Maricopa County Employee Reviews

Loved it
Justice System Clerk (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 9, 2018
I always had to best supervisors while at the county, was always encouraged to move forward and apply my skills elsewhere for better pay when I could.
Pay and benefits
LPN (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 7, 2018
Benefits are good but the hourly pay is horrible. They also take out 11% for your pension every check. So basically majority of your check is going to retirement and taxes.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Short staffed, horrible pay
Review Summary
Arizona (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 4, 2018
Little room for advancement opportunity, slow moving changes, outdated systems, no flexible work schedules, no paid time for new parents, low wages with board approved raises between 0-3.0%, salary suppression based on compensation practices, no training for new employees. Offers tuition reimbursement and internal training opportunities that are not utilized by management. Most of the people are really caring individuals who want to help support others.
Productive work enviroment/Great Benefits
Health Unit Clerk/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 25, 2018
Excellent employee benefits. Pay scale low. Great people to work with. Excellent training and on-going education. Learned many skills working at Maricopa County. High quality interaction with doctors, nurses, medical staff.
Pros
Employee benefits
Cons
Low pay
structured work environment
Mental Health Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 20, 2018
Structured work setting with clear expectations. Room for advancement and some positions offer flexible scheduling. Benefits are a plus, also state retirement.
All Staff are there to help probationers become productive citizens and keep the community safe
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  PhoenixSeptember 14, 2018
I do not think you will find a career or job that is more interesting than working for the Court in Maricopa County. No day will ever be the same for you. You will become very familiar with numerous computer prorams. There are many educational opportunities and the benefits are awesome.
Pros
Great staff (including executive staff) and benefits, always interesting work. Promotes from within.
Cons
It is stressful to work for the Court, due to the need for complete accuracy and numerous deadlines, You are required to travel to meetings and trainings, Low pay for job expectations.
Never work there if you have a choice!
Detention Officer (Former Employee) –  PhoenixAugust 31, 2018
This was the worst place I have ever worked. The environment is to toxic and the supervisors are even worse. I would never recommend this job to anyone and in fact I have turned people away from this job.
Enjoyed my time working for the county.
Legal Support Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 13, 2018
Currently Retired from the county. I had great opportunities moving to different Bureaus to learn about different cases and procedures. The best experience I had was charging different types of cases in major crimes.
Pros
Flexible work days
Cons
No yoga classes on site
A bad, soul-sucking library system.
Librarian (Current Employee) –  LibraryJuly 28, 2018
This review is aimed specifically at the libraries.

Quite simply: Maricopa County is a lousy place to be a librarian.

1) You have zero creative control. Only upper-level management (who don't work at the actual libraries) order books. You don't get to create posters or advertisements for programming. Your input on policies is absolutely meaningless. You are a cog... and the machine is vast.

2) Management is horrendous. It is a massive bureaucracy bleeding the taxpayers of this wasteland they call greater Phoenix dry, and is utterly disconnected from the realities of library work "in the trenches." Leadership within the specific libraries is far more concerned with rigorous enforcement of ridiculous rules than they are actual customer service (or a common-sense approach to HR). Employees are required to set (and then meet) three "personal goals" for improvement per year. Closed-door sit-downs are common; much time is wasted on needless posturing by mid-level managers. Oh, and cliquish culture dominates - if you didn't like grousing, vapid clusters of whispering girls in middle school, this probably isn't your cup of tea.

On a macro scale, the director and assistant director of the libraries are rarely (if ever) seen - I know people who have been working in the system for over a year and have never met either. How can a person claim to be a "library director" if they don't even know the MLS librarians (let alone the library assistants) working under them?

3) Hours are bad. It's an 8-5 schedule (many libraries elsewhere work 9-5), and several locations are open 7
  more... days a week. There are very few holidays (you get only a single day off for Christmas). Staff are expected to work one night and one weekend day per week. Prepare to kiss your social life goodbye.

4) The libraries don't use Dewey Decimal - they dropped it in favor of some screwy by-subject system that winds up doing stupid things to shelving (such as depositing biographies across the entire expanse of adult nonfiction). Moreover, for libraries that tend to serve very, VERY heavily post-retirement populations, most of whom only know Dewey (since they moved here from other places to die in this cauldron of fire), the choice is both bizarre and infuriating. You are CONSTANTLY having to go off-desk to re-educate people on how to find books.

Do yourself a favor and find a job elsewhere. If you like Arizona, move to Flagstaff. If you're absolutely dead-set on the desert, try Tuscon or Prescott. Avoid this place like the plague.
Pros
Air conditioning. Functional soda machines.
Cons
Everything else.
Employees are great ok
Animal Control Officer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 26, 2018
Working there is very stressful not enough staff to do the job required management are unqualified for the job you must really like animals to be able to work there hours are great benefits are great and also the retirement is great
Pros
Benefits and retirement
Cons
Not enough staff to do the job required
Cliquey and Alienated
Judicial Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJuly 26, 2018
The employees were cliquey and made one feel alienated. The office environment was frustrating and filled with gossip. The high point of the employees' week was a potluck. When there wasn't a potluck (which was at least twice a month), the employees consistently discussed food. The manager provides conversation and favors to those employees that have been friends the longest. There are no warnings when one has done something poor or incorrect. Breaks were a privilege and not a right. No formal training. Employees are required to complete a certain amount of hours for county classes, and required to complete points for a discounted healthcare package.
Pros
Big Desk
Cons
Cliquey Employees, Excessive Potlucks, Bad Management
a typical day at work
Clerk I (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 19, 2018
it was not a bad place to work, management is not the best, I learned and learn a lot. The best part of working there was the people I met were awesome people
Clerk of the Court (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZ 85210July 18, 2018
Always a busy place to work and lots of new learning experiences. Training is a daily experience, staff shortage tends to make for high turn overs. Pay could be better but benefits are great.
His way or highway
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 14, 2018
Working for Senior Program was hostile. It was hard go to office and know that your boss dont like you. All of the case managers get along good and we do good job with our clients. Our work was never good enough for the boss. He all about numbers and if you dont agree with his thoughts, ideas and suggestions then he dont like you. Alot of good workers left this position because of one person. Benefits are good. Underpaid with high caseloads.
Pros
Benefits, State retirement
Cons
high caseloads, no written policies or procedures for senior progam
correctional health
Correctional health tech (Former Employee) –  PHX, AZJuly 11, 2018
quick paced environment
correctional facilities that have stress
great place to learn new skills, work on old skills and learn patience and verbal de escalation skills
by far the most educational and interesting place i have had the pleasure to work
I wouldn't recommend Maricopa County to anyone
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 3, 2018
I wouldn't recommend the county to anyone. Every office I was placed in was the same.. It includes a poor manager who wasn't willing to learn how to do our jobs before judging us. If you ask questions you're told to basically keep your mouth shut and do your assigned job. HR is not supportive when it comes to anything. The county cares more about numbers than accuracy. They play favorites when it comes to their workers and give special privilages to some people but not others. They keep things secret from half the group and make the others feel alienated. The front office is the first and last place the public come in contact with yet we are all treated like we don't matter. HR and managers threaten to take things away (access to necessary areas, documents to do our jobs and even break time) to feel powerful and scare you. Nobody should go to work thinking "whats going to happen today?" yet you do. Constantly OVER WORKED AND UNDER PAID for the amount of stress you deal with daily from upper management. Not worth the stress.
Pros
Its a learning experience
Cons
Really short breaks, poor managment
Stability, Benefits,
Judicial Clerk Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 2, 2018
Data Entry 8 hours of my day - Enjoyed it! Felt productive.
Minimal phone calls
Learned about Maricopa County Court Systems
Worked with Probation Officers in the Adult Probation Dpt.
Hardest part of the job was picking up paper work at Jail
Most enjoyable part of the job was the "team" the amount of help, input, and overall training. Did not feel lost, wasn't afraid to ask questions.
Great Department to work with.
Pros
Team Work, Monday - Friday Schedule, Paid Holidays
Cons
N/a
Lots of opportunity
Disability Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 2, 2018
Working at Maricopa County gave me a great start to my career and helped me to get to where I am today. It was an excellent learning opportunity and I enjoyed working there.
Well..
Louisiana (Current Employee) –  LouisianaJune 20, 2018
What can i say. Its a government job. People either stay firever, regardless of how well they perform or leave soon for a better paying job. Theres also the risk of layoffsdue to budget issues. Sonetimes hard working people get laid off at that point and its stressful. Benefits maybe a little better than other jobs. The cool thing is that depending on your manager, you can take up to a month off vacation at once.
Brilliant Employer
Librarian's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 8, 2018
Pay very decent especially for bilingual. Managers are all wonderful. Challenging to move up in the company. Fun environment. Can be with kids but always with the publuc. Benefits are great. Staff is nice.