Markel Corporation Employee Reviews

Customer Service Rep
CSR II (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVMarch 27, 2019
I was employed for 6 1/2 years. I applied for several positions in other departments, but the managers relatives and friends were hired. My manager asked 1 rep to work 10 hours overtime every week, never asked if anyone else wanted overtime.
I had rotator cuff surgery and was on short term disability, but was terminated by email with a 2 day notice, due to business needs! My
return date was 3 weeks after my termination.

I would not refer anyone to this company. The pay is low and management is not the best.

They used to provide breakfast or lunch once a month, but stopped. Bonuses will end also.
benefits
Cons
stressful, low pay, chance for advancement if you know a manager
New Managment
ASSOCIATE DESKTOP OPERATIONS ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAMarch 13, 2019
They are changing how things are done around here in the IT department and some of us are getting laid off. Unfortunately I am one of the people losing his job. I will say they are giving us a very good severance package and making sure we are well taken care of while we look for something new.
Pros
Good managment and great co-workers
Cons
getting laid off after 18 years
Company
Receptionist Reliever (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAFebruary 21, 2019
It’s a great company to work for. Good people and a relaxed environment, no pressure from upper management. Great benefits. Great bonuses. Good hours.
Easy job, but no future
Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAJanuary 4, 2019
Markel struggles to find its place as a Fortune 500 company. It speaks of diversity, but has terrible parental paid leave programs, and the C-suite consists solely of white men. Work hard and try to innovate or don't work hard, you'll keep your job either way. If you just need a paycheck and don't care about personal or professional development, this is for you. Tenure is what is valued above all else, not potential. Chances for promotion are only available for the lucky few who know the "right" people.
Pros
beer trucks, picnics, etc.
Cons
the people who have opportunities are hand picked; this is not a meritocracy
Do not recommend Markel Corp
Technical Lead - Financial Systems (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VADecember 6, 2018
Would not recommend working at Markel. Lousy management mainly focused themselves. Work / Life balance is non-existent. All of IT has been outsourced. Constantly having to worry that your job may be eliminated.
Great Place, Excellent People
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glen Allen, VANovember 28, 2018
Love working here!! The people are awesome, and you feel like everyone is family. The pay could be a bit better for the amount of work that you do, but other than that, good company to work for.
Poor HR
Na (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 16, 2018
They take forever for you to hear from them and they will lie straight to you face. Also when they say your great doing a good job they will cut you down.
Pros
Na
Cons
Hr
Company Business Plan
VP of Operations (Current Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PAOctober 5, 2018
Lacked serious commitment to Business Plan. Resource investment required to support growth initiatives was not supported.

Operational resources at shop floor level were very experienced, and were committed to working in a team environment.
Clean environment, respectful people, family friendly
Senior Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CASeptember 5, 2018
I worked in a fast paste, working with deadlines each week. I was in charge of the year end financial statement for Schedule F, worked closely with upper management to complete this task. I had great supervisor, worked well with other priers, friendly environment. I had opportunity to train new employees. We had flexible hours and casual Fridays.
Pros
Great summer picnics, best Christmas parties
okay
Premium Auditor (Current Employee) –  Glen Allen, VASeptember 4, 2018
Nice work place, great people, low pay. Bonuses are great. Nice work environment. Close to restaurants, more room for job opportunities. Christmas parties!
Markel has a commitment to success.
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 28, 2018
Markel believes in hard work, and offers a full benefit package that includes annual Incentive Compensation, Employee Stock Purchanse/Bonus Plan, and other benefit services.
great place to work
Associate Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAAugust 27, 2018
family friendly and the Markel Style is something that I live by still today. They have great values and I would recommend anyone to work at Markel Corp
Productive family type environment
Cybersecurity Strategy and Implementations Lead (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 10, 2018
Great company to work for. Excellent benefits and productive atmosphere. Salary was competitive and bonus structure is good. Fortune 500 company with a family run business feel
Great people
Sr. Underwriting Support Specialists (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXAugust 7, 2018
Awesome team of great friendly people. A company that encourages development and growth. Compensation is not always adequate; however, the bonus structure helps.
Work From Home
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 23, 2018
Markel has made available a VDI system that allows for work at home. The VDI is applicable for both company net books and personal computers. This is a great for Markel employees with families. Working from home is at the discretion of individual departments but is seen as one of the benefits of working at Markel.
Pros
Work from Home
Great job, poor mamagment. For a manager to tell you theres no one on the floor that knows even half of what I know, why would they hate you so much
Claims Associate (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAJuly 9, 2018
I just don't understand how I come in everyday, hardly ever leave my desk, eat through my lunch where I'm given an hour but am made to put down that I at least took 30 minutes but somehow someone manages to find fault in someone that does absolutely nothing to anyone. I earned everything that I worked so hard for at this company and did this because I wanted to word my way up that ladder to success as my dream to become an Examiner was at my finger tips. I had many Managers who would and will still write a reference for me on behalf of the kind of person and job I do. How do some Managers get away with a family member working under them when the company policy doesn't allow it because of it being unfair when it comes to raises and bonuses? Well, this Managers daughter-in-law does and therefore something should be done about that. That's a fact.
Pros
I give my job 150%
Cons
Puttting a Supervisor in a position over 8 different systems, she has to reach out to the Technicians
Fun workplace
Underwriter Technician (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXJune 18, 2018
My experience working at Markel was good. I learned a new line of business that I wasn't familiar with. My only reason for leaving was due to compensation.
Pros
Lunch outings
Cons
Compensation
Manager, Medical Underwriting (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 11, 2018
Collaborative work environment. Intelligent and motivated workforce. People lack a specific agenda and would prefer to work together to come up with a solution.
Pros
decent work life balance
Cons
Direction of healthcare was questionable
Under-staffed
Underwriting Assistant (Current Employee) –  TexasMay 19, 2018
While the people are friendly and we are not micromanaged, the company spends too much time trying to find employees who are the "right fit" while meanwhile we are incredibly under-staffed, and anyone would be better than no one. "Support staff" don't have a voice in anything.
Growing Pains
SENIOR UNDERWRITER - MARINE (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 1, 2018
Successful regional family owned company thrust onto Forturne 500 list, now at tug-of-war with how to proceed . . . maintain the "folksy" Style of a smaller company operating in the wholesale arena but continue to grow in the retail arena. Management unsure of who their target markets should be and are confused with how best to proceed into the future.
Pros
Good People
Cons
Pay scales which may work in home office are totally inadequate in Northeast and West Coast regions.