Maryland Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

too much pressure from very top management
Customer Agent (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDApril 19, 2019
you have to remain level headed here

top management from glen burnie and governor larry hogan makes this place less exiting to work, so many customers but less employees

management puts weird policy before asking employees, employees suffers totally working here

your time coming in is fixed but when you leave you will never know, sometimes you leave at 5:15 someday even 7
Pros
kidding me right?
Cons
everything
A typical day at work
Business System Analyst (Current Employee) –  Hyattsville, MD 20783April 11, 2019
A typical day at my work, usually it depends on which state of the project lifecycle I am involved. But, typically, about half of the day it dedicated to meeting and driving engagement with various people.
The other half on analyzing data and preparing for the meeting in the other half. As long as you're on learning mode, you learn something new every day. I would describe the workplace culture as teamwork and fairness. The hardest part of the job, any job has difficult or unpleasant part, all I do is to keep a positive attitude. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with people, reading between the lines. Finding what are the issues they're trying to solve, and finding the best way to solve them.
Pros
Learning something new every day
Cons
Time
Good Job for growth and advancement
On-Site Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 9, 2019
My time at MD DOT has been great. I have gained additional skills and experiences and overall my career journey is off to a great start. I know I can grow and expand within the Maryland Department of Transportation and I plan to do so.
Solid, steady place to work
Director of Communications (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 4, 2019
Many of the technical professionals can have an exceptional career in this dynamic environment. The communications needs are 24/7 to match the operations and offer many learning opportunities.
Very professional and stable job with great benefits
Customer Agent (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDApril 4, 2019
Fast paced environment that kept me busy and made time go by a little too quickly
Office setting job environment so it was a comfortable change for me from the work that I am used to.
Pros
Great benefits, stable work schedule, good pay
Cons
Some extremely frustrated and overwhelmed customers, had to figure alot out on my own without any guidance due to understaffing
State Agency Headquarters
Program Mgr, Rail Safety State Safety Oversight (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDMarch 25, 2019
Large State Agency Headquarters that basically set the policies and procedures for State Highway Administration, Ports of Maryland, MTA, MDTA, MD Aviation, MVA and Secretary of Transportation office.
Productive and fast-paced place to work. Fun place to work though. Only for workers that can handle stress effectively.
CUSTOMER AGENT 1 (Former Employee) –  Walnut Hill, MDFebruary 19, 2019
Fun place to work, good management, team members are like family. Must have the ability to multi-task and work in a very fast-paced environment. A stressful place to work, but fun and enjoyable. I used to really look forward to go to work everyday there. A place for people that can work hard, but relaxed and beautiful working atmosphere.
Pros
Free Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner, free birthday cakes, occasional free snacks and sweets from team members
Cons
Short lunch breaks, few public holidays
No Balance
ITS Technician Traffic (Former Employee) –  Baltimore County, MDFebruary 14, 2019
overworked underpaid and not to mention working in some of the most dangerous conditions. training is insufficient every one holds onto information so they can feel needed. management will lie so get everything in writing
Very relaxed and friendly place to work
Customer Agent (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 8, 2019
Working there felt like a big family whenever you needed help with achieving something there was a lot of support from everyone I would definitely have loved to go on as a permanent employee
Pros
Keeping MVA business done without waiting
Cons
It’s not easy to snag a permanent position
Run by political appointees
Customer Agent Supervisor/DLA III Lead Worker (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDNovember 28, 2018
Agency is run by appointees who never worked in a branch office.
I have nothing good to say about the administration. They look out for themselves and let the hammer fall down as far away from them as they can.
Mangagement created a hostile, unfriendly work environment. Coworkers were great.
Certification Officer (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDNovember 16, 2018
Management created inconsistent policies that were made up to fit existing situation that were at times direct opposite of training. The actual job was great.
Good, fast paced but low salaries.
Customer Agent II (Current Employee) –  Beltsville, MDNovember 10, 2018
The agency could retain good employees if only it would increase salaries.
Better training needed, recognize personal strengths and input. Develop better reviews and appraisals.
Office Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 22, 2018
If you have a background in customer service, engineering, environmental issues, finance, road construction, highway maintenance, this is the place for you. Be ready to be out in the community making presentations about various projects involving road, construction or any transportation issue that will impact the city residents.
Pros
Flexibility to move learn and advance.
Cons
Serving as an at-will employee.
Very family oriented... people get a job from the State and never leave
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 18, 2018
I loved working with the State. But having children and maintaining living conditions the money was not enough.

They used to offer price of living increase but stopped that a long time ago.

Used to offer bonuses stopped that a long time ago.

Benefits and Retirement options in my opinion is the only positive working for the State government.
Pros
Working downtown, benefits
Cons
Not busy enough doesn't offer daycare no more cost of living and ni more bonuses
Government Agency
Team Leader (DOT Executive IV) (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDOctober 6, 2018
Transportation Business. Typical day work is in a office settings with daily conference meetings. Telework is encourage one day a week. Business like atmosphere.
Pros
healthcare
Cons
career advancement
The Homeland Security Division at MVA was Phenomenal
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MD 21062September 26, 2018
The Homeland Security Division at MVA was Phenomenal and very rewarding. The Investigators are awesome and very knowledgeable. The hardest part of the job was say goodbye at the end of the contract.
Pros
Working in a productive environment
Cons
Contract Position
busy
Administrative Analyst (Current Employee) –  MarylandSeptember 6, 2018
Stressful can be more training. Some people are nice. Location and Parking is great. Office space is great. Hardest part of the job is very stressful.
loved working here
Title and Licensing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 28, 2018
renewal of vehicle tags and registration title work for car dealers manage cash draw tag return learned how to title a car use the blue book for car value you meet people from all over off on holidays
Pros
holidays off fun place to work
Cons
no overtime
Overall
Customer Agent II (Former Employee) –  Essex, MDAugust 13, 2018
Great atmosphere, Management is great. I had no issues when I worked for them. I loved my coworkers they were like family to me. I left for more growth and to learn different things.
Pros
Interesting place to work
Cons
Have to stay until all customers are serviced
Okay Place to Be
Procurement Administrator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 8, 2018
It's a state job, compensation isn't the greatest and they want you to jump through hurdles for less than jump through hurdle pay. Best bet is to try to maximize your salary before working with the state of MD, once hired there aren't increases unless approved by the governor. Prior to 2018 there hasn't been an employee cost f living adjustment in over 5 years.
Pros
job security, free public transit
Cons
office drama, power strung management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Maryland Department of Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.