Mariner Finance Employee Reviews

My review and thoughts
Recovery Department (Current Employee) –  MarylandSeptember 18, 2018
You have to be in a click to survive, the best thing is leave at the end of the day. There are very few that you can trust and talk to, even if is a minute or to being told you need to be on the phone. There are other that are so loud and nothing has ever been said. I had to tell one person to lower their voice so that I could hear my customer on the phone.
Ok
Centralized Credit Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 6, 2018
it was boring but i had good experience. Management was good. i did the same thing over and over all day. got bored but listened to music. it was an ok time.
Productive and professional
Compliance Representative/ Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, MDAugust 21, 2018
Daily tasks focused on responding and reviewing credit reporting disputes. Once every few weeks we pull reports which help track and understand why we are receiving credit report disputes.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
No opportunity to
Hard to be noticed in this company
Account Representative/Collections (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCAugust 15, 2018
All this company cares about is bottom line. No overtime allowed but an unsurpassed workload is supposed to be accomplished to get senior management bonuses. Not family friendly at all even though business hours are good.
Pros
off on Sunday and most Saturdays 9am to 5pm schedule
Cons
Expectations are very unrealistic, understaffed, moral is very low
Great Company
Senior Telecom Engineer (Current Employee) –  White Marsh, MDAugust 14, 2018
Competitive and fast paced but fun environment. Collaboration between departments. Great benefits and competitive pay. No shortage of work with occasional downtime sprinkled in.
Pros
Good pay, challenging fast paced environment
Cons
Short lunches and occasional long hours
Fast paced, challenging work and camaraderie
Manager (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, MDAugust 8, 2018
This is a fast paced environment where critical thinkers can succeed! Rapid growth may have created some strain in the organization, but this company is prepared to go places!
Pros
Benefits, challenging work, ability to work independantly
Cons
This is not the best company to work for
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 24, 2018
Benefit are good and some of the people you work with are ok and the customers are good to work for, some higher management needs some help with a few things
Unrealistic goals. Pay is terrible
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  KentuckyJune 24, 2018
Fast paced. Little down time. Policies and procedures change so often its difficult to keep up. Micro managed with every part of the day. Nearly impossible to "bonus". 15 paid days off for vacation and sickness.
Pros
I love the people I work with.
Cons
Pay, Micro management, upper management
Inconsistent and stressful
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  McHenry, ILJune 19, 2018
There is the good and bad much like any job. But as of recently it has become worse. With all of the acquisitions the company is going through, and the constant realignment in management, the job stability has become very stressful. The company has taken on more than it should have with acquiring so many new companies and offices at once. I have gone through 4 sets of managers in less than a 2 year time span, and have been placed as a target branch.
Pros
Monday through Friday, Paid Time Off
Cons
Management, Company Mergers, Advancement, Raises
Cool Job
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 13, 2018
Mariner Finance was a great place to work, I just wasn't very comfortable with the loan business. Collection calls weren't bad, but soliciting money to the delinquent accounts would save the account but further in-debt the customer and I didn't agree with that portion at all.
Pros
1 hour lunches. Had lunch at your desk if wanted. could your desk feel close to home (pictures, heaters, foot rest, snack drawers.)
Cons
Putting people further in debt.

Want to know more about Mariner Finance?

Ask a question
Best Company
Service Desk Specialist (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, MDJune 11, 2018
Best company to work for no room for advancement, i have lead many projects at mariner and trained our new employees in the IT field. Providing the best customer service expirence.
A Good Company to work for!
Mortgage Broker (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 5, 2018
Mariner is family oriented company with regular employee competitions. Mariner's compensation program is based on volume of sales closed. Mariner was very aggressive in the market place and expanded it's market with several mergers during my employment period.
Pros
Kitchen Area with vending machines.
Cons
Short Brakes
Managements' only concern with the number of loans you produce
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHMay 31, 2018
Most enjoyed the customers, goals were not reachable, mid level manager was condescending and never had anything positive output, job could have been more enjoyable
Pros
Learned to process loans
Cons
Pay, being able to use vacation time
Would not work their
Internal Auditor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 30, 2018
lacked compliance review
Audit Manager is related to CEO
Company Policies are not clearly written out
Federal Laws are not followed (in regards to HIPPA and collections)
Stressful job to work at
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Shelby, NCMay 1, 2018
Company believes in advancement from with-in. Mariner does however micromanage each employee. Don't have enough employees for work load. Employees don't have enough approval authority, to even approve simple application inside guidelines
Pros
Provides room for advancement
Cons
Pay and bonus compensation doesn't match market place
Not the best place to work
Branch Manager Trainee/ Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 17, 2018
It was a requirement to try and make your sales goals by offering sub-prime loans to people with somewhat bad credit scores.

They pushed to try and up sell by getting a secured loan by have some form of collateral (car, boat, etc).

There was a few times where you could actually help someone pay off higher interest debts and actually save that person a lot of money.

Skip tracing the people that do not pay and constantly calling people for payments were the worst part of the job.
Horrible place to work
CSR (Former Employee) –  PAApril 13, 2018
Mariner Finance is a joke they tell you it's a great place to work and then they turn around and tell you how incompetent you are and how you'll never amount to anything I think they need to reevaluate the managers in their branches. The assistant manager was an idiot but they were best friends so then they double teamed me made me feel like I couldn't do anything right but was not interested in helping me to learn whatsoever. If someone told me that they were going to work for this company I would do everything in my power to make sure that they did not go to work for them
Pros
Cons
Take your pick
Stressful and underappreciated
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Butler, PAApril 4, 2018
When I started at Mariner it was a very positive and motivational place to work. Over the past year things have become very stressful with daily negative feedback. Additional daily tasks have been added and previous tasks have become more complicated and time consuming. If you are not on board with these changes the attitude given from upper management is for you to move on.
Productive and fun work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, NJMarch 11, 2018
Great atmosphere in the work place. Learned alot about finances/loans to be particular.My manager was great very helpful and positive. The most enjoyable part was to interact with people.
If you want to be treated like dirt and get paid pennies then this job is for you
Slave (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, MDFebruary 27, 2018
Low pay, expected to work hard so your managers and top execs can reap the benefits (bonuses, trips, ability to treat their employees like dirt and get away with it) Can't move up unless you are a favorite. Then they create a position for you, but post it so anyone can apply, even though they know the favorite is getting the job. Can't report anything to HR because they won't do anything and you will become a target. I finally had to quit to keep my sanity. CEO may be nice but wouldn't know. He won't talk to you unless you are important and you will only see him when he makes his rounds to say hi to everyone aka making sure everyone is at there desk working. They cut benefits/perks/Holiday parties every year but brag about how much money the company made.
Pros
Makes you realize just how good it was when you worked at McDonalds
Cons
Everything you can think of and more

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mariner Finance. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.4

2.0Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight