MassMutual Financial Group Employee Reviews

great company
Digital Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Enfield, CTSeptember 19, 2018
great work life balance, wfh home option, very relaxed environment. Lot of work going on the digital platform development and Data center. It is a nice comoany to work for specially if you are looking to work in Agile environment.
Director, Client Management West Region (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MASeptember 18, 2018
Wonderful people at MassMutual. I enjoyed my time there and honed my skills as a Director of Client Management. There is a real focus on improving the financial lives of its client base.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Reorganizations
Great workplace, with amazing guidance.
Agent (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, NJSeptember 17, 2018
We have great managers that strive to help each person grow based on each persons level. The work environment is very supportive and has an positive atmosphere.
It wasn't what I was hoping it would be/ I lived under my father's shadow and wanted to make my name as a new man
Wealth Manager/Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZSeptember 15, 2018
Looking for new obstacles. I need new challenges and things to keep me focused. I have always wanted to get into an industry where there is always opportunity for advicement/
Difficult Career to start
Financial Services Professional (Former Employee) –  Bala-Cynwyd, PASeptember 13, 2018
It was not the right fit for me at the time. In order to start in this career you either need to have very little fixed expenses and live at home, or have enough money to pay your bills/ work expenses for 4-5 months. Do not expect to get a paycheck for a few months.
Pros
Entrepreneurial
Cons
100% Commission, Long Underwriting Process, Cold Calling
A good place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Cordova, TNSeptember 13, 2018
A typical day has you clocking in and taking calls throughout the day, usually about 10 minutes per call. The hardest part is being careful to not provide customers incorrect information.

I would have stayed there as long as possible, but the branch closed.
Pros
Free food every so often, lots of vacation time, flexible time off.
Cons
Branch closing
A struggle
Financial Professional (Current Employee) –  Sandy Springs, GASeptember 11, 2018
In my opinion, this is not a company for new inexperienced financial professionals because the training, management nor office culture is prepared for this type of individual. There is no mentoring or joint work system already in place. The training and accountability is virtually non existent. Everyone is busy running there own business. You really have to find your own way, and the lack of training of the companies processes and programs make it really difficult. I had to rely on one person, who had never actually done the job. That person was great and did everything available to assist and is the only reason I stayed long past my instincts to leave. 100% commission
Great environment and great people
Operation Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Enfield, CTSeptember 9, 2018
Time at worked started with a quick meeting with manager to review counts from prior day for everyone, talk about what needed to be done and them go an accomplish day metric for the day.
Pros
1hr lunch, flexible hours to come in, start with 3wks vacations, plus sicks days and personal days/time
Good Experience
New Business Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Puerto RicoSeptember 9, 2018
I really enjoyed working with MM. People were very nice and benefits were great. The only thing that they need to improve in MM Puerto Rico is the salary. Salary is to low for all the work you do, at least as a New Business Coordinator. They should start at least at $13.00.

Besides that, everything else was good.
Pros
Benefits and people
Cons
Pay
It was a job
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 7, 2018
Goals changed frequently. Constantly Monitored. Office in my city was eventually closed down. Benefits plan and 401(k) plan was excellent. Offered a pension plan and retirement health insurance plan.
Pros
benefits plan
Cons
shift changes, constantly monitored, your breaks are scheduled for you, inconsistent management
Great brand to design with
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MASeptember 7, 2018
Needs more collaboration among designers, contract designers need to be more a part of the team, contracts should be ongoing, NOT only one year like they are now.
Pros
Good designers on team
Cons
Not a permanent design position
Hard start
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Kingston, PASeptember 5, 2018
It has everything I could ask for except the how to get started part. Building a book of business using your "project 200" feels slimy and unprofessional. They're not very clear on how to prospect for clients despite saying they have the tech and a list of warm leads to follow. Not forthcoming on how to find new business. Its almost like they expect you to already know how to do everything. Training is unpaid and self paced/taught. Online training through videos. No real incentive to complete training, as it takes time away from money making activities. Weak execution of the 12 week year. Crash course on how to use internal systems. No shadowing. A real fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants kind of place.
Pros
Everything else
Cons
VERY slow start, no base pay, and steep learning curve
Good starter job, lack of growth
Life Underwriter, MMUS New Business & Underwriting (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MASeptember 4, 2018
Career advancement lacking, pay did not match market competitors and health benefits are awful. Too many layers of management - too many cooks in the kitchen.
Pros
Vacation time, Pension
Cons
Healthcare, compensation
Good Starter Internship
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJSeptember 3, 2018
Learned lots about different marketing strategies for a smaller insurance firm and helped me get another internship in the financial services industry that better suited my interests.
Challenging but rewarding
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  San Juan, PRSeptember 3, 2018
The level of independence that you have to develop as an individual is great. Managers always try to motivate you to do your best and keep motivated. The downside is that there in no safe salary. Either you sell and have money, or you dont.
Great company
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 29, 2018
There is a lot to like about this company. I am really hesitant and not even sure that I want to leave but my current situation is giving me too much anxiety so for the good of my health, I am reaching out to see what else is available that I might a better fit for.

Really makes me sad/disappointed that I'm not a good fit.
Great workplace
IT Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 29, 2018
Great place to work. I highly recommend it. The people are very friendly and there is a family atmosphere there. Management does a great job in empowering employees
Eat what you kill...
Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 27, 2018
Commissioned sales position where you are incentivized to sell proprietary & non-proprietary products whether or not they were in the best interest of the consumer
Not a great experience (for me)
Recruiting Director (Former Employee) –  Lake Oswego, ORAugust 23, 2018
I was brought on to Mass Mutual as the Director of Recruiting and given no direction. I still hit the ground running and one day after only two months of working there I was told that I was being let go. When I asked why they said "what ever you want to say" I asked again, what do I say to my wife when she asks me? Again, "whatever you want, we'll back you up on it". When I asked if I could qualify for unemployment they said yes as the position was being eliminated (yet someone else was in it within a month or two) and that I could claim unemployment and they wouldn't fight it. When I asked what to tell them why I was laid off or let go, again "whatever you want to say". They had no systems in place to train or ensure people hit the ground running. They also hit me out of the blue with this instead of saying ahead of time, let's have weekly meetings and discuss how you're doing and ways we can help you, etc. I respect the GA and his wife but am disappointed in my short stint there as I am someone who learns quick and they really seemed as if they didn't want me to succeed.
Pros
Had my own office, Nice overall office space
Cons
Not given proper support or training time with the previous Director of Recruiting
Great job if you are good salesperson and work/live in area where people want insurance.
Licensed Life and Health Insurance Broker (Former Employee) –  Red Bank, NJAugust 23, 2018
You not only need to know all about the insurance products that Mass Mutual provides but you also need to be good at Sales AND live / work in an environment where there are wealthy people with enough cash to want the products. Everyone needs their products, but only wealthy people see the value in it or can afford it.

Also there is a lot of pressure to meet quotas.

Good thing was most people were upbeat and go-getters and management was always available to provide Sales training and support.
Pros
Great commissions, friendly people, lots of training available
Cons
You needed to meet sales quotas and be good at selling

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MassMutual Financial Group. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight