Massachusetts Institute of Technology Employee Reviews

A decent working place
Subaward Administrator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MASeptember 7, 2018
my work load was overwhelming, very busy, often worked over-time. The pay was decent. Employee benefits were decent too. The working environment was peaceful. some co-workers were nice, but some were not so friendly. The manager was nice at the beginning, but at the end, became very mean. He liked to surf on the internet for his personal purposes, and divided many of his duties to his subordinates. The good thing is to have many chances to meet with very talented and highly educated people when you work in this world-famous school. The campus is beautiful. the working culture is open-minded, very emphasizing the productivity. Overall, this is a decent working place. If I have chance to get a job here, I would like to work for this organization again,
MIxed bag
Health Plan Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MASeptember 14, 2018
Management, and work-life balance, varies greatly by department. While they encourage professional development, there is little time to take advantage of it.
Pros
Benefits, people
Cons
Cost of benefits
Great culture
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAAugust 16, 2018
My supervisors ask my opinion, respect efficiency, give great/positive feedback for a good job. Great work/life balance. I never have an issue getting a day off or if I have to leave early. They have confidence in my skills and appreciate my work. Kind/caring office culture.

Seems to be a bit old school minded, in an overall sense. However, lots of seminars, lots of training, lots of appreciation. Hard-workers surround me and they are all compassionate. Overall, amazing work environment!
Cons
A bit old school
Good Development Office
Assistant Director of Gift Planning (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJuly 30, 2018
MIT's development office is strong. The development staff are good at what they do and are dedicated to the mission. Management is interested in career development and work life balance of its staff.
Great location and place to work
Operations/Administrative Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJuly 6, 2018
Great work ethics, great management, and workplace culture is superb. An advancement in my career is what I hope for, and the toughest part of the role is finding people who can get you to the next stage of your task. If you are not assertive, you will not learn.
Pretty productive but can be fun
Scientist (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAAugust 16, 2018
I learned how to make a DNA plasmid library and to make a cell culture. All of it was in a technique and over time I was getting better at it and the concentration results I got for my DNA were getting higher.
Pros
It had are conditioning in there and very good management time to work and to take a break.
Cons
Driving all the way to Cambridge and back in traffic
MIT, a world of its own
Sr. Clinical Assistant/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAAugust 31, 2018
Nice place to work, good benefits and pay. Parking is pricey, however, free commuter T pass. Workplace culture is different in every department. The hardest part of working at MIT is dealing with horrible managers.
Like working at Disney for techies. It's an amazing place.
Client Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJuly 14, 2018
It was a phenomenal experience to work within an earshot of legends in fields such as AI, robotics, AR/VR and many other cutting edge areas of tech. Faculty, students and the POCs at our portfolio companies made the job so wonderful. I met a lot of very kind people. Many that I still keep in touch with to this day and have become good friends with. Sadly, it was a very negative office culture with very low moral.
Pros
I interacted daily with amazing faculty, students and POCs at our portfolio companies, if you love tech, helping people succeed and are eternally curious you're going to make lots of new friends
Cons
Pre-existing low moral, high turnover, highly politicized environment and little interaction between coworkers outside of meetings.
Great benefits. Stable environment but low opportunity for advancement
Tech Consultant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJuly 18, 2018
MIT is a wonderful place if you land in the right department. It's like its own town and each neighborhood is different. If you land in a good one you'll be fine. If you land in a bad one you may want to find a quick exit strategy.

Departments with lots of cubes or spread across several buildings means being cut off from co-workers and isolated. This along with multiple re-orgs and cutbacks have resulted in low morale and a toxic environment where many have left in a mass exodus. Beware and talk to someone in the department you're applying to or interested in.

The benefits are amazing, the campus is beautiful, the people are bright, the work can be interesting or mundane based on your job. But the prestige of working there is incredible to leverage.
Pros
Health benefits, beautiful campus, bright people, interesting work. restige of working there is incredible to leverage.
Cons
Possible isolation, low morale, obstructionist managers, some intellectual hubris
Great coworkers, flexible working hours, free food
Researcher, Internet Policy Research Initiative (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MANovember 26, 2018
Great coworkers, good environment. Not much flexibility in choosing projects thanks to the hierarchy in research but great opportunities to grow and join topics interesting to you.
Pros
Coworkers, free food, flexible working hours
Cons
Culture of constant working, not great pay
Very Poor Management
Program Associate - Professional Education (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJanuary 16, 2019
Worked for Professional Education department it has very very poor Leadership with Top-down management

Favoritism plays a big role
My manager was micro-managing type

very very stressful environment
Everyone in the office are unhappy for 1 thing or other
Pros
Brand is the only Pro
Flexible and challenging
Office of the Executive Vice President & Treasurer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMay 31, 2018
Typical day, worked and managed my own schedule and work; most enjoyable: working on graphics and posting feature stories for intranet; hardest part: dealing with higher ed superiority.
Pros
benefits, flexible schedule, work
Cons
people management
Assistant professor
AISSTANT PROFESSOR OF APPLIED MATHEMATICS (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 26, 2018
Taught classes and conducted research as assistant professor of applied math. Led Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program. Gave departmental seminars.
Pros
Intellectual stimulation
Cons
Competitive, hard to get tenure.
Not an Ideal Place
Financial Coodinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 31, 2018
I've learned while working here that hard work does not pay off. They have no concept of cost of living in the Boston area. The department head is great. However, other managers leave much to be desired. Management is very good at hypocrisy and talking out of both sides of their mouths.
Excellent place to work
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJuly 12, 2018
Excellent place to work, great benefits, would continue to work here but would like to relocate so need to search new opportunities outside of Massachusetts.
Collaborative workplace
Front of House Supervisor, Simmons Hall House Café (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAApril 14, 2018
*Management seems to be invested in your career and really listen to your concerns. They work very well with schedules and very friendly work place environment.
the hardest part of the job is during the servicing time
Pros
Free lunches and dinner
Excellent Place to work
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAAugust 8, 2018
MIT values employees, there are always great training opportunities support internal employee promotions. Great colleagues

The brightest mind in the world you can work with.
Pros
Great environment
Mit
Academic Administrator (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMarch 28, 2018
MIT offers great salary and benefits. It can be more corporate for a college/university, but it is a pretty good place to work. It's collaborative and friendly, but management tends to lack focus and a clear vision for the future.
Intense, productive, but you’re disposable
Postdoctoral Associate (Former Employee) –  Middlesex County, MANovember 23, 2017
I worked here as an international scholar. Averaged 70 hours per week and I trained some excellent students. The workplace is hyper-competitive, and this is encouraged top-down to facilitate productivity.

My PI didn’t get tenure and the lab closed, meaning that my visa was invalidated and I had to leave the US. No assistance was given from MIT for reemployment, job searches, or for my obligatory relocation.

This is a good place to work if you have the stamina (high risk of burnout) and have thick skin. Your success here depends almost exclusively on your supervisor. None US citizens (about 50% of scholars there) have the added risk of being thrown out of the country without notice if there is any change to the job.
Pros
Lots of resources to get research done
Cons
No job security
summary
Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  cambridge maJanuary 9, 2018
Good place to work, but there was a fair bit of nepotism. I was laid off and as I was leaving, the guy that had my job before me came back from a failed start-up with the same job title.
Also the department manager at the time gave me different directives than my immediate supervisor and their lack of collaboration made things difficult.
This was a learning experience for me on many levels. Lots of politics and I probably wont return.
Pros
lots to learn
Cons
management and lack of accountability

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

43%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss