Massachusetts General Hospital Employee Reviews

Had much to offer.
Reciever (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 16, 2018
I started as a temp. worker, who learned quickly and was well liked by management and fellow fulltime co-workers. 6 months later, was made a full time employee on an experimental 3rd shift. After 9 years , something happened to the work environment. People who worked that shift moved on and management disintegrated. Only half the crew remained, and was going on my 7th manager in 8 years. In a nutshell...... it became an unhealthy place to work.
Pros
401k, health, dental, paid vacations.
Cons
frequent Management and co-worker loses.
Great work environment
Nursing Student Clinical Rotation (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 16, 2018
I got most of my clinical experience here. I did a maternity rotation and an advanced medical-surgical rotation. The nurses were wonderful and taught me how to be the best nurse I could possibly be. It was busy at times but it helped make the shift better.
Fun busy place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 12, 2018
Lots of great people working here helping patients get better. I left to try other ventures and returned 3 times. Management is very supportive of continuous learning.
Pros
Vacation time, coworkers, promotions from within.
Cons
traffic into work
Excellent organization that highly valued nursing contributions
Clinical Nurse Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 7, 2018
I worked at MGH for over 17 years. It was an excellent learning opportunity with unlimited potential for career expansion and growth. I left to be closer to home for my family
Great Job, Greater Benefits
Clinical Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 6, 2018
I absolutely love the environment of this Hospital! From the various cultural backgrounds of my co workers to how caring the management is.Besides working nights and being exhausted sometimes I give MGH nothing but positives
Pros
Benefits, work Culture
Cons
Working Nights
Exceptional workplace
Carol A. Ghiloni Oncology Nursing Fellow (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 5, 2018
MGH is unlike any other hospital. Staff are there because they are dedicated to their work and genuinely care about the welfare of their patients, who come from all over the world to receive care there.
Mass General hospital experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 5, 2018
Excellent place to make contacts with various co-workers help you understand and excel in your position. Would love to work there again alot of good commendation and morale with co-workers.
A Fine Place to Work for Medical Students
Staff Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 29, 2018
MGH is a wonderful place to work. The staff are all amiable and accommodating. Everyone is very helpful and the environment is fine. There are many opportunities to immerse oneself in the medical world, learn terminology, and meet successful physicians. However, for employees like myself who do not have a great interest in the medical field, it is difficult to get excited about working here. Much like working for any place that is not within one's field of expertise or interest, Massachusetts General Hospital does not offer me specifically much opportunity to engage my interests and utilize my skillset. A typical day for me involves mundane office work which is very hard to get excited for. If you are looking to go into the medical world, though, MGH is an ideal location that has much to offer in terms of benefits and experience.
an exciting adventure every day
Charge Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 27, 2018
A typical work day for me was during the evening shift in the emergency department. it would start off with a pass off of all the events that took place during the day. I would be updated on different things within the department during the evening shift that was left over from the day. I would do a walk through of the department and check in with everyone and see if anyone needed anything or I could help out in anyway. id answer many phone calls about patients, traumas, fax proper paperwork to the correct facilities related to different traumas and deaths. By working at MGH I have learned so much just from being in that environment. I gained medical terminology and knowledge, I was able to ask any questions to the doctors and nurses around me and they would explain things and teach me about them in a work environment which I found to be very helpful. so many different walks of life work in and go through the emergency room everyday and you are exposed to so many different lives people and experiences and also gain a definite sense of who you are as a person. the hardest part of the job was seeing less fortunate individuals and the lives they lived. listening to their story and hearing there pain, but also witnessing their pain can be challenging. but the hardest parts are the best parts the kind that help you to grow and find more compassion and strength for the people. its a double edge sward where the hardest part of your day may also be the best part of your day because you were able to help some and be a part of their care, even if it was just a quick hello or smile in  more... passing.  less
Pros
co workers willing to teach, benifits, nice people, good enviorment, flexable schedule
Cons
busy nights sometimes breaks were cut short, at times a stressful enviorment to be in, working weekends
Nice environment
Epic Applications Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 27, 2018
Very relaxed environment with not too much stress. People were friendly and easy to work with. Unfortunately, my manager was young and brand new in the position so I never felt like I had any clear direction.
Excellent to learn and grow
Patient Services Coordinator III (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAMarch 27, 2018
Massachusetts General Hospital provides employees with many opportunity to learn and grow. The upper level management staff are always willing to listen to you and help you achieve your goals.
High paced high volume
CT technologist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 24, 2018
High volume in a high paced environment. The most enjoyable part of the job is having supportive management which promotes learning, collaborative, and friendly culture. The hardest part of the job is lack of parking options for day shift and increasing costs of offsite parking for the evening shift.
Pros
Great pension and healthcare benefits
Cons
lower pay compared to surrounding hospitals and outpatient clinics
Great Place to Work at
Manager Anesthesia Supply/Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 24, 2018
Mass General is not only the original teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School, but also its largest, and nearly all its staff physicians serve as faculty. They are committed to training and mentoring the next generation of international leaders in science and medicine, providing opportunities for physicians, nurses and allied health professionals. These talented men and women with their diversity of talent and perspectives, in turn, lend fresh and innovative ideas on how MGH cares for patients.

In January 2015, Mass General was named the top medical and surgical residency institution in the nation by Doximity, the largest online network for physicians.
Great first workplace for RN
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 20, 2018
It was really stressful at first being part of eCare - working without differentials yet still having to do nights and weekends killed me. My quality of life sucked. Getting hired as a full time RN was a gamechanger. I could now afford the benefits and enjoyed my time on my unit without the stress of eCare. My coworkers were always really helpful and the patient assignments were manageable.
Pros
Employee clinic APF
Cons
No 403b match
productive workplace
Fulbright Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 19, 2018
I truly believe that MGH is one of the world’s
leading organizations in brain imaging and neuroscience, which is why I had a very productive experience by joining forces and working on the cutting-edge of science.
Good benefits
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 19, 2018
Good working environment, good benefits. Salary is not always up to part with the job descriptions. There is no over time, employees are encouraged to take time off during the day. Good work and life balance
Fast paced, cutting edge scientific research facility
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 19, 2018
Fast paced, cutting edge scientific research facility with immense scientific and clinical rewards in the forefront of the medical sciences. Hard work and long hours but high rewards.
Pros
Benefits, Flexibility
Cons
Payscale
Fast paced, cutting edge scientific research facility
Assistant Director of Mouse Imaging Program (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 19, 2018
Fast paced, cutting edge scientific research facility with high valued rewards in the scientific and medical community by using state of the art equipment in a multidisciplinary environment.
Pros
Benefits, Scientific Freedom
Cons
Payscale
Competitive workplace
Patient observer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 15, 2018
Very competitive and demanding workplace but great place to grow and learn. The co workers can be helpful and fun. The parking is one time fee if you work overnight.
Pros
diversity
Cons
short break
Organized, efficient organization
Staff Nurse, Intensive Care Unit (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 15, 2018
Typical day depends on unit working on.
Real culture of appreciating employees from the top down.
Strong collaboration between nurses, depends on unit worked on.
Great benefits, could use improvement in hourly pay.
Feels like the pay is decreased because of the "honor" of working at "The Mecca," (nickname given by MGH employees).

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Massachusetts General Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight