Maryland Live! Casino Employee Reviews

Hypocritical & bureaucratic staff
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDOctober 26, 2018
Slow management who constant acting unprofessionally. They were hypocrites in regards to how they carried themselves and fired and suspended people such as myself for saying and doing things other people got away with on a regular basis.

They fired me today for going to restroom when NO ONE was at the bar. A bartender did the same thing multiple times earlier in the week.

There is a bartender during the evening shift who has twice been suspended for sending unsolicited nudes to waitresses, yet I was fired for confusing someone's ethnicity on top of going to the restroom. Don't work here.

The seniority system will make you miserable.
Pros
Food
Cons
Everything else
First and LAST TIME I'll work at a casino
Main Banker (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDNovember 12, 2018
its no balance between personal life and work life.
department is always short staffed
management knows NOTHING about doing their own job other than how to give write ups and fire people.
Asking for help when you're not quite sure about something is like pulling teeth because they always huff and puff when having to do their job.
Hardest part about the job is having to deal with rude management and some rude customers without killing anyone in the process.
The most enjoyable part is the time before leaving for work and getting off work.
Pros
Discounts, coworkers
Cons
pay hourly, management
MD Live
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDNovember 5, 2018
In my time at MD Live my experience was mix of good and bad. Firstly, if you're willing to sacrifice a lot of your social life then this is a great job. They mandate employees when shifts aren't covered, the supervisors (well, ones when I worked there) were good for the most part but the managers of the beverage department were a joke. Lots of empty promises made about promotions to bartenders. There is NOT ENOUGH stress about keeping bars clean and Im going to stop that right there. Favoritism is a huge issue there. Again I have been gone for a few years now so it may have changed.
Pros
Great tips, fun environment.
Cons
Terrible management.
Great job if you can deal with a lot of angry clients
Relationship Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDSeptember 8, 2018
The life of a Relationship Marketing Manager is fabulous. Really, it's pretty much exactly the way it is depicted in Las Vegas movies. A typical day in the office would consist of having a few meals with my clients, converse with new high rollers, call my players to invite them to an upcoming show, booking hotels, limos, and just being there. Now that's during my work week, but on any given weekend I'll usually catch a football or baseball game with my players, go to a show, golf, or be back at the casino for a special private event. Either way I'm just networking and socializing and getting paid a nice salary plus a bonus on top of it. This may seem fun and granted it was for a while but the lifestyle truly begins to take a toll on you. The constant complaining of addicted gamblers hassling you for compensation or "free play" for losing money gets exhausting. That on top of late nights, constant appearances at networking events and parties, major holidays spent at the casino and not at home with my family all start taking its toll on my mental and physical health. But the main turn off in my opinion is the workplace culture - the fact that upper management would let any player who was considered a "high roller" do as they pleased and degrade and insult the staff members is disgusting. To come to work and realize that you can get cursed out and treated horribly just because John Doe is down $100K or even $100 in Blackjack is disheartening. So if you can roll with the punches and love to party then this is the perfect job for you, but if you value your sanity and  more... family keep it moving.  less
Pros
high level of autonomy and freedom, great perks, and benefits
Cons
stressful, lack of work/life balance, work place culture
Company is growing
IT MANAGER/PROJECT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDSeptember 24, 2018
Was there to usher in a new hotel. Overall, you have the room to grow. Within 5 months I was promoted. The hard part is that this is 24x7 no special holidays. You definitely work!
Pros
Salary and growth
Cons
Scheduling and long hours
Good job security
Casino Floor Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MAOctober 19, 2018
If you have the right job you are respected and have good job security. Good Pay. No family life. You must work all weekends and every holiday. They have a no point policy no easy to get off work without months of advance notice.
Pros
Free food Job security good pay
Cons
Expensive health care, work every weekend and all holidays.
A New Adventure
Table Games Dealer (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDAugust 5, 2018
My transition to the Gaming industry may have been easier than others coming from a Hospitality background. A typical day at the casino would consist of a lot of smiling and laughter and a whole lot of cheering for our players to do well. The hardest part about this job learning the actual games themselves if you aren't accustomed to being in that type of setting. I've learned a great deal since becoming a Table Games Dealer. One of the things I learned is Black Jack is a "Team Sport". I learned that although there are some days that are a little tougher than others, customers just want someone to vent to and not to take their frustrations personally. The Gaming industry is a very fast-paced environment so be prepared for a change in the game plan at a moment's notice. I will say that our Management Team is there for our associates if there are problems that arise and are very hands-on in the everyday operations of the casino. Overall, Maryland Live! Casino is a very nice place to work if you want to explore a new adventure!
Nice work place depending on position.
Casino evs (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJanuary 1, 2019
Maryland live is a very decent place to work. Depending on your position, evs is the lowest paying so we get the bottom of the barrel. It’s not fair but that’s what goes on also they recognize who they want.
Pros
Good benifits, you can do as much over time you want
Cons
Being looked down on
Made each person feel like they were wanted and appreciated.
Technician (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDOctober 7, 2018
Took great lengths to make sure had the tools to learn everything needed on the job. Management was very supportive of everyone there. Plenty of room to move up in the company.
Interesting place
Table Games Dealer (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDFebruary 2, 2018
I've worked at MD Live for almost five years. In that time I've seen thousands of people come and go (yes employees). Upper level management is so displaced that they have no idea how people are treated, maybe they do and do not care at all. All lower level employees are considered quite replaceable in their opinions. If you don't play politics don't expect to move up...
Pros
Benefits, free meals on holidays
Cons
Shift work, heavy favoritism
fun workplace
Security Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDNovember 1, 2018
Everyday was different. great staff. very diverse. fast paced on mid shift and overnight. meet great people. work closely with other departments. Great stepping stone
Pros
cheap lunch
Cons
benefits and pay
It was ok
Unknown (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDMay 21, 2018
The culture created by management lets the guests dictate everything from game pace to hand decisions. It was extremely out of control. I would recomend this place to somebody only if you are from that area and are a custom to the "entitelment" attitude that is catered to by management.
Great Place
Poker Dealer (Former Employee) –  Hannover, MDOctober 26, 2018
Great place to work! Everyone was friendly and I would love to work for them again....... The poker room ran smooth and the managers knew what they were doing.
benefits
Great place to work.
Security Ambassador (Current Employee) –  MarylandApril 30, 2018
We offer a valuable work experience with growth potential, generous benefits, good money and a fun environment. Fast track your career with us!Hey, we’re in the business of entertainment, right? We’ll make sure we all work together to get the job done, and have a good time doing it!
Fastpaced, Fun Enviornment
Slot Attendant (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDSeptember 5, 2018
Working in the casino, was very interesting, and overall great experience. It was a great place to build working skills, and provide customer service.
Pros
Fun working atmosphere
Cons
Shift bidding, pay rate could have been competitively higher
Fun place to work and great place to grow within a company.
VIP Concierge (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDSeptember 18, 2018
I worked inside a casino, very fun environment many different cultures. sometimes it could be a difficult day with so many things going on but i always enjoyed it.
Decent job
Security Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDJuly 18, 2018
Patrolled the premises and reported any suspicious activity to my supervisor.
Also, assisted in vehicle collisions, vehicle breakdowns, vehicle booting, patron intoxication, escorting patrons to their vehicles, and ensuring the safety of all patrons attending the casino, including the casino employees.
Patrolling premises developed my relationship and ability to influence and collaborate with others outside our reporting authority to achieve shared goals, which would provide the safety and integrity of the casino.
Provide personal customer service to multiple demographics to convey interest in building relationships.
learned from managers that you must always stay vigilant while ensuring patrons safety.
Pros
Flexible managers
Cons
Harsh policies
Maryland Live In a Nutshell
Gaming Cage Worker (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDDecember 19, 2017
To be perfectly honest, this job isn't that difficult when you seperate all of the drama, and issues that create conflict in the work place. Their benefits and incentives are mediocre at best, but they do have some small meaniful gifts that can go a long way if your in the right department. To be fair, anyone who sits at the top of the business ladder will get special treatment and there is a lot of favoritism that goes on at the job itself, But I didn't loathe the fact that I was employed there. This company really worked with me being in college and some of the people I met there still keep in contact with me today. The reason why I left was because of unforseen circustances in my life at the time. Just know what your looking to gain out of being employed by that establishment when you decide to work there
Pros
Good food, employee trips, suitable pay, some caring people, various amounts of resources
Cons
long hours, understaffed, favoritism, belittling, and petty drama
Marketing: Club Service Representative
Club Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDSeptember 19, 2017
A typical day at work consists of assisting guest with promotional issues/ inquiries, gaining new club members, and reissuing reward cards. I've definitely increase my patience level during my employment over the last year. Work place culture is fast-paced and punctual. We like to have a good time at live. The hardest part of my job is dealing with disgruntled guest or when the system used through out the casino malfunctions. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to work in an environment where I am able to experience so many different cultures.
Pros
advancement and transfers canbe acheived in a short six months, great discount benefits, union
Cons
point system, under paid for most positions, unbalanced work/ personal life
Don't Believe The Hype In Orientation
Lead Line Cook II (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDSeptember 24, 2018
Maybe because the casino is open 24/7, there are expectations for you to be available to work 24/7. The union that you pay into does not have your best interest in mind so they are useless. The customers ( gambling addicts mostly) are allowed to verbally disrespect & harass you, with you being expected to tolerate it on a daily basis.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Maryland Live! Casino. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.7InHerSight Score

1.6Personal Development

2.0Career Opportunities

1.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight