Marsh & McLennan Companies Employee Reviews

Culture has changed over the years
Client Advisor (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 16, 2018
After almost 12 years there, all I can say is that colleagues are the only good thing left. Everything else is going down. The culture working there is demoralizing. Employees feel that cannot have an opinion or they might find themselves in unemployment line soon. They expect too much and give so little.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
This space is not big enough.
Bureaucracy can be a bit stifling but not a bad place to work
Wintel Server Operations (Former Employee) –  Southlake, TXMay 11, 2018
My biggest issue with the company was, at least from my perspective that a lot of the technology "stacks" were not working well together. I remember having difficulties getting their storage teams to help us out on several occasions. Not to say that their storage team was bad, it seemed they knew what they were doing, but they weren't always really helpful. I had similar issues with other technology groups, we in the Windows team would have issues we'd need to troubleshoot, try and bring in another group to assist and a common reaction was "Not our problem" We were always able to overcome these roadblocks, but it was aggravating at times to deal with.

Very bureaucratically bound, a LOT of policies and procedures for everything, very little room for applying individual solutions as needed. I can see the need for that at such a large company though.

Other than that, the company was pretty good to work for. I enjoyed my team and the work was certainly challenging. It was easy to achieve a good work / life balance, I didn't often need to work very much OT. Management was very distant and more or less let us do our jobs without interference.
Benefits Company
Recruiting Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 10, 2018
expert in their market, large company with good benefits, had a good group of recruiters to work with in both the seattle and dallas office. leader in their industry
Rigid Environment
Risk Analyst - Placement Representative (Former Employee) –  ChciagoMay 10, 2018
I started my professionally career here and left because there was not a culture built around continuing growth for a young professional. Where I was at in my career I needed exposure and was hungry to learn. I received a desk and reviewed policies with limited supervision, never truly being taught what I was doing. (my "training" was a week of me in a room learning the system from team members that were appointed to me.) I was fresh out of college, MART meant nothing to me and knew nothing more after my training. What Marsh lacks is leadership, and a vision to work as a team and successful. Far too much red tape, and rigidness to the company. They preach nimbleness but the company is slow to react. If you're looking to truly learn and get into growth as a business professional I would steer clear. If you have a resume that boasts 10+ years experience in the industry, I think it can certainly be a home.
Pros
Pay and Benefits/job security
Cons
Horrible management team at my location.
Good
Participant Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Vernon Hills, ILMay 8, 2018
Good job but lacks opportunity.
It is a good learning experience.
I would not recommend this job. There is more options available out there.
Pay was ok. Commute was the only down side to this job.
good
Outbound Shipper and Mail Services (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJMay 6, 2018
job duties ok but low hours. People and clients are nice to me. The job duties is fast pace. Excellent cafeteria and workers nice. Easy work with people and staff members
Pros
lunches
Cons
break
Challenging and Rewarding Work Environment
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Urbandale, IAMay 5, 2018
This is a good company for people with a strong work ethic who want to advance their careers. The work is challenging and rewarding. Management is supportive and cares about your career advancement. There's lots of opportunities here. It's one of those places where you will get out what you put in.
Pros
Good benefits, pay
Productive, professional and fun
Sales- Middle Market Practices (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 3, 2018
Highly stressful sales environment but conducive to success and progress. Good team work, very dedicated and professional. Good systems and analytics.
VP of Employer Health Benefits (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 25, 2018
Was very supportive with opportunities. Worked remote with office support. Training was always available. Was kept informed by management of any upcoming changes within the Company.
Pros
Overall was great place of employment
Customer Service
Customer Service Rep II (Former Employee) –  Urbandale, IAApril 24, 2018
It was a typical customer service environment. It was fun, and they did fun motivational activities. I just did not like being tied to a phone all day. This was an in between job for
High stress, competitive environment
Talent Acquisition Consultant (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYApril 21, 2018
MMC has incredibly competitive pay and benefit structure but the environment was stressful and very "dog eat dog". At times it felt like you were in the Big Brother House of corporate America.
Nice Place to Work
Oracle Financials Functional Lead (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJApril 19, 2018
Good Work Culture and Competitive approach in all aspects of work. Professional and passionate colleagues with adequate support and kindly nature. If I get chance work again here.
lack of communication. Not enough job advancement
Life and Health Representative (Former Employee) –  Urbandale, IAApril 12, 2018
It was a hard job being hired and told that your job is not required to cross sale and that would eventually play a big role in your job. It was amazing helping families during difficult times.
Great Company
Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Urbandale, IAApril 12, 2018
Management is spotty, there were several good managers there, there were also several bad managers. Unfortunately I worked for a bad manager at the end of my time there. Boss was lazy, back stabbing, and had no business being a manager, she didn't know what 1/2 the department did and what she did know she pawned off on underlings and took the credit for others work. She spent her days shopping on line, coming in late, taking long lunches and leaving early. She played favorite and if you were one of her "friends" you could do what ever you wanted no questions asked.
Pros
Great benefits, pay is ok, could be better lots of perks for working for them.
Cons
luck of the draw on good or bad managers
productive, stressful
Insurance Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 6, 2018
This was a office job that I processed medical claims. There were lots of goals, and deadlines. Ended up staying there 5 years, in that time they ended up outsourcing most of my coworkers jobs to India. So sad.
Pros
Not many
Cons
Lot's of pressure and deadlines.
Excity and fast paced
Technology (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 28, 2018
Exciting global environment with lots of technology. Strong personal ownership and accountability. Constantly innovating and evolving technology services.
The Company needs leveling
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  FloridaMarch 28, 2018
Too top heavy, no raises for clerical workers. Thousands of SVPs, VPs, MDs.

Marsh has good talent, but they should pay them. Many people leave from most offices in the Southeast to get more money outside.
Professional
Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Hyde Park, NYMarch 21, 2018
This was a very professional office. It was mostly a call center, but it never felt like it. it was very relaxed even though we did get our work done. The phones went on at 9AM and shut off promptly at 5PM.
Work
Assistant Vice President, Placement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 21, 2018
A typical day was obtaining quotes from carriers, reviewing the coverage lines and completing a proposal for the clients.

Reviewing polices and sending them out.
Stable company with great benefits but constant management changes
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 20, 2018
Workplace culture changes from dept to dept. In finance long hours are not only typical but required. Finance systems don't seem to be adequate, a lot of manual/excel work.
Constant changes in business leadership team and in finance. Changes in direction and vision that lead to waste of money, time and human resources.
Pros
Fair pay, good benefits
Cons
Poor upper management, complicated corporate matrix, poor communication across depts

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marsh & McLennan Companies. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

68out of 100

The Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Marsh & McLennan Companies.