Martinsburg College Employee Reviews

Horrible Sorority-like Pyramid Scheme
Regional Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVMarch 28, 2019
It is a company owned by non-military affiliates that hire only military spouses remotely in the areas of military bases (and nationally) so that they can use their network. They have their Admissions Representatives manipulate those in their community into using their government funded education grants on a bogus online certificate program. Employees must meet create a fake Facebook (or as they like to call it, your "work" Facebook) and you have daily inquiry and spam message goals. You will be pressured to "overcome objections" to "sell certificate programs" to someone completely uninterested. You are required to post photos of your family and military affiliates to seem "relatable" while also marketing 8-month programs that are irrelevant to any career advancement. There are team collaboration calls where sorority-like girls giggle and plot on how they will target meet their inquiry goals via manipulation and right off their daily Starbucks coffees on their expense report at the end of the month. You are threatened with lawsuits if you record and disclose any of this information. The president of the college hires private investigators and sues anyone who tries to shine light onto his multi-million dollar scheme.
Pros
Free Lunches, Remote, Work from Home, Salary
Cons
Management, Bullying, Manipulation
The position is great, but the goals is what breaks it.
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 28, 2019
I loved this position, but hated the goal-oriented aspect of it. It was great to help out within the military community but hated the negativity that came with the goals. If your goals lacked then that's when the pushy salesman was encouraged to come out by management. You also didn't get any benefits other than accrued vacation days and a few sick days. No healthcare, 401k, etc.
Pros
Work from home, salary-based
Cons
no benefits
Not Really What I Was Hoping it Would Be
Senior Europe Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Germany Valley, PADecember 30, 2018
Martinsburg College has various teams throughout the world that mainly worked on the Social Media Platform, targeting mainly Military Spouses. So we did typically work through Facebook and managed with a team, which we had meetings daily. In this position, I didn't learn much other than how to market on social media, along with the difference between regionally accredited school and nationally accredited school.
Management is a little chaotic and unorganized, in the sense meetings were always changed, and employees where consistently slandered and employees were scrutinized.
Workplace - you work in your own home, so that was nice.
The hardest part of the job was when you were under your "goal" meaning that you were publically shamed for not making the goal.
Most enjoyable part of the job - a handful of co-workers.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Management is unorganized.
Productive Workplace
Marketing Associate (Former Employee) –  RemoteOctober 15, 2018
Martinsburg College is a great environment for those interested in learning about Marketing and Higher Education. They provide the opportunity for flexible work hours from home.
Management and “Leadership”
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVJuly 11, 2018
Extremely deceptive work environment. Very unprofessional administrative team. No one is really on the same page, and it trickles down. Some of the administrative team members have been with the owners for quite a while, and are able to have their obnoxious and unprofessional behavior overlooked. Working with and for the students is certainly the most rewarding aspect.
Pros
Students
Cons
Administration
Good Starter job
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVJune 5, 2018
It is a good job to start at for your professional experience. You learn a lot, your coworkers are helpful. It is stressful because it is sales based but you get what you need to be successful .
Creative, Competitive, and Cut Throat
ADMISSIONS REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Work at HomeDecember 8, 2017
This job is not for the lazy or weak. Yes you get to work at home, but there is a lot of stress put on you to make goals. The upside is its salary, not commission based so you are paid even if you have a bad week. I really enjoyed the job and the aspects of it, I worked on social media platforms and connected with students that way. It is mainly military student body, so it's fun being in the community. A downside is a lot of people will be rude and hate you/the college which can be frustrating and make you feel like a terrible person. If you have thick skin, this is the job for you! You also will have weekly meetings and will be making numerous phone calls a day so you need a quiet environment and childcare if you have little ones. If you have a competitive spirit, it will come in handy because you will start wanting to compete with your coworkers (in a fun way) and be on top. You do have a great team of coworkers who will be instant friends. Even if you are shy, they are so welcoming and you'll come out of your shell. I had a great experience here and liked the work environment. Another downfall is you don't get any work benefits like insurance or pay raises (until after a certain time of working ~2 years). I recommend, but like I said it's not for everyone! You need to be organized, have effective time management, handle high stress, enjoy sales, and stay positive.
Upper management (not immediate boss) are all so disorganized and don't communicate well. There is a missing piece and I hated getting blamed or having to take the heat for something that wasn't communicated
  more... or addressed.  less
Pros
good team environment, fast paced, social media based
Cons
no insurance, stressful, disorganized
Fun but competitive environment
Student Ambassador Liaison (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVDecember 5, 2017
Martinsburg College is great to work for. They offer a ton of flexibility with your work schedule, and the manager's are all extremely understanding. Unfortunately working from home just wasn't for me. However, if you enjoy some friendly competition amongst coworkers as well as opportunities to travel and meet some amazing people, this is the job for you!
Admissions
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 1, 2017
Working here is like taking your brain to a brick. It is extremely stressful with no benefits and advance those who the management can be friends with and not who does a better job. They take looks too far and if you are not up to par, they let you go even if you ask for help and are constantly working to the best of your ability. This job drains your soul and what you get paid compared to what they make off of you is ridiculous. Don't work here and don't go to school here. It's seriously the worst school and you can't do much with it once you finish a program.
Pros
paid time off
Cons
management and no health care benefits
I love my job
Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  Fort Benning, GASeptember 7, 2017
I love helping people get into school. This job is very rewarding, but I'm always looking for something bigger and better. I have my bachelors degree so I'd like to get paid more than I do now.
Fun and Productive Job
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJuly 12, 2017
This job was so much fun, easy to get along with staff, and just an overall great time. Being an assistant did not feel demeaning, but rather that I was apart of a team!
Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  ColoradoOctober 17, 2016
An independent job, mainly work from home. Easy to build relationships with coworkers. Involves networking in the local community. Military focused company.
Rewarding Industry
Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVJune 3, 2015
Great flexibility with work schedule as you work from home. Demanding hours at times. Small company, so there are some management consistency issues. The industry is wonderful, helping people reach their goals and making changes in their life.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
No healthcare or retirement
The school was amazing. The staff was there to help whenever I needed it.
Studied Medical Office Administration (Former Employee) –  Twentynine Palms, CASeptember 25, 2014
The school was online and is designed to help military wives get an education through the MYCAA scholorship.
Loved my job
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVFebruary 22, 2014
I enjoyed working for Martinsburg College very much. I loved helping student take their next step.