Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital Employee Reviews

Great People, Vision, and Forward Thinking
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 10, 2018
Great place to work with a supportive and collaborative staff. Would recommend working here. Mary Free Bed is a fantastic rehab hospital with cutting edge technology. They always put patients first.
Pros
Benefits, work life balance, diverse staff
Cons
Organization is growing so quickly
Okay place to work
IT (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MI 49503September 6, 2018
The company itself doesn't seem to be a great place to work. IT is better, but has very poor leadership. Advancement is only available if you are in an entry level position.
Pros
Nice people
Benefits
Don't waste your time
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 3, 2018
It's a good place to get your foot in the door but don't look for warm fuzzies or loyalty to employees who put their heart and soul into the job. Recognition is non existent and it is very hard to move up.
Cons
Poor staffing management
People are passionate about patients, everyone complains about productivity
STUDENT PHYSICAL THERAPIST (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 31, 2018
Turnover as of late is pretty darn high at MFB. It also seems that most of the workers are recent grads that are trying to get in their ten years of public service by working for a non-for profit. People are passionate about patients, but there is unending daily complaints of productivity demands and fears of decreasing benefits.
Management needs to change.
Authorization & Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 23, 2018
I had always been proud to say that I was a part of Mary Free Bed. On the outside they project many positive outcomes. Unfortunately on the inside management feels compelled to put their staff in fear of loosing their jobs in order to increase productivity.
Furthermore, they continuously downsize their staff to meet budget. They increase your responsibilities and then put you on a 90 day PIP after you’ve been at MFB for years. This is the standard practice to weed out older/high paid staff and replace them with younger, cheaper, less experience employees.
Management only cares about their bottom line, not their employees happiness. They use a micromanagement style that consistently adds stress daily.
Management is not approachable or trustworthy when issues arise. Staff does not feel they can go to upper management for resolution as they cannot remain impartial.
I just don’t understand why they hold onto poor managers and continue to loose loyal hard working employees to downsizing or poor working conditions. Many previous employees continue to report dissatisfaction to HR with no resolution foreseen!
Pros
Great Hard working/Professional Co-Workers
Cons
Poor Management
Fast paced, good experience, low pay
Therapy (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 22, 2018
The therapists are top notch, very caring and hard working. Seeing patients get better is amazing. However, nurses aides are understaffed; newer ones are hard working with good attitudes, but others need to really be pushed to do their jobs. We have to beg for basic supplies, computers freeze continually during the day, productivity expectation are unrealistic, career development is non-existent due to budget or time constraints, processes stress maximizing insurance payment and not patient need, more medically complex patients are admitted who should be in ICU or long term care and pay is very low compared to like organizations. Concerns are brought to management each year, but nothing changes.
Pros
co-workers, patients, schedule flexibility
Cons
Low pay, productivity expectations, lack of resources, no career development
A Lot of Caring and Professional people.....
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 23, 2018
Was hoping to "fit in" in the Sub-Acute Rehab Floor..but after several weeks, found out that it was not for me. Met and worked with some Awesome Professionals who are Great at what they do and I saw the difference they made in patients lives. I wish continued success to Mary Free Bed and the Staff.
Pros
Making a Difference
Cons
Not for everyone
Good place to work if you’re interested in going into the medical field
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 3, 2018
I work within the Housekeeping department. I love the interaction with the patients and seeing the progress they make, however, if you’re not in scrubs or a white jacket you get absolutely no respect from the other employees. The pay for the Housekeeping department is horrible, you can make more at Meijer and most likely get more respect from your coworkers. If you’re looking for experience within a health care environment then this would be a good place to start.
Pros
Not Many At All
Cons
Pay and disrespected
no opportunity for advancement and low compensation
Business Development (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 2, 2018
unless you have an advanced degree like a doctorate, there is no career path or opportunity for advancement. Compensation is lower than comparable positions at other places.
Medical Group Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 28, 2018
Its a place to work where people know your name, managers look for advancement for employees and you have opportunity to grow. I have spent most of my career here and have truly enjoyed the opportunity. Your co workers are like family.
High quality place to work for.
Nurse Assistant, Monitor tech (Current Employee) –  Rapids, NYJanuary 15, 2018
Good place to work for, I have worked for Mary free bed hospital for many Years, I recommend this hospital to anyone looking for a job, Productive and fun place to work for.
Clustered Mess
Patient Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 21, 2017
Mary Free Bed does amazing things for the public. That being said, most of the lower-ended employees are treated as if they are expendable and management is scarce. So far, I've seen 5 management positions just get cut without explanation. The bottom line is more important to the higher-ups than they let on and it is pretty obvious to most. I've witnessed positions gain new titles just because the old titles were making more money at different organizations and rather than match the growing salaries, MFB chose to just create a new position that didn't have as high of an average salary. People appointed to "lead" positions treat it as if it's a privilege in which they now have to do less while getting paid more. Eyes roll and sighs escape any time a problem is brought to one of them.

In summary, there is virtually no leadership or guidance, and the salaries are lower than most will offer.
Pros
Pto
Cons
No leadership/Low salaries/NO ADVANCEMENT
great
Student PTA (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 13, 2017
great place for all. a typical day at work. Anyone would be lucky to work there very enjoyable and friendly environment and competitive atmosphere
love the outcome of patients
Patient Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 4, 2017
i love the outcome of the patients but as far as working there it is not healthy and always working short staff and you keep getting dumped on. Most co workers are burned out.
Pros
get to know patients and see where they start and at the finish line
potential to be an amazing job
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 28, 2017
It seems like a great place to work with the exception that they gave you too many unstable patients and it was just too unsafe. NOT rehab patients. half of your assignment were patients that belong in ICU not rehab.
Pros
Most coworkers are nice.
Cons
techs were either fantastic or lazy & didnt do much work. always assigned too many patients
Fast paced work place
Lead Environmental Services Tech (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MI 49503September 28, 2017
This is overall a wonderful place to work, my department however wasn't the best place to work and there were no options for me to transfer within the company.
Solid Place to Work
Business Office Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 20, 2017
Mary Free Bed not only has a great reputation in the West Michigan community, but even among the staff- it's been a great experience over all. Lots of employee incentive programs, rewards, and Employee Appreciation Days are frequent. I've been here for almost a year and still have yet to hear any kind of complaint about working here. The management is something I've really appreciated because I feel like they really do strive to make it a better environment for both their staff and their patients.
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 1, 2017
I want to be a care giver because I am sociable person with a natural capability of providing continuous care. Empathy is embedded in my personality and I am good listener.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Caregiver
Awesome at first
Employee (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 29, 2017
I love love loved my job at Mary Free Bed at first. I loved working with and talking to all of the patients and their families while at work and still to this day, that is my favorite part of this job. My biggest reason for wanting to leave Mary Free Bed is the department to department interaction. It is very inconsistent. Anytime you call a different department for help or with a question, they basically tell you it is not their job. Even security is not willing to help sometimes. There are also so many changes going on in Mary Free Bed. Not only with the renovations but also with each department. Each week you come in, there is a new job description for you. The managers are awesome and try to accommodate everyone. It just gets old not knowing what will happen from week to week and kind of being stuck on your own when a question or situation arises and no one is there to help.
Pros
Awesome managers, flexible schedules
Cons
inconsistency
They ask a lot from you.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 29, 2017
I would not recommend it unless you want to be stressing. It's not what it used to be. Pay is no good and they look at you to do everything for everyone. It's more customer service then actual work in a fast pace environment.
Pros
Vacation
Cons
No paid lunch

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

2.0Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight