Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Good place to work if you’re interested in going into the medical field
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 3, 2018
I work within the Housekeeping department. I love the interaction with the patients and seeing the progress they make, however, if you’re not in scrubs or a white jacket you get absolutely no respect from the other employees. The pay for the Housekeeping department is horrible, you can make more at Meijer and most likely get more respect from your coworkers. If you’re looking for experience within a health care environment then this would be a good place to start.
Pros
Not Many At All
Cons
Pay and disrespected
no opportunity for advancement and low compensation
Business Development (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 2, 2018
unless you have an advanced degree like a doctorate, there is no career path or opportunity for advancement. Compensation is lower than comparable positions at other places.
Medical Group Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 28, 2018
Its a place to work where people know your name, managers look for advancement for employees and you have opportunity to grow. I have spent most of my career here and have truly enjoyed the opportunity. Your co workers are like family.
High quality place to work for.
Nurse Assistant, Monitor tech (Current Employee) –  Rapids, NYJanuary 15, 2018
Good place to work for, I have worked for Mary free bed hospital for many Years, I recommend this hospital to anyone looking for a job, Productive and fun place to work for.
Clustered Mess
Patient Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 21, 2017
Mary Free Bed does amazing things for the public. That being said, most of the lower-ended employees are treated as if they are expendable and management is scarce. So far, I've seen 5 management positions just get cut without explanation. The bottom line is more important to the higher-ups than they let on and it is pretty obvious to most. I've witnessed positions gain new titles just because the old titles were making more money at different organizations and rather than match the growing salaries, MFB chose to just create a new position that didn't have as high of an average salary. People appointed to "lead" positions treat it as if it's a privilege in which they now have to do less while getting paid more. Eyes roll and sighs escape any time a problem is brought to one of them.

In summary, there is virtually no leadership or guidance, and the salaries are lower than most will offer.
Pros
Pto
Cons
No leadership/Low salaries/NO ADVANCEMENT
great
Student PTA (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 13, 2017
great place for all. a typical day at work. Anyone would be lucky to work there very enjoyable and friendly environment and competitive atmosphere
love the outcome of patients
Patient Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 4, 2017
i love the outcome of the patients but as far as working there it is not healthy and always working short staff and you keep getting dumped on. Most co workers are burned out.
Pros
get to know patients and see where they start and at the finish line
potential to be an amazing job
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 28, 2017
It seems like a great place to work with the exception that they gave you too many unstable patients and it was just too unsafe. NOT rehab patients. half of your assignment were patients that belong in ICU not rehab.
Pros
Most coworkers are nice.
Cons
techs were either fantastic or lazy & didnt do much work. always assigned too many patients
Fast paced work place
Lead Environmental Services Tech (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MI 49503September 28, 2017
This is overall a wonderful place to work, my department however wasn't the best place to work and there were no options for me to transfer within the company.
Solid Place to Work
Business Office Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 20, 2017
Mary Free Bed not only has a great reputation in the West Michigan community, but even among the staff- it's been a great experience over all. Lots of employee incentive programs, rewards, and Employee Appreciation Days are frequent. I've been here for almost a year and still have yet to hear any kind of complaint about working here. The management is something I've really appreciated because I feel like they really do strive to make it a better environment for both their staff and their patients.

Want to know more about Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital?

Ask a question
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 1, 2017
I want to be a care giver because I am sociable person with a natural capability of providing continuous care. Empathy is embedded in my personality and I am good listener.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Caregiver
Awesome at first
Employee (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 29, 2017
I love love loved my job at Mary Free Bed at first. I loved working with and talking to all of the patients and their families while at work and still to this day, that is my favorite part of this job. My biggest reason for wanting to leave Mary Free Bed is the department to department interaction. It is very inconsistent. Anytime you call a different department for help or with a question, they basically tell you it is not their job. Even security is not willing to help sometimes. There are also so many changes going on in Mary Free Bed. Not only with the renovations but also with each department. Each week you come in, there is a new job description for you. The managers are awesome and try to accommodate everyone. It just gets old not knowing what will happen from week to week and kind of being stuck on your own when a question or situation arises and no one is there to help.
Pros
Awesome managers, flexible schedules
Cons
inconsistency
They ask a lot from you.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 29, 2017
I would not recommend it unless you want to be stressing. It's not what it used to be. Pay is no good and they look at you to do everything for everyone. It's more customer service then actual work in a fast pace environment.
Pros
Vacation
Cons
No paid lunch
Excellent Facility
Speech-Language Pathologist - PRN (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 5, 2017
Worked PRN. Fair pay and supportive environment. Most enjoyable was the large staff to interact with and share experiences. Modest flexibility with schedule.
Loved working at MFB,
Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 24, 2017
The environment is professional and relaxed at the same time. Managers/senior leadership have an open door policy and if they aren't available, they can be reached via email, etc. There were several instances where things felt a little disorganized but things managed to get done correctly.
Pros
Awesome team environment, positive organizational culture, rewarding place to work.
Cons
N/a
I liked this job
Clinical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 23, 2017
Since it was a Day Treatment Program, the day went by quickly, We saw our clients M-Thurs and Friday was our paperwork day. When the Day program was eliminated, there was not a job in place for me
Was a volunteer for job shadowing
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 3, 2017
Enjoyed my time here and being able to interact with the various wings of the hospital. A great facility in Grand Rapids, and furthered my knowledge and passion for this field.
Great Place to Work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 2, 2017
This has been my first and only nursing job and I have had an excellent experience. The facility is fantastic and the staff is exceptional. I would highly recommend choosing this hospital for employment.
Work Culture
Executive Assistant/Admin Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 15, 2017
There is nothing like this wonderful work environment. I absolutely love working for this company. There is nothing like working with a team whose purpose is to Restore Hope and Freedom
Patient oriented, innovative, low wages
COTA (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MI 49503February 13, 2017
I love the culture and vision of the company. They value employee input and encourage growth. Really the only downside is wages are lower than area average.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

2.0Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight