MARTIN PREFERRED FOODS Employee Reviews

Favoritism and lack of Management
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 15, 2019
Management sells you dreams and doesn’t fulfill you with the opportunities they promise! No way of moving up or space for opportunities because the 3 head guys in night shift aren’t going no where and they even tell you that. The job here should be part time because all you evere going to be here is a regular warehouse worker with very minimal raises
Marinated fajita (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 7, 2018
A very good work place very friendly people
Good management.
You get training get a lot of benefits
2 week vacation when u have 2 years
Then at 5 years they give u 3 week vacation
We’ll pay an a lot of overtime Monday thru Friday
Just another face
ACCOUNT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 5, 2018
Sorry to say not recognized for doing an outstanding job. Only told when you did not live up to their standards. A lot of good employees that work hard for the ccompany
everybody family
ORDER SELECTOR (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 21, 2018
A lot of favoritism, a lot of lies from management. just a lot of bull!!! the pay is minimum and raises or not at all based on work ethics or how hard you show them you are capable of doing multiple jobs. I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone
Cold, Fast-Paced Environment With Drama
Marination Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 15, 2018
A typical day at work involves me starting my shift at 1, getting all the meat orders we have to produce, and assessing which ones still have to complete and in what order to produce them. I have learned how to operate industrial grade meat tumblers and weight scales. The management is apathetic at best, and to me personally, very two faced. I have not received fair treatment, having been promised positions multiple times and then nothing, no word of even why I wasn't promoted. On top of this, I was thrown under the bus for other employees' mistakes, because the manager was 'friends' with those employees, and told 'we're not here to make friends', when it's clear that they are playing favorites. The workplace culture is disheartening, negative, and stressful. The hardest part of the job is manual labor, you have to work hard to process up to 50,000 pounds of raw meat every day and turn it into a viable product. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to go home at the end of the day.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
short breaks, poor management, high turnover affects productivity
pulling orders for production
Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 3, 2018
A typical day at work was have a safety meeting talk about the orders that needed to be completed. I learned how to operate different equipment, management was fair with all the employees,the culture was decent.The hardest part of my job was working in the freezer and the most enjoyable part was getting the job done.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
good company
Pressure Washer/mech op (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 7, 2018
no complaints it was decent for then time i was there i would say they need more room for advancement but i cant say anything bad about this company!!
Fun
Texas, Driver & Deliverer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 27, 2018
The hours were great and the many places we had to go and make the deliveries were also good too. Got a chance to know more about san Antonio and the many people in it.
Pros
was all pro
Cons
was no cons
fun
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 29, 2016
was over the shipping crew. over 15 selectors and loaders and checkers. was fast paced, learned alot from my boss. fun place to work for.
Love working hard at an environment where I can get the task done
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 13, 2016
Going to work, sorting everything out. Making sure my task is done before leaving the work area. If needed will stay and work more hours.
Great place to work, good benifits, and great over time around holidays.
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 15, 2016
Martin preferred foods is a great place to work, great training experience and easy to get along with Co workers.
Everyday is a new type of day order's get pulled by an expected time, get loaded into trucks and sent off.
Pros
3 bonus every year and dinners for Christma, thanksgiving, and new years
Cons
2, 30 minute breaks
Okay place to work
Driver (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 20, 2016
Work schedule to me was pretty good. Repetitive, not enough pay for the work you do. Benefits too high. Once you're finished with your load you can go home unless they ask if you want some extra hours.
work
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 15, 2016
Start off by pulling orders when my team gets done with a order I verify them to make sure everything in the pallet is correct. Also by the end of the day we load up 18 wheelers and also unload them.
Good place to learn the delivery business
Route Driver (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 2, 2016
Martin is a good place overall ,hours worked are fairly easy and the people over me are helpful.
I learned more about the area of Austin in regards to the streets downtown and how to navigate to best serve the route.
the hardest part of the job is learning the bvox codes and customer's, but that comes with time.
Pros
Great life/work balance
Cons
Pay not conducive to amount of work given based on time put in.
Very productive fast growing company
Quality Assurance Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 5, 2016
Great company to work for. It is steadily growing and innovating their process. It was very enlightening getting to interact with individuals at MPF with a lot of experience in the meat industry as well as different USDA inspectors.
Not a good, healthy work environment..
Manager (Former Employee) –  HoustonOctober 22, 2015
Upper management really does not treat their loyal employees very well. I simply could not take it anymore. Instead of complain, I left. Was hired by another company after 1 week of getting my resume out. Best thing I ever did. Have never looked back.

Customer pick-up area is embarrassing.
Pros
Paycheck every Friday
Cons
Low pay, unfavorable work environment
awesome meat company
Driver/Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Dallas,TXOctober 11, 2015
was a awesome place to work for enjoyed the opportunity to be the weekend supervisor and run the show i would go back here in a heartbeat but the pay could be better
produce market
Pocking Out (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 19, 2014
I was working packing the different type of meat and sometimes I help them to weigh the meat at the perfect weigh and after that, I learn all different names of restaurant and names of the products and we used a specifics aprons for all the different products because sometimes we were working with pork and if we did not use the color and the aprons correctly that may cause cross contamination in the meat and in to the company. Three months later they chose me to work with paper work. That position was only working with names of restaurant, Weight, name of the product, and directions to the places of the orders, another thing that my boss told me to do it was to pressure on packing out because they had a specific time to finished to make the orders so that way they can sends on time like Dallas, San Antonio, Austin etc.
Loved my job and worked with some great people.
ACCOUNTING MANAGER (Assistant to the Controller) (Former Employee) –  23rd St, Houston,TXAugust 4, 2014
Typical day was reconciling cash received vs General Ledger.
Bank deposits received and applied to customer accounts.
The general manager was in great support of my position.
The hardest part of the job was understanding their specialized software with inventory,(Macola).
The most enjoyable part of the job were the co-workers were very friendly and we all had great camaraderie.
Pros
Located in Houston Heights.
Cons
Acquisition was made to Martin Preferred Foods.
Productive company but needs to add job security and advancement for their sales force.
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 23, 2014
Company needs to create a better job work environment in order to provide a life balance for its employees.
Pros
free meat samples
Cons
Short brakes and limited family health coverage