Martin & Bayley Inc Employee Reviews

This job was a weekly paycheck
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 18, 2019
This job was very stressfull, they would just pile on the work, it was mandatory to work 50 hours but you only received pay for 40 hours, and the only advancement was if you worked in Carmi at their main head quarters, if you were not apart of their click you did not benefit from this company
Pros
they let you off when needed but you had to make up the hours
Cons
no breaks
Unprofessional "Professionals" -- Hucks Management.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Union City, TNDecember 19, 2018
I do not have enough characters to type out the experience I have had in this line of work by numerous companies and other types of work, but what I can type is that I have never in my 7 years of lower and upper level management experienced such a lack of accountability, communication, policy, and of course professionalism.

Hucks in Union City has been opened publicly for about 30 days....
Pros
Income and Services for the Community
Cons
Not the kind of place you stop to get anything with family.
Nice job
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, ILDecember 17, 2018
Working here, it was a nice job but the management always picked favorites and if you were not one of them you got the bad end of the stick the manager didn’t like to be told how you did something to help fix a problem.
Pros
Coustomers
Cons
The people
Poor management but good coworkers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Beaver Dam, KYDecember 14, 2018
Work 8 hour shifts with no lunch. Was lucky to sit down for a 10 minute break twice within my time there. Management on day time was super nice but her fill ins were terribly rude and would try to make you to hand over your phones for them to keep for the shift.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Management and breaks
average job
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Robinson, ILNovember 30, 2018
Average minimum wage job, fine if your not trying to support a family. Hours and pay are not going to be able to support more than one person, but that is to be expected
Liked coworkers management very pushy
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Beaverdam kyNovember 28, 2018
No 30 min break against the law...stand 8hrs maybe sit for 10mins. Pay is low treat u like a slave stressful micromanagement. Training sucks all over place. Have keep up with to much as cashier during shift with no breaks
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
No breaks
Fine work place
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, ILNovember 9, 2018
I learn alot. How to make pizza right and right amount of ingredients. Always go get what customers want and don't let them wait. Plus, sell them items that they may not want.
Pros
Break time
family oriented
Cook and Cashier (Former Employee) –  TennesseeNovember 5, 2018
The workers help the customers just like if they where family.Management tries to give their employs hours but cannt cause of their wont let them give hours to the employs.
poor management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Murray, KYNovember 5, 2018
the manager I worked for was extremely unfair. I never got my insurance from them. The place was overrun with drama. poor turnover. poor treatment of customers and employees
Loved working there
Lead Cook (Former Employee) –  Owensboro, KYOctober 24, 2018
Had a great time loved working there everyone was nice. Learned a lot. Met a lot of new people. Couldn't ask for a better experience. Would work for them again if I had the chance.
Pros
Good hours and pay
Productive, collaborative workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILOctober 19, 2018
I liked the people I worked with. I liked how helpful everyone was, and how much everyone joked around and made the day easier. It seemed like everyone on staff kind of looked out for each other, sometimes even outside of work. It had a family feel to it. Very good place to work!
Pros
People, helpfulness
Cons
N/a
Fun and fast paced.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kuttawa, KYOctober 14, 2018
It was amazing and staff was fun and friendly. They worked with you and your schedule to try to meet what everyone needs. Very willing to give people in life second chances.
Great job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Paoli, INOctober 12, 2018
Learn how to work a cash register and deal with customers on a daily basis and the machines and stocking for gas station cleaning and maintaining the gas station at all times
Manager (Current Employee) –  ILSeptember 30, 2018
Management is a tough position, very little work life balance. Managers are required to cover any call in if they are unable to find coverage, even the overnight shift.
Fast paced work environment
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Frankfort, ILSeptember 24, 2018
Fast paced work environment. No flexibility. Held accountable for things beyond an average employees control. Low pay scale. You get threatened about your job if audits come back bad before all facts are in. It's quite unnerving. The graveyard shift is worked by one attendant which can be dangerous but I guess they think that $0.25 differential makes up for that.
Pros
Cons
Short to no breaks. Only one person on graveyard shift.
not a lot of fun, not a relaxed environment.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Carterville, ILAugust 23, 2018
work a lot of hours for very low pay. benefits don’t really exist, you get 3 cents off gas for being an employee an free fountain drinks that’s about it.
Pros
free drinks, cheap gas
Cons
no benefits low pay
Very stressful work environment
Cook/Prep Manager (Former Employee) –  Carmi, ILAugust 19, 2018
Worked here for 5 years very stressful work environment due to them always having corporate visits. Corporate had very unachievable demands wanting the stores to be hospital clean even though it’s a high volume convenience store.
Upper management brags about how many store managers they fire. Store managers always walking on pins and needles either because of audits or because their demands are so unrealistic for the industry type. People call in it’s a gas station people quit people steal upper management acts like people are in elementary school with dreams of working at a gas station. Get it together Hucks and maybe your turn over rate wouldn’t be so bad and people would stay with the company
Pros
Vacation after a year
My coworkers were amazing, but the job itself was monotonous at best, and overwhelming at worst, especially for the pay.
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Robinson, ILAugust 9, 2018
I found Hucks to be a decent job for a college student. My manager was very flexible with scheduling, but it did seem we were short - staffed frequently. The job is easy, there's just a lot to remember. Corporate was never particularly nice, but they never went past condescending to the workers.
Pros
Short, but frequent breaks for smokers
Productive, clean environment
Shift Manager/Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Orleans, INAugust 3, 2018
Hucks was a fast paced working environment with plenty of customers everyday and on the occasional off day it was expected of us to do extra cleaning. There was never a dull moment working at Hucks and the customers that were regulars would brighten my day up in the small conversations we would have. My favorite part of the job was organizing and cleaning, everything constantly needed cleaned as we were a food serving gas station and I believe a clean working environment promoted an overall healthier environment to workers and customers alike, while also boosting work morale.
Pros
Flexible work schedule and free fountain drinks/ coffee
Cons
No scheduled breaks and restroom breaks were the hardest to make.
Awful management, no job security
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Jeffersonville, INAugust 1, 2018
No promises you’ll have a job day to day and the work changes. It’s one sided and not everyone is held on the same standard for work. Definitely do not recommend working there unless you just want money and plenty of hours