Massage Envy Employee Reviews

Could work for some, just not me.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMay 22, 2018
Seems like a nice place however the hiring management is not at all up to par. Training is very minimal as well. They sort of throw you to the wolves.
Pros
Calm environment
Cons
Poor management and training
No potential for growth
Esthetician and Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Westborough, MAMay 21, 2018
The pay is too low, the communication is poor and the sessions are rushed because there is no time in between clients. It is physically exhausting. The turnover is high and the overall morale is low.
Fun invitinng learning workplace
Wellness Consultant (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVMay 20, 2018
A typical back I would open the store and get things ready for the massage therapist. I made calls to remind people of there appointments, also calls for members whos memberships were in suspension. Open the registers, take deposits to the bank, pay roll. I would work with employee training them to sales massage memberships. Answer customer service complaints.
Massage Envy
Front Desk Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAMay 20, 2018
Very competitive working there, have to be a good sales person and a people's person. There is a lot of downtime between massage appointments. Relaxing during downtime, stressful when giving your sales pitch
Rehab at it's Finest
Business Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Schertz, TXMay 18, 2018
Massage Envy, makes therapeutic massage feasible for everyone. There membership allows frequent use to be financially possible and seldom use to still be available. The therapists are screened professionals, invested in helping their clients reach their mobility goals.
Pros
Working with great people (employees and clients)
Cons
The assumption that a clinic is a parlour
Good intro Job but leave as soon as you find anything better.
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDMay 18, 2018
Our clinic ran no downtime between massages. You are the production worker of massages.
Massage envy (ME) keeps track of who gets rebookings, requested therapists, and membership sales. They base a percentage of the success of the clinic off of that.
Let me emphasize this, you dont get paid if you dont have a client... But you are expected to STAY.
Every clinic is different and has franchise owners. But beware of franchises that have owners that have never practiced massage. You will most likely be heavily underpaid in those clinics.
Good place to get hands on time and to build stamina but you will hurt the longevity of your career by being underpaid and overworked.
Pros
Hour breaks. Massage trades. Builds experience
Cons
Underpaid. No downtime between massages. No strict smoking policy.
Productive and very competitive at times
FRONT DESK RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Redding, CAMay 17, 2018
Definitely more on the competitive side as it is part commission besides your normal salary. It can either be really fun or really stressful depending on who you work with that particular day.
Not a Career
Lead Therapist (Current Employee) –  Lutz, FLMay 17, 2018
Massage Envy frequently advertises jobs as a "Career" in industry magazines. Most locations in FL do NOT offer paid time off, sick leave, or health insurance. When my location finally started offering health benefits last year, the quote I received for my family of 4 was $800 a month for expensive coverage that still had high copays and a very high deductible. Completely unreasonable for an average worker there and I am not average- I am a high performer with an established clientele, but I still could never afford that.

I feel completely expendable as a therapist. I've been a "Lead Therapist" for about 5 years and that does NOT provide any potential for advancement. I do NOT get paid any additional wages for the time I spend managing anyone.

The pay structure at our location has not changed in the 10 years it has been opened, despite several rate increases to the customers. I've been maxed out for 5 years at $20 an hour only when I have been requested by name, otherwise I make $15 per hour despite my 15 years of experience and advanced training in the field. Each location is independently owned and operated, so the pay scale at each franchise is variable. It's also not transparent, so relocating to another site is going to potentially start you over at a lower pay rate.
Pros
Busy, they provide and wash linens and provide lotions/creams
Cons
Little or no benefits, inconsistent management, Low Pay
Don't waste your time
Esthetician (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 17, 2018
The only good thing about this company is the training that you intially get in the beginning. Once that's over, you are working non stop to build a clientele but you are not compensated for your efforts. I have only made minimum wage here. My tips have been a huge help because my pay is horrible. I sold the most product for 1 month straight and was barely rewarded. My tips were taxed and management is unstable. I will not miss this place.
Pros
Cons
Everything about the organization is a con
Too much stress for a relaxing environment
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAMay 17, 2018
I had no problems with my clients, they loved me. The problem was that although I was a Massage Therapist, I was expected to handle the sales portion of turning guests into members then send them to the front desk to close. Seeing and hearing the therapist in the employee lounge stressing and focusing on the monitor hoping that their last guest visit turned into a member because their jobs depended on it really made the work environment too stressful.
Pros
great clients
Cons
therapist must be sales reps
High stress, great Clients
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 17, 2018
It was definitely a high stress environment however the clients were wonderful to work with the staff is fun to interact with but it can be very stressful
Pros
good clientele
Cons
high stress environment
Not the best place to work, decent pay and good for new therapists.
Massage Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Olympia, WA 98502May 16, 2018
Management and staff are all super friendly and nice, but the business itself is a dead end. Therapists do not get paid nearly enough for the work they do, plus 0 benefits other then help with CE's and license renewal.
Most people working here are barely getting by, and the ones who are doing good are working way to much for any massage therapist, especially with no benefits.
The Massage Envy corporation needs to take a long hard look at itself and what it actually cares about, because no one I've met who has worked here has ended up being happy or even financially comfortable.
Pros
Benefits with CE's, and license renewal, great caring staff
Cons
Pay, structure, no health benefits, no hourly pay
Surrounded by folks who care about wellbeing
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMay 16, 2018
Front desk staff help maintain the workflow and client flow for the massage therapists, tracking product sales (which are not required for holding your position, but they DO reflect on your bonus!), and selling new memberships to guests who don't already have one established.

Each month you get a free massage as part of the front desk staff, with the caveat that you see a different therapist each time. Self-care AND being able to make recommendations at the same time! Nice.

There are no scheduled mealbreaks, since most of the work between the top of the hour and half-hour marks is checking people in and out, you tend to get your food when you have downtime. The work is very laid back, with no set-in-stone scheduled tasks, so long as they actually get done. Laundry is split between an off-site company handling the sheets for the massage tables and the front desk staff handling the face-cradles in an on-site laundry machine.
Pros
Free monthly massage and discounts on others!
Cons
Easy to get distracted in downtime and leave daily duties unfinished
Good job if you don't mind just sitting all day and just simply talking to people.
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Wellington, FLMay 16, 2018
I was a front desk receptionist and set up appointments, tried to sell memberships and did a bit of cleaning here and there. The job was not bad but the environment was not right for me because I like to be busy all the time. The management was okay. Overall not a bad job but need for everyone.
Pros
Not to hectic
Cons
Boring
Stressfull, Payscale is very low
Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAMay 15, 2018
Each location is run differently. The Long Beach location is poor, No Benefits, no vacation, pay scale is low
The Temecula location is great. Benefits, Sick days, opportunity to increase pay.
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNMay 15, 2018
Loved working there. Great people and a quick paced invirnment keeps you very busy.great for first time therapists looking to get started. Runs very smooth and efficient.
Pros
Very busy
Cons
Hard to call in sick
a lot of work for little pay
Front Desk Associate/Sales (Former Employee) –  South Miami, FLMay 14, 2018
Job requires employee to double as a receptionist and a sales associate. There is a sales quota and employee receives commission for selling a membership, gift card or product.
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Vero Beach, FLMay 14, 2018
Owner is very nice and a great boss to work for. You have to sell X number of memberships or you don't get commission. I feel like the clients already know the deal and will sign up only if they get regular massages.
Cons
Have to sell memberships
Crashing Company
MEMBERSHIP CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCMay 13, 2018
I've worked for 4 different massage envy locations. NY-SC. Employees are undervalued and trained to be robots. I've worked for many different spas in general, massage envy will never be a choice for me going forward.
productive
Massage Therapist, Esthetician (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLMay 12, 2018
lots of clients, little down time, full benefits such as a full PPO dental vision Aflac paid time off flexible schedule, holidays off when you ask. petty front desk ppl
Pros
full benefits
Cons
petty coworkers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Massage Envy. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

49out of 100

The Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Massage Envy.