Marie Callender's Employee Reviews

busser, host, server, asst. manager, bartender
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Morgan Hill, CAJanuary 11, 2019
Corporate took over the Morgan Hill branch and the company went under. It was no longer a personal place to go to be entertained by the service that it started to be....
dying brand
Franchise Consultant (Current Employee) –  Temecula, CADecember 18, 2018
overall , was a great ride, but coming to an end, not sure if we will exsisit in few years or sooner

typical day starts with how to cut labor,
turnover is high so answer is there

very negative enviroment, everyone works with head down and no opinions welcomed
Pros
food is good, management eats free
Cons
no future or bonus
Productive fun and loving work environment
Cashier/Hostess/Busser/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDDecember 14, 2018
I worked at Marie Callender’s for 3 years before the only store location in my state closed down. I loved working there and all of my coworkers were like my second family. Coming into work wasn’t really even work and I genuinely enjoyed it. There were days where it was rough like any job, but i can honestly say it was a really good job. They listen to you, work with you, and try to take care of you as long as you’re taking care of them. You meet people from lots of different sides of the tracks there. People of rich and happy pasts, and others with poor sad struggle who are at Marie’s in hope for a change. If they wouldn’t have closed, I would still be working there to this day.
Pros
Good work environment, steady pay, always extra hours available
Cons
Little room for career growth
Productive and fun workplace, a nice family atmosphere
Server (Former Employee) –  Montclair, CADecember 13, 2018
Work was lively and there was always something to do. A lot of regulars loved the place and came in every day. I learned a lot in how do deal with customers and accommodate as best I could to their needs. I learned how to listen and speak with customers and properly inform them about our food and drink menu. Management was organized and very forward thinking. They were able to be flexible with changing schedules and proactive in providing constructive criticism when needed. I got along well with my coworkers. We worked well as a team in providing the best service we could and helped to support one another during big rushes. The hardest part of the job was working on Thanksgiving. The menu is simple that day, but we always had a huge inflow of customers all at the same time and they were pretty demanding. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and getting to talk with customers and hear their stories.
Marie Callender's is awesome
General Manager (Former Employee) –  West Covina, CADecember 5, 2018
I had a great career at Marie Callender"s. They offered opportunities for advancement. I made good friends there. They helped me become a more effective manager.
Pros
opportunity for advancement
Cons
locations closing
Productive, hard work.
Lead Food Server and Mixoligist (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CANovember 19, 2018
Great place , hard work, fast paced. Terrible long term medical benefits! Maries has a certain type of customer warm friendly, but knows exactly how they prefer certain things to be. Unfortunatly they are not the best company if you get injured on the job as they pretty much almost forget how hard you worked for the company.
Pros
free meal per shift
Cons
long term mecical
General Manager/Area Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Escondido, CANovember 13, 2018
Marie Callender's was my first job .
I was employed for 15 years with this company .
Promoted at 18 to Manager and then GM and ultimately Area Supervisor with responsibility over several California locations .
I left to open my own restaurant .
Pros
Work environment
Cons
Company sold to Ramada Inn
Fun place to work for
Server (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAOctober 31, 2018
Working the register, booking appointments, doing makeovers, making sales goals. I learned how to be patient with rude customers. I loved the customer relationships I built over the years. Loved doing makeup and helping with skincare.
Restaurant work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 30, 2018
Although I enjoyed the social aspects of this job, it was far more physically demanding than I was able to perform. Heavy lifting (50+lbs.) was a constant.
Pros
Good pay, social, high paced
Cons
Physically demanding
I worked in ca
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Redding, CAOctober 23, 2018
I worked at marie calendars and itwas fine i just need more hours and they could not provide that for me, im in need of a consistent job as soon as possible.
Overall Ok.
Manager, Treasury and Planning (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 21, 2018
No 401k match and the insurance is not that good. Continental breakfast twice a week and 2:30 off on Friday's are good extras. Free food at local restaurants another good perk.
Pros
Early Friday
Cons
No 401k match
Friendly people
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 9, 2018
The people I worked with at the time were super nice and took the time to train you on what you needed to know. It was relaxed and I never hated going into work
Restaurant
Busser (Former Employee) –  Camarillo, CAOctober 9, 2018
Very pleasant environment. Sometimes it got really busy than what I have expected. The demand was great but I was able to maintain my composure and succeed.
Managers, work place.
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Arcadia, CAOctober 5, 2018
Some of the managers at Marie Callender’s are very pleasant to work with like Maram. Others i have no comment on. There is no “family” feeling, yes coworkers are nice to oneanother but never do holiday parties even with every employee being required to work EVERY holiday with NO holiday pay.
Pros
50% off food.
Cons
30 min breaks, management, no holiday pay (even though required to work every holiday), no sick pay. No fun holiday parties.
Was very nice place to work.
WAITRESS (Former Employee) –  V street MercedSeptember 21, 2018
This was one of my favorite places to work. My bosses were very nice to me. the food was great and they had great desserts. the atmosphere was very calming. For the most part was a very pleasant place to work.
Pros
always were busy
Cons
hard on your feet
Wouldn't recommend unless you are under 21
Server (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 20, 2018
As a server shifts are based on seniority so there is no hope for advancement or gaining shifts based on performance, there are absolutely NO benefits (healthcare, dental) available, there is no direct deposit
Good place to start
Bartender/Cocktail Waitress/Server (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CASeptember 19, 2018
Good place to get your foot in the door in the restaurant industry. Slower paced but can get busy especially on holidays. Easy menu to remember. Tips weren't that great.
Managers are inconsistent
Server (Former Employee) –  Layton, UTSeptember 19, 2018
the managers use favoritism, very biased, and some mangers don't help in a time of need. you work with a lot of young people so there's drama 24/7. benefits are not great. Its very fast paced working environment and you can't be able to grow in this company. Managers give you random hours and do take advantage sometimes. Inconsistency in management; sometimes they'll charge u 1/2 price on food and sometimes they charge full price and sometimes they'll charge 25% off. Another example is they'll be micromanaging one moment then not giving a dam. They also promise things but never fulfill them. They don't even give breaks.
Pros
you get payed
Cons
managers
great place to work
Waitress/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CASeptember 15, 2018
good hours
was able to move up
enjoyed the customers
over time
time off was frowned upon
required to work every holiday
poor management
high turn over
Loved the job
Host / Server (Former Employee) –  Azusa, CASeptember 13, 2018
I really did enjoy the environment and the management was amazing , was not getting enough hours. If I got more hours I would go back . Loved being a server