Massachusetts Institute of Technology Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Great culture
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAAugust 16, 2018
My supervisors ask my opinion, respect efficiency, give great/positive feedback for a good job. Great work/life balance. I never have an issue getting a day off or if I have to leave early. They have confidence in my skills and appreciate my work. Kind/caring office culture.

Seems to be a bit old school minded, in an overall sense. However, lots of seminars, lots of training, lots of appreciation. Hard-workers surround me and they are all compassionate. Overall, amazing work environment!
Cons
A bit old school
Mixed Review
Student Life Office Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAAugust 13, 2018
MIT Sloan is over-reliant on temporary workers. I was in my position for a year and a half and never received consideration for a full time position. I was very much treated like a temporary employee.
Na
technician (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAAugust 9, 2018
Good benefits, especially transportation benefits. Average medical care at MIT medical. Busy work schedule, plans can change in the day for work. Summer is fun.
Excellent Place to work
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAAugust 8, 2018
MIT values employees, there are always great training opportunities support internal employee promotions. Great colleagues

The brightest mind in the world you can work with.
Pros
Great environment
Good Development Office
Assistant Director of Gift Planning (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJuly 30, 2018
MIT's development office is strong. The development staff are good at what they do and are dedicated to the mission. Management is interested in career development and work life balance of its staff.
Great benefits. Stable environment but low opportunity for advancement
Tech Consultant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJuly 18, 2018
MIT is a wonderful place if you land in the right department. It's like its own town and each neighborhood is different. If you land in a good one you'll be fine. If you land in a bad one you may want to find a quick exit strategy.

Departments with lots of cubes or spread across several buildings means being cut off from co-workers and isolated. This along with multiple re-orgs and cutbacks have resulted in low morale and a toxic environment where many have left in a mass exodus. Beware and talk to someone in the department you're applying to or interested in.

The benefits are amazing, the campus is beautiful, the people are bright, the work can be interesting or mundane based on your job. But the prestige of working there is incredible to leverage.
Pros
Health benefits, beautiful campus, bright people, interesting work. restige of working there is incredible to leverage.
Cons
Possible isolation, low morale, obstructionist managers, some intellectual hubris
Like working at Disney for techies. It's an amazing place.
Client Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJuly 14, 2018
It was a phenomenal experience to work within an earshot of legends in fields such as AI, robotics, AR/VR and many other cutting edge areas of tech. Faculty, students and the POCs at our portfolio companies made the job so wonderful. I met a lot of very kind people. Many that I still keep in touch with to this day and have become good friends with. Sadly, it was a very negative office culture with very low moral.
Pros
I interacted daily with amazing faculty, students and POCs at our portfolio companies, if you love tech, helping people succeed and are eternally curious you're going to make lots of new friends
Cons
Pre-existing low moral, high turnover, highly politicized environment and little interaction between coworkers outside of meetings.
Excellent place to work
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJuly 12, 2018
Excellent place to work, great benefits, would continue to work here but would like to relocate so need to search new opportunities outside of Massachusetts.
Great location and place to work
Operations/Administrative Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJuly 6, 2018
Great work ethics, great management, and workplace culture is superb. An advancement in my career is what I hope for, and the toughest part of the role is finding people who can get you to the next stage of your task. If you are not assertive, you will not learn.
Great environment and smart people
Technical Associate (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJuly 2, 2018
It is a very supportive and inspiring nature of work. You would always be challenged and asked to excel. Not driven by number of hours but results. Very strong team and supportive environment.
Best
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJune 23, 2018
Expertice in variety of fields
Scholarships and grants
Diverse activities
Free food frequently
Friendly work environment on main campus
Collaborative spirit
Can be a decent place to work if you adjust to the culture
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsJune 22, 2018
Cn be a fun and challeging place to work, not much for a work life balance, the commute can be difficult if you are not in the area. Things move slow to make changes or new purchases for equipment.
Great Place to work
Cohort Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJune 12, 2018
It was a great place to work. I enjoyed the people and everything about coming into work at a place like this. It the standard and would be great if everyone had a chance to work there.
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJune 3, 2018
As a graduate student, you can get to interact with many people who are smart. Great science is being done across many groups. It can be stressful sometimes, but work hard play hard applies in all aspects of life there.
Flexible and challenging
Office of the Executive Vice President & Treasurer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMay 31, 2018
Typical day, worked and managed my own schedule and work; most enjoyable: working on graphics and posting feature stories for intranet; hardest part: dealing with higher ed superiority.
Pros
benefits, flexible schedule, work
Cons
people management
MIT culture is quite diverse
Director, Professional Education Short Programs (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMay 31, 2018
There is a big difference in job satisfaction depending on the specific department you work in at MIT, and they type of job you have. I have had three different jobs here.
Great
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 19, 2018
Passionate people
Great projects
Funny & efficient style
Low task & time management skills
Colleagues are supportive managers not so much
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMay 15, 2018
camaraderie in the workplace is nice, a sense of closeness amongst co-workers actually improves happiness and productivity. As a manager I have never minimize the importance of team bonding because it:
-helps team to perform better
-improves the ability to work as a team
-boosts employee retention rates
benefits
Cons
Faculty are not managers...
Research Supervisor: Non-Teaching Faculty
Lecturer/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMay 14, 2018
I supervised students on UROPS.

I helped architect and design critical Athena cloud computing systems.

I wrote and debugged code for critical Athena cloud computing systems.
Une université avec des moyens
Assistant (Former Employee) –  BostonMay 14, 2018
Une équipe de chercheurs dynamique qui pousse vers le dévelopment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.6InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

3.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight