Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Train operation
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 26, 2018
Great career opportunity working in public transportation.This career path is not effected by the economy so it offer great job security. Lots of opportunity for career advancement.
Pros
job security
Cons
dealing with the public
Productive place to work
Transporation Vehicle and Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 23, 2018
My experience while working at the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority was great, a little challenging at times but overall it is a great place to work.
great paying job with great benifits
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 9, 2018
The MBTA was a great career with lots of great perk, however the layoff was a bit sudden and unexpected. I worked for the MBTA for 10 years and advancing to other departments was pretty hard to do.
Pros
great paying job
Cons
lack of advancement to other positions
Outstanding place to work
Chief of Staff (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 20, 2018
Excellent place to work in a mission-driven environment. No two days the same. The General Manager who promoted me was outstanding. I left when my boss departed the agence.
Pros
Excellent commuter benefits.
Cons
Long hours and a great deal of weekend work.
Great workplace
Motorperson (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 7, 2018
I would recommend this job to anyone . Great benefits and you can also grow in the company too. Fast pace, diversity, security and great environment to work in. Coworkers are great too.
Great place to work but outsourced all the technology items
HRIS Analyst (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 16, 2018
It was a good place for my first job but it was not very good pay. It had good benefits. The technology maintenance was outsourced to consulting firms.
Very productive and interesting workplace
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 8, 2018
As a supervisor for the MBTA it is a very fast pace environment. You have wonderful co-workers. We are a team here at Cabot that we do not like to see failure for any of us, so we are always available to each other. At the end of the day we always make sure our work is done. If for some reason we can not complete the task at hand we will notify each other along with the Superintendent.
Pros
A little of flexibilty with time
Cons
Sometimes can't stop for lunch break
Mbta
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Everett, MADecember 28, 2017
The MBTA is a good place to work, great environment, educational, fast pace during the cold and hot summers. its hierarchy structured,
difficult to advance unless you fit in
Stressful job with very little care of quality of life
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 19, 2017
If your seeking the all mighty dollar then this job may fit you. If you have a family then it probably isnt the best job for you. Work like a dog no acknowledgement for working hard but make one mistake and they are all over you.
Pros
Great money with plenty of OT
Cons
Stressful, dangerous, bad hours, poor management ect...
Productive, Slow-paced, Flexible hours, Flexible Pay.
Scanning and Imaging Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 12, 2017
For the MBTA, I had the privilege of working for two departments, under the organization. As for "Scanning and Imaging", my main responsibility was scanning and retrieving vital documents. I learned how to conduct myself in a professional manner. Management was awesome and everyone did they can to have a productive work day. The culture of the workplace was very environmental friendly. All employees worked at a steady work pace. There were certainly many challenges, however one major challenge had to be completing projects, projects and deadlines always creates pressure (But it must be done)
The most enjoyable part of work had to be enhancing certain skills that I have developed over time.

As a "Revenue Audit" intern, I had the opportunity of performing more administrative duties.
Pro and Con
Motorperson (Current Employee) –  Boston, MA 02116November 29, 2017
A pro for this job was that I got to experience many different parts of the job that did not pertain to just a motorperson. On the other many a con of the job is there way no respect for an operator.
I Love my job
RIDE Driver (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 19, 2017
It is a great opportunity for me to work with them. It is Also a great challenge for to develope my knowledge on new things. I get a chance to work with good people to satisfy others.
everyone has different experiences
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 17, 2017
The Job itself not speaking on my experience but overall. So many changes happening with no benefits for the MBTA veterans, newbies, dedicated, hard working, retired employees. Healthcare very expensive, raises been taken away, jobs are cut out and prioratized.
Co-workers- majority of management great people you meet, work with.
Good Working Enviroment
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 4, 2017
I got to meet and greet a lot of people on day to day bases. Enjoyed working for the MBTA. There is four train lines orange, blue, red and green. My co-workers were like family. Did a earyl retire/disability because of illness.
Pros
Early relieve
Cons
Long breaks making my time at work longer.
Can be stressful and very demanding
Customer Service Representative/Call Center (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 17, 2017
Working in the call center was very stressful and it was not due to the job in it's self. Poor management added to the stress which was not necessary. If the department had been run efficiently it would have been a lot nicer place to work. Career advancement in the call center was almost to none. I can't speak for all departments, just this one. In my opinion the experience you will have working here (good/bad) will depend on your boss and your position.
Pros
Building relationships and pay
Cons
Very stressful and advancement opportunities are little to none.
26 years of service
Superintendent of Administration & Finance (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 10, 2017
I started working at the MBTA in 1989 and retired in 2015. It was a great company to work for with great benefits. But, as with life, things changed over the years. I am happy I left when I did.
Pros
Able to collect a retirement check after 23-yrs. of service
Cons
Management/Governors have changed the system over the years, some good, some bad.
nice place with good people
Senior Human Resources Consultant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 29, 2017
I enjoyed working for the mbta. I found that the work enviorment was very fast paced and busy, which worked well for me. I just can not say enough about the people. Very kind! This was a family like company.
It was a nice place to work at
WEB CONTENT MANAGER/JUNIOR ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 22, 2017
It is a nice place to work at. Every one is very friendly once you get to know them. It is located right in downtown, close to everything and the perks are great.
New management is ruthless
EXECUTIVE ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 12, 2017
New management do not care about the people. They have changed the work atmosphere to be very hostile and unfriendly. People are scared of losing their jobs with layoffs.
Pros
healthcare
Cons
stressful
Fast-paced environment but worth the time put In
Supervisor of Transportation (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 5, 2017
My typical work day would consist of some field work typically during morning peak hours(7am-915am).Verifying & Closing out payroll.Preparing daily budget. Reviewing/Investigating/responding to customer complaints, emergencies and incidents. Interviewing employee and issuing discipline accordingly.The work culture is busy, mostly fast-paced.Management has taught me how to handle being in a pressured situation and coping with stress, The hardest part of the job is not having enough hours in the day to complete all all tasks. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to assist others and bring a smile to their face.
Pros
Good benefits, hourly wage
Cons
Can be stressul, Bi-weekly pay