Maryland SPCA Employee Reviews

Toxic work environment
Adoptions Counselor and Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 31, 2018
Management picks favorites and makes it very obvious. When one person doesn’t like you, no one likes you and it can be for no specific reason. Management does not support you.
Relaxed environment/poor mngt
Development Associate (Former Employee) –  Maryland (MD)December 19, 2017
I believe that an the workplace, managers should be able to run the department if all staff members are out. This isn't the case. The managers are too busy advocating that they are not being educated. This will eventually cripple the company. Also, managers should have on-going training on how-to deal with diversity. I
Pros
Relaxed environment
Cons
noticed that if you are not an animal lover than your tenture is short-lived. Discrimination? Maybe.
Productive and lots of cuddling
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 10, 2017
As a cat cuddler, you are given the job to show pets to potential adopters and to give them affection. But, you have to wash your hands between cats because of health standards. It is challenging working with the ringworm cats because of health procedure to make sure the cat's progress is not inhibited and that you do not get the disease as well. Overall, I enjoy sending a cat home to their new family which they will get the love and affection they deserve.
so fun
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 23, 2017
I love taking of all dogs that i'm allowed to.
Picking own time to come in. sitting with dogs in their cages was the best. very fun place to volunteer
Awesome place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 8, 2015
Really appreciate what the SPCA is doing for countless homeless animals that just want love. The volunteers are amazing and use their free time to help these animals.
Pros
Helping animals in need
Cons
Fun and Loving place to be at
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 23, 2015
The most enjoyable part of working at SPCA is working with the animals. The hard part is when the animals get adopted when u get attached to them, I have really nice co-workers and you get to meet different people. I learned that its different ways to help animals with there behaviors and to find new homes
A place where I like to spend my free time
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 29, 2013
I have volunteered for the MD SPCA for over three years. It is an enjoyable experience, as I am able to spend quality time and be a companion for the abandoned, surrendered and abused animals. I get to interact with people, young and elderly. The people I work alongside with are giving, friendly and selfless. I also volunteer during events the MD SPCA organizes. The hardest part is putting myself in the animal's place; where that animal has been/has gone through, and not being able to give all of the animals a great home! The most enjoyable part would be the freedom I have to spend as much time as I choose to spend with as many animals as I feel. The organization is managed well and the money raised during events/other operations goes strictly to feed, vaccinate, and help give the animals an enjoyable and comfortable place to live until they are adopted.
Shooting video and taking animal photos
Social Network Intern (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 1, 2012
I typically shot videos and took pictures of the animals. I did animal profiles to bring awareness of some of the animals we had available for the public. I also updated the social media and posted videos on the web.
Pros
doing what i'm good at.
Cons
limited diversity.