Massachusetts General Hospital Employee Reviews

Not fun at all
Unit Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 14, 2019
I worked there for 2years and a half at first I was so impressed and happy but then i get really disappointed because there’s so many bad people, hypocrite and I used to Worked with this lady in the baby unit she thinks she thinks she is the boss and she is always around you to controls you and management it’s really bad I wanted to continue with my studies but the supervisor he didn’t want to fix my work schedule and it was very stressful working with that lady and people don’t do anything about it.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Poor management
Lack of leadership
Apheresis Technician (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 6, 2018
The hospital like all hospitals they give manager positions to there friends instead of someone with manager skills someone who has the ability to work with confrontation and there is a very large lack of accountability where everyone wants to be the boss but doesn't want to give the punishment
Pros
its a great hospital
Cons
discrimination has changed, from white and black, to departments only hiring there managers nationality
Review Summary
Cancer Center Patient Care Coordinator III (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 8, 2018
A typical day at work was never typical at all; everyday required something new and different and absolutely not a resting moment in between. Busy from the moment you clock in until you clock out.

Mass General helped me learn a vast amount of things regarding health care and ethics.

Work place culture is goos with room for improvement.

The hardest part of the job was emotionally detaching from patients.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the gratification from being able to aid patients who were undergoing terminal illnesses.
Cons
Management is not really receptive to employee suggestions/accommodations.
Beware of management changes
Pharmacy Technician Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 7, 2018
I worked at MGH for several years. During the second half of my employment at the hospital, management of my department turned over 3 times, always hired from outside of the facility. This changed the entire working environment completely, and not for the better. Towards the end of my time there, there was blatant favoritism, disregard of hospital policy and department policy seemed to change from day to day.
However, my experience is with only a single department of a huge hospital, and I can't speak the experience of working in anty other department.
Pros
Great benefits for regular employees, discounts for local services
Cons
Inconsistent management, favoritism
Great place to work and awesome benefits!
Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MA 02114October 19, 2018
Every day is a busy day!
Hundreds of patients check-in for surgery.
It is a fast-paced environment where there are always challenges but as a Unit people work together to get through busy mornings and evenings. Cooperation is essential and there's always someone to help in case we get stuck in awkward situations! Great place to work and also the benefits are great too!
Pros
Nice people, awesome CEO
Cons
No free lunches
Nutrition Food Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 13, 2018
Working at this company is a great experience. it has been ten years since I have started working there, the management is great, the respect their employees, and give you opportunities to success. They have the Tuition reimbursement program to help their employees paid for school. MGH is a great place to work
Pros
Healthcare, Tuition reimbursement
Cons
Short and Early break
is a hostile place to work as a minority
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 23, 2018
is a very negative place to work , especially if you are a minority. there is no support from your co-workers and management. i was working there for a short time, i held a perdiem full time position for 9 months. after my contract , i was looking looking for a position through their human ressources, they wanted to used me for another perdiem position. they let me go without offering me position. bad place for minority to work.
Fun place to work depending where and who you work with at the time.
PSA (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 6, 2018
Hectic. Lot to learn. Management great but varies. Great workplace culture but depends. Needs computer to function at all times. Meeting the customer.
Pros
Overall great organization. Get to meet new customers.
Cons
More time needed allotted for lunch. Consistency in customer service needed across the board
Temporary Assignment
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 20, 2018
I loved working at Mass General.
I had a temp assignment and the staff and managers were great.
I wished the assignment would have became permanent but I was covering for someone.
The doctors were kind to the staff as well as their assistants. That speaks volumes
Pros
compensation
Cons
temp assignment
Wonderful mission and dedicated staff
Development Officer, Planned Giving (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 15, 2018
The Development Office is full of professional folks that are dedicated to the mission of the hospital. There was ample opportunity to increase knowledge and understanding of medical and research areas to facilitate relationship building efforts.
"You don't fit in"
Medical Assistant/Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  165 Cambridge StreetAugust 20, 2018
Very hard to fit in. One mistake and you....are labeled. Excellent patients and Doctors. This practice has a habit of reprimanding employees in front of patients. Got to the point where I was going to leave. Unfortunately I did not make it through my "Probationary Period". Was given "ELIGIBLE FOR REHIRE" Status after termination. Very difficult practice for Male MA-C's,so I was told before I accepted the job.
Pros
Excellent benefits. Trusting Doctor's.
Cons
Some employees need to know what their place is. "Not fitting in"
Stressful and fast passed
Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 15, 2018
Getting your foot in the door as a unit coordinator is the best thing to do as unit coordinators are AWLAYS needed. It is a stressful position though as you are required to answer 2-3 phones at a time. Most nurses are rude to unit coordinators and can haze you a bit in the beginning. Sometimes they will tell you that you did not page them when their patient needed something and as you know patient care is the most important thing. You have to pick and choose your battles BUT once you gained 1-2 years experience transfer to a different position as soon as possible.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Competitive environment, hazing
Great Company
CT Technologist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 4, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my time here at MGH, I would recommend working here given the chance.

Everyone I had worked with was properly trained and was not afraid to share their knowledge, which is great when coming to a new facility!
Pros
Great teaching facility, run better than most.
Cons
parking
Excellent hospital in general and pathology department specifically was excellent and well managed.
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 8, 2018
Working at MGH required very specific requirements and quality control, which were very clear and easy to follow. Management worked well with its employees. I specifically worked in the Pathology department and the Flow Cytometry sub-department consisting of 3 employees. Was a very relaxed environment even though there were very specific guidelines and requirements. Very friendly environment and was able to interact with other departments as needed.
Pros
Very satisfying daily job production
Growing Experience
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 28, 2018
I love working at MGH. I have learned so many things. I have dealt with patients of different backgrounds and languages. I have seen patients with different medical conditions. I have grown a lot in my time here. I know who I am and I know what I want.
Pros
Growing experience
Best place to work
Practice Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 26, 2018
Provides a great learning experience that will challenge your skills and prepare you for future advancements. They also offer a great mentoring program for high school students by pairing them up with employees that are currently working in their area of interest.
I recommend Mass General for all needed as the best Hospital
Phlebotomy Technician/specimen te ch (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 15, 2018
I have been working at Massachusetts Hospital for more than 10 years as a PCA / phlebotomist , it was a good experience for me and I learn more how to protected patients privacy by HIPA training
Good place to start
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 18, 2018
As a non clinical employee, this was a great place for me to learn what I like and don't like about healthcare and what area of healthcare is best.
Aside from the learning part, this place isn't super great. You don't get really great benefits or great pay, you're expected to be happy you get to put MGH on your resume.
It's a teaching hospital, let people teach you, learn what you need to learn, and move on.
Pros
learning environment, coffee, free medical advice
Cons
hours, low pay, useless benefits, stressful
Traveling Nurse
Registered Traveling Nurse on Phillips (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 2, 2018
I worked at MGH 10 years ago on a VIP unit and found the hospital fast past with many opportunities to learn and participate to advance in my career. Staff were friendly and supportive in acting as team to provide care to patients
Excellent hospital. Enjoy working at MGH.
Credentialing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 19, 2018
Exceptional hospital with exceptional values and culture. Truly proud to be part of such an amazing organization. MGH practices excellence every day!
Pros
Workplace culture is amazing
Cons
Long commute from my home

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Massachusetts General Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight