Maryland National Capital Park and Planning Commission

Maryland National Capital Park and Planning Commission Employee Reviews

Principal Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greenbelt, MDNovember 28, 2018
I learned a lot when I worked for M-NCPPC. Started out not knowing anything about computers and retired knowing so much. They were many training opportunities throughout the years to learn and opportunities to take training that gave you learning credits through local colleges. Got the opportunity to work at several different facilities over the years and to meet many people in the community. They work day varied depending on the projects at certain times. Got to participate in events such as Black History Month, Asian American Heritage events, art openings and classes for adults and children. The company offered access to fitness centers throughout the County and had a Health & Fitness day each year for the employees to attend.

Worked for over 25 years for they company and would work for them again.
Pros
Great health, retirement, and learning benefits.
fun place to work for
Manager on Duty (MOD) (Current Employee) –  MarylandDecember 31, 2018
Planning activities and events for patrons. Laid back atmosphere. Low wage compensation for intermittent employees. No annual leave compensation for intermittent employees. Great company to work for despite the cons.
Pros
Flexibility in job planning
Cons
Low wage for noncareer staff. No annual leave for intermittent staff
Too political
Manager Aide III (Former Employee) –  Clarksburg, MDNovember 17, 2018
It's cutthroat at the top and on the ladder up to the top. Didn't used to be that way. When I first came on board, knowledge was passed down and taught skills from everyone to help advancement.
Over years, the Directors have been impersonal and vendictive to work for.
Play favorites.
Benefits
Cons
It's who you know
M-ncppc
Mail Analyst/ Print Tech (Current Employee) –  Greenbelt, MDSeptember 3, 2018
Awesome place to work depending on department and location.
a typical work day was 8 hours with an hour lunch. 5 hours a week. do not work on weekends. My job was hands-on and desk work. I enjoyed what I did but the management was shaky. raises are hard to come by but it who you know.
Pros
large variety of jobs
Cons
hard to advance.
Administrative Services Division Chief (Current Employee) –  Riverdale, MDNovember 27, 2018
Nice work environment with great managers and colleagues, good work/life balance opportunities, good benefits and compensation, good health and wellness programs
Productive and fun workplace
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDSeptember 16, 2018
Days can be hectic but are usually organized on a calendar schedule, however days can be unpredictable (weather, child behavior). Extremely fun and great job for the summers for students (high school or college) and a great eye opening and learning experience.
Pros
Free lunch for struggling staff/campers, Set schedule, rehire is easy
Cons
Not really any benefits for seasonal camp counselors
My Work Experience
Aide Assistant (Current Employee) –  College Park, MDAugust 22, 2018
Working with M-NCPPC I got to learn new thing every year. My main focus in my job was a aide for kids care staff. I've got to see new kids every year and learn about them and their whole background from their parents, also got to bond with them. With the workplace I got along with my coworkers because we treated ourselves as a family. We also looked out for each other and also have our backs. The hardest part of my job was to help make sure that kids learn from their mistakes whenever they will get in trouble or when they know that something is wrong to show them that is not right and not to do the same mistakes again. The most enjoyable part of my job was the spend time with the kids play around them do really cool art project, do different activities, play all types of sports, also help them with their homework if they are in need of help.
Pros
flexile hours for me going to school, having events to make more hours sometimes but not always.
Cons
Not really having a lunch break, You have to eat before showing up to work, that way you not eating front of the children, Not begin able to work when the kids have no school, During the kids holiday break not working, Only work a couple of days not have a regular schedule, Also not having full benefits such sickness, or 401K
Great job for retirees
Front Desk Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fort Washington, MDJune 22, 2018
Get to meet and communicate with the young and elder people.
Both can learn from one another.

I've learned something every day regarding the new system from co-workers.

Management is ok.

Workplace culture is minimal.

No hard part of the job.

The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the children when the center have Summer Day Camp
Pros
Just starting to earn sick leave.
Cons
No health care, vacation or insurance benefits due to job is contractual.
great work environment
Head Coach/Manager (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDJuly 20, 2018
Mission / Vision / Value Statements. Throughout 80 plus years of service, The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission has endeavored to improve the quality of life for all of the citizens of the bicounty area it serves and of the communities in which these citizens live, work, and raise their families.
fun work place
camp counselor (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDSeptember 28, 2018
This is a fun job because you basically play with the kids all day and then clean up sometimes the kids wouldn't listen to me so you have to raise your voice
Mncppc
Kids Care Counselor (Current Employee) –  Temple Hills, MDJuly 30, 2018
The job overall is an okay place to work at but, it is not somewhere to be permanent, because then you will become stationary. In oder to make a salary, you have to have years of experience within the company, not skills just years.
Flexible Part-time Positions
Administrative Assistant/Program Facility Aid II (Current Employee) –  Temple Hills, MDDecember 4, 2018
I have been employed part-time with Maryland-National Capital Parks and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) in several positions over the last six years. I love the different managers that I have had the pleasure to work with/for. All of my fellow intermittent co-workers contribute something different to the team. We are really like family, which is a great feeling. We work with the public via phone and in-person at the community centers for classes, childcare, rentals and special events. While it is not always an easy job, it is one that is very rewarding. M-NCPPC makes it hard to walk away especially because the work schedules are very flexible.
Pros
Flexible Schedules, Management, Culture
Cons
Hard to advance
Fun
Manager (Current Employee) –  Riverdale, MDMay 31, 2018
Fun. Keeps you busy. Many opportunities for advancement and lateral movement. Co-workers are nice and helpful. Huge area to cover. Great benefits.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Commute
Wonderful place to work!
Cook (Current Employee) –  Mitchellville, MDJanuary 31, 2018
I absolutely love working at Enterprise Golf Club! I have improved on my customer service skill, learned how to be a short order cook, learned how to consolidate my register at the end of the day...and working with great people. Management is great and encouraging as well. The only drawback is that my position is Seasonal and close to no hours during the cold months.
Cons
Seasonal position and no benefits
Maintenance/Custodian (Former Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDDecember 1, 2018
Excellent work place and management..Always updating your work skills with training and meetings. Work isn't hard but keeps one busy.Management has hired mostly Hispanic women who makes it hard to communicate with them due to not speaking English.
Pros
excellent work place and co-workers
Cons
management too sexual with hispanic women., Latino women have less work responsibilities
Pay More
Program Support Specialist/Monitor/Front Desk (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDJanuary 9, 2018
It would be nice to be shown appreciation with a Christmas bonus. I'm sure upper management gets bonuses. Another thing would be to raise the pay rate when the living wage changes so people have something to work towards and to live off.
Pros
people you work with
Cons
pay rate
Great Job-hard to become full time
Area Specialist Assistant (Current Employee) –  Langley Park, MDNovember 2, 2018
I love Park and Planning, it is hard to get a career position though.
I have had great paid training's to include being a First Aide/ CPR instructor, CJIS trained, child care certification, etc.
Exciting place to work
Facility Program Aide (Current Employee) –  Fort Washington, MDSeptember 1, 2017
I worked for the Commission for about 5 years and have met and worked with wonderful people. I have learned a lot such as dealing with a variety of customers from all backgrounds and ages. The job is a very relaxed environment with diverse staff. The hardest part of the job will be learning the system, but you'll get the hang of it after working on it multiple times. I must say the most enjoyable part of this job is meeting new people everyday that comes in our facilities, as well as working the events.
Pros
Flexible hours, relaxed environment, events, excellent management
Cons
No benefits, low pay
Days on the Job
General Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDSeptember 14, 2018
My work days, Grass cutting, Trash Pick up,etc
Things I have learned, I’ve learned how to become more Productive
Management was pretty cool & lay back very good guys, Very helpful
Pros
Hour Lunch Break
Cons
Low Pay
Great staff and great management
Facilities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Riverdale, MDOctober 14, 2018
Parking and planning commission was my very first job, I respect the management so much for allowing me to be flexible. Great times and vibes with fun people.