Massachusetts Trial Court Employee Reviews

Stay away from the Trial Court
manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 30, 2018
Terrible management. I learned firsthand that different rules apply to different people. Place is run like a mafia. There is no accountability. Stay away!
Pros
state job (pension, good benefits)
Cons
management
fast paced
Urinalysis Technician (Current Employee) –  65 Federal Street Salem MassachusettsSeptember 29, 2018
Great place to work and learn, all employees helpful and understanding very diverse work force which makes it easier to work different groups of people who come there every day.
Pros
great people
Cons
no room for advancement
Per Diem Interpreter
Court Certified Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 20, 2018
Contract work with the office of court interpreters. travel to the trial courts of MA to provide interpreting services to individuals with limited English language skills. Travel from court to court can be tiring, and having to park also can be a challenge.
I enjoy helping others who need help navigating the courts system.
Best job I’ve ever had
Court Officer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 19, 2018
Love the job. Would recommend it to anyone who has a passion for law enforcement but wants a Monday- Friday 9-5 style shift . Great career path for both male and female
My Dream Job turned into a Nightmare
Case Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 26, 2018
This is a place that I would not recommend for anyone to work. I worked hard to get to work there only to be completely disappointed. While my coworkers were professional upper management showed otherwise. There was no structure and no training for the newcomers. While on the job training can prove beneficial to others, we all were struggling because different answers were given.

Also, management had no idea what they were doing and felt to talk to you like you were a child. They too, had no idea what they were doing. These jobs are politically motivated and they will stop at nothing to get rid of you even if you stand up for yourself for the wrongs that they are doing.

The Register, Assistant Register, and 1st Assistant Register do not have a grasp on that department and do not recommend anyone to waste their time working there.

I had to quit because even God could not save the Registry of Probate department.
Benefits
Cons
Political Motivation, Inadequate Training, Unnecessary Punishments
Okay place to work but stressful
Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAMarch 26, 2018
People arent happy when they come to probate court. It is very stressful, but you can be quite helpful to customers. Patience is a virtue. It needed more organization.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Nepotism
Challenging work environment with frequent managerial changes
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 13, 2018
The MA Trial Court is an interested and unique workplace with managerial challenges. There is good opportunity to work in a host of different areas, though job descriptions change a lot.
Political environment
APO (Former Employee) –  Essex County, MA Lynn Juv. & Salem Juv.February 18, 2018
As a APO I was the set up guy, intakes, getting juveniles ready for arraignment. Interacting with police departments and DCF. Other duties are court coverage, administ drug test, Under the direction of the Chief Probation Officer.
Pros
Fast moving day, getting respect from your peers. A great feeling of satisfaction.
Cons
Stressful, demanding and
Diverse culture
Criminal Defense Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 31, 2018
Working as an attorney / independent contractor for the trial court. Would like to do something different.

Pace can vary, depending on the event that's scheduled.

I've learned to prepare for court and then apply myself there.

Management is mediocre.

Workplace culture centered around patronage.

Hardest part of the job is the stress.

Most enjoyable part of the job is obtaining my objective.
Pros
Varies
Cons
Varies
Awful
Associate Court Officer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 31, 2018
Bad awful im ready to seek employment elsewhere. Innthr beginning when i first started i liked it but now that ive been here for years the job is no longer fun.
Professional Environment
Court Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MAJuly 24, 2017
Best job I ever had was with the Trial Court. Courtroom Sessions Clerk specifically. I had the best Boss ever. Very supportive. Allowed me to make mistakes, learn and grow. Great Mentor!! I also enjoyed the hustle and bustle of the Trial Court. Always busy.

Workplace culture was what you made of it. The best thing for me was remaining independent of politics, cliques and gossip. It helps to remain friends with everyone. take no sides. I found it helped in my everyday growth and development.

I really have no "Hardest" part of the job to report. As I said, I loved this job. I began as an introductory level Procedures Clerk (Case Coordinator now), I was Promoted to Courtroom Sessions Clerk, Then to Office Manager.

I retired from the Court after 10 years in order to pursue a full-time military job with full Active Duty benefits and entitlements which at the time was a great move for my family.
Pros
Great Benefits, Professional People and Environment
Cons
Dealing with the Public - Must be Committted to Public Service
Excellent Internship
Court Service Intern (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAMay 27, 2017
While I was never employed by the courthouse, I did complete a 3 months internship over the summer. I learned how to draft various court documents and gained direct experience with the court system.
good
Intern, Department of Research and Planning (Current Employee) –  Brighton, MADecember 18, 2016
People there are really nice and the working atmosphere is quite relaxing, I like it very much. Also, I learn a lot through interacting with my supervisor.
Court interpreting/translating is very interesting and challenging!
Per Diem Spanish Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Northeastern MassachusettsSeptember 4, 2016
As a per diem, contract interpreter for the Massachusetts Trial Court System, I travel to many courts and work in District, Probate, Civil, Juvenile, and/or Housing Courts.

In addition, I am contacted for out of court assignments after court hours by Public Defenders and private attorneys.

It is truly a fascinating job; however, it would be awesome to receive benefits, paid holidays, sick time, and vacation time.

I have learned to function under strenuous conditions, such as for jury trials, for inmates and their attorneys , and/or probation officers, for Restraining Orders Sessions, etc.

I very much enjoy seeing, and occasionally collaborating with, my colleagues.

We each receive our schedules for the upcoming week [subject to change], and it's always fun to open the Email to learn where and when we will be scheduled.

We interact regularly with schedulers out of the Boston based Office of Court Interpreter Services, and aside from them, we are for the most part independent contractors.

We fill out invoices, called DSR's, in order to get paid for each court we attend, and submit them by mail.

I very much enjoy working as a court interpreter, but would appreciate receiving a regular paycheck. The hardest part of the job is waiting to get paid.
Pros
Being a court interpreter is always challenging and fascinating, but never boring
Cons
Paychecks are paid whenever they are processed, but one cannot expect to be paid every 2 weeks.
Maintaining overall security of the court house. Providing a safe work site.
Court Officer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 30, 2016
Working for Trial Court has been a great opportunity for me in my life. Providing security for judges, lawyers, prisoners and the general public has been very rewarding. I work daily with great court officers who have taken the time to teach me how to be successful on the job.
Productive and sometimes disappointing
PROBATION OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 15, 2016
Non-stop protecting public safety and enforcing court orders. Iour job is to take people in bad situations and get them help and mentor them into a productive person.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Stressfull
Productive and never boring.
Probation Officer (Current Employee) –  Salem, MAFebruary 18, 2016
It is a productive place on a daily basis and you learn to deal with both positive and negative personalities. A typical day is working with other co workers on various projects associated with the job. Example: On a daily basis resolving conflicts or problems that the general public may need help in correcting.
Pros
Secure Job (9-5).
Cons
Dealing a multitude of attitudes on a daily basis.
Great work/life ratio
Assistant Coordinator of Community Services (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 18, 2015
I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Commonwealth of Massachusetts (Boston, MA). Truly enjoyed my time and the people I worked with.
Courthouse
Court Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Dedham, MAOctober 4, 2015
You really get to see another side of life working in a courthouse . You also get to meet some good people with fellow staff and meeting jurors. However you also meet some really bad people and you have to be very careful handling them because they are looking for a way to flee on you as you escort them to the courtroom or back to the lockup.
Pros
steady employment
Cons
danger of a disruptive inmate or public who disrupt courtroom
Challenging rewarding job.
Assistant Chief Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  Worcester,MAFebruary 4, 2015
Supervised offenders for 20 years, juveniles and adults. Conducted investigations and field visits. Wrote reports and determined risk and needs of offenders.