Maricopa County Community College District

Maricopa County Community College District Employee Reviews

United States129 reviews
Good
Only when I needed more hours
To secure and My A.R.S had issures I needed Access to it

Wasn't easy But for the most part

I enjoyed working Here
Think twice
No career growth. Seems like the incompetent sweaky wheels get rewarded, excellence only gets more work. Veteran employees have been down graded and redlined.
Not what I expected
I was hired to do learning and development but have been overwhelmed with employee relations issues. There is a great lack of emotional intelligence or willingness to self examine during conflict.
Used to be great.
MCCCD used to be a great company to work for. However, over the last decade, and especially within the last 2 years, they seem to be slipping, rapidly. Multiple initiatives that never actually go anywhere, and they have used the Classification and Compensation study to severely cut the salary ranges of new employees. Furthermore, pay placement within the salary ranges used to be completely transparent--you knew exactly what you would be offered going in. Since the compensation study, HR has made these "Standard pay placement procedures" completely opaque, and frequently low-balls new employees. Upon being questioned, they may "re-calculate" and will frequently tell you that they messed up and are actually *over paying* you. I would have far more faith in them if they'd simply make those procedures openly visible to all employees; for a company that touts it's pay equity initiatives, I find it disheartening, suspicious, and even alarming that they keep those documents so secretly hidden.
Politicized
Very polarized and politicized environments. There is a lack of focus on objectives and no track for personal success. Style is management and no leadership.
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
A good place to work
Good staff, motivated students. Adjuncts were treated with respect: our input was sought and considered . Students were eager to learn and appreciative of any extra efforts made by their instructors.
Maricopa Collies are a rudderless Ship
MCCCD has no direction. The last technology CIO was a disaster and he overcommitted the budget to future contracts. The management of technology is inexperienced. I would really think twice about working there.
Relaxed atmosphere and the pay is good
You are given the freedom to teach the course how you choose. You are evaluated once a year, but they are typically good since you will have to be a content expert to teach there.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere and the pay is good.
Cons
I'm an adjunct and don't receive health care
Excelente
Un excelente ambiente de trabajo, fue una grata experiencia en todos los niveles
Horrible working in District Human Resources
The HR Dept is completely dysfunctional. The new CHRO talks a good game, but in practice is military style demanding and unreasonable in her approach and expectations - no work life balance at all in HR
Pros
Compensation and benefits very good
Cons
No work life balance; senior leader in HR
Largest Nepotistic Society in the State
Adjuncts without relations, friends, family and believes such as religion, political and other which should never be a consideration are very often the driving force and the only considerations made. Elevation of position is often the result of favor for a another hire favor. Out of court settlements have quashed many of these, across many of the campuses. In the end the clients, the students, are the ones who suffer from improper teaching and learning outdated materials. It will take someone in a high office to send the DOJ, Social Security, State Attorney Genera to quash all these bugs. As a side the above was apparently presented to Chancellor Rufus Glasper in his last months hoping he would take a broom, he did not.

Also apparently those filling those papers are no longer at MCCD. Others implicated were elevated to unbelievable ranks, usually reserved for higher level os service.
Work hard, keep head down
Leadership is unreliable and staff seems to be drained of life. IMPOSSIBLE to advance and pay is completely inadequate. You cannot get more money without advancement, no advancement unless you "know" someone. Do it for the students, not for the money.
20 years ago MCCD was a leader. No longer the case
Overrun by incompetent Project Managers with no real Change Management Skills at all. No raises in 5 years. Amin Paid ridiculous salaries while Faculty sometimes get paid accurately. VPs not accountable to their roles. In fighting, low morale and a Chancellor that has been absent from their real job for about 3 years.
Pros
Get to work with students
Cons
Low morale, Low pay, Unstable environment
There was a lot of leadership change
There is a lot of leadership change going on within the district. One college is currently hiring two vice presidents. The chancellor is leaving this year.
Teacher assistant
First thing in the morning I would go into the classrooms and put all the chairs down. Then I would have to fill the spray bottles. After that I would have to make breakfast. Throughout the day I would interact with the kids, and observe them. And optimize the learning and play environment.
Great benefits with no opportunity for growth
An educational institution which genially cares about the students. Most coworkers are friendly and helpful but certain shortcomings exist. Full time faculty are placed high above all other employee groups in terms of opportunity, benefits, and job security. Zero resources and opportunities are currently available to help non faculty increase their pay or position outside of applying for a new job within the college network. Some benefits for non faculty include tuition waivers and $4,000/year funding for conferences, workshops, and other learning events. The health coverage is amazing.
Pros
tuition waivers, great health insurance
Cons
shaky job security, no advancement, frozen pay
Overall, I had a good working experience. I had a great relationship with my Division Chair. Communication and team work in the entire organization is what makes the job difficult.
allows teacher to teach without unnecessary problems or issue
student issues resolved within policies, guidelines, and protocol of Maricopa Community College District

staff and peers were very helpful with professional questions
It is a company that has job security. It has great Medical Business
I work at a desk and process invoices from vendors and refunds to VA. I also answer the phone for 10 campuses and the district office.
I have learned that being very detailed with my work will prevent errors. The hardest part of my job is when the invoices do not have a purchase order number on them, because it takes time to research the system for the correct number.
Pros
I work everyday and have of weekends.
Cons
N/a
Good teaching experience
I have had several years of doing clinical adjunct teaching at Maricopa Community Colleges and it has been a positive experience working with nursing students.
Fun and easy
It was a temporary position, helping the culinary department. I worked serving for the International Cuisine class. I assisted in taking orders, and serving guests.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Maricopa County Community College District. Our community is ready to answer.