Martin Transportation Systems Employee Reviews

really nice place
Local Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIJune 19, 2018
really nice place to work job importance was respected loved moving quality GM Parts it was right up my ally all aspects of the job 100% they did have internationals and Volvos that was only draw back
Busy trucking firm looking out for the company first,
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Byron Center, MIJune 11, 2018
Complete daily assignment and go on to additional work as assigned to fill a 10 -12 hour day is normal. Management can not be trusted to keep their word about time off and pay for non-fixed rate work. Too many days are more stressful than they need to be because of management. The hardest part of the job is driving in bad weather-ice and snow-to complete on time delivery of products. The most enjoyable part of the job is the quality equipment available most days and the service support a driver can expect at all times.
Pros
Plenty of work!
Cons
Too much work for the staff to handle!
Good runs, good benefits
Driver (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIMay 30, 2018
Dispatch is friendly, pay is good, and equipment is great. Runs are all round trip no touch. Home daily. Most runs are for GM and there is weekend work available.
Pros
Equipment, dispatch
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIMay 30, 2018
Martin Transportation is a great place to work. Get your time in and things get even better. Decent tractors and trailers, good benefits and cool people to work around. Maintenance is good at keeping equipment operational.
Pros
Dispatch will work to try to help drivers
Cons
some dispatchers go overboard
One of the best places I’ve worked
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Marshall, MIApril 16, 2018
Working in the shop a lot of people count on you to keep things going. At times it is tough but the pay is really good for being fairly new to the field and the other guys that work in the shop will tell you everything you need to know or learn it with you
Pros
Pay, friendly work environment, understanding coworkers
Cons
Long days at times
hard work
Forklift Operator/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INApril 16, 2018
get to work and have a meeting. learn what I was doing for the day. management had to many bosses. hardest part of the job was having no heat during winter. best part was traveling.
Pros
got to travel
Cons
having 5 people to tell me what to do, someone was always mad at me
Don't work here!!!
Driver (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIApril 16, 2018
Had problems with the equipment almost on a daily basis. I wasn't assigned a regular route so they had me driving to a different place everyday and tell me something different than my actual job duties; they would say that the job was a drop and hook, but, when I would get there, I would have to wait to get loaded and reloaded. There was no extra pay for this wait time unless it was over 2 hours past your appointment time. Worked 12+ hours every day. They charged me for the physical and drug test on my last paycheck.
Pros
Good daily pay
Cons
Poor equipment, low average hourly wage, only 2 paid holidays a year.
Local driver
Local driver (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, IndianaMarch 10, 2018
What you should know...driver facing cameras, a speed thing in every truck that will automatically give you a ticket if you are caught speeding over 4mph (why would you do that to your drivers!?) and they will pay it out of your check. They do charge backs on out of route miles and get this : tire damage. Won't get first check until 3rd Friday you worked. My sign on bonus paid 500 first check 1500 60 days 1000 90 days. Had to wait an extra week for the 500. Loads were late everywhere so workers at the automotive plants are always mad at mts drivers. Trucks are mostly older they are mechanically sound but some could use some cosmetic attention in the interiors. Very poor direction from dispatch. Slip seat. 14 hour days they tell you to come in when your 10 hour break is over. They say you will be on dedicated route but they will keep moving you around. Terminal manager is great he will take care of you the best he can but the rest of them don't. Get 1 week of vacation paid as a pay out on 1 year anniversary. Only get two paid hollidays 1st year.
the money is usually good
Pros
Good money. affordable ins.
Cons
Read review
Horrible place to work
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Not statingMarch 7, 2018
This place will run you into the ground. You can tell them about something that you need to do at home a month in advance and they do not care they will still call you into work and give you the guilt trip that they have no one else to do it. If they can use the 16 hour exemption Rule they will. They do not care about your life at home. They work you to death barely a day off. Dispatchers are rude as can be. Terminal manager dose the know their head from their you know what half the time and cannot help you when you have a problem with dispatch horrible place don’t work here
Worst mechanic job
Diesel Mechanic / Trailer Tech (Current Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXJanuary 29, 2018
Very easy mechanical.. won't learn much . Better if u already know and looking for easier job to get u by.. absolutely no overtime ever. Not even cost of living raises. Manager only cares about his buddy that works there. Run away if u can
Pros
Very light duty work..
Cons
No overtime, manager at site, no annual cost of living raise
One of worst jobs
Driver (Current Employee) –  Marshall, MIJanuary 21, 2018
Bad place to work lies lies lies worst trucking company that I have been no communication bad management bad dispatch lots of unpaid wait no holidays paid
Pros
Cons
To many to put
Consistently inconsistent
Local Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Marshall, MIJanuary 11, 2018
Terminal Leader in Marshall is Great but those in the main office do not communicate with each other and will change loads on you without notice and 9/10 times they will not call to notify you of the load/time changes.
Pros
Home Daily
Lied to from get go.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Marshall, MIDecember 15, 2017
As a truck driver I heard people complaining That they got 1/3 of their check and took weeks to get it straight, other person was still fighting with them to get their money. I was promised bonus check my second week. day of pay they backed out of paying it to me. dispatch always tries to force you to take a load when you are short on time. On my ride along I heard dispatch getting rude to the driver. When I quit they (every one I talked to) was very unprofessional and very rude to me. They Tried to blame me for their incompetence. Caution with this company.
The only life you will get is what you get with them
Driver (Current Employee) –  Coldwater, MIDecember 12, 2017
If you have a family emergency expect them to browbeat you down and not let you off if you need any extra time off they will give it to you and then call you on your day off and have you come in you may have 36 hours off in the week just long enough for your time to reset they treat every driver as if you are brand new and don't know anything they constantly push you to use your 16-hour rule to pull Freight they will constantly demand favors from you but the first time you ask them for a favor you will not get it when any of the auto plant shutdown for holidays they'll make sure they run you at least one day a week just enough so you can't get unemployment but not enough to make a living off of their pay is somewhat reasonable if you can make it within an 8 hour time frame which a lot of their loads you cannot it's a constant fight to get detention pay and they do not care how long you have to wait between your loads if you run doubles late loads are common due to planning they will constantly call you on your 10-hour break if someone calls off they will use your emergency contacts to get ahold of you on your day off if you can't get to your phone in time I would use this job as an absolute Last Resort
Pros
Their health care plan is good
Cons
You cannot have a life with this job and expect to be screwed around the holidays
Steady company to work at but no training
PM Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Port Huron, MINovember 8, 2017
Good company but management is not balanced. Lack of training to gain knowledge. One person per shift so if any accidents happened you have no help and certain jobs require more then one person.
Benefits
Cons
Management and lack of training and advancement
Company ok.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXSeptember 25, 2017
The workplace culture seems to be ok. The hardest part of the job seems to be the odd working hours and long days or nights. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the people.
Ok
Driver/Driver Trainer (Current Employee) –  Spring Hill, TNSeptember 13, 2017
I wasn't getting a 2nd load, therefore wasn't making enough money. Drivers are paid by the load, if a driver can earn nough money delivering just one load, it's an awesome place to work.
Its a job
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSAugust 8, 2017
I dont really care at this point about writing these reviewes on all the companies i have worked for so no i am just typing a bunch of junk to get through this
Not whatbits built up to be
CDL Class A Driver (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIAugust 2, 2017
You get paid per "turn" not daily... can make anywhere from 60 a day to 300... but the majority make around 170-200 a day usually for a 12-13 hour day. Gm runs four days a week so if you want a fifth day to make the paycheck decent you have to work weekends. Dispatch will run you into the ground and over your time, they don't care.

Equipment is old and questionable.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Not as much money as they say
Dead. End Street
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 30, 2017
This company would be a good company if they would only put drivers first and not treat them like a piece of meat. Dispatchers are not properly trained and all they are concerned with is getting the load board cleared despite you are running out of hours.
Pros
No bossmover your shoulder
Cons
slip seating, bad equipment and not enough trucks for drivers to start their day

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Martin Transportation Systems. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8