Martin Marietta Materials Employee Reviews

Big company with some worn out dangerous equipment
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  United StatesDecember 13, 2018
Worked there through a staffing company. Supervisors and other company employee's were impressed with my skills and amount of equipment i could run as a finish operator and wanted me to stay for a full time position. No benefits were paid as long as you were working under the staffing agency. The pay was very low for experienced operators even with company offering me a raise to stay and become full time what joke of a raise. Plus the region i was working in November to April or May you were told draw unemployment. Only a chosen few were allowed in upper management could stay and basically do plant up grades and loading products too sell in stock piles. Would not recommend this job.
Pros
Benefits for company employee's
Cons
Pay scale for finish operators and some junk and dangerous Equipment
hard and long grueling hours
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Hondo, TXJanuary 14, 2019
working at Martin Marietta can be grueling, it's a dirty job but they pay well and offer benefits. Management is scarce so you need to self motivated and willing to expand your knowledge and experiences because the company is big with many workers so it's easy to get lost in the shuffle of the company. the work hours are long sometimes 6 days a week but the employees are great and it can be fun.
Pros
benefits and good pay
Cons
60 to 70 hour work weeks
Company is very big on production and saftey.
Operator/Laborer (Current Employee) –  VirginiaOctober 17, 2018
Alot of responsibility comes with your job. You have to comply with all federal and state mining regulations. Management is constantly at your side pushing for more. I feel that there is a discrimination between the two different crews we have.
Pros
Great benifits, raise every year and saftey insintives.
Cons
Always pushing for more. Nothing is ever good enough. Management is brain washed.
Enjoyed the work
Senior Electronic Technician (Former Employee) –  Vandenberg AFB, CAAugust 18, 2018
As an electronic technician, I supported the development of the launch facility, launch vehicle, and the collection and processing of telemetry.
Fellow employees were very supportive with an excellent teamwork attitude.
My immediate management was lacking in technical knowledge, but educated technicians and quality control kept the missions on track.
No aspects of the job were hard.
The best part of the job was the day of the launch.
Pros
Excellent teamwork
Cons
compensation should be based on performance
Awesome foreman & coworkers 12 hour days. Downtime during the work day
Labor/Operator (Former Employee) –  Greeley, CODecember 6, 2018
Asphalt temperatures can reach 350°F
4 months off in the winter
Work schedule from Mon-Fri
Sometimes Sat-Sun
Annual raises
Advancement in all departments
Not a good place if you are motivated
Driver (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 25, 2018
If you are the type to put yourself out there and go above and beyond skip martin. The "good ol boy network" is king here. Expect to do your job and and at least half of someone else's if you are an operator. Its better as a driver because its impossible to get fired. Hit a car? Drug test and get back to work. Hit a truck with the loader? Drug test and get back to work. Hit two trucks in a month and get a three day vacation. Just don't get hurt. Slip on the ice in front of the office? No one will ever see you again. Hurt your back because of a defective truck seat? Adios. It's how they keep their perfect safety record. Deny the claim and hope you don't sue.

If your dad, grandpa or uncle works here, come aboard. No one will mess with you. But the only reward for hard work at Martin Marietta is more work. And expect to get beaten down in your review to keep your wages low.

You call in between seven and eight PM to get your next days schedule. Be prepared to be in at midnight one day and eight the next.

And don't worry about the review about cleaning the bathrooms. The largest facility, practically downtown, hasn't had working toilets in six months. So enjoy sharing porta potties with 60 or so disgusting people.

And they are nice enough to send you news links with the CEO bragging about making so much money, but good luck getting a tire fixed.
Pros
Paid ppe, benefits start right away
Cons
Expect to fight every healthcare claim. Getting hurt means getting fired
equipment operator and weigh master job
EQUIPMENT OPERATOR-DISPATCHER-MATERIAL UNLOADER (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 1, 2018
It was a job that had very little pay compensation. I had to travel throughout the city to the many different job locations. I did enjoy the experiance but I needed to find a more beneficial job for me.
Pros
working with heavy equipment
Cons
poor pay
Avoid, nobody will care about you
Driver (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 6, 2018
There is a reason they are ALWAYS hiring because people are quitting faster then they can train them. The worst management I have ever dealt with. Good luck trying to get a manager to listen to you and if they were to listen they just blow off your concern. If something were to happen, you will be blamed for it. They preach safety as a number one concern, but it better not cost them any money. If you were to get hurt, they will fire you so they can keep their accident free record. Saturdays, plan on working 10-12 hours while the management is out skiing and golfing.

The biggest ready mix site in Denver doesn't even have working bathrooms because the company is to cheap to fix the sewer line. Nothing like having to use porta potties when there are bathrooms on site. The only working sink is bolted to the ground outside with only cold water. Winter is coming and the management doesn't care since they have new office buildings with a janitorial staff and fancy coffee.

They are using a new dispatch software program that will send you to every corner of the city. You will be expected to know every jobsite in the metro area. Their newest excuse is the software said to do "that." They use internet based radios that work half of the time.

The CEO keeps going on money shows to talk about how much they are making but they will screw you on your raise to save a dime. My pay raises never happened on time and I had to fight to get them. I would personally avoid working for this company.
Pros
More overtime then you will want
Cons
Poor management
Martin Marietta
CDL DRIVER CLASS A (Current Employee) –  Brighton, CONovember 28, 2018
I work as a cement mixer driver and I haul loads of concrete to customers around Denver Colorado, and where Northern to Southern Colorado. I wish we could get a union started here.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Benifits
great pace to work
Ground man (Current Employee) –  Matthews, NCDecember 30, 2018
great company, takes care of workers and show them that they are happy that you work there. provide great benefits for the workers and will let people work overtime.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
Good job with long hours
Parts Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 21, 2018
You start out with a good wage and work more than 40 hours a week. Sometimes hard to balance life and work especially if you work weekends. Most benefits start the day you start there so that’s a bonus.
Pros
Good benefits and family oriented work place
Cons
Long hours hard to balance life sometimes
Great learning and growing company
Sr Production Worker in Test Rework (Former Employee) –  Silver Springs Shores, FLSeptember 14, 2018
Being able to work at Martin Marietta was an honor. Being apart of building military weaponary to help aide and protect our country and other countries.
Pros
Benefits and Overtime
Cons
short breaks
very fast paced always busy
MAINTAINANCE WELDER (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 25, 2018
very good benefits very good pay always busy fast paced good bosses good safety record good training long hours but makes night go by faster was sorry to be laid off
Pros
good bosses good pay
Cons
had to adjust to working nights
Great Company overall. Management needs work on ethics.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TX 78249June 26, 2018
Every location is different. Depends on your immediate supervisor on how successful you are. Volunteer opportunities. Made some lifelong friends. Overall workplace culture positive.
Pros
Pay & Benefits
Cons
Management needs work
dispatcher
Northern and Southern Colorado Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 17, 2018
dispatched vehicles for aggregate delivery...created orders for delivery .handled customer compliants…..handles insurance requirements for truck companies
Pros
good benefits
Aggregates
Maintenace Worker (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 11, 2018
Aggregates is a good place to work. good benefits and a good 401 k plan. its a lot of things you have to learn in a timely matter. But if you are serious about your job you will learn them. I had no experience at all when I started, within a year in a half I was impressed with all the things I've learned. it's a good environment and like all jobs can be stressful at times. But at the end of the day they take care of u so u can provide for your family.
very demanding work hours. great career with benefits
Mixer Operator (Former Employee) –  Greenville, TXMay 2, 2018
Job was very fast paced and stressful. I enjoyed working there but there wasn't enough time to manage work and home resposibilities. This job is for a single person who doesn't have to balace the demands of this career and an entire family. This career has a culture like no other.
Pros
benefits, pay
Cons
stressful environment, very demanding work hours up to 70 per week.
Heavy Equipment Operator/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 19, 2018
I haven't any reviews for Martin Marietta but is a very good company to be employed . The management was fair ,workplace culture was fair .the hardest part ot the job was weather at times and the most enjoyable part or the job was teamwork
Pros
Excellent Pay
Cons
Long hours at time
Great Company -
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 16, 2018
Martin Marietta is a great place to work if you are one of the higher ups or are an exempt employee. They offer a bonus program. However, if you aren't an exempt employee....it's not as great. It's harder to get ahead and get promotions. Many times very stressful and you are unappreciated for your efforts. Compensation in the non-exempt positions is in the lower tier. You can probably go elsewhere and make more money.
Steady, mostly safe
Driver (Current Employee) –  Greeley, COFebruary 3, 2018
Good place to work, good company, plenty of work, however......, For a billion dollar company, they don't pay as well as others ($3-$5 per hour less on average), they try to make up for it with benefit package (which is average for the size of the company). Also, they have an unlimited budget when it comes to fixing OLD trucks and equipment but they will not buy newer equipment (which seems inefficient, ineffective and, unproductive to me). I'm a class A driver for MM, I drive a 20+ year old truck which constantly has issues, when our supervisor asks for new equipment, he is told "No, we're not a trucking company." Not a trucking company? Don't we NEED trucks to do our job???
Pros
Teamwork, safety, benefits
Cons
Low wages, old equipment