Maricopa County Community College District Employee Reviews

Program Coordinator
PROGRAM COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 14, 2018
Teaching is and always will remain a labor of love - for some reason Arizona, and even the nation, does not seem to value education as much as other careers - but MCCC certainly does the very best they can to work in and around those restrictions. Great place to work.
Rewarding experience
Adjunct Mathematics Professor (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJuly 19, 2018
I enjoyed working with the students at Mesa Community College and South Mountain Community College from 2006 to 2016. Overall, I found the majority of the students to be serious about giving their best efforts and being very respectful.
Pros
Loved working with the students
Cons
The schedule varied from semester to semester
Fun Place to work at
Group Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 4, 2018
I enjoy working here. My manager does not micro-manage me and the educational benefit is a plus. My co-teachers are really nice and supportive, as well as the management.
Pros
Educational Benefits
Cons
No healthcare
Nondiversified and discriminate
Full time applied sciences (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJune 28, 2018
Wonderful opportunity to make a difference serving students in higher education; hostile work environment overwhelmed with silly but lethal status-conscious power struggles and discriminatory practices by administrators who are more fearful of a "no confidence vote" from the faculty than they have moral conviction to do what is right. False accusations and threats are commonplace tactics. Many staff members are too intimidated to stand up to workplace bullying and request re-assignment, early retirement, quit, or lay low despite the bad practices they witness.

They do not follow there own policies and procedures, and make up situations and protect there own from department to administration
Pros
Salary
Academic Disfuction
Technology and Design Faculty (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 27, 2018
Typical academic culture. It's who you know. If you want a job here get to know a department chair. However if that chair retires you probably won't have a job long!
Good organization to work for. Student-focused and supportive of employees.
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJune 22, 2018
MCCCD is a good place to work overall. The culture is student-centered, focused on helping students be successful, and is also supportive of employees.
Pros
Enjoyable work environment.
Cons
Low pay for adjuncts who are only given 1 or 2 courses to teach.
Teacher satisfaction
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 9, 2018
My satisfaction comes from being able to impact the lives of students by teaching them basic skills needed for their healthcare career. I have no other benefits except that.
Pros
Chance to help others succeed.
Cons
Not enough hours.
Senior Management (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZApril 27, 2018
Great place to work, great work/life balance. Jobs are secure after initial 6-month probation. Management has good intentions however a tiny group of executive leaders do not possess the necessary leadership skills.
Beautiful but slow College
Performing Arts Theatre Technology Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZApril 25, 2018
The College is plagued with hiring problems at the time of writing. (Early 2018) Other than that the only downside of the college is pay and benefits relative to experience and education. Beautiful campus with plenty of collaborative tools.
Pros
Collaborative tools.
Cons
Pay and Benefits, Job Security, and bureaucracy.
Hidden Agenda Lack of Transparency
Senior Leadership (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZMarch 16, 2018
Since the retirement of the previous chancellor the district has lost moral, ethics and has created a culture of distrust. The current chancellor has her personal agenda.
Pros
Free parking, salary
Cons
Lack of internal promotion of current employees
Adjunct
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZFebruary 26, 2018
I enjoyed teaching as an adjunct with Glendale Community College and South Mountain Community College. Great classes and supportive staff. I enjoyed the ability to create my own syllabus and techniques used to teach each course.
Mcccd
Coordinator for Minority Male Initiative Program (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZFebruary 9, 2018
A typical day involved teleconferencing with campus representatives in order to build a foundation for on campus support groups for minority male students.
Pros
Ground breaking opporutnity
Cons
Job security
Hostile environment at the whim of status-conscious, bullying administration and middle management
Student services (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 16, 2018
My initial teaching job was at Maricopa Community Colleges. I had a wonderful coordinator who worked with me to learn the system.
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  BUMC,January 14, 2018
My colleagues are easy to work with and very supportive. I can always go to them for advice or assistance with any student or class problems, I have learned a great deal since working there and I feel I have much more not only to learn, but to contribute to future students.
Pros
pleasant environment
Cons
Poor benefits for adjuncts
Student Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 9, 2018
Federally funded with limited budget.
Overall, it was a great place to work. Have the opportunity to network, work independently, explore creativity, meet new people, and interact with students and families.

The only downside was that it was a contracted projected with means budget restrictions and the project and an expiration date.
Pros
Meet great people.
Cons
Limited Budget.
Maricopa Community College District Hire Temporary
Dual Enrollment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZDecember 30, 2017
The jobs was rewarding, however it is very difficult to work knowing that in just a few months you will be unemployed. You have no medical benefits or vacation which really effect ones life.
Maricopa Community College hire part-time temporary
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZDecember 30, 2017
Assisting students with their academic, career, personal/social, and health/wellness goals is was wonderful. My manager and staff was very supportive. The hardest part of the job was that it is very difficult to be hired as a full-time employee with the Maricopa Community College due to their budget.
Great place to work!
Residential Faculty (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 25, 2017
Maricopa Colleges is a wonderful, collaborative place to work. There are a variety of opportunities to advance a career, and employment practices are extremely fair.
On the downside, institutions of higher education tend to get mired in the past and are extremely resistant to change. The benefit of collaboration also leads to the detriment of inability to take risks. Similarly, the fair employment practices can lead to entrenchment of individuals who lack motivation to change.
Pros
Collaboration, fair employment practices
Cons
Resistance to change, life-long employment hinders motivation.
Adjunct is Best
Education Instructor at Phoenix College -Adjunct (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 12, 2017
I had a wonderful time working with the community college students. I was teaching Education Diversity and Education Philosophy to those who were were deciding if they wanted to be teacher and at what level of teaching they wanted to be. I had all the freedom and support I needed to keep me and the students engaged. If offered a position at another community college I would have no problem taking it. I really loved the experience.
Pros
Active Life Learners
Cons
Odd Schedules, Grading Papers
On going learning enviornment with support from co-workers
Professor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 5, 2017
Maricopa community college is a collaborative working job culture. There is support provided to learn and assistance is available to support employees through on going learning.

Typical day of preparing for class is structuring an outline of the class. Reading text book, creating assignments and preparing class lessons. All assignments are placed into a software program to prepare for each class.
Pros
Classes provided for continued learning