Marten Transport

Marten Transport Employee Reviews

United States863 reviews

drivertransportmiletruckdispatcherdetentionfleettrucking

Its a job

Its always something. Poor driver management, poor dispatching. You never kno anything until its almost last minute and if your late its your fault. Half the time you don't get paid for total wait yime at shipper or receiver sitting for over 24hrs waiting on next dispatch. The list goes on.

Good company

It was a fair company to work for. Dispatchers had your back and helped you to resolve any issues. Not so much at night though. Fair pay as long as you stay out 5 days and never had a problem getting detention pay.

Marten Transport insights

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

Good pay bad benefits

Pay was good but the benefits are bad there is no moving up in the ranks unless you know someone or your part of a family that is high up in the company

No complaints from me besides my checks could be bigger sometimes I have a good fleet manager and all also the night and weekend planners could do a much better job other then that I can't say anything negative about this company.

Good company to work for

I have never had an issue working for Marten other than me myself wanting more pay for my lifestyle. Marten will attempt to accommodate all your employment needs. They don't want you to quit and would preferably ask you to discuss your issues with management before doing so. That way if another position is what fits your needs they can assist you on it.The company has a good management staff that I work for (Tucker Terminal), and great personal benefits. I can see myself retiring from this company.

Pros

Great staff and good benefit options available

Cons

more pay to fit the lifestyle of the ever changing economy, as the cost of living goes up so should the pay

Great pay.

The pay is fairly decent ($1400 minimum guaranteed per week). A lot of the trailers are in poor condition. The desk geeks will try micromanaging you. I quit after getting horribly sick and they demanded I get an Uber to go to an urgent care for a dr note.

Run

The company itself isn't a bad company it's the fleet managers and employees that make it so bad there. They disrespect u and yell at u & are liars .

Pros

Well kept trucks and decent home time

Cons

Lying fleet managers and always making the drivers feel like dirt and messing with drivers pay

Need dispatch training

Hired on for regional and home weekends. First week the company tried to not hold up their end of the contract. Second week same thing. Needless to say I left due to employer negligence. Only part they deliver on is a newish truck

Work environment

Dispatcher constantly was watching over my shoulder electronically and criticizing my frequent stops for restroom breaks by expressing that I needed to advance their load in a robotic manner, even though I am just a human being.They were unrealistic and unreasonable in their many expectations. I believe my dispatcher was being pressured by management to push me along for the company's benefit

Pros

Nice equipment

Cons

Too much micromanagement

January 23, 2023
We are very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy working for Marten. We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors and will pass this along to management.

Vacation/pto

My biggest complaint is them saying you get vacation and pto but they now classify it as the same thing. It's 2 totally different things. So if you use 3 days pto you only have 3 days left to cover both. It shouldn't be both it should be stated you get 1 weeks vacation after a year

January 23, 2023
To clarify, our vacation time is the same thing as our PTO and it is all just classified under the same category. During your first year with Marten you would get 6 days of paid vacation time/PTO split between the first half and second half of the year and that would carry over into the next year as well. I hope this helps but if you have any questions please reach out to our recruiting department at 800-395-3331 and someone can further explain how this works!

Good

Love it, people are great there's load most days you can go out of state if you want or not. Pay is good at .63 a mile plus layover pay of 250. And detention pay 15 for first hour and 20 for the rest

January 23, 2023
We appreciate the review and are so happy to hear that you enjoy driving for Marten! Please don't hesitate to reach out to your Fleet Manager if any conflicts arise.

What is the best part of working at the company?Good people and good supportWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?Busy all the time but a great challenge

January 23, 2023
We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review and are glad to hear you enjoyed working for Marten!

Marten does not care about their employees and their families

Management and dispatch is very unprofessional, They don’t give you adequate information for your routes or loads which causes unnecessary down time and late arrivals. Dispatchers are rude and do not take any accountability for their lack of communication and support. Any mistake made during your 90 day probationary period will be treated as a fireable offense. Damage that happens to your truck from a non-moving accident will go on your DAC report, even if it is not your fault. Do not waste your time with this company, there are much better companies out there that are compassionate and care about their drivers.

Pros

Cons

Dispatch

January 23, 2023
We are very sorry to hear this, however drivers and their families are a huge priority to us and keeping them safe and happy is very important. Did you reach out to your Fleet Manager when you were having these issues? They are there to help.

What is the best part of working at the company?Benefits and they paid for my truck parking on my weekends at home What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Slow trucks

January 23, 2023
Safety and making sure our drivers get home to their families is very important to us. We are very sorry you are unhappy with the speed of our trucks, but we do this to ensure the safety of our drivers and the motoring public on the road!

Unproductive

This company has a lot of unorganized work flow. The pay scale varies and is a floating scale. They try to force drivers to do things outside the contracted agreement.

January 23, 2023
We are sorry to hear this, please reach out to our recruiting department to discuss your complaints and we would be happy to discuss with you.

There are no warnings of any kind if you are on the chopping block.

I gave them everything for 3 years and out of no where I was just let go. There are some good people that work there however it can be a role of the dice and if you don't fall into the right click or good team you pretty much have to do everything the hard way.There where times when they did work with me, but to keep me from leaving.

Pros

You might make some money

Cons

No breaks, politics, 35% weekly pay docks.

January 9, 2023
We are very sorry to hear things did not work out for you, we wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

Rough from the start but pay has potential

Driving for only 6 weeks as biweekly. Pace hasn't been fast, only around 2700/2200 miles for long/short week. Pay is from Tues-Tues. Avg $1700/1100. To earn min pay have to be out at 48hrs.

January 9, 2023
We appreciate the honest review, please remember to reach out to your fleet manager with any issues or concerns and they will be glad to discuss with you!

What is the best part of working at the company?Coming home daily What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Working for low payWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?Very one sided if you know what I meanWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?I never know anything and everything happen at anytime

January 9, 2023
We are very sorry that you feel this way. Please reach out to your Fleet Manager or your recruiter to discuss the troubles you are having.

Nice

Nice guaranteed pay for a 5 day work week. The yard is always full due to all the containers everywhere. Refrigerated trailers looked old but dry vans are newer.

January 9, 2023
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, we are glad to hear that you are happy with your pay. Please don't hesitate to reach out to your Fleet Manager to discuss any concerns you have!

Good every level position

Marten is an excellent company to learn the basics of managing an OTR fleet. The past is competitive, and it is definitely a good fit for younger, single works as the work-life balance leaves a little too be desired.Overall good equipment to dispatch drivers with, and their systems generally work well, with many tools to make managing the drivers easier.

January 9, 2023
Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review, we appreciate the feedback and we are glad you got a lot out of working here as a Fleet Manager!

Just a short term job

They don’t care about your sleep schedule you can be working at any random time of the day . Be careful as they don’t care if you are exhausted and have wired runs .

January 9, 2023
We are sorry things did not work out for you at Marten. Our driver safety is a huge priority for us so we are very sorry you felt this way.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marten Transport. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Compare Marten Transport with

• Transportation & Logistics
  • Marten Transport
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?