Mariner Finance
Coronavirus update

Mariner Finance Employee Reviews

United States220 reviews
Featured review
Mariner Finance selected this as a representative review
Mariner Finance is a great place to work, the customers are great!! I have been here for many years and couldn't think of going anywhere else. We have ample vacation time and the benefits are great!!
I worked for them briefly they are a company that is often hard to differentiate. Sometimes breaks are not prioritized and there were times we were short handed. They are closed for holidays and sundays. The hours are reasonable! The benefits are reasonable and comparable to that of many other finance companies. The collections are the toughest part of the job. The claims are fairly easy to complete and the welcome calls as well. All in all I would have enjoyed the job more if the work load was spread out.
Pros
Business casual attire
Cons
No breaks and instability
Where do I start? Perhaps with the management since that is who is ultimately responsible for the nasty working conditions and culture in local branches. AVP’s play favorites with their mangers and staff. Sexism, racism, and and underlying meanness is an everyday occurrence at work. Language and attitudes are as unprofessional as their recent college grads/ managers.
Pros
You’ll gain experience for your resume that can take you to better places.
Cons
Nasty culture, mean work environment, favoritism, and nepotism.
August 6, 2020
Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We’re sorry to hear that you are disappointed with your experience at Mariner Finance. We always strive for a comfortable and motivating working environment for our team to ensure that our employees feel valued, and provide extensive online training and side by side coaching to all employees including management, so we encourage you to share any additional information regarding this situation by reaching out to us at contactus@marinerfinance.com.
Maybe another location would have made it better, but from my perspective it was a terrible place to work. My co-worker was taking almost all of the applications while I was busy waiting on 95% of the customers that came in. So needless to say he was the top loan person repeatedly. No point in soliciting because he would take them in the end. Just before I left the job we had a transfer in from another branch and all of a sudden we were dividing up apps, taking turns even. Didn’t happen like that before. Pretty sure the BM did not care for me personally, and did not care if I succeeded or not. He got his numbers from the other person in the office. I tried to speak with the AVP about it before I left, but I was not given an exit interview.
Pros
It was close to my home, short drive.
Cons
Everything. Don’t work there
The office is very unprofessional and they yell across the office instead of using IM. The Managers are immature and lie to cover up things and change numbers in loan application so they get your credit and you do not and it look like you are not meeting production, where you would be if they were not taking loans from you and you are not treated the same.
Pros
The work was great a well as the pay and hours
Cons
HIGH TURN OVER due to new management, Team of 7 (counting Branch Manager and 2 Assistant Managers), New Manager is immature and it shows, Employees treated unfairly lied on and too verbal abuse, No proper corrective actions for employee that don't follow policy
July 29, 2020
Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We’re sorry to hear that you are disappointed with your experience at Mariner Finance because we are committed to ensuring that every employee feels valued. We provide extensive training to all employees on fair lending practices and are committed to providing responsible lending solutions in a respectful, empathetic, and efficient manner. We always strive for a comfortable and motivating working environment for our team, so we encourage you to share any additional information regarding this situation by reaching out to us at contactus@marinerfinance.com.
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
Still here, they pay for a master program which is cool! I'm very early in my career in finance . And I am quickly learning alot. Not a ton of education for the people around me which is alittle frustrating.
Pros
Great people.great leadership
Cons
The pay leaves something to be desired
July 13, 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience! We’re happy to hear that you feel this way and that you’re enjoying the leadership, training, people, and educational reimbursement program here at Mariner Finance. Please continue to share your experiences with us!
The people I worked with were nice. But you were demanded to meet numbers and once you hit those numbers, they raised them. Higher management only really cares about themselves and branch manager is kind of a moron. Oh and the customers hate you because you’re supposed to call them 5 times a day if they have not paid you. So be prepared to be yelled at by customers.
Pros
It’s a job
Cons
It’s a bad job
June 18, 2020
Thank you for the feedback. Mariner Finance takes these comments very seriously, as we are committed to promoting a fair and positive working environment for all of our employees. Customer Service is one of our top priorities here at Mariner Finance. If you do have any additional information on the matter, we encourage you to please connect with us at contactus@marinerfinance.com.
Upper Management will find a way to let you go. You will dig an office out of a hole begin running good numbers and meeting goals And they will begin to find reasons to let you go. Let half of the staff go on the same day and left 2 new employees to run office by themselves. They dont care
Pros
Pto, pay
Cons
A lot
June 16, 2020
Thank you for sharing this information. Unfortunately, during this unprecedented time of the COVID pandemic, Mariner, like other businesses, has had to respond in a fiscally appropriate manner to a short term reduction in customer demand, resulting in a reduction in force. We sincerely regret that this decision impacted you, and we certainly understand your disappointment. Hopefully you know this is the only time that Mariner has ever taken such action, and we did not take it lightly. If you would like to share more information on your experience, please connect with us at contactus@marinerfinance.com.
No training - they will throw you into a position with no training and then hold you fully accountable - They will do mass firings when they can not afford to pay employees as well as look for things to fire additional employees for. They also will put holds on raises as they "see fit".
Pros
Hours, Pay, Very few weekends, Pto, benefits
Cons
Short breaks, no training, they often fire good employees because they can not afford to pay them
June 16, 2020
Thank you for the feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your work schedule and employee benefits during your time with us. Unfortunately, during this unprecedented time of the COVID pandemic, Mariner, like other businesses, has had to respond in a fiscally appropriate manner to a short term reduction in customer demand, resulting in a reduction in force. We sincerely regret that this decision impacted you, and we certainly understand your disappointment. Hopefully you know this is the only time that Mariner has ever taken such action, and we did not take it lightly. If you would like to share more information about your training experience, please connect with us at contactus@marinerfinance.com.
When I first started, It seemed great. I was great at my position, I was willing to go above and beyond because I trusted the company and saw myself being there for a very long time. Slowly, over time, I began to notice the true face of this organization. They want to prey on consumers and be as aggressive as possible, no matter the situation of their customers. From the direct words of a senior management " Our goal is to keep them here forever". They want their customer to be indebted to them as long as they possibly can with upsells, and "good deals" of lower interesting rates by obtaining car titles. Those "good deals" are ultimately not, and put the consumer in an awfully big hole that is hard to dig out of. They promise the world to their employees and fall horribly short. I was personally promised a promotion on 2 separate occasions based on my excellent numbers of up-selling and conning the customers and then... nothing. My numbers were consistently top 3 in my district, but they ignored that any promotion had been promised. The management will use and abuse you, but give you nothing in return. I know it sounds like a bitter statement, but I swear its not. This is just an honest, unbiased opinion in regards to the culture at Mariner Finance. Know that I worked at a great office with great people and genuinely enjoyed my days... Easy 9-5 but dont expect anything more and ignore the constant "need to do better" pressure they put on employees.. Beware consumers and job seekers... this company is all about its investors and its shareholders -- nothing and nobody really - more...
Pros
Easy job. Decent pay.
Cons
Company Values/ Communication
June 25, 2020
Thank you for letting us know this information. We are glad the hear that overall you enjoyed your time with us, but sorry to hear about the negative experiences. Mariner Finance takes these comments very seriously, as we are committed to maintaining a fair and comfortable work environment for all our employees. Mariner Finance provides training to all employees on fair lending practices and is committed to providing responsible lending solutions in a respectful, empathetic, and efficient manner. If you do have any additional information on the matter, we encourage you to please connect with us at contactus@marinerfinance.com as we would like to learn more on your specific situation.
Mariner finance is a bad company to work for. They micro manage there staff and give faulse promises. They are not there for there employees. They also demand a lot of people and no matter how hard you try it’s never good enough
Throughout out the course of working with Mariner. I was frond upon, over looked & underpaid. I was told on multiple occasions by management that I need a new job. Because this just wasn’t for me. That’s how they treat their employees.
Good co-workers for the most part and a great branch manager. He is very helpful and does everything to help you succeed.
There is a lot to learn but success is achievable.
Pros
Great Branch Manager
Cons
Low pay
Took BM position due to superior talk about sr. Management how much they treat their employees good. Negative" NW management does Not support You. They tell you 1 thing 1 day and change it consistently. They set you up to Fail. They Threaten your job.Disappointed of lack of integrity. Also they say No overtime in California,Yet they expect the same work completed as a Salary BM who works 10hrs a day.
Dead end if you live in at Atlanta. There are no offices in Atlanta. Only in the far outskirts. The company itself is a good company. But just learn all you can.
There is no home balance. They will work you and work you, but never give back. When things are bad in the loan business, you get poor performance calls daily & it’s the economy, not your work, but
management does not care.
Pros
Insurance is ok
Cons
No work/home balance .… they don’t care about you, they just want a body to sit in a chair & constantslly be in phone, begging customers to borrow more money.
I was hiring under false pretense, and when I started asking questions I was ridiculed and disrespected. The senior management was sleeping with the staff and their was no structure. It was made very clear if I expressed my concerns to upper(corporate) I would be unemployed. I left this company with total disbelief!!
Pros
The pay
Cons
Unsttucyured
Training was typical and too long for someone with a long term history,works for a new untrained person. Management had their heads elsewhere towards upper management. They did not know processes or the time it took to process tasks. Overal philosophy was inconsistent. They seemed to wing it with no formal policies or guidelines. Not a good experience for new or seasoned employees
This is the place for fresh out of school grads who want to earn the title of manager. You'll learn consumer finance and collections, underwriting and small business development. The pay and benefits are decent, but the organization is only dedicated to making monthly goals.
Senior and middle management is very condescending to staff....a huge lack of respect in an industry that charges maximum interest rates for unsecured loans.

It's not the best place to work, but it beats unemployment.
This is not a workplace that I would suggest for anyone to work in. The environment itself is stressful, you'll get a headache as soon as you walk through the door. There are little to no windows, everything's gray, or a different tone of beige and you guessed it, cubicles. Everywhere. A creatives worst nightmare.

Management is poor. Nobody knows anything, or they'll have an "it's not my job" attitude towards the situation. If you can't do it yourself it probably will not get done.

HR is probably one of the most unprofessional departments in the entire building aside from the IT department. They speak at you and not to you, they demand answers, but don't make you comfortable enough to speak to them when put in those types of situations.

The IT department is your basic, bland, big boys club. There are a few people that are actually willing to help and don't speak at you, or to you like you're less than. There are also people in the IT department that will literally yell over you when engaging in one on one conversation.

Your typical day is supposed to be worked in a "team like" environment, but no one wants to help each other. Crabs in a barrel mentality.

The workplace culture here is vile. Just like most work environments there's a lot of gossip going on. A LOT. If you don't like to play office politics, or play games with children, this is not the place for you.

Internal communication? What's that?

Team effort? A foreign concept.

Training? Every one knows everything, and if you don't know anything ..... SoS.

Empathetic engagement? Forget about it.

All in
 - more...
I was employed for 10 years. I was able to advance within the company and learn many things. Great place to start your financial career. You learn about collections and lending. The work life balance is poor. The support from management is also poor all depending on what supervisor you get. I have had some great upper management but unfortunately, not all.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mariner Finance. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8
2.9
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
2.3Personal Development
2.8Career Opportunities
2.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight