Massachusetts Trial Court

Massachusetts Trial Court Employee Reviews

United States41 reviews
Immensely interesting place to work.
Days are unpredictable which makes it a learning day every day. That for me is a good day every day. It was hard for me to learn that although the Courts say they are very much appreciate your work, and that the LEPs were also appreciative of my work, I did not receive a raise in more that 10 years. Management wasn't perfect but was certainly very good. I always felt management was on my side and I was very grateful for that. The culture from Court to Court varies a great deal, however in general, there is good camaraderie in courthouses. The hardest part of the job was not being able to help some people despite all the efforts of the system and the persons willing to help. The most enjoyable part was the many thank-you's I received. The instant reward I receive when I am able to see that an LEP understands and is ready to move on thanks to the new information he or she has.
Terrible pay and management
Terrible management who give misleading or contradictory orders with absolutely zero accountability. I worked hard throughout my time working for the trial court only to be backstabbed and left high and dry in the end. I couldn’t trust anyone there except my immediate coworkers and felt like I was constantly under attack or being scrutinized. Stay away from the central BMC criminal clerks office!
Very Productive
A typical day at work is very productive and energises, As an Associate Court Officer we screen everyone in from the building, we used Xray to identify illegal objects such as gun, knife, blade. We provide information, and guide the public.
Great Agency
I learned alot while working with the Trial Court. I was always challenged each day I went to work. Management was great in guiding me while I working in different places as well as coworkers. Stay away from the workplace rumor mill and drama, you'll do just fine.
Good job with great benefits
Great way to get into the Trial Court. Weekend and holiday hours but the money is good. Not much room for advancement and need to deal with some unruly clients.
Leave a review. Help people like you.
One of the worst State agencies
The Trial Court has had its share of scandal, critical understaffing, waste of funds and mismanagement. There is a culture of divide, and a pecking order you need to understand before you work for the judiciary. The Justices, Clerk Magistrates and their immediates are at the top of the food chain. No one else really matters.
Pros
Benefits, Retirement, Diverse experience and decent salary depending on your position
Cons
Everything else.
Excellent work/life balance
I worked 8-430 each day and there was no requirement to take home weekend work. I learned invaluable skills researching and writing on behalf of the justices. I was able to hone my writing skills.
"The more things change the more they stay the same."
The job is good in regards to job security, generous benefits/retirement and a great 9-5 work schedule with holidays and weekends off. However, advancement into the ranks of Court Officer can be some what difficult due current physical fitness standards and an 8 week intense
academy that is complete overkill. It is unfortunate that a good work ethic and an excellent evaluation helps very little in earning a promotion.
Was a great job with great benefits
I have nothing to say about this section. The job and the people were awesome. I was there for 17 years and learned a lot about the court system and how very differently people react to judgments
Pros
Enjoyed people
Cons
Didn’t advance as I thought I should
Underpaid and unfair management.
You will be underpaid, unappreciated, & management is extremely unfair. Being lazy is acceptable and good work ethic will never be recognized or rewarded. No opportunities for advancement & retirement benefits are a joke.
Fine if you’re politically connected
The working atmosphere is all about who you know, not what you know. If not with the “IN “ group then be prepared for a rough time! You will be excluded from parties, activities, trainings, etc. just like in elementary school.
Pros
Great salaries
Cons
Understaffed, poor quality of upper management
This review is solely based off my experience working at Newburyport District and Superior Courts. As an Associate Court Officer (ACO) you will be operating the x-ray machine, metal detector, garret wand and pat downs at the front door. For the first few weeks (only applies to District, you will not be sent to Superior until you are familiar with your role as an ACO) you will be assisted by another Court Officer (CO) until you fully understand how to properly scan visitors and their property. As an ACO you are also the information desk. Although District is small, you will need to know the role of each office (Probation, Clerks, District Attorney, Juvenile Probation, Law Library, Jury room), in order to send visitors to the correct office. Do your job to the best of your abilities and stay out of the workplace drama. Word spreads fast in this courthouse so be careful what you say. Although I had been given the opportunity to attend the Court Officer academy while only on the job for a few months, I declined and had begun looking for a different career. What led to this decision was how poor the management was. I understand the Chief Court Officer has the power to make decisions, however, I felt that she had often abused her right. To summarize, if you want to work as front door security at a courthouse without much foot traffic, poor management that lacks leadership qualities, and nonstop gossiping drama then this is the perfect place for you.
Pros
Cons
management lacks leadership qualities, too much workplace drama
Good benefits.. that's about it
Typical days are hectic and then sometimes unorganized due to poor leadership

I've been there a long time and there wasn't much room for advancement to to politics and seniority
Pros
Good pay and Benefits
Cons
No room for advancement, all seniority based
Positive place to work if with the right group.
The MA Trial Court was a very good place to work. A typical day was very busy and varied from person to person. The hardest part of the job was working with management. There were too many ranks, with no real work for them to do. Some of them were not able to even function at the same level as their subordinates. It appears that it was beneath them to go back to that level.
Stay away from the Trial Court
Terrible management. I learned firsthand that different rules apply to different people. Place is run like a mafia. There is no accountability. Stay away!
Pros
state job (pension, good benefits)
Cons
management
fast paced
Great place to work and learn, all employees helpful and understanding very diverse work force which makes it easier to work different groups of people who come there every day.
Pros
great people
Cons
no room for advancement
Loved helping people resolve their issues
I was a problem solver. No problem went unsolved.fixed computers, hardware, printers, networking issues, in stalle same. Ran cable, punh downs.Installed network switches and routers.
Pros
Learned alot
Cons
Manager was narcicist
Per Diem Interpreter
Contract work with the office of court interpreters. travel to the trial courts of MA to provide interpreting services to individuals with limited English language skills. Travel from court to court can be tiring, and having to park also can be a challenge.
I enjoy helping others who need help navigating the courts system.
Best job I’ve ever had
Love the job. Would recommend it to anyone who has a passion for law enforcement but wants a Monday- Friday 9-5 style shift . Great career path for both male and female
My Dream Job turned into a Nightmare
This is a place that I would not recommend for anyone to work. I worked hard to get to work there only to be completely disappointed. While my coworkers were professional upper management showed otherwise. There was no structure and no training for the newcomers. While on the job training can prove beneficial to others, we all were struggling because different answers were given.

Also, management had no idea what they were doing and felt to talk to you like you were a child. They too, had no idea what they were doing. These jobs are politically motivated and they will stop at nothing to get rid of you even if you stand up for yourself for the wrongs that they are doing.

The Register, Assistant Register, and 1st Assistant Register do not have a grasp on that department and do not recommend anyone to waste their time working there.

I had to quit because even God could not save the Registry of Probate department.
Benefits
Cons
Political Motivation, Inadequate Training, Unnecessary Punishments
Okay place to work but stressful
People arent happy when they come to probate court. It is very stressful, but you can be quite helpful to customers. Patience is a virtue. It needed more organization.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Nepotism
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Massachusetts Trial Court. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.6
InHerSight Score
2.2Personal Development
2.9Career Opportunities
2.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight