Marketo Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Not what it once was
Engineering (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CAMay 12, 2018
Many talented people who are working very hard. Many people left after the acquisition by Vista and culture changed. Vista brought some weird rules when it comes to hiring.
June 11, 2018

Thanks for your insight. We appreciate our hard working team members and are glad to see you recognize their hard work as well. Change and growth can be challenging, but we value the feedback of how it impacts our people. Our doors are always open to listen.

Poor Culture
ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAMay 9, 2018
Marketos culture is based on fear and micro managing. They put their employees last. Marketo does not have a positive moral, and the turn over is non stop.
Living the Purple Life
Senior Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 5, 2018
Great company overall, but management has some maturing to do. Avoid the politics and focus on the customers. Upper management should see Support as a value add, and not an operations cost.
Pros
Fun Culture, Industry Leader, Great at Advancing your Career Externally
Cons
Poor Management, Internal Politics, Bought by Equity Firm
Productive but very bureaucratic manager
QA Automation Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 2, 2018
Micromanaging daily jobs and asking for statuses at the end of the day. Procrastinate in replying to client calls and response to their issues. Very good start up culture.
Been here a long time
Billing Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CAApril 16, 2018
It's been a long slog but it's time to move on. I've seen the company from pre IPO through going public and then back to private after an equity acquisition. No regrets though. Time for new challenges. I appreciate all that Marketo has provided.
Talented team members
Senior Business Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 2, 2018
Ability to work with extremely smart individuals. challenging and ever changing projects and clients. Work life balance is difficult and the remote work environment can feel isolating.
Growing company, with the usual growing pains
Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 29, 2018
Typical day in Support is very busy. Managers are hands off if you are performing well, which is good, but could also use more feedback on how well you are performing. Workers frequently stay late to get work done, and management doesn't notice or seem to care. The culture is good, the company is growing and is managed well. Staffing frequently fails to account for growth, leaving departments understaffed to handle the work load. Benefits are very good.
February 15, 2018

Thank you for sharing what it’s like to be a technical support engineer on our team in Portland. We appreciate your feedback, and we encourage you to talk with your manager and/or HR so we can partner to address your concerns. We assure you that we are doing our best to accommodate and support our employees at all levels as we continue to grow as a company.

Great company that is experiencing a ton of growth
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 27, 2017
I am an entry-level employee and this is a great company for a young professional like myself. Since Marketo's acquisition by Vista, the company has experienced a ton of growth, which is opening up new positions for myself and my peers to grow in to. This new energy is also creating a vibrant "start-up-ish" feel in the company, despite being a multi-million dollar tech giant well on it's way to becoming a billion dollar company.
February 15, 2018

Thanks for writing a review about what it’s like to be a recruiter on our Denver team! We’re glad to hear you appreciate our company culture and the career growth opportunities we offer. We love hearing feedback from each member of our team. Keep up the great work!

Culture of passive aggressive behavior with lack of direction
PM (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 15, 2017
Employees leaving in droves after only being there for a few months. Recruiters promise tons of benefits, and none end up being true. The San Mateo office is threatened by the new offices leading to information hoarding, making it hard to do your job. Management is clueless and in their senior roles because they have been there the longest. Lack of procedure is rampant. If you’re entry level, it’s a decent fit, but if you have been in the industry, the incompetency and lack of skill is apparent and frustrating.
Pros
Entry level employment, food
Cons
Siloed, passive aggressive behavior, lack of direction
February 15, 2018

We appreciate you sharing your perspective. We are sorry to hear Marketo was not a fit for you. We have read your feedback regarding management and benefits and will share your comments with the appropriate teams. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Upbeat team and location with a few growing pains
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 12, 2017
The company has been going through a couple changes over the past year; From an acquisition by Vista Equity Partners to a turnover of Management to growing a new office in Denver.

With a lot of changes, there are hiccups, but ultimately, it is a company focused on building an incredible organization with smart and intuitive people that will push the business forward.

I've enjoyed thew 7 months I have been with the organization, but I do see some of the challenges we face.

I think the biggest takeaway would be show up everyday ready to tackle a new challenge and seize the opportunities.
Pros
Food, drinks, great coworkers, beautiful views
Cons
New management
February 15, 2018

Thank you for taking time to write about what it’s like to be a recruiter on our team in Denver. We are glad to hear you appreciate our employees and location. We agree that our employees are one of our best assets—thanks for all that you do!

In transition
Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CADecember 3, 2017
Since they were bought out the turnover has been incredible, no knowledge of procedures and management is too weak to step on and recognize/resolve the gaps. Results in a "take that hill" mentality around there which is frustrating and disheartening for new employees.

They get fed a bill of goods about the great company, culture and future that they're buying into, but the reality is that it's quite the opposite and the holding company, Vista, is just propping this place up as fast as possible, posturing for a sale. New staff is just window dressing or staging artifacts to sell. Meanwhile benefits are being pared down, and I have serious doubts about that promised "bonus payout".

Very top heavy and hierarchical, with information about what impacts us kept very close to their vest, creating a culture of mistrust and anxiety. Not quite how it was advertised. Typical these days.
Pros
Some food, lot's of rah rah.
Cons
All optics, not much substance.
February 15, 2018

We understand change can be difficult. We appreciate your feedback and we encourage you to talk with your manager and/or HR so we can partner to address your concerns. We assure you that we are doing our best to accommodate our employees at all levels as we continue to grow as a company.

Terrible company with horrible management
Senior Technical Project Manager (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CANovember 20, 2017
This company is going downhill really really fast. All the management wants to do is get bought by somebody really soon. Everyone is super stressed, over worked and folks are leaving in drove.

If you are smart, just leave as quickly as possible.
January 2, 2018

We’re sorry to see that you didn’t have a positive experience on our team in San Mateo, CA. We reassure you that we are doing our best to accommodate our employees at all levels as we continue to grow as a company.

Too many people leaving
G&A (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CAAugust 31, 2017
People are leaving left and right. That is demoralizing for new and long term employees. Work life balance is impossible to maintain while being short staffed, not to mention the knowledge base is gone making it very difficult to 'learn' the business. It's hard to speak to the quality of management because everyone is new.

The company tries to keep the culture friendly and light. There is lots of food, they have group events, it really depends on which department you land.
Growth, Fun, Challenge
ASC (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 28, 2017
Overall, my time at Marketo has been wonderful. Exponential growth, great people, good pay, and the opportunity to contribute to projects/process. The progress can be taxing at times, but the result is very rewarding. I'm proud of what I have personally accomplished and grateful for the opportunity "to matter".

With a new executive leadership team and vision focused on the future, there is consistent change that stimulates newer employees, but seems to frustrate some long-term employees. Being the industry leader certainly helps.
Pros
industry leader, fair comp, fun culture, growth
Cons
uncertainty, stress of new vs old way of doing things
Good Company
SENIOR IT ADMINISTRATOR (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJuly 3, 2017
Great company to work at. Unfortunately it seems they are starting to move all key positions and staff to Denver (minimizing San Mateo branch). Would probably need to either move with the company or find another job elsewhere if you want to remain in the bay.
a 10 year old start-up
Sr. Program Manager - Global Sales Enablement (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CAMay 24, 2017
I normally have a 10-12 hour working day, and I have to commute ~1 hour each way. In addition much of my time is spent in meetings trying desperately to understand what is going on and what the direction of the company is. There has been a complete reshuffle of the entire eStaff in the past 6 months, with no signs of stopping.

This makes for a scary work environment
Transition from Public to Private has been a little rough
Tech Lead, Elite Team (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CAMay 20, 2017
The company has been really good to me. I hate giving it such a low rating, but this last year has been hard.

Essentially the San Mateo Headquarters are being left to dry up on the vine for the Support Organization. I need to move on.

The culture has changed as employee's have moved on and it my time to explore the market and see if there is another place for me to land.
Work hard, Play hard
ASSOCIATE TECHNICAL SUPPORT ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 13, 2017
The job itself is stressful, but the people are supportive and they reward hard work. They provide awards, company lunches, and outings. They do have a ping pong table.
Pros
free lunches, hard work rewarded
Cons
job is stressful
Great
Contract Executive Assistant to SVP (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CADecember 18, 2016
Great place to work at! Nice friendly environment, with catering and free food. People are very smart and friendly and easy to work with. Very flexible work life balance.
No clear direction
Principal User Experience Designer (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJuly 25, 2016
Too cowboy and too much personality versus professionalism. One day we were working on one thing and the next day a completely different direction.
Pros
Some great people
Cons
Some terrible, unprofessional folks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marketo. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

2.5Fairygodboss Score

0%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

0%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss