Massage Envy

• Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Northern VA

The managers in this area were confusing, and there were many staffing changes. This was a good summer job, but I would not work there long term. The staff were friendly though! Also, they don't tell you but you have to be good with conflict and complaints from customers constantly.

Official response from Massage Envy

May 3, 2018
On behalf of Massage Envy Franchising, thank you for this feedback. We'll share it with the regional leadership for the Ashburn area. If you'd like to share any additional details with us via email to meemployeebrand@massageenvy.com, we'll gladly pass them along as well.

Everyone works as a team. I can use more money

It’s nice to work here because they are very flexible with your hours and very understanding if you are unable to do something or if something comes up they are very understanding.

Pros

You can always het work there

Cons

The pay can be better

They will use you and chew you up and find someone else to do the job for less $

It was great until PCRK bought us out. Management has been completely brainwashed by corporate. Seems like they only care about making monthly bonuses so they will do whatever they can do, even if it's not in the clients best interest... Such as "forgetting" to freeze someones membership til a certain date to get a bonus.

Flexible and responsive to my needs

My franchise is great. Our owners are so respectful of our needs as therapists. We set our schedules and boundaries and managers respect those. I appreciate not having to handle paperwork, advertising, etc.

Decent place to work

Great management, everyone I worked with was really chill, and overall the atmosphere was welcoming and easy going. The pay was not so great, though. I had to leave because I needed to work somewhere that would pay me better.

Pros

Good management, fun, inclusive

Cons

Unfair pay

Would you rate your company five stars?

Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.

Good for the moment

Laid back environment for the most part; some days are busier then others. It feels like you start a task and don’t finish it because there’s so many other things going on. Clients don’t realize that due to Covid a lot of therapists/aestheticians left; therefore we’re booked for the next 2 months and are personally offended; a lot if cancellations the past month. Heavy on sales, membership, enhancements and gift cards.

Cons

Can not sit, under staffed

Avoid this company

Because of the business hours, I never hit 40 hours so this job would be good as a second part-time job. The company lacks consistency among locations since they’re franchises, and whenever there are technical issues that only corporate can fix, the response time is extremely slow. Sometimes they just forward the issues back to the individual location without help. The company is membership based and with price changes, there is a lack of transparency in the contracts. It could’ve been just the location I worked at, but when the price increase happened, no one was informed of the exact numbers or how it would affect recent new members who were in their first year of membership. As a front desk associate, there was only one of us work at a time. Some days there’s be a two hour overlap from morning to evening shift but some days no overlap at all. But we were still required to clock out for breaks. We would clock out but still be working at the front desk. We would eat our lunch at the front desk but then got in trouble for eating at the front. The solution that the owner came to was making us take our breaks in that overlap time. So the morning person had to wait until right before leaving to eat lunch and the closer had to break right after starting. We didn’t need breaks then. We needed breaks mid shift. The good things about the company were low stress, flexible schedule, and part-time hours.

Pros

Works well if you just need a second part-time job

Cons

No time for breaks during shift

You're Replaceable

Fine if you're ok with bottom of the barrel pay in exchange for not having to answer calls, schedule appointments, manage linens, etc. Pace is very fast but doable if you're good with time management. Nice to have a big potential clientele base. Expect to be treated as replaceable - if you manage to earn raises through the years, you'll likely find yourself eventually pushed out so they can hire someone new at a lower rate.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Not valued

Fun workplace

Can be a fun and rewarding atmosphere. Some times the job is busy and at other times it is fast pace. I enjoy when the job is more fast pace because theres more to do

Pros

commission

Cons

short breaks

Poor handling of covid-19, lack of empathy.

I enjoyed working for massage envy in my short time with the company, it had it’s serious ups and downs just like any other company would. Once you become a regular employee and stay on staff for a while you make good friends, not with management because you’re not allowed to talk,text, have any social media with assistants and clinic managers. But you can make lasting friends with other fda’s regardless of the class ranking.My biggest issue all together is that during covid management did not tell anyone when they had been exposed to another colleague who had covid. That alone was a huge slap in the face, because they did not care about my health and safety. I had to find out on my own that the person I was directly exposed to for days and hours is the one who directly gave me covid. Management did not want any of the fda’s directly talking about who had/has covid between us since we were all basically exposed. It was just a really sickening reality that the company did not care about the literal lives of their employees.There is no real room for growth with this company, if you do move up it’s because you’ve taken someone else’s position that was promised to them. You have to stay with the company for years to get anywhere, but you’ll be getting more responsibility every month don’t worry. (All for the same $9-10.50 depending on when you start)Memberships are becoming harder and harder to sell in 2021 specifically due to lack of appointments due to labor shortages in therapists. However you will be reminded each month that you need to be selling at least 10 memberships -

Pros

1 free 60 min massage a month, employee discount 40%, vacation you can use after a year.

Cons

No healthcare, no benefits (and no the massage should not count as health insurance), no opportunities for growth.

Bad pay

Its not a place to build a career. They only care about the sale of a membership and nothing about the person or the client them selves. But maybe I was just not a fit for sales. You have to 100% be a sales person to work here and not care about the other person on the other side to make your sale

Stressfull

One of the most stressful jobs I have ever had. The clients are the worst to deal with and the little money you make vs the time you have to put in just isn’t worth it.

Fun workplace, pretty easy work discount massages!

Great place to work for a few years or if you are looking for some where to grow. The locations are all franchised so things are ran differently but in general very similar.

Pros

Discounts, paid time off, compensation

Cons

Sometimes customers are mean

Good short term position

When applying for front desk associate, they really push for sales regarding selling memberships and their products they have in the lobby such as murad. Although you get a commission off each membership you sign up, its mandatory to have a certain amount a month otherwise they will have you meet with a sales management manager for retraining. You must be good in sales to keep this position.

Pros

Free massages

Cons

short lunches, not a lot of shifts available

Bad management

I worked at the Massage Envy in Brier Creek and it was a bad place to work.The management was unprofessional and they wanted employees to push the massages packages that nobody is interested in. Also the entire time I worked there my paycheck was never accurate. The owners of this place just don't know how to run a business. I am actually surprised the Brier Creek location has not gone out of business.

Pros

Cons

Bad management, unorganized

Productive and enjoyable

The job is worthwhile, but it was really hard to stand in one place for 8 hour shifts. The staff was close and comfortable, but very gossipy. It's a flexible job.

Pros

free massages, friendly coworkers

Cons

clique environment, gossip, rude clients

Unprofessional Management

Very clique like work environment, the massage therapist constantly gossip about clients and ask favors from from desk staff. Management is really unprofessional and they can't seem to keep receptionist or mangers for very long. Receptionist are not allow to sit during 8 hour shifts, lunch breaks are rarely permitted because you are at the front alone. Franchise owners and managers constantly review cameras and listen to audio. No phone are permitted and you will be written up for sitting or using a phone even in the situations of person emergencies. Receptionist are also fired if they don't maintain 30% closing rate for memberships which they will probably not tell you about till after you are hired. Receptionist are treated like maids, expected to clean massage therapist rooms, do laundry, clean offices, lobby, break rooms and bathrooms daily. The massage therapist also refuse to follow covid restrictions and reuse blankets for multiple clients- it's pretty gross. While i was there 10 employees quit because of a specific manager, i tried to have a conversation with higher up management but nothing was changed, instead they just moved me locations another 15 minutes to commute.

Pros

You get one free hour service a month but can't be on weekends

Cons

Poor management, poor pay, uninviting work environment, they will fire you for not selling memberships, mandatory meetings every sunday

Coworkers

Learned a lot, from a lot of great people. My location offered a massage or facial every month. Really helped with my wellness journey and made it so much easier to describe to the clients, the therapist styles & pressures.

Great experience

I worked as a stretch provider for a very short period. I enjoyed this job very much. The manager was OUTSTANDING. Most of the staff was welcoming. The clientele was respectful, friendly and generous tippers. The only issue was your schedule can change at a moments notice and I didn’t live close by so this became an issue. Also, there were times when I was literally waiting for a call to know whether I needed to come in in the next hour or not. If I lived within 15 min of this location, I would still be there.

Pros

Management, clientele

Cons

Last minute schedule changes

Rude and no communication

Management was very unprofessional and absolutely no communication. Also had us taking care of things The massage therapists were supposed to take care of themselves. Lazy company and poor management

Pros

Free massages

Cons

Rude managers and lack of communication

Very happy with management and work environment

I have worked here for a little over 6 months and I completely love it! Everyone here is extremely friendly at work and outside of work. Management is very good and couldn't be more happy with my job! 10/10 would recommend!

Pros

Friendly workers, great management, and good discounts

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Massage Envy. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.4K
1.4K
1.5K
1.2K

Women's ratings

2.0Fairygodboss Score

60%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

40%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss