Massage Envy Employee Reviews

Found 4,654 reviews matching the search See all 4,663 reviews
not worth it
Wellness Coordinator (Former Employee) –  League City, TXJune 19, 2019
It's an ok job, but you stand a lot and only have 1 thirty minute break. Have to sell memberships even though most people just come in for a one time massage or facial. Then you don't meet membership goals, you have the manager and owner down your throat.
Always given busy work, booked appointments, customer service.
Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond, TXJune 19, 2019
Management here isn’t the best, the schedule is unfair. I was available 4-5 days a week and was only put on the schedule 1-2 days a week at the rate of $9 an hour. Front Desk handled every situation in the clinic and it was very stressful. For the amount of work and selling I had to do, I felt like my determination and effort for this job was worth more than $9 an hour 1-2 days a week.
Pros
Cons
Low pay, 15 minuet lunch break.
Management is better than average
Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Tracy, CAJune 19, 2019
Massage Envy as a whole is not a great company. You are worked to death and not offered any paid time off. You have to work a minimum of 30 hours for benefits which, as a service provider is A LOT! I'm pretty sure the company as well as the franchisee make quite a bit of money but they pay the bare minimum. I'd steer clear if possible.
Stressful
Clinic Administrator (Former Employee) –  Creve Coeur, MOJune 18, 2019
There is great deal of turnover, so keeping the front desk staffed is a full time job on its own. Also balancing client relations and therapist relations is difficult balancing act.
Just a stepping stone
Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJune 18, 2019
Massage envy is a good start if you’re getting back into Massage Therapy but I would not recommend it for the long run. Going into this position I was told whatever would make me accept the job and had to find the truth out the hard way on my own. Management is very poor and they seem to hurt heads a lot always trying to one-up one another. The pay is minimum wage if you’re not booked which is not doable when you have bills and a mortgage to pay. The only great thing I would say about working here is the discounts off services and flexible schedule.
productive
FRONT DESK SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDJune 17, 2019
Learned a lot, the team was great, but I think management is not strong enough, maybe because of owners. Payment is higher than other hotels. The biggest problem, very limited career rise.
Productive work place
massage therapist (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJune 17, 2019
Management was alright but policies and procedures need to be changed for the better. A clearer understanding of their zero tolerance policy is highly recommended.
Good place to work. But I’m seeking a New Career.Every
Licensed Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NC 28601June 17, 2019
Every job has it’s pros and cons. I’m seeking a New Career Path. I have done
Massage work do 11 years. It’s very strenuous job. I’m searching for a new
Career path and have the knowledge to pursue it. With Associates in Paralegal and also IT.
Pros
Tips
Cons
Don’t work. Don’t get paid.
Hated it
Receptionist/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 17, 2019
I liked the work itself, and the quiet atmosphere of the office. The manger was terrible and never in the office, when customers threatened to call corporate we would encourage them to. Very catty office, would not reccomend.
Steady work and reliable paycheck
Licensed Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 16, 2019
It's a good place to work if you like a steady and reliable schedule. Culture varies at each location, as well as pay. Also, a very good environment to start out of school to learn and hone your craft.
DO NOT Work here
Licensed Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJune 16, 2019
Do not work for a corporate place like envy or heights. They lie about pay. base pay is $8 per hour commission is $15. I made commission once. The costumers tip bad also.
Pros
endless clients
Cons
pay, type of clients, etc
A high stress situation where you can't control your success rate
Licensed Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 16, 2019
Average workday is packed from arrival to the last minute you are there. The coworkers make this place wonderful, but management in Columbus was not focused on supporting the therapists. Wages are not livable.
Do not work here
Wellness Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Miami, FL 33186June 16, 2019
I wouldn’t even recommend to work here for someone I didn’t like this place is very consuming and not worth it. You have to push people to join the membership and remember a script.
The training consists of going through a script for massage and facials over and over like a robot until you remember it. I felt uncomfortable and when I wasn’t fake enough in the script they told me to change my personality.
This isn’t my first job I’ve had several before and no one told me to change who I am, I usually am very respectful and patient and I just didn’t go there anymore. The manager also screamed at us the second day I was there and it made no sense to me at all since that issues was rooted since before I was there.
Very low morale and management cares so little that they demand meetings on Sunday evenings. They are only interested in money and getting people on the membership which is more like a contract they can’t get out of and don’t even get me started when they try to get off it. In other words just don’t work there it’s not Clients will call/drop in over and over & managers won’t want to speak with them so you will be the one getting YELLED AT.
Pros
Discounts, massages
Cons
Everything else
Very respected as an employee
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Spring TXJune 14, 2019
The owner is a tyrant but he is fair and just.
I can’t complain about the years that I worked there at all. Some of the managers were absolutely amazing.
Pros
Free massage once a month
Nice environment allowing for skill development
Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Glen Carbon, ILJune 13, 2019
Massage Envy is a great business for a massage therapist to hone their skills. It allowed me the flexibility to go to school while still making a living wage.
June 17, 2019

On behalf of Massage Envy Franchising, thank you for sharing your positive review! As a whole, franchisees aim to deliver on the Massage Envy brand promise--we help you take care of you--to their employees and we're so happy to hear that you're experiencing that promise delivered in your franchised location. We'll pass it along to the regional leadership for your area. Thanks again!

Not enough
Advanced Esthetician (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OHJune 13, 2019
You get paid minimum-wage (in Ohio it’s $8.55, I’m a licensed advanced esthetician) it’s near impossible to hit commission and even commission is low if there’s nothing on your schedule because most of the time they can’t schedule anything for you you’re sent home or put on call to which you’re not compensated for front desk employees were stealing tips management was not communicating with each other properly and they have a very large turnover rate your job there is not secure and you were a number to them
June 17, 2019

On behalf of Massage Envy Franchising, our apologies that your experience as an employee in a Massage Envy franchised location didn't leave you with a positive impression. Locations are independently owned and operated, so the employment experience--including compensation and pay structure--varies from one franchised location to another. As a whole, we believe franchisees aim to deliver on the Massage Envy brand promise--we help you take care of you--to their employees and we recognize that you didn't feel that promise delivered. We'll certainly share your feedback with the regional leadership for the Mentor area. If you'd like to provide some additional details to us via email to meemployeebrand@massageenvy.com, we'll be happy to pass them along.

Management Position
CLINIC MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Idaho Falls, IDJune 13, 2019
Every location is independently owned so you would need to talk to your nearest location to see what if offered and see what the culture is like. I worked for years as a manager with little time off, constantly having to cover front desk shifts. I was told I was maxed out on pay after only being a manager for 2 years but was constantly picking up new jobs that others in the company were not doing. I enjoyed the team members I worked with and I enjoyed getting to know the clients, but I had no life outside of Massage Envy. When life circumstances changed and my health and family became more important than a job, that is when I decided I couldn't continue to work at Massage Envy anymore. It didn't offer what I needed in order to keep myself happy.
June 17, 2019

On behalf of Massage Envy Franchising, thank you for sharing this feedback. Locations are independently owned and operated, so the employment experience varies from one franchised location to another. As a whole, we believe franchisees aim to deliver on the Massage Envy brand promise--we help you take care of you--to their employees and we recognize that you didn't feel that promise delivered. We'll certainly share your feedback with the regional leadership for the Idaho Falls area. If you'd like to provide some additional details to us via email to meemployeebrand@massageenvy.com, we'll be happy to pass them along.

The place has a bad reputation for a reason
Licensed Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Williston, VTJune 12, 2019
Despite what I had heard about massage envy I had to go find out for myself what it was like to work there. Started me at $16/hour and I had been an LMT for 3 years (also found out later that people just coming out of massage school were starting at $18/hour). They kept me busy but also pushed my limits, I asked to not have 4 straight hours booked in a row and they continually booked me despite me setting the boundaries not to. Morale is brutal. All the workers feel over worked and underpaid. I had an altercation where a coworker swore at me in front of a client and when I went to report him my manager gaslit me and told me "I've never heard him swear before." I also found out later that my manger lied about her age to me, which I still have no idea why she did that. Watch out, they won't support you here, and they'll use you until you are burnt out.
June 17, 2019

We at Massage Envy Franchising are sorry that this has been your experience as an employee in a Massage Envy franchised location. Locations are independently owned and operated, so the employment experience--including compensation and pay structure--varies from one franchised location to another. As a whole, we believe franchisees aim to deliver on the Massage Envy brand promise--we help you take care of you--to their employees and we recognize that you didn't feel that promise delivered. We'll certainly share your feedback with the regional leadership for the Williston area. If you'd like to provide some additional details to us via email to meemployeebrand@massageenvy.com, we'll be happy to pass them along.

Massage Therapist
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  El Dorado Hills, CAJune 12, 2019
They were the best owners, best management, best employees, best in retail. Good customer service and you’ll always leave with a smile on your face. I performed 60 to 90 min massage using Swedish, deep tissue, and stretching and enhanced therapies, kept good soap notes, refilled lotion, and cleaned massage rooms
June 17, 2019

On behalf of Massage Envy Franchising, thank you for sharing your positive review! We'll pass it along to the regional leadership for your area. Thanks again!

Dirty and moldy. Managers just interested in signing people up.
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  GainsvilleJune 12, 2019
Managers had no therapy skills or understanding how to run top notch spa. Always people leaving and constant pay check questions! Very low morale. Owners care so little that they demand meetings on Sunday evenings. They are only interested in $$$ The massage oils were so cheap and toxic I had to bring my own. This is to ensure that i don't get sick.
The facial woman got cancer. I used her room a few times. It was all full of mold. Direct connection.
Pros
Nothing i can think of
Cons
Many
June 18, 2019

On behalf of Massage Envy Franchising, our sincere apologies that your experience as an employee in a Massage Envy franchised location didn't leave you with a positive impression. Massage Envy Franchising expects franchisees to operate their independently owned franchised locations in compliance with brand standards and the conditions you’ve described do not align to those standards. If you could provide us with some additional details on your experience and your franchised location via email to meemployeebrand@massageenvy.com, we'll share your review with regional leadership so your concerns can be addressed with the franchised location.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Massage Envy. Our community is ready to answer.

51K
41.1K
31.1K

Women's ratings

1.7Fairygodboss Score

33%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

33%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss