Maricopa County Employee Reviews

it was an election center
Voting polls worker (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZMarch 19, 2019
What you'd expect from working polls. It was just a one time deal, so I don't really consider it a job. Did it for school extra credit and the money.
Pros
Helped people vote, got to skip school
Cons
half hour break for 12+ hour day
Great co-worker
Adult Probation Officer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 28, 2019
Maricopa County allows family to come first. Unit works well together and allow employees to work at their pace and time after the probation period is over.
Productive,
Juvenile Detention Officer/Programmer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 14, 2019
A bit rough at first, with hard work and patience, there is positive outcomes.
As an acting Supervisor Juvenile Detention Officer
Interviewing and counseling, Probation casework services, diversion activities, and juvenile court hearings.
While doing my internship at Family Treatment Court, I learned to work in a new aspect of the court that dealt with families overcoming addictions.
great
Garnishment Administrator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 9, 2019
Rate this company

*required

Overall rating*

The worst place to work
Court operations specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 31, 2018
I’ve worked for federal, state and county and Maricopa County clerk of the court was the worst job I’ve ever had in my life. The training is poor. There’s no leadership or organization. Beware of COC they’re separate from the actual county so they’re paid less and treated worst. They’re scale for pto was based on how many hours you actually worked for the week and time in with ASRS. Management was fair but the staff under management are terrible. I’m not sure how they even got their position. Do not work here unless you don’t mind doing absolutely nothing for your first 5 months and they will randomly make you work all alone at a window claiming you were “trained”
Pros
Free bus pass, health insurance incentives
Cons
Poor leadership
Fast Pace, and Heavy workloads
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZDecember 28, 2018
A typical work day consists of a lot of research involving clients. Assisting attorneys with documentation for court appearances. Contacting the courts and supplying clients with an update upon request in regards to court hearings and statuses.
Pros
Monday-Friday shifts, paid holidays
Cons
Short breaks, low advancements
n/a
Case Manager/Utilization review Nurse (Former Employee) –  Gwinnett County, GADecember 21, 2018
do not live in Maricopa County live in another state now

The company provided many services for the community, kept a great working staff much of this due to fairness to the staff.
Planning and Development
Development Services Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 20, 2018
The job is stressful, they do not appreciate the workers. Too much favoritism. They have you covering multiple areas and do not appreciate their employees. The new director is horrible and some of the management is horrible. A lot of employees treated unfairly. Employees leaving left and right.
Pros
Was great to work with some co-workers
Cons
Management does not care about their employees. No direction
Horrible experiance!!! Stay away!!
Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  3325 W. DurangoDecember 20, 2018
Low pay. Lots of drama. Racism. Hostile environment. Lazy employees. 1 hour naps at supposed lunch in welding shop Ed Dunn & Anthony Bonilla. Mechanic Steve Wikander who charged labor and parts and never installed $30000 of parts on customer equipment= flood control and mcdot . He was given option to resign. He did however get a letter of recommendation from supervisor. Ed Dunn for job at city of Glendale. Straight pay on holidays. The only good points are benefits. Stay far away!!!
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Fairway/Sun City
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sun City, AZDecember 11, 2018
I enjoyed working with the Staff and learning new responsibilities at the library. I was feeling close to them just about as much I was at White Tank Mountain.
Pros
The Staff
Cons
driving from one library to another library
Overall Great Organization
Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 29, 2018
Maricopa County can be a great place to work depending on what department or location you are employed. Some areas are treated quite unfairly compared to others, but that's something that you need to watch for before accepting an offer for a specific position. Overall, the organization focuses on training, employee satisfaction, and collaboration which is great. Most people think that being employed at the County provides wonderful benefits, but really, it isn't anything more than a private company as you pay for many of the benefits yourself. During my employ with the County, I was under great management yet I felt as though the employees tend to get overlooked when the Board makes their decisions. Another thing when accepting a position within the county is keep in mind that large firms like this are filled with cliques and it takes a true extrovert to break through some of the barriers.
Kyrene Justice Court
Judicial Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kyrene Justice CourtNovember 28, 2018
Do not work here. The management, people and lack of training were horrible. I wanted to file a complaint. I saw 2 great employees get fired over politics. Everyone is very cliquey and there is a lack of peer support. Find another place to work. The county is great as I have worked for another court, but this place is not. Save yourself some time and energy.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Stressful place to work
Sims clerk (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 25, 2018
Former sims clerk Stressful work no room for mistakes micromanaging leads. U wrk in the basement along with tbe rodents. It was a job for a paycheck.
Pros
Medical i@ good
Cons
Negative hostile work environment
Management nightmare
Social Services Director - Head Start Program (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZNovember 3, 2018
I had 5 different bosses within6 months. I never knew what was expected of me because each new boss had new priorities. It was very difficult to feel comfortable or accomplish anything because the game kept changing.
Pros
Nice co-workers, good benefits
Cons
Too many bosses and no clear guidance.
Worst Government Job
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 30, 2018
DO NOT APPLY HERE unless you enjoy being micromanaged, low salary, a toxic-negative cut-throat work environment, no perks i.e., flex schedules, comp time earned, no training/travel unless you are in management or one of the favorites of management, evaluations are dismal if given at all and beware because you will never receive anything higher than a "meets job requirements" regardless of your efforts thus, hard work, dedication, and loyalty are not rewarded. There is extreme mistrust of ALL employees beginning with the "clocking-in" requirement for everyone except management, they on the other hand may come and go as they please, take long lunches, leave early, come in late etc., however, for those not in management you can expect to be reprimanded if you clock in one minute early or late, breaks are discouraged and it is written into policy "breaks are allowed at management's discretion" and if you do take one you are being watched and timed and can be reprimanded for taking a break due to "work constraints" which is always the case due to the chronic high turn over rate.

This is not a family-friendly environment, they do not care if you need to take your sick child to the doctor or stay home with your sick child or other family member, they expect you to go to work regardless of circumstances however, management may take off as much time as they like and not just a day or two, they exercise special privileges and may take weeks off at a time while upper management turns a blind eye. The daily office environment is excruciatingly long, difficult, and painful due to the
  more... mountain of work employees are constantly underneath, you must work twice as hard on a constant basis due to the chronic under-staffing issue. Also, you will never be recognized, promoted or given a raise that will actually make much of a difference (it's never anything significant) and there are no bonuses for anyone, those funds are reserved for Team Management, who are rewarded privately/confidentially. Although this is a "government office" they can and often do fire people at will which explains their probation policy. If you find another position within the County and it's considered a "promotion" you must serve another 12 months of probation. From all appearances they seem to thrive on the witch hunt of finding reasons to terminate and it's rarely handled professionally, there is no discretion exercised whatsoever, the employee is monitored closely and not allowed to take anything except their clothes, wallet/purse then the employee is escorted from the office in front of peers, colleagues, visitors/the public etc.

I would advise anyone to run the other way, find employment at a municipality or better yet with the federal government where there is much better and equal pay, flexible schedules, training/travel for all employees, higher evaluation ratings that include time-off awards and bonuses given to all employees for exceeding job requirements, these things do exist in other government agencies unfortunately, they DO NOT exist at the Maricopa County Attorney's Office unless of course you are part of Team Management.

Happy Federal Employee
Pros
Free Bus Pass, Covered Parking
Cons
Over worked, under paid, micro-management culture, high turnover, toxic-negative cut-throat environment
Loved it
Justice System Clerk (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 9, 2018
I always had to best supervisors while at the county, was always encouraged to move forward and apply my skills elsewhere for better pay when I could.
Pay and benefits
LPN (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 7, 2018
Benefits are good but the hourly pay is horrible. They also take out 11% for your pension every check. So basically majority of your check is going to retirement and taxes.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Short staffed, horrible pay
Review Summary
Arizona (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 4, 2018
Little room for advancement opportunity, slow moving changes, outdated systems, no flexible work schedules, no paid time for new parents, low wages with board approved raises between 0-3.0%, salary suppression based on compensation practices, no training for new employees. Offers tuition reimbursement and internal training opportunities that are not utilized by management. Most of the people are really caring individuals who want to help support others.
job security
Clerk of the Court - Courtroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 28, 2018
Work in for Maricopa County Sheriff's Office was a very good teaching job. I learned a lot about my job but also learned a lot myself. The when I transferred to Clerk of the Count I think that was the best job I have ever had. It was interesting, exciting and fun. I worked for a couple of great judges and made several new friends.
Pros
the people, the cases
Cons
upper management
Productive work enviroment/Great Benefits
Health Unit Clerk/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 25, 2018
Excellent employee benefits. Pay scale low. Great people to work with. Excellent training and on-going education. Learned many skills working at Maricopa County. High quality interaction with doctors, nurses, medical staff.
Pros
Employee benefits
Cons
Low pay