Massachusetts General Hospital
4.3

Massachusetts General Hospital Employee Reviews

United States1,096 reviews
Found 1,096 reviews matching the search
From management to employees, the facility exceeds all expectations. They had proper PPE during the Covid crisis, which allowed for a safe working environment.
Cons
MGH is only good for superficial people. If you really want to help mankind, go and work for local, regional hospitals that really have a need for caring and compassionate human beings. MGH is cutthroat, elitist, transparent, and downright non-inclusive in cultural diversity. Do not let the superficial coating fool you. I was employed there for several years and could write a book about the place.
Pros
Looks good on your resume
Cons
Nepotism, backstabbing, traditional racist culture
Current employees were leaving & others planning to leave. Poor lack of leadership due to treating experienced perfusionists as students due to young team. Negative atmosphere. Lost 5 perfusionists while there. Marquee name means nothing
Pros
Not many
Cons
poor perfusion leadership
Leader in medical practices and diversity support in all areas of patient care and staffing. Constantly striving to maintain the best HIPAA compliance and professional standards in all areas of the organization.
Pros
Frequent Annual Holiday Bonus
Cons
Sharing changes in policy or practice not always timely between management and floor staff.
Working at a lab within Mass General has provided me with amazing experiences, an amazing workplace that is fully inclusive and highly international, as well as a stimulating work environment. I always feel supported and pushed to be better.
Pros
Free lunch sometimes, fun people, immediate healthcare if I need, flexible.
Cons
Low pay, tight deadlines sometimes
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
I can't said the place is a bad place to work because the main problem is the people who manage the departments, is a lot of racism and disrespectfull people in that place.
Pros
nice and famous place all over the world
Cons
if you are not white, blue eyes or best bodies with the managers you are not going to where professionally talking.
I was a former employee at MGH. I'd go back in a minute if I were given the chance. I am semi-retired now; MGH was one of my best jobs! I learned lots about physicians and patience. My manager was terrific; work culture was what you made it
Pros
location, the physicians I supported
Cons
long walks from the office location to the clinic location
Clear difference in the view of OT and PT, the initiated by director who is a PT. The OT department is very competitive and cutthroat. Some of the meanest women I have ever met. A sequal to the movie mean girls can be written about the the OT and PT department. STAY CLEAR!!!!!!
Pros
you can learn a ton of stuff
Cons
the culture
Hectic, unpredictable, lack of cohesiveness in some areas. Employees should take ownership of their presentation within the institution, such as identifying/introducing oneself when calling/answering the telephone without being asked. It's called phone etiquette. The institution could benefit from cross training employees within departments for a more consistent workflow. I came with experience. culture can be elitist.
Pros
Some managerial advocacy
Cons
short break times
After numerous complaints to management concerning the supervisor bulling employees, management did nothing. Employees would leave in tears. Begged management to do something about her behavior. She is still employed and nothing has been done. This behavior has been going in for 13 years.
I've learning how to balance the priorities of the research project with the needs of the patients participating on the project. My communication skills greatly improved both in a discussion setting and through written communication.
MGH cares about its employees and their growth. I feel very supported there. The culture is inclusive and learning-focused. Patients get the best care and I am proud to have worked in this facility.
The hardest part of the role was having to inform patients there were no openings at their preferred hours. This is usually brcause they are unwilling to see a different doctor other than the one they normally see.
I learned a lot about scheduling and customer services because people were already coming in feeling emotional and needed to be handled gently yet efficiently. It was a very rewarding job because people appreciate the help that is provided to ensure efficiency at the consultations.
Pros
Warm and supportive work mates
Cons
Interacting with people who were sad or nervous because of their illness
I would suggest changing the MGH job application so that the "select your gender" drop down bar has a transgender option. Transgender should be included in both harassment training and diversity training. Ex. how to know which pronoun to use, why people use prosthetics (to look normal), a talk from a trans person about their story or stereotyping, etc
I've never been so proud to work anywhere in my career. This is an amazing hospital with a commitment to patients and employees unlike any other. The support and career growth opportunities here are superior.
One of the worst supervisors/management I've ever worked under. Not enough work to go around, supervisor is not supportive, doesn't delegate tasks. When hired, I was given a desk and no other instructions, supervisor never followed up to help get set up or introduce to others in the lab. Spent a lot of time trying to organize the utter chaos that was the lab, bench tops in disarray, random junk and broken glass in drawers from past employees. Absolutely zero organization and poor communication. Supervisor easily aggravated and unprofessional in handling stressful situations. Toxic work environment for not great pay.
Only positive is that the hours are flexible
Staff was very nice and welcoming. Helped the students navigate through the EPIC system. It is a very busy hospital and may be difficult to find your way but always ask for help.
Even though this a well known hospital with room to grow, the name sometimes gets in the way of the appreciation it gives to it's employees. Other than that it is a great place to have the opportunity to work at.
I learned how to work at an acute environment. I was introduced to multiple psychiatric cases in which I learned about various diagnoses. In addition, I had a great opportunity to work in an interdisciplinary team.
Strong focus on research. Many research cores with advanced imaging and molecular biology functions. Great collaborative environment with MGH scientists and clinicians and others in the Boston community.
many employees worked many years there without advancement. you have to be the favorite to advance. Also HR won't help you no matter what. They will only help their own people
Pros
24 hr cafeteria
Cons
everything else
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Massachusetts General Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.0Personal Development
3.2Career Opportunities
2.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight