Massachusetts Department of Transportation

Massachusetts Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

United States79 reviews

departmentlearncoworkerslotlearnedenvironmentbenefitemployee

Great place to work!

Working for MassDOT is reliable and enjoyable. Employees are friendly and helpful, and training is comprehensive. Responsibilities are clear, and there is plenty of support. I loved working here!

Pros

Celebratory lunches/etc. for anniversaries, goodbyes, etc.

Cons

Should be interested in transportation

It's very hard with a clear conscience to encourage people to work here.

Typically, you are a number. Rarely are you encouraged to do a better job. The management is usually under qualified to manage and are fighting for their own survival. This condition leaves no time for employee development. Burn out and high levels of anxiety are commonplace for most of the staff.

Pros

Union job, low expectations for competency, It's just not what they do.

Cons

Union job, They really only help the incompetent keep their jobs

Massachusetts Department of Transportation insights

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Overall satisfaction

Lack of diversity and opportunity for growth

Enjoyed working with my coworkers, but managers were not very friendly and slow to provide guidance or feedback. Performance reviews are required, but my manager only did it 2 times the entire time I was working for the state. Workplace culture is such that everything happens slowly, there are various approval levels, and there is a ton of red tape for basic assignments. A lot of micromanagement occurred as well.Also, because a lot of the employees here have been with the agency for several years and plan to retire from state service, it's difficult to advance as a new employee because there simply isn't a role to be promoted to within certain departments, like HR, even if you have a graduate degree. Very frustrating if you enjoy state service and hope to grow.

Pros

Nice to be a part of state service!

Cons

Pay is not competitive, promotions are unheard of unless you benefit from favoritism

Coworkers are very cooperative. Pay and benefits are great.

This job is not for everyone. First and foremost, there is zero tolerance for drugs and alcohol in safety sensitive positions. Punctuality is a must. I enjoy helping customers and checking out my assigned stations for potential safety hazards. The job can be rewarding as far as pay. It comes with a price, though. The job can be very stressful at times.

Pros

Union, pay, benefits, advancement opportunities.

Cons

Stress related physical and mental health issues.

Great pay, benefits

Great pay, benefits, job security, time off. Lots of overtime if you want it. Required in winter months during snow and ice. Lots of time off you earn with seniority, union.

Pros

Total compensation package

Cons

Night overtime

Application of MADOT’s presence throughout the state.

MassDOT is a state agency that is hierarchical and slow to move. It does try to change and offers a pretty good life/work balance. Compensation is low.

A waste of my time

I have been working in office environments for over 30 years and I have never seen the mass disorganization that I witnessed at this organization. I was sent there as a contract employee. Upon arrival I was greeted by 2 men neither of whom worked in the department I worked in (which was some discipline of accounts payable related to the DMV). The girl in the department who was told by one of the 2 men who met me in the lobby to let me shadow her so I could learn the job, she ordered me to go back to my own cube as she didn't want to train me. I was at this company for a month, nobody could muster up the courage to give me anything to do so I just read books the whole time. An astronomical waste of taxpayer dollars to even have this leg of the state bureaucracy as they could easily absorb it into the MBTA as they are even in the same building.

Pros

Getting paid to walk around Boston.

Cons

Everything else

Exciting organization with lots of changes taking place

My role involved analyzing different process in the organization to help change or improve them. -Challenging work environment. -Ability to work on different projects. -Freedom to learn beyond the specified concentration of ones job role by participating in trainings and meetings.

Pros

Friendly people

Lot of exposure

When at MassDOT as an intern, you get to learn and work on multiple things at a time. Your innovations are welcome. However, it's a large company. Things happen slow. But a great experience overall.

A very productive but fun work environment.

Mass DOT was a very productive and fun work environment with a lot of hands-on training. They encourage new learning skills and schooling to all their employees who want to learn a new job or just have the background information to make their resumes look brighter. Overall, I enjoyed working for them and retired with full benefits in 2015.

Great Career

Provided safe, secure, efficient Air Traffic Control System for the USA. Proud to have served our government for over 37 years in the US Air Force, Veterans Affairs, and FAA.

Pros

To serve the public - high job satisfaction.

Cons

Politics.

Status quo

Did not feel like I was making a difference or needed to make a difference. Management did not seem to care about work life balance and all one has to do is their job quietly.

Easy going, safe career

This is a phenomenal place to work if you are looking to have a safe career where there is not too much stress, and little to lose. You won't get rich working for the State, but it is a safe and easy going job where you can learn a lot and make a nice life.

Great Place to work

this has been a great place to work for, good balance between work and life. The hardest part of the job was starting early in the morning great boss

One of the better Federal agencies to work for

Flexible family friendly agency. Encourages team building, and fosters good employee relations. Most enjoyable part of the day is working with other employees. Most difficult is that the work is always due yesterday.

Pros

flexible schedules, telework

Cons

short lunch breaks

Everyday Work

Hard job. Even harder environment to work in. Union based. Fast paced. Must be able to adapt quickly. Understand laws and how to keep everything confidential.

All Supervisors and Managers were very professionals, respectful and helpful

As a Toll Collector, my job consisted to collect the tows from the patrons. It was a fast-paced job site. In allowed me to apply my customer service skills. I met so many people rushing to exit the toll. With the smile and courtesy most of them gave me some words of encouragement. The management was respectful. As I mentioned the job was at a fast-paced at times. i met so many nice people and that made my job enjoyable.

Pros

Managers and supervisors were very nice

Cons

N/a

Productive work place

Productive work environment for interns. Learned valuable skills with customer service and problem solving. Professional work environment where everyone works together.

A constantly changing environment

Overall my experience was rewarding with MassDot. I learned a great deal about the design and construction of roadways. I was involved with the testing of concrete, soil and asphalt that was supplied to the state I also visited concrete and asphalt manufacturing plants through out the state of Massachusetts to insure that all safety and state regulations were in place

Pros

Helping to make our roadways safer

Cons

A constant change of supervisors

State Departments

They have good benefits for full time permanent employees. The work is challenging because of so many layers in the department. Its a good learning experience though to navigate through the layers.

Politics

It was never about how well you did it was all about who you know. You need to know your field. You will not receive much training if any and in most cases you will have more knowledge of the department you work in than your superior.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Massachusetts Department of Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits