Massage Envy Employee Reviews

Cut throat and poorly managed
Senior Wellness Consultant (Former Employee) –  Rowlett, TXNovember 17, 2017
Culture was poor as well as under qualified managers. Franchisees tend to play favorites and make false promises to employees. All locations aren't run as poorly as others.
Enjoyable Part of Job
Lead Licensed Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 17, 2017
I'm able to stay as busy as I want. Not all therapist would agree, but they are either not putting enough effort into their jobs or not doing as they are expect for excellent customer service.
Pros
Work the schedule you want.
Cons
Lowest paying in town.
Environment
Licensed Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Vernon Hills, ILNovember 17, 2017
Massage Envy is competitive due to the client base and their preference, fast paced around holidays evenings and weekends, and the staff are family oriented which is perfect for the new therapist on board.
Fast Paced
Licensed Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 17, 2017
I've enjoyed my time at Massage Envy. My biggest problem would be with no advancement, benefits or paid time off. If these were offered I would have no problems at all.
Pros
Make your own schedule, good about family obligations
Cons
No benefits, no advancement, no paid time off
internship
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CANovember 16, 2017
It was an internship, got to learn how it was to setup tables and rooms and have steady clientele. Was a good spot to practice my modalities from school
Not organized awful communication
Esthetician (Former Employee) –  South Park Twp, PANovember 16, 2017
Good when clients are available . I enjoy people this company has a huge turnover of clients and emoyees this store I worked in was sold to a new owner and she went to a different one, half of the people stayed and were guaranteed hours.
Pros
Love to work
Cons
Not enough business
first massage job
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Silverdale, WA 98383November 16, 2017
the managers are children. they play favorites and are constantly gossiping. certain people could get away with certain behaviors that others could not.

there was very little turnover time between clients. i couldn't shake off the last client before they were shoving the next client onto me.

I was able to gain some confidence to work at a real spa.
Pros
good discounts on products and services
Cons
small pay
not a good place to work
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 15, 2017
I really feel that massage envy could be a very nice place to work, but it needs a lot of internal cleaning from the top to the bottom, but I know that's going to take some time.
Pros
very nice therapist to work with
Cons
management no good
Loved it
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Murphy, TXNovember 15, 2017
Everything about this place is great i would definetely recolmmend this to anyone looking for a good paying job but also is really good with sales with memberships
Pros
Slow paced
Cons
Sales of memberships
Advertised as Front Desk Medical Associate. Really a sales position.
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Pikesville, MDNovember 15, 2017
Your employment status is almost entirely dependent on how many memberships you sell. Regardless of whether or not you did well in other areas.

Typical day at work consists of cleaning, filing, checking customers in and out and resolving A LOT of customer complaints. You're entire employment will be put in jeopardy if a single customer names you specifically in a complaint, even if you've had a near spotless streak.

You're employment can also be put on the line if too many co workers gossip about you. Very bad as this can easily be used against you. And stuff circulates very quickly since the staff is so small. It taught me to learn who I can and can't trust.

General Manager plays favorites. Is very good at their job, and is flexible with helping fit your hours, but has a tendency to be kind of cold and gossips a little too much. Will be a kill joy if they are not in a good mood. Is in complete control of clinic and has full discretion as to who can and cannot keep their job.

I was not paid what I was promised during my interview, and was fired through text message. And to not over extend myself for people that do not value me for my consistent hard and thorough work.

This job taught me thick skin. To respect myself. And to not stress whenever something goes wrong because everyone at this job pointed fingers and shifted blame out of stress of losing their jobs constantly.

Would not recommend, especially if you have problems with anxiety/stressed.
Pros
50% off member discounts
Cons
Gossip, toxic environment, bad manager
Good place to get some experience
Licensed Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZNovember 15, 2017
Management is amazing at the Queen Creek & Chandler clinics
Do not expect benefits or PTO
It's "easy": no marketing or overhead for the LMT

If you are a new LMT looking to get some experience under your belt, Massage Envy is a good choice. Do not, however, expect any PTO: you can earn it, but the requirements are usually unattainable. Their health benefits are seriously lacking. The owners of this company need to really take another look at how happy - or unhappy - their Massage Therapists are. They do not have the LMT's or the Client's best interests in mind, they seem to be solely focused more on the monetary aspect of Massage Therapy. It's extremely unfortunate, because this company has the power and potential to be extremely beneficial for employees and clients alike, but they're letting their potential get lost in their greed.
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
no PTO, low wages, little room for growth
Do not work here!!!
License Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNNovember 14, 2017
This place is terrible place to work at!! When I first started at Massage Envy I was welcomed with opened arms but the moment I sawed that I didn't BLEED Massage Envy, I was treated as if I were trash on the side of the road.....
Pros
There was none
Cons
Poorly managed corporation across all franchises
Assistant/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Centennial, CONovember 14, 2017
Every single Massage Envy I have worked for seems to have issues with management and turn over. They choose their employees poorly and it creates a high turn over rate which in turn leads to being understaffed and also high stress for those that do intend to stay. There is way too many politics that are involved with hiring decisions and pay rates. Therapists are not paid for the time that they are there and are expected to arrive early and stay for extra time (due to lack of front desk staff). A typical day was stressful and the clients themselves seemed to have constant gripes about anything and everything. It was the opposite of relaxing.
Pros
Comfortable environment, discounts on products, Pto
Cons
High turnover, poor management, politics
Fast paced
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Rolling Hills Estates, CANovember 14, 2017
Checked customers in for their massages, and checked them out once they were finished. Made calls reminding customers of their appointments the next day
Pros
Friendly employees
Cons
Some un happy employees
just don't work here
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CANovember 14, 2017
the compensation is awful. They try to schedule you so you spend all day there but still only make minimum wage. they really don't care at all to give raises and when they do it's not much. pretty disrespectful of your time and education.
Pros
chill work environment
Cons
don't expect to make money
Massage envy
MANAGER ON DUTY (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDNovember 14, 2017
Very good environment. Staff got along management was great very understanding. Commission was a plus made me want to work harder for sales . wish there was more compensation offered
Low pay
LICENSED MASSAGE THERAPIST (Current Employee) –  Savoy, ILNovember 14, 2017
Expect to work as many hours as possible if you actually want to make a living while working as a massage therapist. The base pay is not even half of what most employers offer.
Amply time to perfect skill set, learn and grow as therapist
Licensed Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Surfside Beach, SCNovember 13, 2017
I enjoy working at Massage Envy for the opportunity it gives me to expand my skill set and to learn, as well as teach others our techniques.

The Therapists are great and the front desk are all very helpful and friendly.

They allow you full control of your schedule but filling your scheduled days with regular hours can be hard sometimes due to their policy of booking Male therapists first,(although in the time I have worked there, I have established a good amount of clients who request me or my schedule was/is filling nicely).

The ratio for the hours I worked was generally 3 or 4 males to 1 or 2 women.

Management is friendly, helpful, and accommodating.

The workplace, like many others, can be a bit competitive, but this doesn't have to be a bad thing. It gives a person the incentive to do better in a friendly environment.

The hardest part of the job is coordination between the therapists between services and making sure you know the color codes to ensure the client is receiving any updates in the form of enhancements.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the time you spend with the client and knowing you make a difference in how they feel.

the only draw-back is the hourly wage is below what therapists are worth, and there is no automatic service fee so tips can range from very poor to very good with many falling in the poor category.
Pros
opportunity to learn
Cons
poor hourly wage, no set service fee, poor tippers
Dead end misery
Assistant Clinic Administrator (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 13, 2017
Would not recommend working here under any circumstances. if you excel in sales they view you as a threat that should spread the wealth. Shady things go on behind closed doors. Compensation is comical.
Not your average Spa
MANGING PARTNER (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 13, 2017
Fast paced Spa environment. Many moving pieces and guests. Enjoyed the fact that one day is always different from the next . Good people, great locations and staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Massage Envy. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6