Marshalls Employee Reviews

Found 6,382 reviews matching the search See all 6,659 reviews
Great Place to work!
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MENovember 9, 2018
I worked at Marshall's for a little over and year and a half and I loved every second of it. The staff is great and most of them have been working there 10+ years. The management is organized and always strives for greatness when it comes to customer service and competitiveness with other stores in the state. It was a relaxed environment and I wasn't pressured into things I didn't feel comfortable doing. I chose my hours most of the time, and they were very understanding of my school schedule. I ended up leaving after I found a new job that would offer me full time hours and a higher rate of pay, but the time I spend at Marshall's was one of the best!
Pros
Breaks that were long enough and always feeling comfortable
Cons
If you're a part-time worker don't expect benefits, you'll have to work towards a higher up position
Fast-paced place to work with room for growth
Merchandise Coordinator, Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lapeer, MINovember 24, 2018
I have been with Marshalls for nearly four years in two locations. I've loved both stores and the teams I've worked with. I started working here during college and management is extremely flexible and willing to work with schedules. There is plenty room for growth with this company as long as you voice that you're interested in growing with TJX. Transferring stores is simple. Only cons would be standing for hours at a time, lack of structured training, and how unorganized the stores can get.
Pros
Work-life balance, flexible scheduling, career growth
Cons
Messy stores, lack of training, physical demand
Good temporary work
Assistant Department Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAAugust 16, 2018
When I started at this company I loved it. It had a great working environment considering the fast pace due to the location and size of the store. There was a lot of opportunity for advancement at the time. Unfortunately, there was a change in management and a huge change in the working culture. It made the already fast pace work extremely stressful and exhausting. Lack of budget is the constant excuse given when associates kept asking for help. the lack of cashiers and sales floor people made the few working, work twice as hard for not enough pay.
Pros
Good part time work for students
Cons
low salary, poor management
Hard work that always goes unappreciated
Loss Prevention Agent (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAOctober 8, 2018
Stressful work environment that pays penny raises annually. The culture is based on favoritism and in my line of work, was quite unsafe. They set unrealistic goals that never be accomplish and push you to work harder. The training for their work doesn’t apply to real life situations. Everything that their training covers revolves based on the companies best interest and no regard to the employees at all.
Pros
Not many
Cons
So many
Excellent place to work, i could always take time off or have my scheduled time off around kids school programmes and life styles changes .
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 25, 2018
Was a perfect place to work, had some of the best managers and co-workers. Management and staff and well as co-workers were an excellent team, going into maternity leave and returning with in the beginning weekend shifts to mix of evening and day time shifts and then eventually full time anytime hours and shifts. Could always request for time off for children's school programmes and hospital appointments, as well as my own hospital appointment and short term disability during maternity leave.
Pros
Flexitibilty, some of the the best Management team and District managers
Cons
wish pay raises would have been much more than the company gave us employees
Its a good company to work for, but the Management can be a deterrent.
Assistant Store Manager of Operations (Current Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MIJuly 28, 2018
The company offer competitive pay and has great benefits. Upper Management team can be a deterrent. Although the company promotes "work life balance" , it doesn't exist for the Assistant Managers. Except to work every weekend and 12 or more hours a day. Depending on the location of your store, recruitment can be challenging. If you're located near a high school or college that's all you're going to attract and your turnover will become an issue. Communication with HR is a challenge and causes a lengthy process to get anything resolved.
Pros
Pay and benefit
Cons
Work life balance
Good pay/ benefits come with challenging schedule and difficult work/ life balance
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bridgewater, VASeptember 1, 2018
Marshalls grants opportunities to hire from an extremely diverse background and skill level. The offer good pay and excellent benefits and are a very friendly environment for new associates and leaders. They offer an opportunity for less experienced individuals to lead departments that range from 15-100 associates. They have three shifts in their 24/7 operation that make for a challenging work/life balance due to regular mandatory overtime.
Pros
benefits, pay, career growth
Cons
schedule, hours
Very fast paced and demanding job
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 14, 2019
The experience you will get working at Marshall's as a ASM really depends on you.
While I am goal and task driven, the constantly never ending tasks can be a burden and can easily set you off the work/life balance.
During my years working here I have seen both managers that would work 12 hours or more every day until risking to get injured in order to achieve their goals and complete all tasks, to the managers that will be in the office and leave on time most days.

