MassMutual Financial Group Employee Reviews

Great Company to Work for....
Regional Sales Manager / Principal (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 31, 2018
I worked on the Corporate side of MassMutual which is totally different from a field or agency position, so please keep that in mind. Mass's field jobs such as agent, broker, sales manager, agency manager are very loosely controlled by corporate. Mass's Sales Distribution is run by general agencies and they are like mini companies, so there are good ones, average ones and some that are terrible. As they interview you, you interview them to make sure you like the culture and the people. Management styles and the culture will vary by agency and location. In the corporate office, compensation and benefits were great. Mass has a formal Performance Evaluation Process that is standardized for all employees but they grade on a Bell Curve which means everyone can not be great even if you think your performance is, you are going into that Bell curve no matter what. That said, over all their system of evaluation is basically fair because it is conducted universally with all employees alike under the same rules. Vision and Mission are well spelled out. Teams work well together and I have met and worked with some outstanding people and leaders! Mass has some really, great, great people! This is true especially of Underwriting; very top of the line people with great expertise who are also just good people! My bosses were all female and top of the line. The relationship between the Field and the Corporate office could get very political and much more so than that of other companies. That is the negative. My bosses incorporated a lot of leadership development and recognition  more... into the program of which I have used some of the ideas in my career with my own teams. During the 3 years I was there, the company was going through a re-organization. I performed very well but people were losing their jobs left and right around me. This made things more stressful as we had to do more with less and there was an uptick in politics too! Over all, senior leadership was very strong and the company came through it. My role was on the path to eventually be eliminated and I tried transferring to another role or department but there were none to be had for me or any of my associates. So, when my numbers were the highest, I left the company regrettably but did not wont to be eventually laid off. Today, the role does not exist but the function is centralized in the corporate office. Key to remember, is that all things change. Have as much fun as you can when you can and learn as much as you can. You will be much happier doing that and what you learn can be a stepping stone to something greater in the future! Over all, I think Mass is a great Company with good people, good culture, good products and a good brand! I greatly value my work experience there and would never trade it! I highly recommend Mass Mutual as a Great place to work!  less
Pros
Formal Reviews, Team culture, Good Compensation & Benefits, Strong Leadership & Development, a Strong Brand, a Great Vision & Mission
Cons
Political
Highly political
Business Optimization Consultant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJanuary 15, 2019
This is a company where it is certainly more about who you know than what you know. Favortism is the driver of position selection, performance ratings, raises, and bonuses. Your actual performance is irrelevant.
Pros
Nice building
Worst Company to work for in Western MA
Senior System Engineer (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAJanuary 1, 2019
Worked for them as a contractor. Management had hired for the wrong kind of position from the start. Management gave no direction for the first month of working there. The culture perpetuates doing as little work as possible without getting fired, while still looking good enough not to get replaced by outsourcing firm. There is a great deal of siloing here, every department has little fiefdoms where everyone will be happy to start a corporate war over literally nothing. uppermanagement has no idea what is going on in the company and there is easily over 10 years of tech debt ( I saw tons of windows NT boxes and unix systems from the late 90's).
Pros
Close to where I live
Cons
too many to mention here
Pluses and Minuses
Sales Support Consultant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 19, 2019
The company does some things well and other things poorly. They offer on-site cafeteria, coffee shop, and small shop. There are other services available such as a salon, dry cleaning, farmers market, and regular visits from outside vendors. These provide convenience. There are business resource groups (formerly employee resource groups) for various aspects of diversity and inclusion efforts.

There is also quite a bit of inconsistency between managers, it's a high-stress environment, layoffs come fairly regularly, and upper management verbally promotes work/life balance but there isn't a system in place to make sure it's happening. A wellness program is in place but whether time can be dedicated to it or not varies by manager. Technological advances are made for customers but not for employees. Upper management says they want problem solving and efficiencies made but employees are always told there aren't any funds to make it happen. Tech for employees is way behind.
Pros
On-site services & discounts, resource/business groups, visiting vendors, farmers market
Cons
Low advancement in employee tech/software, inconsistent manager behavior, high-stress, lack of incorporating identified efficiencies, change happens very slowly, not very many opportunities to advance career
I love MassMutual
Consultant under CFO (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 13, 2019
I worked there for more than 20 years and loved it. I had growth over the years.

MM had, over the years, laid people off. As the years progressed, the layoffs became more frequent. I understand that, they want to streamline business and increase the policyholders dividend payout. But it is sad for me that I could not continue my career until retirement (less than 10 years away).

I still stand by this company. I had an awesome career, and many great managers.

My area of the company did not have a work life balance. And this was more prominent for the folks who were higher paid/skilled.

It's been said that millenials don't stay long in a job anyway.
Pros
Salary, health insurance, vacation, 401K & pension
Cons
no work life balance, frequent fear of layoffs.
Headed Downhill
Agency Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAFebruary 6, 2019
A good Company headed nose-down to destruction. Constant change/ to No management in this facility. No job security, No job advancement, poor salary increases- if any. Irresponsible leadership with no values, favoritism plays a big part from Director of Operations, among others in up management.
Absolutely no Racial equality. Non-skilled staff employees with '0' professional ethics make it, their everyday playground & create office rules at their favor.
Pros
Cons
all of the above
A wonderful job ,great learning opportunity with a prestigious firm
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 21, 2018
As jobs go, this is hands-down one of the best I have ever had.

My bosses are wonderful, very flexible and patient and great professionals at what they do. The workload is not usually too heavy but it is pretty fast-paced (although sometimes it can get very hectic) and work/life balance is respected (no overtime/nights/weekends required).

I would like to be able to have health insurance and a more competitive salary but overall, Mass Mutual is a wonderful company to work for.
Pros
No micromanagement, work/life balance, respect, great bosses, learned a lot about finance
Cons
Low salary, no benefits
love my job
CLIENT MANAGEMENT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Enfield, CTNovember 13, 2018
welcoming environment, lots of benefits, flexible hours and dress code, diverse culture. management is approachable and likeable. i enjoy what i do and being a employee with MassMutual.
Good company
Treasury Consultant, Derivatives (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAOctober 10, 2018
Good company other than some outsourcing. As a policy holder I am very impressed with the management team. They offer a good work life balance and a good culture...
Pros
Cons
Outsourcing
Good workplace for people with connections
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 28, 2018
I learned a lot about financial services including, but not limited to: life insurance, disability insurance, fixed and variable annuities, long-term care insurance, investments, and group benefits, including 401k/403b retirement plans.

A typical day at work would consist of meeting with prospects and/or clients or trying to book meeting with prospects and/or clients. Other daily tasks include running illustrations/proposals for aforementioned products. Meetings for training and development.

Workplace culture is good. Friendly and helpful staff.
Overall Management is fantastic, local management is hit or miss.
The most enjoyable part of the job is making a direct impact on the financial well-being of the people you interact with.
Pros
write your own schedule
Cons
very limited help with obtaining prospects/clients and starting up
A great place to work.
IT Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MASeptember 25, 2018
This place was a great place to work at. Although it could be stressful at times. Management made it tolerable and praised everyone for the work they did.
Would not work here again
Underwriting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PAAugust 5, 2018
This was one of the worst companies I worked for. The systems were so dated that people made mistakes regularly. We are talking conducting interviews with clients on a word document, copying and pasting to pdf and sending to India. If one small error was wrong it messed up the system. All the systems were like this.

Nothing was good enough for them either. At one point I had the highest production in our Unit and had a 99 percent and was still getting lambasted regularly by multiple people Not all of these people were bosses .
They set up a culture of children telling on each other. People did not work well together- even across departments it was very much a whom can we blame culture with no one wanting to take responsibility. Training was not uniform. It was a mess.

There was very little to no work life balance. When things got busy- usually due to poor scheduling you are expected to drop everything. I had one manager who was a micromanager and one who did absolutely nothing. Neither was conducive to a happy or productive work environment. During both regimes if a customer had a question none of my co workers could answer it usually took days to get an answer and only after bugging management repeatedly.

The pay is not based on skill but favortism. The benefits were horrible. Pretty much every aspect of working there was.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
Pretty much everything else
Good starter job, lack of growth
Life Underwriter, MMUS New Business & Underwriting (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MASeptember 4, 2018
Career advancement lacking, pay did not match market competitors and health benefits are awful. Too many layers of management - too many cooks in the kitchen.
Pros
Vacation time, Pension
Cons
Healthcare, compensation
N/a
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 20, 2019
Unstable management, regular reorgs, and lack of remote working opportunities make this a difficult place for flexibility and career development. Choose wisely.
Work Life Balance
Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 29, 2019
Great work life balance at MassMutual. Management needs to listen how changes impact employees and empower individuals to make choices for their professional growth.
Constant layoffs in IT
INFORMATION RISK ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJanuary 22, 2019
I worked in IT at MassMutual for 2 years. In that time hundreds of individuals were layed off and people were in contracted positions (no benefits, less pay, etc.) for two + years. Instead of hiring them full-time, they kept them on as contractors to avoid paying extra. The morale throughout the company is lacking but it is especially bad in IT where even the most experienced professionals worry about losing their jobs.
Pros
Company outings
Cons
Pay, culture, leadership
Don't work here if you have other options!
Participant Information Center Advisor (Former Employee) –  Enfield, CTJanuary 16, 2019
I was told this place was a good one to work at but it is not. No support, terrible training, and they throw you to the wolves to figure things out on your own. You are not taught enough about investments (which participants ask about) so you sound like an idiot not having any idea what they're talking about. Co-workers are lazy and don't do the job right, then you are expected to clean up their mess. Half of the managers in the call center don't do anything, one has never even taken a call in her life and doesn't know the systems we use. You can change your schedule every quarter based on your metrics which include your handle time, but to do the job right it sometimes takes longer. They care more about quantity than quality. There is so much wrong with how this call center is run. If you don't mind having to apologize all the time for constant processing or other reps mistakes, then this place is perfect for you. It gets draining to have no support from upper management and see people get away with being lazy while you're getting yelled at for taking the time to do it right.

Hard work here does not pay off unless you stick it out for a year and leave the call center.
Pros
Decent starting pay, wireless headsets and desks that allow you to stand
Cons
Benefits suck, no support after the terrible training, miserable environment
Transitioned from The Hartford afterr MM acquistion of retirement division
Managing Director (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDJanuary 31, 2019
MM acquired the retirement division of The Hartford in 2013. No incentive to stay. Many unknowns in transition. Mostly autonomous territory management. Towards leaving in 2018, management would infer that my territory might be eliminated. Had many loyal adviser relationships for repeat business. Assisted too many FA's in start up plans for no compensation and unfortunately no future commissionable business. No loyalty. Products were priced a little out of market averages. Many of my TPA relationships complimented by skills and knowledge above peer group.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Micromananaging activites for the sake of control
glorified call center
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 5, 2018
not a good work culture or environment, high turnover. Even though you are licensed in insurance and/or investments the office is small and little opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Cons
no comment
No place for advancement
New Business (Former Employee) –  South FloridaNovember 15, 2018
Supervisors are not great in mentoring or acknowledging good work; negative feedback is usually highlighted. Normal to good benefits; somewhat flexible. Low pay and no place for growth.
benefits
Cons
poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MassMutual Financial Group. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at MassMutual Financial Group.

Powered by Comparably