Marten Transport
53Below average

Marten Transport Employee Reviews

United States671 reviews
Joined one of Marten's dedicated fleets with a cpm rate and a $1150 minimum weekly pay guarantee. Well, I drive 6 days a week and after 3 months, I haven't made over the guarantee yet. I average approximately 64-65 on-duty hours a week which equates to around $15 per hour. My loads normally leave the shipper between midnight and 2am but they have started dispatching me from 6pm to 2am....which really screws up my sleep pattern. Starting a load sleepy and tired isn't what i signed up for. Half of my on-duty time is spent waiting at the dock, waiting to be unloaded, or waiting to be loaded for a backhaul.....none of which i'm compensated for. Not sure how much longer I'll be here.......
Pros
Steady work, nice office staff
Cons
it's all about the load
Managers and dispatchers have always treated me with respect. But every 6-8 months the company "restructures" the pay, cutting more and more of your money.
Pros
Mostly stress free. People are respectful
Cons
Low pay, which gets lower and lower as time passes
Company have some decent equipment, and technician took care of it,but manager just care about themselves, not for drives as should be,they just pushing to the limit until driver renounces.
Pros
Equipment and quality technicians
Cons
Low income & no respect for drivers
July 1, 2020
At Marten, we have late model fleet averaging under 2 years and take pride in keeping out equipment up to date. We provide certified top pay for our drivers which includes the security of a weekly guaranteed minimum.
There is nothing in particular worth mentioning in this review marten as a company will run you how they want to the pay is decent especially the detention
July 1, 2020
We are proud to provide top pay packages which includes detention pay. We expect all our employees to work hard and understand that Marten is not the best fit for everyone.
If your looking 2 only make $1100 a week you found the right place but there Is a lot of stipulations in order to get this so called guaranteed 7+ loads a week you have 2 be willing 2 work hard 5 days a week 12 to 14 hours a day On average I make about $15 an hour no overtime I'm sure I won't be here long This feels like slavery I just got Wrote up for not moving a trailer That was malfunctioning And I wasn't going to be paid to move it Your holiday pay is part of your Guaranteed pay nothing extra Your safety bonus is really none existence They don't give you 7500 miles A month but that's what you have to make to get the safety bonus Anything under a 150 miles is $50 flat rate You're not paid for the 1st stop the 2nd stop or the last stop But if you have any stops in between they will give you $15 No detention or standby pay I don't care if they take 3 hours to load/unload you sit there and wait I could go on all day telling you to run But most likely this post will be taken down But everything can be proven
Pros
Good looking trucks easy job
Cons
Pay
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
I worked here for awhile and I was always a number and was always given attitude when calling in. Micromanagement was insane and when I went home as instructed by dispatch for home time the main manager didn't know and wrote me up as well as charged me $2.00 a mile to bobtail 78 miles home and back to the terminal. I returned their truck and was charged with abandonment.
Pros
Steady miles and pay
Cons
Everything that really matters
This company was a really good company to work for. Didnt really have a problem with the work at marten. Pay was good trucks were new. Some new trailers.
July 1, 2020
We appreciate the kind words. At Marten, every department works hard to for each other, that include keeping our trucks safe and being able to provide top pay for our drivers.
Marten actually pay for everything. Dock, detention, stop, breakdown etc. Never had a problem with my DM. Decent trucks and trailers. Anytime you come to the yard you go through the safety check line.
July 1, 2020
We take pride in having the best equipment and being a certified top pay carrier. Because of our hard working drivers we have different bonus they can earn every month including safety, hazmat and layover.
Me and my established team partner were considering trying to work for Marten. I called their number and spoke with a recruiter. He said he had to verify us first before he could tell us about pay or anything about the company. If we are considering Marten as a potential place of employment, why not tell us about the company, especially the pay so we can make the best decision. He kept saying that he would have to verify that we were qualified and this is after telling him of our experience. He said he couldn’t tell us anything about the company unless we put an application in first so he could verify that we are qualified. Not very professional in my opinion and seemed a little shady. Take this review however you want and make the best decision for yourself!!
July 1, 2020
Thank you for the feedback we will look into this. We want to verify employment to be sure drivers qualify before moving forward as to not waste time.
I had no problems at Marten , Just got bored doing what i was doing . The money situation was good than it got worst . And the company that i work for previously offered me more money. So i went back.
May 27, 2020
We are proud to be a certified top pay carrier, and we always recommend that if you have pay issues to reach out to payroll. We want to make sure that our drivers are getting what they earned.
Night dispatch are jackhasses, load planners do things that don’t make any sense pay is not how they advertise it or at least if it is I haven’t seen it My fleet manager is great though because he actually listens to what I’m saying Just be careful coming to marten
May 27, 2020
We pride ourselves in professionalism and treating everyone with respect. If you are having issues with dispatch, reach out to your operations manager.
I've been with them over a year. Started well, but started compromising their promises later. Recruiter promised .54 cpm, but ended up in .50. No more hazmat , layover pay. No pay increase. Minimum guarantee is ok, equipment service superb, friendly staffs, fleet manager very nice,. Never failed in getting you home at the right time...no company beats Marten on home time issue.
Pros
Excellent work-family balance, good pay
Cons
No pay increase
May 29, 2020
We work with all of our drivers from the beginning to make sure we match them with the fleet that best fits their needs. All drivers will know their home time and pay upfront. Because of our hard working drivers we have different bonus they can earn every month including safety, hazmat and layover.
DM’s and planners have no driving experience and plan accordingly. Don’t take in consideration basic needs on a trip plan, not even the time to fuel or weight the loads, therefore you are almost late to the drop. If you stop for #1 or #2, to have lunch or just to rest your eyes, you may not make it on time. Its like they divide the miles by 60 mph in a straight line where there’s no construction, city traffic or accidents. and that’s the ETA.
Do not want to say anything bad but this company was not a good fit for me. Had issues with pay, truck, dispatch and being asking to run over my 14 hour day and forced to do Wal- Mart dedicated and intermodal.
May 27, 2020
If you have any issues we recommend that you reach out to your fleet and operations manager. We understand that Marten is not the best fit for everyone and wish you the best.
Great job culture and management. The job itself can be stressful at times but thats just the transportation business in general. Overall I enjoyed my job at Marten, but be prepared for what you are getting into.
May 27, 2020
We pride ourselves on creating a good working environment for all our employees and expect everyone to give their best effort.
The minimum pay is a way dispatchers can send you 1,000 miles away from home on a Friday, when your home time is supposed to begin on Saturday. If you dont accept every load, they wont give you your minimum pay. It's usually at the end of the week when they purposefully do it, just to make you lose your minimum pay. And without the minimum pay, your making peanuts.
Pros
Getting out of the truck
Cons
Getting back in the truck
May 11, 2020
We are a proud top pay certified carrier and have been well before we introduced guaranteed pay. Guaranteed pay is designed to supplement a paycheck if we were to fall short. Most drivers never need to be paid guarantee pay because their paycheck is much higher.

We go over all rules before a driver accepts an offer. One of those rules includes no load refusals. However, we do not send a load to a driver that would not get them home on a Friday and then deny their pay. That would not be in the best interest of the driver or for us.

Every year we pay out over a million dollars in guaranteed pay. Most drivers’ checks are large enough to not need it. We still pay it out to many drivers weekly who did their jobs but we failed to get them enough miles to get above their guaranteed amount.
they take very care of their trucks, the only reason I wouldn't be staying is the pay I do five loads or more a weeks and still I do not get guaranteed pay. They promise to pay you for watching safety videos but after few months with them they stopped paying me.
May 1, 2020
If you have any questions regarding pay, we always encourage drivers to reach out to payroll.
Not a good place to work, thy won't make you to work what you signed when you first hired . Management not treat you good. Thy don't pay you good. Stay far away, you’ve been warned.
May 1, 2020
We work with every driver to find a fleet that works best for their schedule. All drivers know what they will be working before hired and are proud to be a certified top pay carrier. Not everyone is a good fit for Marten and we understand that.
When they post job ads they promise to have you home every weekend for the regional position but what they don’t tell you until the day your hired is that you have to request time off. Request time? Yeah request time off and it has to be approved so how are you guaranteed home time every weekend? Why does a load need to be delivered for me to get home and your truck broke down during the load run? I suggest filling a lawsuit
really good company for start working with some experience in my opinion. The salary is good and the home time is better than others companies. I hope you liked.
April 27, 2020
We have different opportunities available for everyone, depending on your needs for home time. It's great to hear that you are enjoying your working with us!
Marten it's a good environment to be working with. It has plenty of options and work to keep you busy if you want to run.
It's worth to take a chance.
Pros
It's a busy company with a lots of work, mostly drop and hook, they paying since the arrival time.
Cons
There's bad people in the risk mngmt and night and wkend dispatcher
April 3, 2020
It's important for us to provide options so we can find the right fit for each of our drivers. We work hard for our drivers and expect them to work hard for us.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marten Transport. Our community is ready to answer.