Marten Transport Employee Reviews

good pay but long hours and short hometime
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Mondovi, WIJuly 17, 2018
The big reason the pay is high at Marten is they pay for most of your downtime, there is a lot of it. Unfortunately, after the downtime you are under the gun to make ontime deliveries, this is stressful. Work for 3-4 weeks and get three days off but usually the first day, you are so late that it's only 2 days off. In the 2.5 yrs with Marten, I have had 7 managers. The longest one was 10 months, the rest were 4 months or less. This makes for a lot of uncertainty and added stress.
Pros
paid downtime, good pay and benefits
Cons
short home time, long hours, stressful
Truck Driving
Truck Driver Class A CDL (Current Employee) –  Mondovi, WIJuly 14, 2018
It's really enjoyable at first, but after missing much. It's time to be at home. Be more active at home. Learning to be organized, working through traffic, building up patience and experience over the road. I ll have close to a billion miles in 2020.
Shake up
Driver Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, KSJuly 6, 2018
They expected way more from their recruiters than was possible to give. Their benefits were not sufficient to bring or keep drivers there. Promises made and not kept. When I first started the management was great and then came the changes. It went down hill from there unfortunately.
Pros
pay for recruiters
Mid range exp
Commercial Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  WisconsinJune 29, 2018
Mid range experience company for a driver looking to advance from entry level.
Good equipment and shops.
Trucks have extras to make drivers time out easier.
not to bad of a place depending what account your on
professional Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Mondovi, WIJune 22, 2018
company loads could have been dispatched a lot better. all in all a decent place at times but some of the management should not be in their positions.
Pros
own truck to driver to and from work
Cons
pay, rates for insurance
July 3, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and review. The satisfaction of our drivers and employees is always our top priority, so we regret that you were not satisfied with your time at Marten. We would be happy to discuss more of your specific situation offline. Feel free to contact us directly at marten.recruiting@marten.com or 800-395-3331.

Great Experience
Technician/ Foreman (Former Employee) –  Zionsville, INJune 13, 2018
Loved working here even when things would get stressful, management would always come and work with you to try and get things figured out. Only reason I left was due to moving further away and the drive was very hard on me, company did try to get me to stay but drive was the deciding factor.
Pros
Great facility, and management
Cons
Cant think of any
June 28, 2018

Thank you for your kind words! We're so glad to hear you enjoyed your time at Marten and appreciate you taking a moment to leave your feedback.

A large company that is high on the list for landing spots
Driver (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 11, 2018
Compared to other companies like Swift, Knight, Werner, or others, Marten DOes a good job in taking care of their employees. I was referred to by my older brother who has been in trucking for about 25 years. I trust his opinion, so I went for it. Im pretty satisfied.
Pros
Good pay, will keep you moving, decent truck selection
Cons
Governed at 65 MPH, Automatic trans, lack of communication on the weekends
July 3, 2018

Thank you for leaving a 5-star review! We're so glad to hear you are enjoying your time here at Marten and appreciate you taking a moment to leave your feedback.

transportation
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Mondovi, WIJune 5, 2018
The company as a whole I have no problem with, it just that they lied to you 65% of the time, they assign two or more trucks to the same load. So if you were not the first one there, you have to wait until they look for another load. and then you deliver the load you sit a wait for them to do there JOB. and at time you can sit for hours. And when you want to go home, after being out for weeks they NEVER get you home on the day you want or need.
July 3, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. The satisfaction of our drivers is always our top priority, so we regret that you were not overall satisfied with your time at Marten Transport. We would be happy to discuss more of your specific situation offline. Feel free to contact us directly at marten.recruiting@marten.com or 800-395-3331.

Not Capable Management - Favoritism
Acct Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 25, 2018
As a Company Marten has some good standards, good policies, and a good work mission. Unfortunately people,( the wrong king of people) are managing the terminals and favor a few. There is a lot of favoritism and only those who know the Director move up and get the opportunities of Advancement. Its who you know, not what you can do at Marten Transport. Stay away, any other company would pay better without the politics.
Pros
Good Corporate Structure - Good Company
Cons
Terrible Manager that help those they know only.
May 29, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. The satisfaction of our drivers is always our top priority, so we regret that you were not satisfied with your situation while at Marten. We would be happy to discuss your specific situation offline. Feel free to contact us directly at marten.recruiting@marten.com or 800-395-3331.

walk away from working here, scratch that...RUN!
Driver (Former Employee) –  TampaMay 11, 2018
I can tell you this is an honest and truthful assessment of working as a driver for Marten. First, the turnover is at least 100%, that in itself should tell you something. There is a fair amount of nepotism at Marten........which is bad. Family members work there based on who they know and not their qualifications. The recruiters are not very knowledgeable. They talk a good game.....and that's about it. They are under pressure to get trucks seated. When a recruiter refers to trailer seals as "straps" and the refrigerated trailer as a "freezer" that should tell you they don't have a clue.

I made it a point to talk to drivers that were quitting wholesale. More than a few said the recruiters were less than truthful. They were told they could pick what truck they could drive and the money they were supposed to make was not even close. Several drivers told me they were not making close to what they were told. New drivers were repeatedly assigned trucks that were broke down and waiting for repairs. Consequently, some sat around for days waiting for a truck. When they fire you, they will route you hundreds of miles and even thousands of miles to terminal that needs a truck. You are then on your own as to getting back to the terminal you were based at. There is no synergy here. No one works together. The shop, dispatch, management, dispatch............its a cluster f@#%.

They run orientation and when the drivers are finished some are sent thousands of miles to other terminals to get a truck, without clothes or personal effects. Beware, when you quit, leave or are terminated your
  more... last check will be nothing and no one will tell you. Marten is like every other Truck load carrier, they are hurting for bodies. Consequently, they are continually lowering their qualifications. I believe its going down to 3 months. They hype a lot of benefits, but believe me, its all talk. Take the sliding pay scale, its a joke. You drive a truck, why wouldn't expect the same money for all miles driven. Don't be fooled. You will give a lot of your labor away for free. If you are courteous and give them two weeks notice, they take it personal and will dog you out. It is what it is. My advice to anyone considering working here is to walk, no run, in the opposite way. Are there worse trucking companies than Marten to work for? Yes indeed. You don't want to work for them either. But at the end of the day, stay away from Marten.

Its a merry-go-round, constantly stopping and starting, with drivers coming and going. The mechanics in the shop joke about it constantly. They are tasked with cleaning out the trucks and getting them ready for the next crop of "suckers". Truthfully, most of the time the mechanics are cleaning out trucks, rather than working on them. In all fairness, if I can voice some for Marten, they are not alone. Its the way of the industry. There are much better choices, I would save myself the headache and look elsewhere.
Pros
Nice equipment, when it works
Cons
too many too list
May 14, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from your time at Marten Transport. The satisfaction of our drivers is always our top priority, so we regret that you had an overall negative experience, however we would be happy to talk more with you about your time here and specific experiences. We enjoy talking to drivers and sharing their advice with our team to better the experiences of future drivers. We will make every effort to provide a more positive experience in the future. Please contact us directly at marten.recruiting@marten.com or 800-395-3331.

all was good
Team Driver with my wife (Former Employee) –  Mondovi, WI 54755April 24, 2018
all was good the money was good at the time got to train my wife to drive went and did all 48 state and got paid for it and it was time tomove on to the next chapter in life
April 26, 2018

Thank you so much for your kind words! We're so glad to hear you enjoyed your time at Marten and appreciate you taking a moment to leave your feedback.

Poor place too go
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 28, 2018
The orientation lady named april is the rudest backstabbing child i ever seen,talks down to people, eats all the chips and soda ,and talks all day while your trying to study.
Pros
Cons
Bad orentation april watch out in phoenix
April 17, 2018

Thank you, we appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences with us. We will use your feedback and address the situations like these that are happening during orientation. Marten Transport cares about the time each driver has while beginning their career with us and we will work to provide a more positive experience in the future. If you have additional information to share, we would be happy to discuss your specific situation offline. Feel free to contact us directly at marten.recruiting@marten.com or 800-395-3331.

Driver manager was horrible
Dedicated Driver (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 23, 2018
Harassment and micro management at the fullest. Used to call constantly with bs while you driving and get mad if you don't answer right away. Sent to the wrong city constantly and loads suck. Try to get you to do work outside your agreeed area and get mad when you don't agree. Overall me be a good company with 💩 driver management
March 29, 2018

Fast paced enviroment
Road Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Mondovi, WIMarch 17, 2018
Fast paced when answering phones and getting the assistance the drivers needed in a timely manner.good about getting time off when needed. Supervisor is very professional and friendly.
Pros
Good department to work in
Cons
Departments behind me always complaining about the drivers and other employees
March 20, 2018

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback! We are glad to hear you are enjoying your position with your department at Marten.

Good company
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAMarch 16, 2018
Good company had a threat experience with them working the regional runs. Dispatch was ok and I would recommend this company for drivers. Pay was good
March 20, 2018

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us your feedback! We thank you for your kind words.

Driver (Former Employee) –  WisconsinMarch 9, 2018
I can say that this is a cool company to work for you have a team who will do everything that they can for you as a driver. I just felt that they should be able to pay a driver a whole lot more money for being away from home as much as they are.
Pros
Cons
30 mins
March 12, 2018

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us your review! Your feedback enables us to become a better company.

Goal oriented
Southeast Dry Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Tucker, GAMarch 7, 2018
If you are ready to advance in a company, choose Marten after college. Hard work definitely pays off in this atmosphere, I highly recommend working for Marten as a fleet manager or an account manager.
March 9, 2018

Thank you so much for your feedback! We couldn't agree with your words more. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Productive & FUN place to work
Area Coordinator (IL, GA, AL) (Current Employee) –  Georgia, ALMarch 7, 2018
Great people to work with! Loved working here! It was a great atmosphere & flexible too! People were very welcoming & if you ever had questions, you could always get an answer.
Pros
flexible
Cons
can be stressful at times.
March 9, 2018

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback. We appreciate your kind words! We are happy to hear you loved the work environment and the people at Marten. It is our aim to be here for any questions you may have.

Great way to see our beautiful county
Driver (Current Employee) –  EverywhereMarch 7, 2018
I've Been here almost 2 years and of course like any other company trucking business isn't always perfect but I like what I do I'm home when I want to go home I have a good dispatcher sometimes plans don't go the way they want so you fall behind but you do catch up anybody I talk to that's interested in working for Marten I always tell them good things about the company but they can't go wrong it'd be a good Wise Choice I don't regret coming to Marten
March 9, 2018

Thank you for the five-star review! We appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback. Thanks for sharing your positive experience with us as well as those you meet who are interested!

If you have a good dispatcher it is good to work for this company forget about nights and weekends they treat you like cow poo poo
OTR Driver (Current Employee) –  Dispatched out of Mondovi live in CaliforniaMarch 3, 2018
I haven't worked for very many companies but when I came to Marten I had my goals set up as I heard about Martin when Rodger Martin ran the company but now it's under a new person that's running at and we are becoming like Swift night JB Hunt it is sad but overall this company does keep most of its promises I am very proud to work for martentransport of my 15-plus years of Driving Experience
Pros
They listen to you
Cons
They don't do anything about your complaints even though they're valid
March 6, 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience with Marten Transport. Your feedback enables us to be a better company! I'm sorry to hear that you don't feel heard about your complaints. We would be happy to discuss your specific situation offline. Feel free to contact us directly at marten.recruiting@marten.com or 800-395-3331.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marten Transport. Our community is ready to answer.