MasterBrand Cabinets Employee Reviews

A great place to work - While it lasted.
Product Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Auburn, ALNovember 26, 2018
I worked to launch changes and new products.
I learned some new techniques in program management.
The management was not overbearing and did not micro manage.
The people were great for the most part.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with the quality issues created by equipment and poorly trained operators.
The best part of the job was the satisfaction of a project completed.
Pros
Great people, good management
Cons
Quality Issues and plant closure.
4 Star Work Place
Stain Wiper (Former Employee) –  FerdJanuary 10, 2019
Masterbrand is a very well-paying establishment. Although, you have to deal with 12 hour shifts, achy muscles, loud equipment, lack of ability to spend time with family and even sleep. If you can tolerate those cons then Masterbrand offers tons of pros! For me, I enjoy and value family time and there wasn't much work/life balance.
Pros
health, vision and dental insurance, 401K, paid vacation
Cons
long hours, foot and back straining
Masterbrand is a joke of a business
Runwiper (Former Employee) –  Arthur, ILDecember 6, 2018
Masterbrand doesn't keep track of points correctly. They short your checks, have horrible management. While working here one of our bosses came in the plant to help out after being short handed and didn't know how to do anything in the plant. Including using a staple gun. Your bosses should know at least a little about the work going on in the plant in order to understand employee frustrations. The point system is impossible to work with. People have had heart attacks in the plant and they still give them a point. They have pregnant women work in the paint room/environment. They fire people for no reason yet hire people that are impossible to work with. 10/10 would NOT recommend masterbrand as a good work environment. Only positive is the pay grade.
Poor Working Environment and Management
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kinston, NCNovember 14, 2018
Complete lack of planning, no support from management for supervisors.
Constant lack of parts / supplies needed to meet daily production goals.
Nothing being done at this facility that couldn't be outsourced overseas at significant cost saving.
Facility in another state shut down overnight and everyone let go with no notice. Known locally for lay-offs and poor work/life balance.
Great benefits, poor management
Shipping Department-offbear (Current Employee) –  Ferdinand, INDecember 8, 2018
Was getting about 4-6 hrs overtime when I started, but haven't had any in the last 9-12 months. Only been getting 7-8 hrs a day. Probably would be good for a husband and wife to work there. But a single guy it's hard, with no overtime. Meet some good people and some mean people.
Pros
Not too many, except the benefits are great.
Cons
Short breaks, no a/c, not long enough for lunch break.
Mis-Managed
Lead Tech/Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Lexington, NCOctober 23, 2018
Constant turnover with management leads to a ton of confusion and lack of faith in job security. Advanced pretty quickly but now I'm stuck in a position. Point system is horrible and makes no sense. Seems as if management makes things up as they go along. Management has a lack of professionalism and seems to show favoritism to some.
Pros
Decent hours
Cons
Managment
Masterbrand Cabinets
Base/Wall Line Production/TPM (Former Employee) –  Ferdinand, INDecember 2, 2018
I spent almost 5 years with Masterbrand Cabinets and I enjoyed many of the years working for the company. I had a role as a TPM in the South Warehouse which I also enjoyed until working for two sloppy management partners who target employees and make them quit their job.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Terrible Management
Very fast pased and repetitive motion is required
Finisher 1 (Former Employee) –  Grants Pass, ORSeptember 17, 2018
The finishing department and jobs performed are very fast passed and time sensitive. It gets very stressful and overwhelming at times. The repetitive motions can cause some ergonomic aches, pains, and sometimes long term injuries. There are many other departments that MBCI offers as well for employment, but all are just as equally demanding if not more. Management is pretty good and personable with the staff and understanding for the most part. The hardest part about the job is keeping up with the demand and maintaining the up most quality at the same time. the staff and co-workers is probably the most enjoyable part of the job ad they are fun and energetic to work with.
Pros
Decent starting wage and benifits
Cons
Repetitive motions, aches, pains, and the fast pased demand
Meat Grinder
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Ferdinand, INAugust 30, 2018
Very fast paced, hot, stressful, meat grinder of a job. They hire just enough people every week to replace the ones that either quit or get fired. If your young and don't do anything during the week this might be a good job for you. Nights work 10-11 hrs a day 4 days a week, if your not at work your resting for the next shift. The jobs are repetitive so be ready to stand in one spot doing the same thing for the entire shift.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Job
People
Rip Saw Operator/Rip Saw Handler (Former Employee) –  Lexington, NCAugust 23, 2018
Some of the people there were straight up horrible! Mostly the Hispanic and African Americans . Thinking the world all owes them something because of their ancestors being slaves! We are all slaves!! Slaves to the almighty dollar! Plus the management was all uptight and demanding. They preach a good game, but when it comes down to it, they are all full of it
Pros
Good money and benefits
Cons
People, and Managment
Industry leader
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  RemoteSeptember 5, 2018
Sales positions are often outsourced to independent rep agencies. Each agency has it's own management style. Many are good while others are not. My ratings for the company are based upon the agency I worked for which was not one of the better ones. The company itself seemed to be more focused on employees.
Pros
Strong company
Cons
Independent agencies
Loved everything about the job except for my boss and the hours went a little extensive
Saw operator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IANovember 8, 2018
Masterbrand cabinets overall it's a good place to work except for the lack of management in my area was awful and the whole working well over your hours into a swing shift pretty much made it unreasonable to work for
great place to work with a family atmosphere
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Kinston, NCDecember 12, 2018
I have work for Masterbrand for 14 yrs. It has been great working with this company. I have seen a lot of changes happen over the time that I have been here. I can say they have mostly been for the good.
Pros
yearly increases in pay
Cons
sometimes long hrs.
Stressful Management and no communication
Associate (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IASeptember 25, 2018
Upper management, General Manager, high level managers, and mid level managers often refuse to take structural input from various sources and opt to instead make the decisions despite previous evidence of failure of the new processes. Unwilling to admit when wrong and favoritism is rampant between various management level employees as well as the multiple hourly employees that carry multiple years of experience. The workplace is stressful and morale is low from the hourly employees as well as management. The hardest part of the job is trying to make educated decisions when communication does not happen between various departments. Often times communication is deliberately withheld in order for individuals to dictate blame for certain job functions not being performed.
Pros
Hourly employees earn two weeks of paid vacation after 60 days.
Cons
Lack of communication.
Not worth the stress
shipper (Former Employee) –  Grants Pass, ORDecember 23, 2018
I worked at masterbrand for almost two and a half years their points policy needs work get points for everything. There intenement policy needs work they don't specify certain things like facial hair being too long their HR department it's probably the worst I've seen improper investigations no matter what you say they twisted and use it against you they favor certain people because of who their parents are and what position they work in the company no matter how hard you work you never get a good job you never get any recognition at all the hours started off okay at first and then it was too much overtime straight to no overtime.
If you just want to go to work make money and go home then masterbrands the place but if you want to move up and make something out of the time you work there it's not for you whether you've been there 2 years or 14 years you get treated the same
Pros
Good benefits, decent pay, 401k
Cons
Their HR Dept, stressful atmosphere, and their safety entanglement policies
Amazing place to work and a very friendly environment
Cabinet Door Assembly (Former Employee) –  Goshen, INNovember 17, 2018
Let me start off by saying thay Masterbrand is hands down the best company I have ever worked for! The HR ladies are incredibly friendly and understanding. I miss this job every day and only wished I lived closer! I was on the door line amd enjoyed showing up for my job every day and worked with a great group of people. Masterbrand takes safety to a whole new level of serious, which creates a secure environment and safe place to work. They give scrap bonuses and their benefits are out of this world, no other company could try to compete, hands down! Orientation isnt the same-ole dreaded presentation, although there is no avoiding those boring videos no matter where you go. All in all, no matter how much I say no words could ever match how much i loved amd enjoyed working at Masterbrand.
Pros
Nice pay and benefits, clean and friendly environment
Cons
Extremely strict point system and a lot of rules (comparable to highschool, lockers and all)
Masterbrand is actually a good place to work but need to be more competitive with the wages. There turnover rate is unbelievable.
Lead Tech (Current Employee) –  Lexington, NCJuly 15, 2018
The turnover rate is incredible mostly due to the type of work. It takes a very dedicated and energetic person with determination and motivation to work on a production line and having to meet production goals. It's not for e everyone but I do believe it they would up the starting pay it would make a huge difference. The benefits are good and they do alot of extra activities often to keep moral up. They are in the process of alot of management and plant changes right now so I am excited to see what happens 😊
Benefits
Cons
Wages could be higher
Good benefits
Material Handler/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 28, 2018
Had to work with different people till I had I trained to fit the right team the language barrier was getting broke Dow because they where teaching me Spanish
Pros
You get to buy cabinets
Cons
There was a big language barrier
Ok
Relief Operator (Former Employee) –  Arthur, ILJanuary 14, 2019
Its ok to work at just some of the people you work with like too much drama and make it very difficult to maintain you composure at work. Also it depends on the department you work at too. Overall id recommend working there. I wouldnt mind going back.
Really good place to work
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Newton, KSDecember 28, 2018
It was a awesome place to work so things were bad but it paid good the hours weren’t to bad and you got paid time off for the holidays they were understanding about issues like if you were late or couldn’t come in.
Pros
Felt like a family

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MasterBrand Cabinets. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight