Massachusetts Department of Public Health

Massachusetts Department of Public Health Employee Reviews

United States56 reviews

environmentworkingpeoplemanagementtimegreatjobwork

Good place to work, but terrible IT dept.

The state lab is a nice place to work. The holidays, pay, and vacation time are excellent. The people you work with are great as well. The only real negatives are that changes take a long of time (including hiring) due to the regular government red tape and the technology you work with is kind of out of date. You will be given desktops that can barely handle running Windows 10 and are as slow as a snail.

Work is easy

Need benefitsNeed to do raisesNeed to be betterSupervisor needs more experience Needs some more respect Need better hoursMore safetyMore food optionss

Pros

Close to my house

Cons

Boss does too much

Massachusetts Department of Public Health insights

What people like
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Sense of belonging

Challenging, yet very rewarding position

Health Care Facility Inspector - a LOT to learn but also a lot of support from your team. You are always learning and ultimately improving the life of health care consumers. Hours can be long, but allowed to work a compressed work week (4 days). Full time is 37.5 hours. Great compensation and great benefits.

Campus Police Officer

STAY FAR AWAY! Worst place to work. No police powers, no law enforcement duty and no firearms. This is more security work than anything. The management will roll you over in a heart beat. Benefits are horrible and extremely under paid.

Pros

No Pros

Cons

High turn over, bad management, bad pay and benefits

Extremely Satisfying Job with a Clear Public Benefit

Great collaborative work environment energized around protecting the public's health based on using the best science and maximizing the utility of all of the staff's diverse skill sets.

Pros

An Interest in the Best Science

Cons

Somewhat Understaffed

Challenging and Rewarding Environment

I worked as a nursing supervisor and nurse educator in the Bureau of Hospitals. Every day was something different. We cared for a challenging patient population and I loved every minute of it. I only left the job because the commute was long.

Pros

Opportunity, Pto, great insurance

Cons

Long commute

Cook

Worst place to work they treat their employees like robots if you don't fit in they are miserable and unorganized besides benefits I would never work there !

Massachusetts State Auditors

Environment is toxic. Management is unsupportive and doesn't provide proper leadership; nevermind, giving credit for your contributions. They are not concerned with producing quality results. Rather, they are preoccupied with micromanaging experienced adults, and adding no value to improving their process, which is dysfunctional at best. You are always in the position of managing up.

Cons

excellent programs to work for

upper management became too influenced by political pressures. Upper management was not versed in the understandings of the professional aspects of the programs. Decisions were often politically based at the detriment of the spirit of the project. Although I worked on professional fulfilling projects, upper management became obsessed with assigning blame when projects faultereed. Union protection was promised yet failed dramatically when push came to shove. I loved the work. the system that promised to protect my professional interests failed miserably at a grievance hearing and i was found to be on my own in the bureaucracy

Hostile Work Environment

Micromanaging is the theme of the office. Sadistic and unempathetic behavior is persistent. Management are untrustworthy and counter productive in ensuring a professional workplace. Quality of work is sub-par.

Very nice place to work

I enjoyed working for MDPH, I would recommend MDPH as a career option for anyone interested in public health. Boston traffic can be a pain but overall a great place to work.

Disappointing

After being a former employee where I thought of this place as my second home, I come back to extreme disappointment. New management is awful & the love & compassion is not the same.

Soldiers Home Holyoke a miserable place to work due to management.

In orientation, a nurse trainer calls the brief sizing "E for everyone, F for fat" which sizes up their lack of compassion for veterans and each other. They are teaching new employees from the very beginning a general attitude of disrespect so it is no wonder that staff disrespects each other as well as the resident veterans.

Interesting

There is a lot of flexibility for work-life balance, but opportunities for advancement are limited. It is easy to get comfortable doing the same thing everyday.

Welfare is now public health?

If you are well connected to politicians and have your mom and dad at Central Office or a high ranking government official, you'll fit right in at the welfare office. Fall River and New Bedford is the family reunions of all welfare offices. Husband wife, mom, dad, kids, siblings all right there. No need to go home. Depending who you know you can climb the latter to the top in just 3 years!! Who cares about the contract. That's as worthless as the paper it's written on.

Pros

Going home

Cons

Hostile and toxic environment. Speak about and your are a moving Target.

Positive work environment; professional growth; friendly colleagues and management

I worked as a Program Coordinator for the MA Department of Public Health. I managed the day-to-day activities of the 2000 Calorie Awareness public health campaign, promoting healthy eating. It was a positive work environment, busy at times, but the staff worked collaboratively. My colleagues and managers were friendly and helpful. I learned exceptional project management skills. The hardest part of the job was when there was downtime. I enjoyed meeting with the media company and seeing the final product for the campaign ads and materials. It was a great learning experience and I was able to grow professionally.

Great People

I worked with a group of amazing people who had tremendous knowledge and were willing to share it. I was able to take part in many aspects of being a health director and meeting involved with the numerous committees.

Terrible

It was a nightmare, plain and simple. Someone stalked me and management let it continue. Terrible management and strange pace of work. Lost sight of what we were doing. Poor communication.

very relaxed environment

Good environment to work in. You work independently most of the time, but have the option of working in teams. Positive atmosphere, nice co-workers, happy.

Nurturing environment

Nurturing environment with friendly and genuine people who cares about your achievement and growth. Extremely helpful in time of need and always willing to provide valuable advice.

good

t was a great place to work it was hard to see the patients. some were there for an undetermined length of stay. sometimes it didn't smell very clean there.

Pros

it was close to the zoo.

Cons

it was in a dangerous part of town

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Massachusetts Department of Public Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits