Maricopa County Community College District

Maricopa County Community College District Employee Reviews

Personally I enjoyed working there
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  ArizonaSeptember 14, 2018
I had great managers, decent pay, challenging work. The culture is very much one of helping the students make it through college. It can be frustrating not to have any job security though
Great people and great benefits
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZAugust 28, 2018
I did enjoy my time working at Maricopa Community Colleges District. I left to pursue a career in Real Estate. I would go back again if I had the opportunity and was not moving out of state.
I loved what I did, but not the bureaucracy
Lab Manager/Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZAugust 27, 2018
Every morning at 0700 and called security to open the doors to the lab, prepared the first class with the days curriculum. worked in adjacent office preparing cultures and culture plates for the following classes, spoke with vendors to facilitate the 3.5 million dollar NSF grant requirements. worked on experiments to procure statistical data for the grants, made powerpoint presentations for the NSF grant as well as the teachers workshop conducted during the summer. Wrote protocols, designed swag and accommodations for teachers and professors, such as rooms and consumables during workshop. I would return after each class to dispose of hazardous waste and facilitate the curriculum for the next class. During open lab hours, I would oversee all students finishing experiments, sometimes on the weekends.
Pros
love for science
Cons
No Medical benefits .
Working in a very unique sector of MCCD, I did not have the same opportunities due to my position. I enjoyed the flexibility in my area.
Project Specialist (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZAugust 22, 2018
My typical day required me to compose a manual on my time due to the fact I was working with a team on a grant through MCCD. My team needed better communication skills, however, they were all reasonable, straight forward, and try to be punctual to the best of their abilities.
Good place to work but no room for advancement
Grounds keeper 1 (Former Employee) –  ArizonaAugust 14, 2018
Enjoyed what I did but no benefits and no pay raises and no chance for advancement! Great environment great hours,just wish it could have been full time!
Pros
Good place to work great people to work with
Cons
No benefits no pay raises no advancement
Program Coordinator
PROGRAM COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 14, 2018
Teaching is and always will remain a labor of love - for some reason Arizona, and even the nation, does not seem to value education as much as other careers - but MCCC certainly does the very best they can to work in and around those restrictions. Great place to work.
Rewarding experience
Adjunct Mathematics Professor (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJuly 19, 2018
I enjoyed working with the students at Mesa Community College and South Mountain Community College from 2006 to 2016. Overall, I found the majority of the students to be serious about giving their best efforts and being very respectful.
Pros
Loved working with the students
Cons
The schedule varied from semester to semester
Fun Place to work at
Group Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 4, 2018
I enjoy working here. My manager does not micro-manage me and the educational benefit is a plus. My co-teachers are really nice and supportive, as well as the management.
Pros
Educational Benefits
Cons
No healthcare
Nondiversified and discriminate
Full time applied sciences (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJune 28, 2018
Wonderful opportunity to make a difference serving students in higher education; hostile work environment overwhelmed with silly but lethal status-conscious power struggles and discriminatory practices by administrators who are more fearful of a "no confidence vote" from the faculty than they have moral conviction to do what is right. False accusations and threats are commonplace tactics. Many staff members are too intimidated to stand up to workplace bullying and request re-assignment, early retirement, quit, or lay low despite the bad practices they witness.

They do not follow there own policies and procedures, and make up situations and protect there own from department to administration
Pros
Salary
Academic Disfuction
Technology and Design Faculty (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 27, 2018
Typical academic culture. It's who you know. If you want a job here get to know a department chair. However if that chair retires you probably won't have a job long!
Good organization to work for. Student-focused and supportive of employees.
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJune 22, 2018
MCCCD is a good place to work overall. The culture is student-centered, focused on helping students be successful, and is also supportive of employees.
Pros
Enjoyable work environment.
Cons
Low pay for adjuncts who are only given 1 or 2 courses to teach.
Teacher satisfaction
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 9, 2018
My satisfaction comes from being able to impact the lives of students by teaching them basic skills needed for their healthcare career. I have no other benefits except that.
Pros
Chance to help others succeed.
Cons
Not enough hours.
Senior Management (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZApril 27, 2018
Great place to work, great work/life balance. Jobs are secure after initial 6-month probation. Management has good intentions however a tiny group of executive leaders do not possess the necessary leadership skills.
Beautiful but slow College
Performing Arts Theatre Technology Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZApril 25, 2018
The College is plagued with hiring problems at the time of writing. (Early 2018) Other than that the only downside of the college is pay and benefits relative to experience and education. Beautiful campus with plenty of collaborative tools.
Pros
Collaborative tools.
Cons
Pay and Benefits, Job Security, and bureaucracy.
Hidden Agenda Lack of Transparency
Senior Leadership (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZMarch 16, 2018
Since the retirement of the previous chancellor the district has lost moral, ethics and has created a culture of distrust. The current chancellor has her personal agenda.
Pros
Free parking, salary
Cons
Lack of internal promotion of current employees
Adjunct
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZFebruary 26, 2018
I enjoyed teaching as an adjunct with Glendale Community College and South Mountain Community College. Great classes and supportive staff. I enjoyed the ability to create my own syllabus and techniques used to teach each course.
Mcccd
Coordinator for Minority Male Initiative Program (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZFebruary 9, 2018
A typical day involved teleconferencing with campus representatives in order to build a foundation for on campus support groups for minority male students.
Pros
Ground breaking opporutnity
Cons
Job security
Hostile environment at the whim of status-conscious, bullying administration and middle management
Student services (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 16, 2018
My initial teaching job was at Maricopa Community Colleges. I had a wonderful coordinator who worked with me to learn the system.
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  BUMC,January 14, 2018
My colleagues are easy to work with and very supportive. I can always go to them for advice or assistance with any student or class problems, I have learned a great deal since working there and I feel I have much more not only to learn, but to contribute to future students.
Pros
pleasant environment
Cons
Poor benefits for adjuncts
Student Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 9, 2018
Federally funded with limited budget.
Overall, it was a great place to work. Have the opportunity to network, work independently, explore creativity, meet new people, and interact with students and families.

The only downside was that it was a contracted projected with means budget restrictions and the project and an expiration date.
Pros
Meet great people.
Cons
Limited Budget.