Massage Heights

Clear
2.6Pay & Benefits

heighttherapistretreatmembershipclientlaundryspafacial

Great co workers

You get paid min wage plus $20 for each service hour. Company is great unfortunately not the pay. They offered paid training and free skin care samples.

Boerne location is the game changer

I was very skeptical about going to this location but I decided to give it a try. The owners and the director make this place an amazing location to work at. Everyone is so friendly, clients are great, the pay and benefits are fair and work for my family. I can see myself here long term.

Pros

free massages, clients, flexible, culture

Cons

drive

Massage Heights insights

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Calm fun place to work

my team was always kind and appreciative of me. It was my first time working as front desk and I recieved great training by management. The customers were always kind just wanting to relax not really looking to argue except maybe 1 or 2 people like in any job. I also recieved about 3 or 4 pay raises. Definitely make sure to like the managers for a better working experience!

Too much favoritism

There was too much favoritism for the front desk. I worked there almost every day. When I pulled doubles I always got left by myself. The training I had was really only a week. During that time, I was left alone a lot to figure things out. The director would be on site, but she didn’t help with anything. She would listen in on phone calls, not take them, then tell me how I was doing everything wrong, but didn’t really explain how to do things. The front desk had their own little click and they would gossip so often, I would always be left to do the cleaning, laundry etc. Whenever I worked a double I would be left at the front by myself even with another front desk coworker on site or the director on site. I worked double the hours and never got paid over time. I hardly ever received fair pay for my sales and yet I had the highest numbers out of my team. It was all about sales and yet they wanted to emphasize that it was a “team” or that we had to set each other up for success, but it was the complete opposite. The director only hired her friends or family members and it made it really difficult for me to try and fit in without being criticized daily for my work even though I worked twice as hard as any of the other receptionists. They say you get benefits, but you don’t. You’re supposed to get commission, but that is kind of up in the air. Just don’t work at the Stone Oak location if you do happened to get hired there, though I doubt it since the director only hires friends/family.

Pros

The Therapists

Good starting job

I love the owner. Made great friends for life. Clients don’t tip well and the salary is $22 worked hourYou do have to do laundry. Hardest part is to have clients back to back but you made your schedule and availability

It's a good beginning

first job from here. nice beginning. friendly and clean. easy going. arrangement is good. Flexible schedule due to your requirements. Only not very attractive for income

Terrible work culture

Underpaid and overworked. We make less than 30% of the session cost, even after they raised prices on clients. The only way to make a decent living is to work 7+ hours a day, 5+ days a week. Management installed cameras and microphones in our break room and constantly monitor our conversations. They dismiss concerns of workplace issues and hazards. They've implemented strict guidelines for massage procedure that had to be followed without question and threaten to fire therapists for mundane infractions. There's no flexibility in schedule; if you can't work what they want you to, they just take you off completely. They make you put the company on the insurance you privately choose and pay for. They refuse to give extra break time for the older therapists, just one 30 minute lunch break everyday. Their culture encourages burnout. Extremely high turnover rate for therapists and support staff. Overall very poor experience so far.

Don’t Do it, Reconsider

If you’re a new therapist, come in get your experience and leave. If you don’t want to take advanced massage continued education and are comfortable with basic CEUs this is the place for you. No health care benefits. If clients book and no show you are not compensated. If the clients lie and don’t come in you are not compensated. The booking just disappears. So that directly effects the bottom line of the therapist. Pay is subpar. Depending on where you work, they can’t keep you booked. So you’re just there not being paid. As a therapist I hate it here.

To be desired and needs lots of change to compete in the industry

While I worked for Massage Heights, we gained and lost so many therapists throughout the years. It's a franchise and to be expected. I would recommend working here for 1 or 2 years to gain some experience and get used to being around people then dipping. I worked there for a long time out of comfort and being left alone for the most part.The pay is some of the lowest in the industry. $20 to $25 per massage hour while many places are starting therapists at $30. Benefits are non-existent. You might get 1 to 2 weeks off and health care is 100% paid by you. They "allow" a company to come in and provide you insurance but they donate nothing towards it. Management at this franchise was to be desired. They don't give managers the proper tools to succeed but it doesn't matter because they pay them low as well. The location had new owners that didn't know how to run a business and were unpleasant. They acted like they cared but more or less they were corporate froth themselves behind the scenes. Lots of these franchise owners don't know anything about the massage industry. They just see income potential. As to be expected they desire you to work nights and weekends as it generates the most income for them. If you are talented you can generate clients anywhere and anytime. Trust me.Job security is great as long as you don't critique management or the owners. But who wants to walk on eggshells? Advancement is nonexistent as you have to fight tooth and nail to get continuing education paid for by them. All these places already want you to know how to be a 20 year + therapist but -

Pros

Free Monthly Massage

Don't

Zero support, no benefits. You're on your own. They don't care about you at all. Don't respect boundaries, work you to the bone. Bad tips. Band management. Ugly atmosphere.

Good culture & fair management

Good place that I've worked at while in San Antonio over a period of 18 months. Other's were fair to poor. Management is fair. Approachable. Supportive. Have very good inventory of supplies. They stay on top of the aesthetics of the retreat, and have repairs done on a timely basis. Pretty consistent clientele, but, did have bouts of hanging around without pay. CEU's Paid. Quite a bit of perks. Inspire education center w free classes. I would definitely recommend.

Pros

Generally good vibe. Supportive management. Fun atmosphere. Good clients.

Cons

Pay! All no shows should be charged so we can get paid or have company pay out on these.

Good Luck.

If you want to work here, good luck. In the short time I was here I witnessed depressed employees, management who is controlling and unprofessional, and overall just an unhealthy work environment. While everyone seems to be anxious and upset front desk seems to have it the worst. No lunch breaks, told what to eat, belittled, controlled, and manipulated. I wouldn’t suggest working here to really anyone until there is a huge structure reform.

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

No lunch breaks, no flexibility in scheduling

Great workplace, compensation is great, great culture. They work well with your schedule, and will provide raises when asked. I learned so much while working.

Management would micromanage and criticize,

Job itself wasn't too bad if you stuck to yourself. It is very competitive when it comes to making sales for memberships, gift cards, product, and adding extra services to the guest appointment to make commission which was a dollar or two higher than your pay. The manager would look at the cameras your entire shift and call if he found an issue with what you were doing. No chairs were allowed so you'll have to be on your ft all day, no breaks for lunch.

Pros

free massages or facials

Cons

no breaks, competitive for pay, micromanagement

As a Massage Therapist I know what to expect from the company and from the clients

They provide the clients and the equipment, what more could you ask for. The payment and benefits are discussed upfront I see no complaints. You have to work hard to build your clientele.

Pros

Opportunity to build your clientele

Cons

Work can sometimes be redundant

Co workers were nice, but job and pay were unpredictable

The coworkers are great, but the pay is horrible. The location is good but again, horrible and unpredictable pay. High turnover rate because people realize their worth is way more.

Great management

Managers and owner are amazing, but the pay is mediocre and the customer base can be hard to work with. Coworkers are by far the best part of the job.

Pros

great management

Cons

boring work

Okay, bad pay

Flexible hours. Easy over all ish. LOW LOW LOW pay doing laundry for freeover all its an okay place to start considering its massage heights. It was okay till my paychecks came in and the pay is far too low for most live off of. They say you can do this this or that to add 1 or 2 dollars but over all it was an okay job till i moved on.

Pros

Management can be friendly.

Cons

not enough pay, laundry, front desk was not wanting to do work

Great people

I loved working here, although it was stressful at times. They post your numbers in the break room for everyone to see and that’s not really cool. They have a Tier system and if you don’t achieve 85% requests you don’t get Tiered up. When a therapist gets tiered up, the client has to pay an extra amount to still see that therapist. A lot of times the clients didn’t want to pay that plus a tip, and they would see lower Tier therapists. Something that was disheartening, was when I overheard a front desk clerk telling a client about the tier process and they told them the higher tiered therapists have more experience and education and that is not the truth. If you work a lot of hours, you have a lot of availability and your request rate is never going to be high enough. I guess that’s the only thing I disliked. The people were great, the rooms are beautiful, and the benefits are some of the best in the industry. My only suggestion would be to start out with a tighter schedule so you can achieve the required request rate to tier up and make more money.

Pros

Good benefits, great people, flexible schedules

Cons

Tier system for compensation

Mh

It’s a good job if you have a good management if you don’t you will constantly feel like you are walking on eggshells. It is very much “massage heights” brand to have inconsistently on all levels.

Pros

Free 1hr massage if full time

Cons

Over worked, Underappreciated, no healthcare, under paid

Great Spa to start off at

My schedule has always been full. The staff here is really great to work with. Like a family environment. Guests are loyal. They encourage learning new modalities. The free services are always a nice perk. I can’t really think of any cons.

Pros

Schedule is flexible and pay is great for a new therapist

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Massage Heights. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.9Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
2.9Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Massage Heights with

Massage Heights reviews by popular job title

• Massage Heights