Massage Retreat & Spa Employee Reviews

Great Enviornment
Service Desk (Current Employee) –  Eden PrairieMarch 12, 2018
I enjoy the people I work with each day and our customers in Eden Prairie are great. I have learned a lot and continue to learn each day not only about my job and Massage Retreat & Spa, but also the benefits of massage and facials. I feel we have a great team vibe and our Massage and Skin team are some of the best.
Pros
Service Discounts, Colleagues
Never work there
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaMarch 10, 2018
Worst job ever! Management is horrible from all locations. All employees and managers do is gossip about one another! Very unorganized and can never keep a manager no more then 4-8 months! The owner is super disrespectful and belittles all his associates!
Pros
Discounts
Fun and fast past
Manager (Current Employee) –  Woodbury, MNMarch 2, 2018
Massage Retreat and Spa works hard to make you feel valued. They are also very flexible with schedules and have great employee perks for full a part time employees. The communication and community is great from corporate all the way down to spa level.
Pros
Flexible Schedule, Complementary Membership, great employee discount, free insurance.
Cons
N/a
Super supportive - not your typical corporate :-)
General Manager (GM) (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNFebruary 28, 2018
MRS believes in support and telling us what we're doing right (rather than constant berating at most corporations) and how to replicate that! I know that there's no such thing as a question unanswered when I have such a huge line of support! Between having another 6 spas to consult with and the tightest, most personal, relationship with the corporate support team, I feel like I'm finally being built up and have the tools and options to succeed!
Pros
Supportive, Wellness reimbursement, positive culture, employee discounts
Cons
Pay could be better (but also could be worse)
Great place to work and grow as a MT
Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNFebruary 28, 2018
The Eden Prairie location has had some turnover but it is stable and very supportive now. They do what they can to make the lives of the Massage therapists easy and they keep the schedules full. The coworkers are great and are supportive of one another.
I have been here for more than 2 1/2 years and plan on sticking around as the clientele is great and they keep you busy. The management wants to keep you busy and they do a good job at that very well.
Pros
work environment, discounts on product and services
Cons
short breaks
Pretty awesome job.
Service Desk Advisor (Current Employee) –  Woodbury, MNJanuary 26, 2018
This was my first reception job. I have been with the company about 7 months now and have already received a raise and offered a promotion. Yes, we do push sales a lot, but we get paid extra for it! There was a high turnover rate when i first started, but now we have a solid team! The co-manager is really amazing, really helps boost confidence and makes fun little games with prizes to help us reach number goals. The GM gets stuff done! She is strict, but only when people are lazy, don't do what they are supposed to, and with making sure the spa is running top notch. I LOVE MY JOB! The only downsides are when therapists leave, or call in sick A LOT, and i take/make phone calls with upset clients. The therapists have a lot of drama, but it is easily squashed. And having to work so late and then still have to drive home. Its an overall good environment. This is NOT a hard job at all. Very relaxing (especially with a free membership). I feel valued as an individual here, the owner knows me by first name right when he walks in the door, he will end his phone calls with "i appreciate you". IT's a happy feeling coming to work.
Pros
Free membership and discounts of services and product, positive environment, and really good pay.
Cons
Taking the brunt of client complaints, some therapists who don't respect the front desk team
Do not work here
Service Desk (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNJune 7, 2017
Working as a service desk here for over a year was OK for me. For others it was usually way worse or worse. If you don't get along with management you won't get anywhere. Turn over rate for front desk and MT and ST was insanely high. There is lots of gossip and hardships for everyone working. They will send you home early so they don't go over hours. Very unprofessional both managers and above.
Pros
Discounts on massages
Cons
Terrible Work Environment
No Appreciation for employees
Esthetician/Skin Care Therapist (Former Employee) –  Savage, MNMay 26, 2017
Work Schedule
8-2pm or 3-10pm

One of the only great things about working at company was free education at International Dermal Institute

Management turnover is a constant problem

Hardest part of job was that you are required to be available when you are scheduled even if you have 0 clients that day. Slow as far as skin care goes ... a lot if time where you make NO $$ but must be there in case a client schedules.
Pros
Dermalogica-Free advanced training at IDI
Cons
Never ending turn over in employees/Management is always changing
Unstable, unreliable, inconsistent
Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNFebruary 27, 2017
This is absolutely the worst experience I have had with an employer. I left a great job for what appeared to be an opportunity of a lifetime. The structure keeps changing, the culture is gossipy and there is no consistency in the pay structure.
Pros
Free session
Cons
no break, forgotten pay, revolving door employees and structure
Good Starter Job
Skin Therapist (Current Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNSeptember 15, 2016
The location and franchise are pleasantly decent. Commission is pretty easy to make, and hourly wage is great. However, as with most of the service industry, you only get paid that great hourly wage when you have clients booked. There's smaller ways to make up for making no money hourly, like selling products for commission and taking the time to do some personal advertising, but financial gain from such is limited. The atmosphere is professional and relaxed. And Dermalogica is a fantastic skin care line! Overall a fair place to start a massage therapist or esthetician career.
Pros
hourly wage, team-building environment, room to grow in career
Cons
hourly wage dependent upon booked appointments
Good job for new therapists
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Shoreview, MNAugust 12, 2016
Good company to work for coming out of school. They also gave me every opportunity to advance within the company, to which I will always be thankful. Their management within the spa was a constant mess however and I had several incidents where I did not get paid properly that was a nightmare to fix. Also had to fight for months to get PTO I had earned. For the most part I had a good experience with MRS and any new Massage Therapist could find success.
Pros
Opportunity for advancement.
Cons
Management, constant paycheck issues.
Crooked company
Esthetician (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 15, 2016
I worked here for 3 months. Within the three months I found out that corporate was running a scheme where to make their "numbers" they would charge their customers hoping that they wouldn't notice the overcharge. You also only get paid when you are working. Otherwise you sit making nothing. They also only pay 20% commission. They need to be put out of business.
A place for the motivated to excel!
Massage Management (Current Employee) –  New Hope, MNMay 16, 2016
I have been with the company for an extended period of time. I have seen growth from 1 spa to 7! If you are willing to work hard, be invested and be a team player then MRS is the place for you. Whether you are just starting out as a therapist or you are a veteran, there is a place for you here. We currently have the STRONGEST team of GMs I have seen in this company. Now is the time if you are thinking about making a job change. There is opportunity to advance in the company if you choose. Opportunities for therapist to lead and mentor. Opportunities for front desk to build responsibilities and leadership.
Pros
Advancement opportunities, competitive pay, professional therapists
Fun, energetic, enjoyable work place.
Esthetician (Current Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNApril 8, 2016
I think Massage Retreat and Spa is a great place to go to work with talented people, you learn something new everyday, the team there is phenomenal. However like most places all jobs have their up and downs. MRS is doing everything they can to make things more organized, and easier for us therapists. When I first started I felt so welcomed, everyone was so willing to help, they jumped at the opportunity, I fit right in immediately, nothing is worse than starting a new job and taking a few days or weeks to click with your peers, not able to get along right away. I didn't feel that way at all. I not only feel appreciated working there, but I also appreciate management for doing whatever they can do to accommodate us. One thing I can always count on is getting a paycheck, and that's what it all comes down too, is this place going to make me money? Yes. Yes, you will make money. Being fresh out of school though it's going to be tough, but all the therapists have tips and tricks to help you build your business. My favorite about Massage Retreat and Spa is they WANT to see you succeed. They aren't greedy like most place who only care about numbers. They care about the therapists.
Pros
wellness plan, opportunities to earn more money, great product line
Cons
communication
Don't get screwed over
Esthetician (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNJuly 7, 2015
In a typical day you had management who would act very unprofessional or even cuss at you at times. Youre expected to upsell yet not given a reasonable time period to get it done in. Also we were being cheated out of what was supposed to be our hourly wages. And were scheduled on our breaks which was completely illegal.
Pros
Discounted skincare
Cons
Where do I begin?
Poor managment
Certified Massage Therapist - Ability (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNMay 20, 2015
Massage Retreat & Spa did not care what the therapist requests for what each clients needs. The company had each therapist have what they specialized in but receptionist did not take that into manner, and management did not care. All they truly wanted was the money.
Pros
Each room was very welcoming to the clients
Cons
They did not care about the staff
Could be better or worse
massage therapist (Former Employee) –  Shoreview, MNApril 23, 2015
I worked for the Shoreview location mostly in the evenings and the weekends for a brief 3-4 month period, and I am uncertain that I would recommend the employment to any of my associates. Even though I enjoyed the staff, the location and being able to practice massage without worrying about a paycheck, there were things that I couldn't overlook while working there.

1) This place (MR&S) pays by the massage, like may other places, but this place pays your wage in the form of HOURLY pay ($15-$16/hr. regardless of your professional work history and experience.) They DO take care of providing space, business cards, linens, massage supplies, reporting tips, some professional training, etc. They may even pay for your license if you get into the right location.) The $25-$50.00/hr. you see on job boards for many mill spas like this, includes tip (if the customer tips, and if they don't follow the "recommended tipping guideline" hanging on the wall by the door in every room that recommends less than the 15-20% I've seen at other actual spas. You will also be asked how many massages you can do before you need a break... break usually translates into one hour for lunch. 3 or 4 on one off and the remainder on makes an 8-9 hour shift. I never received a break during the week - I always worked 4 massages regardless. No break was available.

2) MR&S did pay for my insurance and member ship with a professional network upon employment. They also took the money out of my check, which made it easier to take care of the payments, but was kind of hard on the take home pay.

3) You may be
  more... told anything to get you in the door - When I first sat down with the recruiter, I was led to believe that I would be making a certain rate of pay. I shortly found out that I was going to not make that rate, and was told by another therapist at my location, that if anyone found out what rate I did make (even though it was less than what I was advised), it could possibly cause trouble because there were therapists making a dollar less an hour than I was. I didn't apply to care about other people's rate of pay. I expected a certain kind of compensation, was told I was going to be provided that compensation, and then wasn't. I wasn't going to fight about a dollar, especially when if no one showed up to my book, I wasn't going to be paid anyway. This location did not charge for books that did not make their appointments or for late cancelations.

4) Be prepared for no breaks, no lunches, and bad booking practices! The responsibility of originally scheduling your lunch is, well, YOURS, but, I was able to lock in a time slot. I did find that I was asked daily to move the lunch slot (especially on weekends) to fill a book. I found that booking was inconsistent, not done with either the client OR the therapist in mind. There are therapists that can't do deep tissue, and they were constantly booked with people who wanted deep tissue.) There were no buffers. 5 minutes between sessions with no break between is not good for the body, and sometimes, you just need a break OR you need to do paperwork.

5) Management was never available to the staff, and when they were, they were insulting. I don't know if the spa manager is still there, but based on her alone, I would not recommend the employment. She also didn't grasp the concept of scheduling.

6) Expect your "session" to be shorter than 50 minutes, and expect to have no say on the kind of client you will be working on.

7) The Massage Therapists are wonderful! The best group of people I could ever work with. at the time I worked there, only a few had over 5 years experience, but every single one of the therapists were professional, fun, understanding, knowledgeable, and overall a great group of people to work with.

There are other things that I noticed, but those were the ones that are still stuck in my brain after not working there for quite some time.
Pros
great therapists, discounts and free facial or body work
Cons
management, scheduling and booking
Great work environment and employees
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  PlymouthMarch 10, 2015
I started at Massage Retreat & Spa as a part-time Sales Representative; I honestly was not thinking career, I just needed a job for a short time where I could make quick money. I thought while I was working I could look for other jobs. However, since starting I've worked closely with leadership and management to develop professional skills, improved sales and customer service skills and learned more about business. I have been promoted twice since starting at MRS. This "part-time job" has now become my career and shows where you can go if you're passionate about what you do. My advice is to love your job; if you don't it's not worth it.
Pros
Employees/Co-workers, Team environment, Wellness Reimbursement
I did not like this place
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNJanuary 18, 2015
Not much to say here except, I did not enjoy my time working here at all.
Pros
Some of the staff & clints were nice
Cons
Some of the staff & clients were rude.
AMAZING place to work if you are a hard worker and like reaping the rewards!
Spa Manager (Current Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNSeptember 28, 2014
It's not often in companies that you are able to advance yearly, but I work hard and the upper management always have my back and are constantly supporting me to help me learn and grow as a manager. I have direct help in my success from everyone from my direct manager all the way up to the president, and most companies are not that involved in the success of just one employee. They welcome with open arms suggestions for improvement and work to ensure that their employees are HAPPY at work, not just productive.
I had to work hard to get where I am, yet I 110% believe that if you are willing to work hard and have an open mind to instruction from management, this company believes in it's employees and will follow them to the ends of the earth.
Pros
Creative ways to encourage employees (parties, swag, take you out to really nice dinners, fun gifts), Excellent support from upper managment, Great bonus potential, positive work environment
Cons
Sales goals can be daunting, retail hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Massage Retreat & Spa. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.2

2.1Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

1.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight