Marklund Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Don’t get comfortable
PSP (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILMay 26, 2018
Dont get comfortable working at Marklund because you will soon find out how unprofessional working there is. I worked at the Elgin location. Training is ok. The work load is heavy. They expect too much of you and your body will hurt afterwards. The pay is too little for what they put you through. Everyone gossips like a highschool and the management there dont know how to resolve any problems correctly. Nobody cares about your concerns or comments. Its all a big mess. As far as the clients, they are great. I loved the clients but the staff is what made me leave.
Pros
Clients you look after
Cons
Management, staff, hours, pay
Community Service
Community Service Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Wood Dale, ILNovember 12, 2017
It is a generous resale store that gives a lot back to children who need it. You do not get paid for this job, its community service. The store has recently closed down, I am not sure if there are others around.
Great company to work for!
Therapeutic Activity Aide / CNA (Former Employee) –  Geneva, ILOctober 3, 2017
If I didn't have to relocate I would still be with Markland. Great staff. I really liked how the whole company ran. I always felt appreciated. Enjoyed with the clients,always had what we need for them. It was great to take clients into the community and they really seemed to have a great time as well!
Pros
great management team
Cons
short breaks
Horrible place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  GenevaJuly 25, 2017
Upper Management non-caring, they put on a good show. I have worked here for years, I stay for the clients.
Money does not go to clients CEO has spend, spend attitude. Looks are important clients and staff are not.
Administrator is a nightmare. The place has gone downhill over the last 2 years, very dirty, people have left. If you want to move up it's who you know not how much and how hard you work. If you say anything they will fire you, it never used to be this way until new CEO took over, everyone is afraid.
They are always short staffed and now they have a new building, they can't take care of the clients they have.
If they receive a bad review they have office staff create good reviews. I'm sure you will see them shortly.
Read the run review, it's truthful.
Pros
Clients
Cons
See review
productive and fun work place with the clients
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Geneva, ILJune 4, 2017
I come in at 7 pm and I have to look at the assignment work sheet to see what group I'm going to be working with for the night then I start giving my clients their snack and then when I'm all done with that I start to put clients down who are on clouds. Then I start to do the baths to the clients that I'm assign to give baths too.
Pros
there is down time
Cons
uncooperative clients
Truly love working here
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Geneva, ILApril 4, 2017
I have been with Marklund for several years. Unlike any facility I have ever been to/worked at. Marklund sets the bar!! The clients are amazing and the staff works as a team to make everyday life possible. It is hard work, but the smiles are always contagious, I go home every day feeling very rewarded by the work that I do. The organization as a whole is always striving to bring in more funding to support the clients and the staff that care for them.

As with any organization, you can't always make everyone happy and there will be people who complain, but at the end of the day it is about the clients that we serve. Staffing has greatly improved and management is good.
Pros
Clients, Excellent Benefits, Fun Work Environment
Cons
None, I love coming to work every day
Great place to work!
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  GeneavaMarch 31, 2017
I have been working as a CNA for a very long time. Everybody works extremely hard to make sure our Clients have what they need.
We always work as a team, and it is a very friendly work environment. They also give us a set schedule. Which is nice if your making plans cause you know the days your on and never changes.

The best part of my day is helping our clients be the best they can be, and provide them with love and care they deserve. They make my day everyday!!! I love leaving work knowing I made a difference in the lives we serve.
If you love making a difference in peoples lives then this would be the place to be!!
Pros
Set Schedule
Amazing work environment
Social Services Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Geneva, ILMarch 30, 2017
This organization cares so deeply for their clients. They go to work every day and do their best to make every day life possible for the individuals that reside at Marklund and attend from the community. Admin is always positive, hands on, and looking for ways to improve services for the clients. Marklund is a team, a family, and they work together to make life incredible for the clients. The benefits are great, and all staff go through an extensive training so that they feel comfortable when they are working with the clients.
Great higher management staff
CNA (Current Employee) –  Bloomingdale, ILNovember 11, 2016
Very understanding of personal obligations and very accommodating. Genuinely interested in growth of staff and retention of staff. Very challenging yet rewarding profession and field/organization to work for. Can be a very physical job and lots of paperwork, but worth every moment of it.
Pros
Paid lunches
Cons
Lunch not guaranteed
is ok
Nurse Manager, Staff Nurse, In House Registry RN (Current Employee) –  Geneva, ILAugust 12, 2016
coworkers nice, its ok. most people stay there for the clients, not the management style.
management changes, staff turnover.
its a hard environment to work in.
Short staffed nightmare
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Geneva, ILApril 20, 2016
Run. Don't waist your time, they are so short staffed. It all happened after a very obviously bad decision to change cnas to 12 hour shifts. Now everyone is overworked, under appreciated, underpaid, and looking for different work. So many good cnas left or got fired after the change. The clients are suffering. Unless state is there, the clients are losing out
Pros
The clients
Cons
Short staffed
Family oriented organization
Assistant Director of Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Geneva, ILFebruary 2, 2016
There was never a day like another at Marklund. I learned many things that now allow my to have a solid work experience. Management was good, except for newer managers. Majority of my co-workers were great and very devoted to the organization. I really disliked terminating employees. My favorite part interacting with employees.
Pros
Employee recognition
Cons
Compensation, newer upper management
It's changed HORRIBLY
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Geneva, ILFebruary 2, 2016
I first started last year and the pay ($13), bonus (12 free hours every paycheck), and hours (8 hour shifts) were EXCELLENT. I loved my job and could see myself working here for a very long time, but it all quickly changed. They have a new administrator/management who increased work hours (12 hour shifts) and cut our pay ($11.50) and bonus. So basically everyone is being overworked for less benefits. We have to work 12 hour shifts and my body is so exhausted afterwards that I need a whole day to recover. So many people have quit that they are short staffed almost every day/night. The employees that are currently there are being overworked because there is no one there helping them. They are so desperately in need of CNAs now that they are offering a $500 sign on bonus which you don't even receive until after you have been working there for SIX MONTHS. I doubt anyone in their right mind would stay there that long. The whole situation is very sad for the clients because they are not getting the care they deserve and it is all because of the negative changes their company implemented against the CNAs.
Pros
None anymore
Cons
CEO/Administrator does not care about employees
Postive Environment
Developmental Instructor (Former Employee) –  Bloomingdale, ILNovember 16, 2015
Great environment to work in. A rewarding job, that continues to give back. Teamwork defines the quality of service provided.
Inspiring work
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Genveva Il.September 15, 2015
Maintenance of various facilities, the pay was poor, it was basically charitie work. It helped me reconfirm my maintenance skill set I have developed over my life time.
Pros
Helping people in need.
Cons
Low pay
Best Job Ever
Certified Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Geneva, ILSeptember 4, 2015
Marklund is a great place to work. All the staff is very friendly and become like family. Flexible shifts. Great training and experience for Nursing students. Best clients ever!
Marklund has great teamwork and flexible scheduling.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Geneva, ILSeptember 23, 2014
A typical day at work starts with a report from the Nurse regarding the status of our clients. Then I spend the rest of the shift assisting clients with ADLs, charting, and other tasks such as making sure the client's equipment is clean.

At Marklund, I have strengthened my teamwork and organizational skills, as well as learned to be more patient, perseverant, compassionate.

My co-workers are friendly and helpful. We do our work as a team, and accomplish more that way.

The hardest part of the job is staying awake. I usually work nights.

The most enjoyable part is taking care of my clients, and seeing them healthy and happy.
Fun Place to work
CNA/Disabled Service Person (Current Employee) –  Geneva, ILAugust 20, 2014
Great Job and wonderful professional experience. I can use the experiences from here to advance in my career path.
Pros
overtime
Amazing place
Volunteered time to assist clients (Former Employee) –  Geneva, ILFebruary 21, 2013
I have to say that the best part of this job was that i was able to interact and help with the clients.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marklund. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight