Markel Corporation Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Fun workplace
Underwriter Technician (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXJune 18, 2018
My experience working at Markel was good. I learned a new line of business that I wasn't familiar with. My only reason for leaving was due to compensation.
Pros
Lunch outings
Cons
Compensation
Manager, Medical Underwriting (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 11, 2018
Collaborative work environment. Intelligent and motivated workforce. People lack a specific agenda and would prefer to work together to come up with a solution.
Pros
decent work life balance
Cons
Direction of healthcare was questionable
Under-staffed
Underwriting Assistant (Current Employee) –  TexasMay 19, 2018
While the people are friendly and we are not micromanaged, the company spends too much time trying to find employees who are the "right fit" while meanwhile we are incredibly under-staffed, and anyone would be better than no one. "Support staff" don't have a voice in anything.
Growing Pains
SENIOR UNDERWRITER - MARINE (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 1, 2018
Successful regional family owned company thrust onto Forturne 500 list, now at tug-of-war with how to proceed . . . maintain the "folksy" Style of a smaller company operating in the wholesale arena but continue to grow in the retail arena. Management unsure of who their target markets should be and are confused with how best to proceed into the future.
Pros
Good People
Cons
Pay scales which may work in home office are totally inadequate in Northeast and West Coast regions.
Very stressful to produce.
Policy Technician (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAApril 16, 2018
I almost felt like a robot working there. Production production production was all they cared about. I loved the people there but no flexibility & no advancement opportunitues made me look elsewhere.
Pros
Good people
Cons
No flexibility or advancement
Fun workplace
Submission Technician (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 11, 2018
Engaging and productive tmosphere; active learning environment. Multiple opportunities for development. Workplace culture is very welcoming and friendly.
Depends on your Branch
Employee (Former Employee) –  Red Bank, NJMarch 19, 2018
Each local business branch has a unique personality and subset of expertise. Generally, corporate management is well balanced providing both compassion as well as the motivation to succeed. Depending on the local branch, office politics could be a major part of your every day.
Pros
Large Corporate Culture
Cons
Office Politics
unstable atmosphere
Underwriter/Diredtor (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMarch 15, 2018
Good pay and benefits, but unethical treatment of employees
HEAVY work load, unstable atmosphere, too many changes in management, employees who gripe rewarded, while people who work had with out complaining are penalized.
benefits
Cons
heavy work load
Fast Paced and Versatile
Senior Project Manager Software Development (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAFebruary 2, 2018
Markel was a rapidly evolving company, fast paced and demanding environment. I found it exciting and energetic, and the team was very focused on success. They were warm, welcoming and driven to succeed.
Productive and fun place to work.
Packer/Picker/Inspector/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PAJanuary 24, 2018
Everyone gets along at markel corporation. Management is good and a great work environment. Management gives you your schedule and don’t hover over you .
Pros
Safe environment friendly management
Cons
Not enough pay
Competitive and fast paced work environment
Associate Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Glen Allen, VADecember 31, 2017
While working for Markel, I have been given opportunities to learn different areas of the company. I have made great friends and had some excellent mentors. Although some parts of the job were more challenging than others, I enjoyed the challenge. The hardest part for me is the lack of advancement in my career. The most enjoyable part is learning to use different skill sets within the various positions.
Training horrible
Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 19, 2017
The trainings is horrible. I didn’t get trained properly. Was told they were going to figure out a different way to train but never did. When put on a new task was expected to make 80% of your quota. If you do less your frowned on.
Pros
Free coffee and tea
Cons
Training
Solid Organization
Transportation Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 21, 2017
The transportation market if exciting and requires a high level of the transportation business. Attention to detail is critical and the company needs to have a very knowledge claims unit who understands this line of business
Good company culture
LEGAL AUDITOR (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 2, 2017
Business casual environment with a strong commitment to communities and a pursuit of excellence. Good benefits, stock, PTO, but low on the salary scale. Difficult to advance in mid-level non-management position.
Pros
Community involvement
Cons
Salary, organizational advancement
Great company with a few bad eggs.
Associate Vice President (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VANovember 2, 2017
The hardest part of my job, before I left, was my manager. He was unwilling to deviate from his own ideas, and did not value the contributions of my team.
Critical Incident Mgmt, Problem Mgmt, Change Mgmt (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 19, 2017
Work day is from 6am to 2:30 pm. Markel assisted me with getting my ITIL V3 certification.

Management is fair as long as you get your work done.

The workplace culture is good.

The hardest part of the job is the constant change, but it is not overwhelming.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with good people.
Intentional, Quality Company
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 18, 2017
I've worked in non-profit, manufacturing, and corporate settings, yet of all of the companies that I have worked for, Markel has the most solid people, working conditions, benefits, and work/life balance that I have experienced.

The company IS intentional about treating employees well and doing whatever they can to build/grow employees for the mutual best interest of the employee and the company.
Pros
Work/life balance, people/culture, benefits, stability
Cons
Constant change; not quick to take inovation risks
Markel will hire and advance you when they need you , lay off or fire you when they figure a way to not need you.
Submission Technician (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VASeptember 15, 2017
Everyone seems nice , I saw them lay off entire departments when a temporary worker , Then I was made permanent right after they left,
My department had more work than it could handle. I was there for 7 years I am proud of my evaluations and was paid top bonuses every year. Then some processes were streamlined, Which I understand, but I was suddenly transferred. I was probably the highest paid and most senior in the new group. I was badgered and over scrutinized, not trained, and unjustly terminated.
Pros
Good pay and benifits
Cons
all about the bottom line will fire or lay-off rapidly no job security
Temporary position. Employees were friendly
Temporary Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Red Bank, NJ 07701September 7, 2017
Employees were friendly and considerate.
Work environment was clean and well organized.
Interaction with vendors and management was pleasant.
Department team was knowledgeable and ready to assist
Pros
Kind coworkers
Cons
Temporary position
Fast Pace environment, great group of people
Policy Technician (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen ,VAAugust 29, 2017
Its a very fast pace environment, stressful at times but you stay busy. The management could use some help with how to encourage people and their goals.