Massachusetts General Hospital Employee Reviews

is a hostile place to work as a minority
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 23, 2018
is a very negative place to work , especially if you are a minority. there is no support from your co-workers and management. i was working there for a short time, i held a perdiem full time position for 9 months. after my contract , i was looking looking for a position through their human ressources, they wanted to used me for another perdiem position. they let me go without offering me position. bad place for minority to work.
Able to work with some of the most tallented and dedicated colleagues.
Information Technology Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 23, 2018
Typical work day was cooperatively working with team(s) to solve issues, enhancing application tools through software and hardware and overall, give and get support to accomplish the target goals working with various teams.
The environment is all about learning, weather clinical, administrative, or technical. Time was always given for researching topics thoroughly.
Management is always supportive, engaging and genuinely interested in corporative input leading to results.
Work place culture is patients and patient safety is of the utmost importance. Employee safety, happiness and balance of work, family and nursing a team environment is a very high priority.
Some projects, or even support issues taking longer than expected due to various precautions in a large organization where safety of all aspects is a top priority.
Working with the most talented and dedicated folks in every field that were brought into play on projects, or problem solving issues.
Patient Service Coordinator
Patient Service Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 19, 2018
Very stressful work environment.
Employees are belittled by management.
Management invades employee privacy.
Lack of morals and values.
Low pay for overworked employees.
Pros
Large hospital with many job opportunities.
Cons
Low pay.
Emergency Department Nurse
Emergency Department Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 16, 2018
Hired and interview process was quick and pleasant. Informed of orientation process and movement throughout department. Went into this as former ED RN with prior trauma experience etc. ED orientation process is very unorganized. No real schedule. Every nurse despite background or skill set is treated similar. You will not touch an acutely ill or critical patient in years and after taking care of trauma patients from prior ED, my skills have gotten rusty. Floor RN’s I heard are treated well. If ever asked to work in trauma area you are asked to sign a 2 year agreement stating you will not leave area. This was not disclosed in interview and was also lied to concerning length of time until “allowed to go in”. Good nurse to patient ratio throughout compared to last ED.
Pros
Great coworkers, health insurance, dental insurance, work perks
Cons
No growth, poor management, disorganized orientation
No advancement
Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 14, 2018
I’ve worked at Mgh for 7 years and I have been doing the exact same thing despite growing education and experience. I have applied to other positions with no help from management, because of lack of other unit coordinators
fast paced
Radiology Clerk (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 14, 2018
I have been working for mgh for 25 years. My years here have been very memorable. I enjoyed working here. My coworkers are great and I have met plenty of people well and sick since I have been here.
True example of a Magnet Hospital
Pediatric Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 11, 2018
Great company to work for. Excellent benefits. Great employees. Truly my dream job. Would still be there if department hadn't downsized/ closed. They have high standards and expect a lot but give a lot in return.
working mothers
Medical Assistant- (Podiatry/Orthopedics (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 11, 2018
they say they are for working mothers but if you take time off then they get upset!!! and the ones that take advantage are not reprimanded for it......
Great Workplace
Medical Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 8, 2018
I have worked at Mass General Hospital for 7 years and have had noting but great things since I have been here, I have learned so much I have gained great skills.
Promotions
Patient Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 7, 2018
The great thing about working at MGH is there is always a way to move up in your career. It is a learning hospital and they are always willing to help and teach.
Faced paced
Patient Service Coordinator II- Call Center (Current Employee) –  Danvers, MASeptember 4, 2018
People are very friendly it makes you feel good knowing you made someone’s day especially for someone having a bad one. It can be a smile you give a helping hand being kind listening to patients etc it all makes a difference you can make a difference in ones life.
Helpful work place
PHLEBOTOMIST TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 4, 2018
Positive vibes! The people there are so welcoming and helpful. Hospital is huge but there is always someone there willing to help. If you want to go back to school they are will to help you to expand your career in the health field.
Great company
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 2, 2018
Great opportunities for advancement. Staff friendly, Employees tend to stay long term. Only hired experienced RN's. Not best pay in Boston. Great culture! Patients first, always!
Good place to start your career.
Nutrition Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 2, 2018
Great place to start your career. Great work environment and with internal promotions. Great benefits. Good management and good training process. Good place to grow in
It depends on the day
Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 29, 2018
It can usually be a fast paced unit with high call volumes from patients or outside calls. One day there will be a lot of admissions and the next day may be at more consistent pace. It all depends on the day of the week.
Big Costs - Big Benefits
Laboratory Technician and Research Fellow, Mentor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 28, 2018
MGH is a place where you learn more in any given day, but that education comes at a cost. The research environment is highly competitive and your experience is 100% dictated by your immediate supervisors.
Staff is unfriendly.
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 27, 2018
Staff is unfriendly and unprofessional. Their customer service and clinic staff members are unwelcoming during their patient interactions. They act like you are bothering them by the way they answer the phone. Staff is unwilling to go out of their way for patients, and won't go above and beyond their job title to help. You will rarely see a staff member smile. The hospital is unwelcoming to new hires. It took a long time for me to adjust when I started here about one year ago.

Managers favor some employees over others. Examples of this include allowing certain staff to skip lunch, and work overtime without having it approved. Management will let employees work around childcare needs, which is a plus, however they do not let staff work around their medical needs or appointments. Managers do not smile or say hello when they walk by their very own employees!

MGH Staff does not have a culture where they act as a team or family. They are cliques which make you feel like you are in high school, especially when it comes to race and ethnicity. When an error is made, staff is quick to point blame on anyone but themselves. The hospital is very overrated, and I was let down when I started working here. The former hospital I worked at was so much more of a family, and provided a lot more appreciation for staff. Every department went out of their way to help a patient with anything they needed, even if it wasn’t technically their job. You will never see this at MGH. It is very disheartening, and I am wondering how MGH got to #1.
Pros
Discounts on commuter passes.
Cons
Unwelcoming environment.
Registered Nurse
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 23, 2018
Good organization, excellent benefits, good PTO/Work-Life Balance. Discounted public transportation pass benefit, job security, easy access to public transportation.
Health is Caring
Licensed Practical Nurse, Dermatology (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 23, 2018
Massachusetts General Hospital is a committed to patient well being and providing excellent healthcare. The company treats both patients and employees with respect.
Pros
satisfaction from helping others
Cons
long hours, short breaks
no thanks
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 22, 2018
I do not wish to comment on this work site as it was a clinical experience for school and the experience was satisfied. I gained valuable experience at this site

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Massachusetts General Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Women's ratings

3.3Fairygodboss Score

60%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss