Massage Envy Employee Reviews

Poor Management
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXDecember 11, 2018
I have worked for 3 massage envy’s in the past as each one if different. This past one was by far the worst experience. Computer in the back was broke so you would have to go up front to find if your client checked in. Unprofessional therapists. Therapist on their phones in rooms, texting clients, gossip, and swearing at other therapist. It was a horrible experience. The job itself was good. Clients were awesome and it worked for my schedule.
Pros
Clients were wonderful
Cons
Unprofessional workplace/ harassment
December 14, 2018

We at Massage Envy Franchising are sorry that this has been your experience as an employee in a Massage Envy franchised location. As a whole, we believe franchisees aim to deliver on the Massage Envy brand promise--we help you take care of you--to their employees and we recognize that you didn't feel that promise delivered. We'll certainly share your feedback with the regional leadership for your area. If you'd like to provide some additional details to us via email to meemployeebrand@massageenvy.com, we'll be happy to pass them along.

Massage Envy STL = worst job ever
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 28, 2018
Management is awful, they sit on their butts all day and let front desk do EVERYTHING alone. So much petty girl drama amongst the staff. You spend more time on the clock listening to drama than actually working. Wildwood, MO location management and front desk should all be fired and replaced. I worked for ME a total of 9 months and never in my life, have I ever felt as much disrespect and so looked down upon by coworkers. If all the (c u next Tuesday’s) up front could actually just focus on their jobs rather than worrying about what everyone else is doing, maybe this clinic wouldn’t be such a piece of shiz.
Pros
Discounted services and products
Cons
Staff
November 30, 2018

We at Massage Envy Franchising are sorry that this has been your experience as an employee in a Massage Envy franchised location. We'll share this feedback with the regional leadership for your area. If you'd like to share any additional details with us via email to meemployeebrand@massageenvy.com, we'll gladly pass them along as well.

Alright job for young person
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZDecember 6, 2018
At Massage Envy it was a pretty fun place to work. Whether it was corporate trainings or just working within the clinic they made it pretty fun. They do push membership sales and unfortunately I never got compensation for the memberships I did sale. Co-workers would sometimes take sales from you and put them under their name which was unfair. The manager I had was good. He was very considerate and really understood work-life balance. Overall, it wasn't a bad job. Definitely not a career.
December 7, 2018

On behalf of Massage Envy Franchising, thank you for sharing this feedback. We'd be happy to pass your review along to the regional leadership in your area. If you'd like to provide some additional details about the franchised location where you worked to us via email to meemployeebrand@massageenvy.com, we'll certainly share your feedback.

Great Job for young girls NOT mature women
Wellness Advisor (Former Employee) –  West side of ArizonaDecember 2, 2018
This place I had thought was great when I first started, little did I know there was nothing but little girls that worked there talking and gossiping all day every day, all they did was play on the internet and did their homework at work. I was one of the top performers there and still was singled out because I was the older one there. It was very unprofessional in every way, talking about clients as they leave and subjects that should not be work talk at a front desk. I was pulling my weight and everyone else and got nothing in return for it.
Pros
work life balnce
Cons
gossip unprofessional low pay working with kids
December 3, 2018

We at Massage Envy Franchising are sorry that this has been your experience as an employee in a Massage Envy franchised location. Locations are independently owned and operated, so the employment experience varies from one franchised location to another. We'd be happy to pass your review along to the regional leadership in your area. If you'd like to provide some additional details about the franchised location where you worked to us via email to meemployeebrand@massageenvy.com, we'll certainly share your feedback.

Good management/team work place culture
Assistant Business Manager & Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXNovember 13, 2018
My job entailed a lot of multi tasking. I learned how sales worked well enough to train new employees. I also assisted the Business Manager in maintaining client's membership accounts. Whenever the Business Manager wasn't there I was acting manager on duty for the service providers and front staff employees. The job can be fast paced and stressful because of all of the tasks and people you might need to attend to at he same time .
Pros
Positive work environment
Cons
The pay could better, and there isn't enough front staff
November 14, 2018

Massage Envy Franchising thanks you for your positive review. We'll pass it along to the regional leadership for your area. Thanks again!

Not a fun place to work
Certified Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Morgan Hill, CANovember 27, 2018
The pay is not very good maxing our at $20 hour. I’ve been here for 8 years and have not maxed out. Very low career advancement due to low wages, the owner is terrible. He rarely comes in, our previous owners we’re way more involved and made me feel more appreciated. We ask for things and get nothing in return for our requests. High demand from higher ups with no compensation for our hard work. The front desk staff isn’t very professional, and don’t know how to properly book schedule, they leave lots of gaps in people’s schedules.
Pros
You can make up your schedule however you want
Cons
Very low pay and no benefits
November 28, 2018

On behalf of Massage Envy Franchising, thank you for sharing this feedback. We'll certainly share your feedback with the regional leadership for your area. If you'd like to provide some additional details to us via email to meemployeebrand@massageenvy.com, we'll be happy to pass them along.

Giving the gift of relaxation.
Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Trumbull, CTDecember 7, 2018
Having the support staff at a day spa such as Massage Envy is one big reason I chose to work at this franchise; another being the wonderful clients and members whom I meet and have the opportunity to help with my skills as an LMT. My abilities to assess and plan a customized treatment each session is rewarded by the relaxed looks and gratitude of my clients post-sessions. Educating about postural adjustments and stretches to support proper muscle balance is a focus of my therapeutic relationships at Massage Envy.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere, helpful staff, flexible scheduling.
Cons
Bookings fluctuate seasonally.
December 10, 2018

On behalf of Massage Envy Franchising, thank you for sharing your positive review! We'll pass it along to the regional leadership for your area. Thanks again!

Relaxing and enjoyable
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Imperial Beach, CANovember 30, 2018
A typical day at work was a lot of appointment check ins & out as well as inhaling with inactive members .
• I learned that massages could be a big part of your health which can help stress from a daily basis.
• My management was quiet of unfair which I ended up leaving and later manager got fired.
• the most enjoyable part of my job was being able to see client come out the room stress free and ready to continue on with a new day feeling great
Pros
Massages & facials once a month
Cons
The management
December 4, 2018

On behalf of Massage Envy Franchising, thank you for sharing this feedback. If you'd like to share any additional feedback to be passed along to regional leadership in your area, please feel free to send via email to meemployeebrand@massageenvy.com.

Depends on the owner
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Simosonville, SC and Eugene, OrDecember 4, 2018
I have worked at 2 massage envy stores in 2 different states. The pay is horrible, worst in the industry. Tips helped a lot.
The big thing I learned is the owners make a huge difference. One that I worked for was nice and had decent management. the other was horrible and very poorly managed. They will pay you a low wage so you have to work too many hours to make a living and damage your body. A decent place to get a start but not a good term place if you want to make a living wage.
Pros
flexable schedule
Cons
poor pay, no benefits.
December 5, 2018

On behalf of Massage Envy Franchising, thank you for sharing this feedback. As a whole, we believe franchisees aim to deliver on the Massage Envy brand promise--we help you take care of you--to their employees and we've rolled out a nation-wide initiative in partnership with the American Massage Therapy Association aimed at providing franchisees with a variety of resources to promote and maintain a culture of care in their franchised locations. We'll certainly share your feedback with the regional leadership for your area. If you'd like to provide some additional details to us via email to meemployeebrand@massageenvy.com, we'll be happy to pass them along.

Overall
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZDecember 10, 2018
Great people to work with! Other than that the boss is always down your throat and he isn't one to help you work on what needs to be fixed. He complains and doesn't say anything to you and when you ask him what needed to be fixed or what you could work on he doesn't help you. Also the company is very cheap . When you start they tell you there is an opportunity to get a raise every 3 months but thats a lie and they jip on numbers so that no one could receive a raise.
Pros
Great co-workers, flexible hours
Cons
Micro-managing, low pay
December 10, 2018

On behalf of Massage Envy Franchising, our apologies that your experience as an employee in a Massage Envy franchised location left you with a negative impression. We'd be happy to pass your review along to the regional leadership in your area. If you'd like to provide some additional details about the franchised location where you worked to us via email to meemployeebrand@massageenvy.com, we'll certainly share your feedback.

It's a good job for college students
Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  La Cañada Flintridge, CANovember 9, 2018
I would say this job is good for college students because the hours are pretty flexible. The company usually hires for part-time positions only unless you're a manager. It worked with my schedule because I was going to school full-time. A typical day at work would be face-to-face interactions with clients checking in and out of the clinic. You are also on the phone a lot booking appointments and recommending therapists or estheticians. It's a lot of administrative work and very minimal cleaning.
Pros
free service every month
Cons
short breaks, management, lack of advancement
November 9, 2018

Thank you for your review. Locations are independently owned and operated, so the employment experience that each provides is unique. We'll pass it along to the regional leadership for your area. Thanks again!

Fast paced, corporate feel setting.
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Englewood, CONovember 7, 2018
Working for Massage Envy for almost 9 years. Takes a long time to build raises up. Management doesnt care much about how you are booked or if you have any emergency issues. If you are not booked you must sit around for your shift, and you do not get paid for it. Health insurance is not affordable, paid time off accrues. But it is not what you make per hour when used. Not all locations are ran the same.
Pros
Certain locations keep you booked
Cons
Feeling of being overworked and under appreciated
November 9, 2018

On behalf of Massage Envy Franchising, thank you for sharing this feedback. We'll share this feedback with the regional leadership for your area. If you'd like to share any additional details with us via email to meemployeebrand@massageenvy.com, we'll gladly pass them along as well.

Don't work here if you've been in the business for a while
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Coral Springs, FLNovember 2, 2018
The owners don't actually care about the place. They own two and would rather put their attention to the other location. You're lucky if you start off at 15-16. They'll tell you the reason for that is because of tips, but we all know that's not the case. It's the burger king of spas but as the therapist, you really don't have anything your way.
Sometimes therapists clean up after themselves, sometimes they don't. So be prepared for a mess before every shift, just in case that's what you actually get.
Pros
Part-time work, full time pay during peak season
Cons
Inconsistent pay, no real benefits, too stressful for a spa environment
November 5, 2018

We at Massage Envy Franchising are disappointed that you did not have a positive experience as an employee in a Massage Envy franchised location. Locations are independently owned and operated, so the employment experience varies from one franchised location to another. As a whole, we believe franchisees aim to deliver on the Massage Envy brand promise--we help you take care of you--to their employees and we recognize that you didn't feel that promise delivered. We'll share this feedback with the regional leadership for your area. If you'd like to share any additional details with us via email to meemployeebrand@massageenvy.com, we'll gladly pass them along as well.

Poor Ownership
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  American Fork, UTDecember 7, 2018
The owner has a lot of personal issues and takes them out on her employees to a point to where its just completely disrespectful. Struggles to control her anxieties. Doesn't offer benefits to full time employees. Was told I would get commission for the contracts I sold but never received them. Some of my coworkers have been there for years and have never been paid spiffs. Late to many mandatory meetings, and doesn't seem to respect our time. Working front desk is nice, but once the owner comes in, the environment becomes very tense. Hopefully they get a new owner soon. There are many great massage therapists and front desk associates at the American Fork location that deserve better leadership.
Pros
job itself is good
Cons
owner
December 7, 2018

We at Massage Envy Franchising are disappointed that you did not have a positive experience as an employee in a Massage Envy franchised location. As a whole, we believe franchisees aim to deliver on the Massage Envy brand promise--we help you take care of you--to their employees and we recognize that you didn't feel that promise delivered. We'll share this feedback with the regional leadership for your area. If you'd like to share any additional details with us via email to meemployeebrand@massageenvy.com, we'll gladly pass them along as well.

Wonderful people to work with in the scope of my practice as well as members.
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  North Reading, MAOctober 29, 2018
I arrive earily to my jobs and I take the time needed to make sure each and every client is taken care of. I take 15 mins. in between massages for self care. It's a warm place where people are happy and relaxed at recieving massage. The most enjoyable part of the job is making people feel great and pain relief and a wonderful feeling of having helped someone. There is nothing better than the feeling of contentment of having a great feeling that you have helped others on this planet.
Pros
making people feel better
Cons
aching hands
October 30, 2018

On behalf of Massage Envy Franchising, thank you for sharing your positive review! We're thrilled to hear that your experience as an employee in a Massage Envy franchised location was a positive one. We'll pass it along to the regional leadership for the North Reading area. Thanks again!

Good place to work for the experience.
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Warrington, PAOctober 28, 2018
If you're just starting a career or supplementing your income this is nice to place to start. But if your experienced in business fields, this isn't a place to utilize your skills or build a career. Once you master the technology and the role, advancement is limited as there as minimal senior roles within each store. If you plan to stay with the organization long term - it's best to view the company globally. Not for persons in limited physical condition as this role requires standing, lifting and environmental services.
Pros
Occasional free lunch, snacks, some flexibility in scheduling.
Cons
Pay could be higher, lack of advancement, loss of wages if errors are committed.
October 30, 2018

Great place to work.I enjoyed everything about working at massage envy.
Front desk associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 24, 2018
Massage Envy was one of my favorite places to work. The workplace culture was extremely pleasant to be around. I've learned many things about my skin while working at Massage Envy. The managers were great and nice. It was very peaceful coming into work because it is a spa like there are many plus to working in a spa like environment everyday. I would work here again if I was able to.
Pros
breaks, discounts
October 25, 2018

On behalf of Massage Envy Franchising, thank you for sharing your positive review! We're thrilled to hear that your experience as an employee in a Massage Envy franchised location was a positive one. We'll pass it along to the regional leadership for your area. Thanks again!

A good place to start your esthetics career
Esthetician (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Hill, CA & Concord, CAOctober 23, 2018
I worked at two different ME locations over a span of a year and a half. It was my first esthetics job out of school and was a good first step in my career. They make sure you are trained well, there are brand classes etc. The issues I had with both were lack of promotion of skincare services, management, owners, lack of communication, the back to back scheduling at the first location, and pressure to sell retail. Every location will have its own management and environment, so it’s worth a shot. However don’t expect to stay for the duration of your career.
October 24, 2018

On behalf of Massage Envy Franchising, thank you for sharing this feedback. Locations are independently owned and operated, so the employment experience that each provides is unique. We'll share this feedback with the regional leadership for your area. If you'd like to share any additional details with us via email to meemployeebrand@massageenvy.com, we'll gladly pass them along as well.

Great for 1st job or college student
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAOctober 17, 2018
Loved my job for a long time. Mainly the people I worked with. There really isnt much room for advancement though. Honestly, all the management positions don’t even pay enough to make it worth it. You could make just as much if not more staying as a sales associate and selling memberships. Less stress too. They are sales so be expected to meet goals daily. Perfect job for a college student. Flexible schedule
Pros
Health insurance, flexible schedule, discounted services
Cons
Pushy sales, low pay, minimal advancement
October 18, 2018

On behalf of Massage Envy Franchising, thank you for sharing this feedback. Locations are independently owned and operated, so the employment experience varies from one franchised location to another. Nonetheless, as a whole we believe franchisees aim to deliver on the Massage Envy brand promise--we help you take care of you--to their employees. We'll share this feedback with the regional leadership for your area. If you'd like to share any additional details with us via email to meemployeebrand@massageenvy.com, we'll gladly pass them along as well.

Nice environment with a great back and front staff
Junior Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, VAOctober 31, 2018
Massage Envy was my work home for a year and a month and I enjoyed working there a lot. I had great relationships with the front desk and the therapists. It was challenging at some points but the support of my skills and peers I was able to get through the day.
Pros
Time off/vacation time was always approved, flexible schedule, accessible restaurants nearby
Cons
Current management
November 1, 2018

Thank you for your review. We're thrilled to hear that your experience as an employee in a Massage Envy franchised location was a positive one. We'll pass it along to the regional leadership for your area. Thanks again!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Massage Envy. Our community is ready to answer.

41K

2.9

2.7Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight