right.

If you go in thinking you want to make a difference, DONT GO. Marianos is a hellish company of incompetence where it’s supposed to matter most, with the people in charge. BUT if you think you can benefit off that then go for it.

It just made me realize I’m not a follower of idiots and have strong leadership skills that I should follow so I’m thankful for that
Pros
Met good peopl
Cons
Just about everything else
Great learning experience
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJanuary 15, 2019
It was my first job during high-school and quickly made it to a store manager in my 4 years there. I learned SO much from all the people I had the opportunity of working with and I can't thank them enough for that. I would have loved to stay but unfortunately I was transferred without my consent and my commute tripled to 104mi round trip. It is very common practice and is known there that if you decline a transfer that you will be let go. Felt like a slap in the face after giving 60-80+ hour work weeks for my last 2 years there. There is ZERO work life balance. Pay was also very little for the amount of work you actually provided for the company. In the end I learned a lot and will use the experience elsewhere,
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
no life, little pay
Good place for students.
Front-End Cashier (Former Employee) –  Skokie, IL 60076January 14, 2019
Great if you need job experience. You can pick any position you want. The only downside is the pay rate and you have to wear a dressed shirt and tie everyday.
Pros
Flexible hours.
Cons
Low pay
Great teams if you're at the right location. Horrible upper management
Clicklist manager, Management (Former Employee) –  chicago land areaJanuary 14, 2019
As a manger if you want to give up every waking moment working for a company that does not care about you then Marianos is the place to be. Stay a level 3 or 4. Do not go into management., You are contracted to 50 to 55 hours a week as salaried manager, most likely $47,500 starting to $55,000. Expect to work 12 hour days on average, if not more. Never have a holidays or weekends off. Your days off are contaminated by work. You have a major event in your personal life? Too bad, so sad, not a chance that is going to happen. There is no work to life balance. Good luck to you if you ever get a break twice a month. Go somewhere else.
Pros
retirement plan
Cons
everything.
Its a job
Replentishment Manager (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILJanuary 13, 2019
Replenishment manager job at Mariano's is third shift, with lots of physical labor, and always a shortage of workers for your shifts. The time goes by fast, because you are constantly racing the clock to finish. they experience a lot of turnover, because of the working environment.
Pros
learned a lot
Cons
Labor shortage makes the job feel like a lesson in futility. Hard to meet objectives.
Clean workplace
Demo Team Member (Current Employee) –  Crystal Lake, ILJanuary 10, 2019
Mariano's provided a clean and friendly workplace. The store was brand new and it was exciting to participate in the Grand Opening.

I would recommend this location as it was their flagship store.
Pros
shift rotations
Cons
not enough hours
Na
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 10, 2019
Know room to advance part time not enough hours my day was load unload trucks put products on shelf in orderly fashion work well with others know one train me learn things on my on,
You Live to Work with Mariano's
People Service Manager- HR (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 10, 2019
You will never be bored working at Mariano's. On the plus a lot of things you can learn about working at Mariano's, but there is absolutely no work life balance. You will work most weekends in a month and on all holidays. Mariano's is only closed on Christmas Day through the year.
Pros
Learning about variety of foods
Cons
Work hours & Days, General Public, no employee bathrooms, bad union contract
Wasn't a great experience, the management was unfriendly, but the work environment was acceptable.
Fresh Hourly Associate (Current Employee) –  Crystal Lake, ILJanuary 7, 2019
Mariano's had a clean work environment and was well organized overall. However management could be unfriendly and uncompromising at times. Communication was also lacking at times.
Good person
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Chicago Ridge, ILJanuary 6, 2019
Buenas personas,pero me cambio de trabajo por que nesesito uno más cerca de mi casa
Pros
Nada
Cons
Nada
Not worth it
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, ILJanuary 5, 2019
There's a lot of cons bare with me. First off, the pay was way to low for what your asked to do. Number #2. They did not promote from within. And to even get promoted was impossible. Only the favorites were given time to use the computer during the day. The others had to use it at night after an full shift of hard work. They would also bring a person out of the blue to take your job instead of promoting from within. They played favorites with whom they promoted. They would promote workers who did little to no work as opposed to the people who actually worked the hardest. They would promote these managers out of left field wondering where did they get this guy from? Where did he earn his stripes? They didn't care about your health. Your were harassed if you were going to get a drink of water or use the bathroom. If you got hurt, they would try and rush you back to work like your playing in the NFL. Managers would harass you and try and rush you back to work even if you weren't healthy. You can't switch departments like they claim you can. They would switch certain people but other's were discriminated against. At the end of the day, if they didn't treat their employees like cattle they might be able to run a successful company. Also, there is no such thing as seniority. You could work their your whole life and your still doing the grind it out work when you started. If they pay was higher, the juice would be worth the squeeze. Also, its a rigged system as Donald Trump would say. They hire their buddies from Jewel or Dominick's and if your not one of their "click" good luck. You  more... might be stuck working as a general your entire life. All I got to say is don't do it. Work for a company like Southwest Airlines. At least they pay for your shoes when they get worn down. Trust me. I had to work barefoot during a whole shift because I couldn't afford shoes.  less
Pros
There were no pros besides the laughs you got from they way you were treated.
Cons
30 minute breaks