Marukai Corporation Employee Reviews

Unfairness
Stote Associate (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 12, 2019
Lazy young cashiers with attitudes.
Poor management.
Unfairness about work hours.
No additional pays for national holidays.
Uncertainty to future business.
Wrong people for store management.
Mostly part time workers.

This job is more like a heavenly job for young people if they don't want to work hard and take it easy. Customers hate them a lot because of their negligence and attitudes but they do not care and keep such bad attitudes towards the customers. Management, especially section leader or whoever responsible for cashier's section does not do anything to them, just making wrong and unfair work schedules with ignorance and poor communication and leadership skills.

This is never a good place for good workers to work, no job advancement, unfairness, poor management skills, no additional pays for national holidays, lack of benefits, interesting customers, and more besides such young cashiers, even if you are a Japanese.

Parent company does not have clear business strategy. They are more like discount store with poor business attires unfortunately.
Pros
Near home
Cons
Poor management. Unfairness.
I am thankful for the experience.
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 2, 2019
I had a good time with the job. Some of the people that worked there made my job bearable. I rather work for a company that gives more opportunity for growth.
Pros
Very close to home.
Cons
Short breaks and lack of communication with managers and higher-ups.
No chill
Retail Associate/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 2, 2019
Everyone has a goal, a dream. The dream to keep the tofu stocked. Everyone is generally nice. The customers aren't too bad. It was a good place to work.
Pros
20% off tofu
Cons
Not enough tofu
Great first job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 4, 2018
Great place to start off, hours are very flexible if you are a student. I was a cashier so I had to attend customers and keep my work area organized. Management was super friendly, but strict if they had to be.
Not applicable
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIOctober 3, 2018
Nice job
Working hard to this company. Enjoyable
Working with a team.
Working for 5days
Being loyal to my boss
I learned a lot and working hard
Learned a lot of things here
I have INDEED enjoyed working at Marukai so far and I intend to stay longer.
Customer Service/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Cupertino, CAAugust 28, 2018
Weekends and holiday season can be super busy. Sometimes weekdays but not always.

I feel like there might be some miscommunications and confusion in general.

Sometimes one will ONLY notice your faults and not your triumphs so there will be some judgement. I don't take it personally but it can be rather DEMOTIVATING.

It can be stressful working here and many other times laid back. You never know what to expect but it can be very repetitive.
Other than that, the jobs here are somewhat simple to do and working here is great as long as you got a neutral or good attitude about it.
I enjoy the customers we get. Majority of them are so patient and pleasant to help or talk to. They deserve the best.

Sometimes coworkers can be petty and complain about each other which can be rather annoying especially when it interferes with work and refuse to cooperate together. Bickering and nagging ensues.

Aside from some negatives, I know it's super corny but myself working here makes me feel like I have a second family. Not a perfect or a bad one. Just your typical family members rounded up to work alongside each other.

We need upgrades or some sort of renovation. It's a hassle to work with things that slow us down especially when we are busy. And customers have noted how our store looks inside. It's humorous.

Also, silly commentary but the Christmas music is very depressing.
It really puts a downer on you and even the customers have made fun of how sad the Christmas music sounds. They should put more cheery, jolly, or even modern versions. I know it's only for 1 month
  more... per year but they should update it.

And customers constantly complain about how cold it is inside. It's true that some days it is a lot colder than usual inside. It can be a hassle when your fingers start to numb and every movement kind of hurts. Not always though! Be prepared if you want to work here or shop here.

Being at the lane near the entrance can SOMETIMES suck especially when it is rainy and windy. The wind blows the rain onto your face and sometimes the customer when checking out. That is very bad.
Pros
Flexible, Fun, Friendly, Laid back, Good customers and coworkers
Cons
Often understaffed, misunderstanding, slight favoritism, outdated, subpar registers and software systems
Over worked
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAAugust 20, 2018
They work 7 days a week they expect you to be a robot not to be rascist but the asian people you work with there look at u like u dumb when u ask for help
Good weekend job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  San DiegoAugust 5, 2018
This is job for people who like to do simple and minimal tasks to help people get their basic shopping needs done. Its easy but can get boring. It is up to the worker to keep themselves busy and to help customers.
Average Job
Stock Person (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAMay 20, 2018
It was stocking position. Making sure the store looked clean and organized making it easier for the customers to shop. It was a part time. They provided a 401K program.
Pros
Employee Discount
Workplace with lots of potential
Marukai Corporation Retail Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 23, 2018
Days can be stressful, Days can be an environment that is tolerable.
You can learn the ropes of the job quickly, but grabbing a job here is competitive and would often require learning japanese or snag this job. Mostly Asian oriented and clients mostly speak japanese which can cause stress if there isn't anyone to translate for you.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Few useful benefits, Stick to Medicare
Fun work place
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 25, 2018
It was a place where everyone is very friendly with each other and provide the best costumer service as possible. Their priority is to make sure every costumer is satisfy once they leave.
productive work place, with nice customers and employees
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Gardena, CAJanuary 31, 2018
every thing is easy once learned, produce code will be the hardest to learn but once you have that down then every thing is a breeze, management is nice and willing to work with you, hardest part of the job would be learning produce codes, but co-workers make up for hard times
Pros
no dress code
Cons
too much downtime
Sucks, horrible work environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 1, 2017
Honestly working here was the most depressing time of my life. Its so slow and the store ia full of a bunch of whiny gossipy older women that have nothing better to do than tattle tale on you when you do something that they dont like. Management is horrible and does nothing to stop this they just look the other. Unless this is like a last restort dont work here.
Great example of poor management
Associate Merchandise Buyer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA 92111September 26, 2017
Upon meeting the management, it is quite easy to see that they lack professionalism. They are often incapable of training for many positions and I feel as though the managers themselves need to be trained how to manage a store.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Short breaks, lack of benefits, poor management
employees we work hard as a team.as a manager working with all dept in the store.the hardest part was the long hours 65to 70hours a week
Manager (Former Employee) –  Gardena, CASeptember 20, 2017
employees we work as a team.as a manager enjoyed working with all the dept.in the store.the hardest park of working at marukai was the long hours about 65 to 70 hours per week
Pros
ben working at 1620w redondo beach blvd. since 1980.got to meet alot of peaple
Cons
last owners put me working 7 days a week
Fast Paced
Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  Gardena, CAAugust 30, 2017
The company is always evolving, and often not sure on which direction. The company is very unorganized, and this is due to constant change in Presidents in company.
Pros
Employees
Cons
no stability
Fast paced work enviornment
Store Stocker/ Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 26, 2017
Work was fast paced. There is always something to do departments will sometimes help one another out. I liked the people I worked with management was too.
Pros
discounted lunches
Cons
sometimes not enough time is given to complete the task at hand
Productive fast paced environment.
Balboa Ave - Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 21, 2017
A typical day and work would be a bit slow in the mornings but, during the afternoon it would be fast paced.

I've learned more about customer service and how to attend customers needs, being able to answer any of their questions.

Management wise was a bit all over the place, most of the managers wouldn't sequently enjoy doing their jobs let alone want to help customers.

Hard part of the job I can't really say the least, its been very content in my case. I've been able to enjoy working there.

Most enjoyable part was being able to build relationships with your customers, having regulars been able to know who you are and what your about in the work industry.
Pros
Short breaks
Cons
work benefits
Friendly environment but repetitive work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CASeptember 15, 2016
I learned strong interpersonal skills working here. Being the last person the customer sees, a cashier must be pleasant and do their job quickly and accurately. However, accuracy is more important at the end of the day than speed. The general work environment was positive and co-workers and managers were friendly, but micromanaged workplaces are not always the most effective.
Pros
Friendly staff, flexible hours, stable job, good experience
Cons
Poor raise, managing style, non-versatile position, favoritism among some employees
management
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Gardena, CASeptember 27, 2015
This company bough the old the company two years ago. This company is laying off 46 employees so far. Special our age (more than 60 years -old and cutting the benefit.)
Management- the importance time, money and people.
The employees will work hard if the company treat right. Listening the customers. (what they want to do or what kind of service).
Pros
uniforms
Cons
health care