The middle ground will always be the way to go, but your store manager will affect your desire to work in a certain location.

As in most companies, there are good parts and there are bad parts.

But Marshall's will teach you a lot and will be a memorable experience.
Pros
team work, great associates, fantastic insurance, good 401k
Cons
N/a
productive enviornment
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLDecember 13, 2018
A typical day would be depending on what schedule I had for the day.
Either I reviewed the notes from the closing manager then planned out our day for the associates. We always had daily huddles and meetings with the coordinators to set goals, follow up on previous goals and any concerns that needed to be dealt with. Then we opened the store and dealt with daily productivity and giving excellent customer service to all. I learned how to better display our merchandise to help increase our turns and sales. Our workplace culture was an open door policy always preaching respect, diversity, and a team atmosphere. The hardest part of my job is the number of hours I put in weekly. (60-70) the most enjoyable part of my job is training and development and watching the number of promotions that are accomplished.
Used to be a good place to work, lack of advancement if you actually work.
Merchandising Coordinator/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 2, 2019
You can literally be the best associate in the building & support the entire store & run the store smoothly & the current store manager would promote someone who is the total opposite. I was told because I was pregnant that I wouldn’t be promoted. Even though I was up for promotion & the best candidate in the store. You will get promoted faster if you do nothing. You work your butt off just to get a poor raise. The managers who do nothing get the bonuses for the work you do. I had a great year two years in a row & worked my butt off for nothing.
Pros
Nothing!
Cons
Poor leadership, no room to grow if you actually are good, it’s more about who you know then work ethics.
Stressful environment and poor management.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Folsom, CAAugust 9, 2018
I worked over 2 years, I was one of the that opened rewards but hardly never was recognized by my work. On the other hand, if a couldn’t work the hours that they what me to work because I was going to college, they were giving me a single 4 hours shift for the week. I talked and talked about it with the store manager and nothing ever happened. Paid is low and hardly get raise every year. Managers were fighting each other all the time and one of them was promoting only their friends, nobody else ever has a chance. Even if you contact a higher up person nothing happens.
Pros
Cons
Poor management and no possible to advance.
Management is unprofessional
Service Desk Coordinator (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 31, 2018
Most of the management team is rude, unappreciative, lazy, and/or insensitive. There is no respect to you as to how valuable and loyal of an employee you are, you will not get hours or promotions or respect unless you are best friends with the managers. Environment is gossip-filled and run on favoritism. Very toxic. Marshall’s as a company has so many nonsensical policies that cause customers to become angry at the expense of their blameless cashiers. Awful job. Go somewhere better, because this job just happens to be all that some miserable manager will amount to and they’ll make your work life a living h*ll because of it.
Stressful and very cut-throat
Key Carrier/ Front End Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXNovember 20, 2018
My assistant manager was the one who would pressure myself and the other Key Carrier about making the store credit card goal each day. If we did not make the goal the previous sales day, she would yell at us, unprofessionally, in front of customers and would threaten us about demoting our positions as Key Carriers. When I requested, 2 months in advanced, for a week and a half off for vacation, she denied it without reason. I believe the management team does not care for their employees, just themselves. I will say, other than the management, my fellow co-workers were the ones who would make the sales day eventful. We considered ourselves a family.
Benefits
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Niles, ILNovember 29, 2018
I worked as a store manager at Marshalls. I loved working for the company and the culture was one of the best places I worked for.
The hardest part of the job, as a store manager, was to make time to develop my employees - but I was successful.

The culture at the company was great!
Pros
Work life balance, compensation
Cons
tight payroll, personally was the physical demands of the role
the lunch room was small but I love all the rest
Backroom Associate (Former Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FL 33060December 26, 2018
I would mainly unpack, fold clothes, clean the back of the store and organize arriving merchandise pretty nice job. I would also sometimes help push items to the floor and restock em the management was nice and the Supervisor for the associates in the back was amazing. I am not sure I can find something similar to this.
Pros
The work there is clean cut and to the point, Schedule wont change from what you have unless you ask for more hours, advancement opportunities and my Supervisor was reasonably nice and approachable
Cons
the lunch room can be a bit suffocating
Cons outweigh the Pros
Coodinator/ Key Carrier (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALOctober 4, 2018
You're barely trained for your role, they expect you to have an open schedule but only like to give part time hours. If you're a cashier you're only worth as many credit cards you get customers to apply for, if you're on the floor or in the backroom you're only worth as much merchandise as you can process and put out. When it comes to management it's just a dog and pony show, they use the work you do for their benefit. The deliveries are random, you have no idea what will be on the truck and yet they want you to be able to plan out a whole department.
Pros
discount, healthcare, 401k
Cons
short breaks, management, poor planning, bad system for receiving and putting out merchandise
liked disliked
Coordinator/ cashier (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDJanuary 16, 2019
working here you learn different things but the management wasnt very understanding at all they took late time away from us they wanted us to get creit apps and if we didnt get them we could get fired some times the people who worked there was not very nice they was smart and nasty to you a good thing about it you earned how to found things on the floor by the numbers and put stuff out and make it look nice in there iv got the chance to met some nice people and try to become a leader and to help the employs to ring on the registers
Great Place to work during school
Keizer Station - Lead Closing Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Keizer, ORJune 10, 2018
I loved working at marshalls but when I wanted to advance in my career there were never any open positions because they hire outside of the company. The management team was spectacular and were always willing to listen and were very understanding. Corporate was never willing to maintain equipment or company property. Can get a raise of 1 dollar per year based on performance. I love working here and would recommend it over any other company for working in customer service. I just want to work as a coordinator or manager which I still have not had an opportunity to do in over 9 months.
Pros
45 min lunches, employee discount, flexible with time off
Cons
no health benefits for under 40 hours per week
Fast paced
Merchandise Associate- Cashier/Sales Floor (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXAugust 28, 2018
This is a great place to work if you are a college student they work very well with your school schedule I never had a problem with updating my availability every semester. I made a lot of friends while working at Marshall's. The weekends tend to get very busy but, that is any retail store. I worked in every department and they all have their challenges. Management is very understanding except for the actual store manager she may be difficult at times. Store manger really enforces cashiers to get customers to sign up for credit cards you must have a minimum of 2 customers to sign up for a credit card per shift.
Pros
Schedule flexibility, coworkers
Cons
no benefits, no full time positions unless you are a manager/coordinator
Flexible hours
Part time employment (Former Employee) –  Enfield, CTDecember 13, 2018
Marshalls was a good job opportunity that came along when I could not find additional employment. As a part-time job, it gave me the time I needed to attend to my aging mother's weekly needs; however, it also limited the amount of income I could take home weekly. The schedule varied week to week; therefore I worked both day and evening shifts, which included closing the store to ensure it was clean and neat and stocked accordingly for the next day. I loved the merchandise and great prices. Management often changed frequently and some members of management were more professional than others. The full-time employees seemed to resent some of the part-time employees, yet there was still a friendly, team oriented environment. Working in retail was a good experience and I learned a lot about high-end/name brand merchandise. Working with the public was both enjoyable and difficult. Soliciting shoppers to apply for a store credit card was the hardest part of the job, as management expected us to obtain a minimal number of applicants per month.
Pros
Small employee discount, doulbled the discount for holidays
Cons
Low salary, often mimimal hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marshalls. Our community is ready to answer.

52.1K
42K
31.7K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Marshalls.

Powered by Comparably