Maryland Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great to learn but not to grow
Systems Architect (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDJuly 21, 2018
Can be deceptively laid back. Worked with the PMO office in Hanover, MD and they hired a green horn to help manage complex IT projects. Needless to say, a lot of seasoned PMs either left or transferred out due to her incompetency. Would not recommend this place. Work life balance is not existent unless you are upper management.
Cons
Favoritism and incompetent management
Intern (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 8, 2018
I worked here as an intern and was treated as an equal member of the team. I really enjoyed my time in the Maryland Aviation Administration, and my mentor for the internship helped me make lasting connections in many fields.
Pros
Friendly coworkers
Cons
Sometimes there was traffic at the airport
Cool Place to work
Facility Maintenance Technician I (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDJune 20, 2018
If the pay went with the work this would be an excellent place to work. The environment is great and the resident manager is wonderful the pay is the only downside.
Pros
Great Manager
Cons
Pay
MDOT is a very stressfull place to work
Executive Assistant/Correspondence Manager (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MD 21076April 5, 2018
All of the administrative support staff are expected to go above and beyond thier job duties without proper compensation in thier salary.
Management is not offered to think for themselves, they must give in to the political aspects of the Executive staff.
Pros
Health Benefits
Cons
Highly Political Office
Just Like Family
Toll Collector (Current Employee) –  Newburg, MDFebruary 2, 2018
worked overnight ( 11pm-7am)
clock In is Promptly at 1045pm
Management is stern but caring
work culture is very family oriented
the most enjoyable part of the job is making a Customer Smile
Hardest Part of the job is honestly just showing up. Everyone is willing to do there part and beyond
Bad pay
State highway worker (Current Employee) –  Parkton, MDJanuary 31, 2018
The pay is very bad here. They start you out at $13.50 an hour and it's just not enough to risk your life everyday. You can keep climbing the chain to make more money but it doesn't really go up much
Enjoyable job
Toll Collector (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 10, 2018
On daily basis. I collected the toll from motorist. Count the money collected at then end of my shift. The job help me to have experience working under pressure and multi task, as I attended to average of 1000 vehicles per 8 hours shift. Team work . Outside job . Met a lot of people
Pros
Met a lot of people
Cons
Outside job
Unorthodox systems programming methodology
IT Contractor (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDJanuary 3, 2018
I worked in Information Technology, and some of the short-cuts they take are appalling. Get it done as quickly as possible is the rule. This includes the motor vehicle and driver license databases. Not good. To add insult to injury, the manager is verbally abusive. I have worked in Information Technology for over 30 years, and I have never seen anything like this.
Pros
(Super) fast-paced environment
Cons
Verbally abusive boss, very sloppy environment
Stable Employment
Agency Procurement Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 2, 2018
The benefits are great with some of the best health care providers in the industry. Ample paid time off and all holidays allow for a well balanced work/life schedule..
a good working career
Bus Operator Field Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 2, 2017
Working here is a career and a very good job the hardest part of this job you have got to have good customer service skills because you will deal with some irate passengers from time to time
Security
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 29, 2017
Job security is the number one key. Benefits and workplace culture is the most enjoyable part of the work place. Small groups of units can make a huge difference.
Employee engagement is a major goal for MDOT.
Facilities Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDJuly 25, 2017
Employee recognition has provided off the chart results. Authentic appreciation is the key missing component and knowing how employees want to be shown appreciation is critical. So that's the key to real appreciation of your employees.
Pros
I beleive that MDOT understand employees and shown appreciation for the work they do.
Cons
I receive some gift but I never hear any praise, no one stops to see how I’m doing.
Poor working conditions and poor management style.
Nurse Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDJuly 9, 2017
Nice staff but poor management. No rewards for good performance. No career advancement opportunities. People smoke all over the building therefore, makes it a high risk environment
Pros
job security, better healthcare benefits.
Cons
micromanaging of time and everything. Smoking all ove the building.
Senior Management
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDJuly 6, 2017
A typical work day, is to watch your back!

Senior Mgmt would gun for you if you spoke up against things that were not right. I've learned to trust no one. If a senior manager get's mad at you, they will try and discredit you until you leave the company or set you up. Working people and working mid managers have no voice. Nepotism, favoritism is prevalent.

The Secretary of Transportation is blind to what is going on in the various modes. He really should talk with the working people to get a clear understanding.
Pros
Security
Cons
Disconnect with working employees. You feel trapped and dont know who to trust
Political environment
SPECIAL ASSISTANT TO THE ASSISTANT SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDJune 12, 2017
Allowed to work independently to accomplish goals
Learned various components of workforce development
Awesome management
Professional environment
Losing the position because of a new government administration was the most difficult part of the position
Helping people find employment in State government was the most enjoyable part of the position
Great place to work if you don't mind being micro-managed
Customer Agent I (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDJune 5, 2017
It is a great place to work because it gets your foot in the door for a state job which you are allowed to possibly transfer to after 6 months which is the minimum time for probation but in order to do that you have to be trained on everything first which is hard to do if they are short staffed for all areas.
Pros
All holidays off, good benefits
Cons
Micro managed, never told what you did wrong
Not enough work to do throughout the day
COMPUTER OPERATIONS SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDMarch 18, 2017
The job is just a job. Its definitely a great entry-level job to get in the door with the State. I do not like the work schedule because you are considered essential and I do not understand why. Also you will never have weekends off because its a 365, 24/7 environment. Besides the schedule its a great starter job. Its not challenging to me nor is it boosting my resume but I will deal with it until something else comes along.
Pros
Stability
Cons
work schedule, Not enough work throughout the day
Not a good place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 9, 2016
Not a great place for advancement. The only people that advance are the ones that are in the "click" with management. It doesn't matter if you come to work everyday, on time and are dependable. If your not in their mix, you go nowhere.
Pros
no pros
Cons
they discriminate
Family oriented
MBE Officer I (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDNovember 7, 2016
Family oriented and good company to work for. Just wish they paid what you're worth. It is almost as though you are being penalized for not being with the company for a long time and not glorified for being a talented employee.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Salary grades for specific jobs
Engaging, fun place to work
Senior Writer/Public Affairs Manager (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDJuly 6, 2016
Enjoy working in top tier of state government, on transportation issues that matter to the public. Strong leadership makes for a worthwhile work experience.
Pros
Input on major projects

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Maryland Department of Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.1InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

1.8Career Opportunities

1.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight