Maryhaven Center of Hope Employee Reviews

cook
cook (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYApril 6, 2018
I enjoyed this position. It was a job where you felt great about going. People who i worked with were okay, but the kids who i cooked for made each day enjoyable.
The guys
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYFebruary 26, 2018
I love working with the individuals very much. They are an inspiring population to work with. Working with them creates this empathetic atmosphere. Although my time with Maryhaven has taught me many virtues, I am to look elsewhere for employment as the pay is not good enough for life on Long Island.
Good place to gain experience
MEDICAL CASEWORKER (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYJanuary 30, 2018
I liked it. I worked there while I was in college as a medical caseworker, and it's definitely a loving culture, and very diverse. You get to learn how to care for others, and be a help to those who are Developmentally Disabled. It was awesome.
Pros
culture, fulfilling, coworkers, management, security, benefits, discounts
Cons
dealing with the population can be stressful, but it's not so bad once you get used to it
fun
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYJanuary 30, 2018
It is alot of work but working with the right people make it worth it. Individuals are all different. But all have things that make them special. Alot of hours are available.
Direct Care Counselor
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson Station, NYNovember 27, 2017
• Served as a Transportation Aide to transport mentally and physically handicapped clients.
• Assisted individuals on and off the bus and secured wheelchairs for transit.
• As a Direct Care Counselor, escorted clients on trips within the community. Helped them interact socially and complete daily living skills.
• Dealt with clients’ behavior issues, when they occureed.
• Was SKIP & AMAP certified.
Rewarding job
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYNovember 2, 2017
Although things can get hectic where I worked; I still found it extremely rewarding. Very hands on. This job can be stressful at times. Pay could be a little better but seems fair since they increased it.
Pros
rewarding
Cons
Stressful at times
Not a great place
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Patchogue, NYOctober 18, 2017
I have had much better employers. Did not feel like I was a part of the team at any point during my period of employment. Felt like they were taking advantage of my work ethic.
Hard work
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYOctober 13, 2017
A typical day includes taking care of your assigned individuals. This means clothing, feeding, bathing and making sure they're entertained. The job also includes chores like laundry, cleaning dished, making beds, and basic household tasks. It was a very hard but rewarding jobs.
Pros
Relationships with the individuals
Cons
short breaks
Best job ever
Receptionist/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYOctober 7, 2017
Maryhaven was home but needed more pay. I was receptionist and DSP, great staff, caring clients and families. Maryhaven I would go back in heart beat but as front desk only. This what my degree in. Great place to work.
Great place to start career in human services
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYSeptember 30, 2017
Come to work, clock in. Team meeting to go over pressing information. Report to post, work on specified skill. Take guys on outing. Return for dinner. Work on PM goals. Fill paper work.
Great health benefits, horribly low pay
Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson Station, NYSeptember 19, 2017
Salary is far below the average for my job, however, the health benefits are exceptional. Advancement is limited and supervisor is overbearing. Too much micro managing.
Pros
Health, Dental and Vision Benefits. Tuition reimbursement.
Cons
Low salary, tension in the department.
Maryhaven
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYSeptember 9, 2017
helping individuals with mental disability and assist nurses and doctors. Staffs at Maryhaven are extremely friendly. Sometimes it can be stressful due to high patient-to-staff ratio.
Productive fun environment
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson Station, NYSeptember 6, 2017
Working with disabled children and occasionally adults was always interesting never a dull moment you can really get connected and a great report with these people. The only bad thing we're when you had to get physical because of some of their behaviors, but they couldn't always control them
Pros
Communication skills and always excitement
Cons
Short breaks, sometimes got injured
Management needs improvemnet
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYAugust 29, 2017
management does not get on the employees like they should. There is a lot of mistreatment to consumers in the work place not enough care of the consumers. A lot more gossip and drama in the work place.
Ok
Activities coordinator (Current Employee) –  Riverhead, NYAugust 24, 2017
Good job to have nice place to work good staff take care of employees flexible not enough pay for work that is done good management training is extensive.
Productive and great experience
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Baiting Hollow, NYAugust 1, 2017
Help my clients out with daily activities, and help them find a sense of independence. Taking them out on trips and enjoy different environments and do different task with help form staff.
Easy Work Load
Housekeeping Aide/Linen Aide/ Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson Station, NYJuly 29, 2017
Not too busy because of the work load.
Worked more independently than as a team.

Work Load Routine was too easy.

Too drained out because of overtime hours 6 days per week.
Pros
Breaks
Cons
Pay
Lovely place to work
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYJune 8, 2017
Plenty of benefits and time off working for CHS. Would recommend to anyone. Not cut out for everyone. Violent patients at times and can be very stressful and physical.
Working at Maryhaven Was a Rewarding Experience
Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Holbrook, NYJune 5, 2017
Working with the individuals can be very rewarding. You develop relationships that last years. The work can be stressful, however when you have a strong team to support you, and management who understand the job and have worked as direct care themselves it helps tremendously. I found the Day Habs in particular to have this sort of support network. The Day Habs also have hours which work well for those who have school age children at home. The medical benefits are great too.
Pros
flexible schedule, supportive environment, rewarding work, great benefits
Cons
difficult work, low pay, not for everybody
Its not a place to work,
Direct Care Council (Former Employee) –  Yaphank, NYMay 11, 2017
They don't take care of there workers.They made them work long hours. because no one wants to work for the pay.They tell you one thing & they made you do something different.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Maryhaven Center of Hope. Our community is ready to answer.