Mariner Finance Employee Reviews

2.6
Ratings breakdown
Unrealistic goals. Pay is terrible
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  KentuckyJune 24, 2018
Fast paced. Little down time. Policies and procedures change so often its difficult to keep up. Micro managed with every part of the day. Nearly impossible to "bonus". 15 paid days off for vacation and sickness.
Pros
I love the people I work with.
Cons
Pay, Micro management, upper management
Inconsistent and stressful
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  McHenry, ILJune 19, 2018
There is the good and bad much like any job. But as of recently it has become worse. With all of the acquisitions the company is going through, and the constant realignment in management, the job stability has become very stressful. The company has taken on more than it should have with acquiring so many new companies and offices at once. I have gone through 4 sets of managers in less than a 2 year time span, and have been placed as a target branch.
Pros
Monday through Friday, Paid Time Off
Cons
Management, Company Mergers, Advancement, Raises
Cool Job
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 13, 2018
Mariner Finance was a great place to work, I just wasn't very comfortable with the loan business. Collection calls weren't bad, but soliciting money to the delinquent accounts would save the account but further in-debt the customer and I didn't agree with that portion at all.
Pros
1 hour lunches. Had lunch at your desk if wanted. could your desk feel close to home (pictures, heaters, foot rest, snack drawers.)
Cons
Putting people further in debt.
Best Company
Service Desk Specialist (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, MDJune 11, 2018
Best company to work for no room for advancement, i have lead many projects at mariner and trained our new employees in the IT field. Providing the best customer service expirence.
A Good Company to work for!
Mortgage Broker (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 5, 2018
Mariner is family oriented company with regular employee competitions. Mariner's compensation program is based on volume of sales closed. Mariner was very aggressive in the market place and expanded it's market with several mergers during my employment period.
Pros
Kitchen Area with vending machines.
Cons
Short Brakes
Managements' only concern with the number of loans you produce
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHMay 31, 2018
Most enjoyed the customers, goals were not reachable, mid level manager was condescending and never had anything positive output, job could have been more enjoyable
Pros
Learned to process loans
Cons
Pay, being able to use vacation time
Would not work their
Internal Auditor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 30, 2018
lacked compliance review
Audit Manager is related to CEO
Company Policies are not clearly written out
Federal Laws are not followed (in regards to HIPPA and collections)
Stressful job to work at
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Shelby, NCMay 1, 2018
Company believes in advancement from with-in. Mariner does however micromanage each employee. Don't have enough employees for work load. Employees don't have enough approval authority, to even approve simple application inside guidelines
Pros
Provides room for advancement
Cons
Pay and bonus compensation doesn't match market place
Not the best place to work
Branch Manager Trainee/ Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 17, 2018
It was a requirement to try and make your sales goals by offering sub-prime loans to people with somewhat bad credit scores.

They pushed to try and up sell by getting a secured loan by have some form of collateral (car, boat, etc).

There was a few times where you could actually help someone pay off higher interest debts and actually save that person a lot of money.

Skip tracing the people that do not pay and constantly calling people for payments were the worst part of the job.
Horrible place to work
CSR (Former Employee) –  PAApril 13, 2018
Mariner Finance is a joke they tell you it's a great place to work and then they turn around and tell you how incompetent you are and how you'll never amount to anything I think they need to reevaluate the managers in their branches. The assistant manager was an idiot but they were best friends so then they double teamed me made me feel like I couldn't do anything right but was not interested in helping me to learn whatsoever. If someone told me that they were going to work for this company I would do everything in my power to make sure that they did not go to work for them
Pros
Cons
Take your pick
Stressful and underappreciated
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Butler, PAApril 4, 2018
When I started at Mariner it was a very positive and motivational place to work. Over the past year things have become very stressful with daily negative feedback. Additional daily tasks have been added and previous tasks have become more complicated and time consuming. If you are not on board with these changes the attitude given from upper management is for you to move on.
Productive and fun work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, NJMarch 11, 2018
Great atmosphere in the work place. Learned alot about finances/loans to be particular.My manager was great very helpful and positive. The most enjoyable part was to interact with people.
If you want to be treated like dirt and get paid pennies then this job is for you
Slave (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, MDFebruary 27, 2018
Low pay, expected to work hard so your managers and top execs can reap the benefits (bonuses, trips, ability to treat their employees like dirt and get away with it) Can't move up unless you are a favorite. Then they create a position for you, but post it so anyone can apply, even though they know the favorite is getting the job. Can't report anything to HR because they won't do anything and you will become a target. I finally had to quit to keep my sanity. CEO may be nice but wouldn't know. He won't talk to you unless you are important and you will only see him when he makes his rounds to say hi to everyone aka making sure everyone is at there desk working. They cut benefits/perks/Holiday parties every year but brag about how much money the company made.
Pros
Makes you realize just how good it was when you worked at McDonalds
Cons
Everything you can think of and more
Waste of your time and knowledge
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  New JerseyFebruary 27, 2018
Very Micromanaged-unrealistic goals-unexpierenced Managers. Young managers who they bring in and train “their” way. They know no different. Making pmts from customers checking accounts with no borrower approval so goals are made. They make you go on the street to collect pmts. very dangerous! Don’t come back to the office without the payment. You’ll pay. Do yourself a favor and go elsewhere. If you have morals, that is!
Pros
Not bad pay
Cons
Everything else
Overall a good first internship experience
Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 25, 2018
Wasn't given too many responsibilities, internship program wasn't really established. Despite this, I was still able to get a large amount of work experience by working with the company.
Relaxed atmosphere
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, WIFebruary 16, 2018
A typical day would be to come in log into system, process any mailed in payments, reply to and process new application, call delinquent accts. I learned how to run credit reports. Management was great. Work place culture was typical. The hardes part of the job was not being able to get any overtime.The most enjoyable part was meeting all my new clients having the weekends and every holiday off.
Pros
Worked Monday-Friday
Cons
No overtime
not the best
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, MDFebruary 12, 2018
Management's expectations are almost always impossible, you are never good enough, the pay is not worth the stress, your opinions don't matter (even though they say they do), turnover is HIGH (you're just a number to them, you are replaceable).

What I've learned working here is that if you have a lot of money you can do whatever and say whatever you want to people and get away with it.

The hardest part of the job is the stress and the unbelievably high expectations put on you.

I used to love my job and my co workers, until people started turning their backs on me when times got tough and I was unable to keep up with the work flow.

To sum it up, its a great job if you're single, don't have any bills, live with your parents and are just looking to make some money and be bossed around constantly by people who don't know your specific job.
Pros
free birthday cake every month
Cons
everything else
Don't do it!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 30, 2018
Training is trash. My father and grandfather being sick doesn't matter. The hours make no sense. No schedule flexibility. Basically a secretary. Long hours with a short break. Save yourself the time.
Pros
Decent pay.
Cons
Everything else.
Mariner is very shady and very dishonest. No value in employees
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  MissouriJanuary 26, 2018
Started off as Branch Manager with Personal Finance Company. Mariner bought us and ever since day 1 Mariner has treated employees as if they are starting a new job. I have been here for 5 years and in the eyes of Mariner I have only been here since April 1st of 2017. There are many people that have been with Personal Finance Company for over 20 years and they too are starting from day 1 with Mariner. No room for advancement. When Mariner said they were buying us they assured that no PFC branches would be closing. LIES. Several branches got the we are moving to the Mariner Finance signs a day or two after home office stated we would not be closing. Lies.....Mariners employees are rude and hateful. When we were PFC owned by Securian...we were taken care of and spoke to as if we were humans. Now a typical day at work is having a morning meeting and soliciting customers. We are interupted during the day several times replying to emails about why only 40 calls by noon. This company does micromanage which is an interpution of the day. I have learned that Mariner Finance does not value their people much less their customers. Yes the company pays their employees very well and the benefits are amazing. They say they have a promote with in policy however when myself or co workers apply for an internal position and doesnt even get an interview that to me is not good business. after 5 years of being here I am along with several other managers are looking to leave the company. Some advice to upper management. Just because you bought PFC doesnt mean that you can treat us like trash. Do not  more... keep secrets that are going to affect the lives of others. I think and many of my friends who have been with PFC for over 10 years also agree that Mariner truly does not care about their employees as we are just numbers to them. When you have to call support for help most of them are helpful but the others are very rude and not professional. I understand that businesses make decisions in the best way possible to benefit the bottom line. Some suggestions would be this...dont lie to your employees and dont keep secrets. Thats the problem us PFC people are having is the secrets and the lies that Mariner has a proven track record for. Take advice from the upper management that are still around from PFC. Mariner Finance are full of lies and deceptive people who think they are better than the ones who they buy.  less
Pros
They pay well. Good health care benefits
Cons
Micro-managers, lies, being sneaky, no clear answers on anything
Na
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  NJJanuary 23, 2018
Mariner finance is not the best company to work for, the treatment of the employees is poor at best and upper mgmt seems not to care for its employees.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mariner Finance. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight