Martin & Bayley Inc Employee Reviews

Very stressful work environment
Cook/Prep Manager (Former Employee) –  Carmi, ILAugust 19, 2018
Worked here for 5 years very stressful work environment due to them always having corporate visits. Corporate had very unachievable demands wanting the stores to be hospital clean even though it’s a high volume convenience store.
Upper management brags about how many store managers they fire. Store managers always walking on pins and needles either because of audits or because their demands are so unrealistic for the industry type. People call in it’s a gas station people quit people steal upper management acts like people are in elementary school with dreams of working at a gas station. Get it together Hucks and maybe your turn over rate wouldn’t be so bad and people would stay with the company
Pros
Vacation after a year
My coworkers were amazing, but the job itself was monotonous at best, and overwhelming at worst, especially for the pay.
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Robinson, ILAugust 9, 2018
I found Hucks to be a decent job for a college student. My manager was very flexible with scheduling, but it did seem we were short - staffed frequently. The job is easy, there's just a lot to remember. Corporate was never particularly nice, but they never went past condescending to the workers.
Pros
Short, but frequent breaks for smokers
Productive, clean environment
Shift Manager/Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Orleans, INAugust 3, 2018
Hucks was a fast paced working environment with plenty of customers everyday and on the occasional off day it was expected of us to do extra cleaning. There was never a dull moment working at Hucks and the customers that were regulars would brighten my day up in the small conversations we would have. My favorite part of the job was organizing and cleaning, everything constantly needed cleaned as we were a food serving gas station and I believe a clean working environment promoted an overall healthier environment to workers and customers alike, while also boosting work morale.
Pros
Flexible work schedule and free fountain drinks/ coffee
Cons
No scheduled breaks and restroom breaks were the hardest to make.
Awful management, no job security
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Jeffersonville, INAugust 1, 2018
No promises you’ll have a job day to day and the work changes. It’s one sided and not everyone is held on the same standard for work. Definitely do not recommend working there unless you just want money and plenty of hours
Worked alot of overtime
1st Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Owensboro, KYAugust 1, 2018
it was a huge turnover rate with keeping employees. the store manager was not helpful or friendly no communication everyone fend for themselves type of situation. which lead everyone on different paths
Pros
Pay
Cons
Poor management
Nice business
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Carterville, ILJuly 30, 2018
I enjoyed working for the company. It was a very perfossional place and it was also enjoyable. The rules and guidelines were enforced and the pay was nice.
Did not feel safe.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Summersville, ILJuly 30, 2018
I like working with people so that wasn't bad. Working alone at night though I did not like and did not feel safe. After locking doors I would count the drawer and make the safe back to $400. for the next day, Do paperwork and deposit. Turn on the alarm and lock up. I did a lot of cleaning, ran cash register, gas pumps, make food, coffee and tea.
Pros
Down the street from my house.
Cons
No breaks, no insurance, never worked full-time.
Overall average job.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Saint Charles, MOJuly 27, 2018
The job at Hucks was decent. I loved the employees, management was okay. The best part are the regular customers. I am just looking for a better paying job where there is more advancement.
Pros
Good hours, great employees, and great customers.
Cons
Working full shifts alone, very late nights.
No place for advancement
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Mount Vernon, INJuly 26, 2018
No benefits all they have is esop no employee discounts no job security they need to make major improvements for hard working employees that really care about people an the community.
Cons
Couple of coworkers is what made working there tolerable
Assistant Manager Retail (Former Employee) –  Greenville, KYJuly 14, 2018
It was very stressful at times. I did more work as the assistant manager than the actual store manager. Pay wasn't equal to how much stress the work load put on you.
Fun workplace
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INJuly 6, 2018
You have to be available 24/7
Lots of lifting
Working in extreme temperatures for long periods of time, freezers, coolers, outside, kitchens....
Pros
Esop
Cons
Zero family/work balance
2 retirement plans.
Store Manager/Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville, KYJune 29, 2018
Loved my job but was over worked under paid and no assistants from District or Regional manager. Never had enough help and manager had to pick up all extra hours with no compensation for it. I work no less then 90 hours a week and didn't get an extra day off for it.
Pros
Esop program 2 retirement plans
Cons
Never enough help poor communication from upper management
fast paced
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Energy, ILJune 27, 2018
Its been almost 8 years since i worked there but it was an ok job. Between the steady flow of customers, cleaning and keeping the shelves and cooler stocked you keep pretty busy which makes time go by faster.
Family friendly
Food Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Marion, ILJune 23, 2018
Oversee the day-to-day operations. Plan for and purchase food for food service program. Ensure food in storage meets adequate levels of nutrition and sustenance. Maintain required records including food production, inventory, income/expense, meal counts and personnel records.Ensure program follows proper sanitation procedures. Ensure safety standards are maintained while food is being cooked. Prepare and serve the food. Plan menus. Respond to customer preferences and complaints. Plan and budget for future meals.
Pros
Fun and family friendly
Cons
Limited benefits
fast paced
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sturgis, KYJune 19, 2018
wait on customers keep store clean and product rotated the management was helpful the hardest part of the job is getting things done in between customers
Working at Hucks
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kuttawa, KYJune 17, 2018
I liked it but it didn't allow me to have health benefits or overtime. When I worked overtime I wouldn't get paid for it and my bills are more then I could afford there.
Always something to do
Cashier 3rd shift (Former Employee) –  Grayville,Il.June 17, 2018
The shift I worked was hard to fill so my hours were consistant,some attitude from a few workers hard to keep the good ones pay was consistant overall a good place to work the longer you work ther the better it gets.
Pros
Employee Ownership
Cons
Is a busy store hard to get break time.
Good
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILJune 16, 2018
Decent company i enjoyed working there and meeting new people great staff very understanding some are i cooked chicken egg rolls pizzas burgers and few others in the kitchen at hucks could pay better or maybe offer and actual break everyone should be treated equal fair breaks i dont have much to say
Pros
Frer fountain drink while at work
Cons
No breaks
Worse
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Martin, TNJune 15, 2018
This is the worse place to work, your expected to work alone, it gets robbed a lot, people can treat you like garbage and you can’t say anything, there are no breaks upper management are rude and disrespectful
Pros
It’s a job
Cons
It’s a bad job
It was fun and exciting place.
Cashier/Gas Attendant (Former Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MOJune 7, 2018
Checking and cashing lottery tickets. Pre-paying gas for customers, helping at the pump when needed. Refilling and stocking all products. Shelf and cooler. Keeping tea and coffee made. I probably wouldn't of left if they would of just taking me off nightshift. I literally felt unsafe. Seems like everytime I worked, something happened. But however, I did love my customers. When you was having a bad day there was someone that always came through to make you smile. Then there was others that came through just to sit with you, so you wasn't alone. Overall, I would really like to find a job in Retail or Customer Service.
Pros
Free drinks, slushies and popcorn.
Cons
Short to no breaks.